Can't get into Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can't get into Kai

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:06 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:31 am
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 pmThere are a number of Buu arc episodes in the Dragon Box that have a green tint to them.
Not like Boo Kai does.... Not at all like Boo Kai does.
Well, the super bright episodes look atrocious, especially since there's a cyan tint, and somehow the whites have become darker than the surrounding colors (every time in the past I tried removing it, the skin was always brighter than the eyes), and honestly I think color wise these episodes as bad as the worst looking episodes of the Orange Brick Season 2.
As for the green tint. I think in these Dragon Box episodes with the green tint, that Kai looks better:

Z:

Kai:

In the Kai shot Goku's skin, hair and dougi are much closer to their proper color tones than in the Dragon Box where everything is just nasty lime green.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:06 pmAs for the green tint. I think in these Dragon Box episodes with the green tint, that Kai looks better:
I never owned the orange bricks, but those screenshots all look better than Boo Kai color-wise. However, that image of Vegeta seems a bit too high in contrast (or just too damn bright, whatever). And I completely disagree with you on Boo Kai. The first picture, despite being lime green, has detail. Boo Kai has all of it removed thanks to DNR. It's a smeary mess with no texture.

SleazyLaFlare

Post by SleazyLaFlare » Thu May 14, 2020 1:08 pm

I didn’t read through the entire thread but me personally I enjoy it a lot more only because I grew up with z and just remember it taking forever plus all the filler. Kai is just an easier watch for me now considering every week in either rewatching DB, Kai, Super or the movies.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:23 pm I don't know... I mean, the Japanese side is what I'm most into, and while I used to prefer watching Kai's superior dub, I just don't really care much about it anymore, since I've begun watching Z almost exclusively again, and at this point I kind of feel more like watching the old Z dub since I get nostalgia out of that, and when I want to watch an actually good product, Z in Japanese is the best way to go.

I think the cheapness of Kai TFC and the poor Kikuchi placement in the first Kai is what has worn me out of Kai and made me just feel like watching the original again.
I started feeling the same way about a year ago and I'm currently going through DBZ again but this time in Japanese. On the dub side of things I will always watch Kai for the Freeza saga as the original Z dub for it sounds way too cringy for me