Funi's Kai dub and accuracy

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Funi's Kai dub and accuracy

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm

I can understand thinking the Faulconer score sounds out of place, though I personally wouldn't call it generic as I can't think of another soundtrack that sounds anything like it.

Some of the dialogue is laughable, didn't really notice that as a kid, but even as an adult I can honestly i've heard WAY WAY worse, having seen as many bad pieces of media as I have, i've long stopped caring about a dub being off-base in regards to accuracy or having a few corny jokes thrown in for the hell of it. I totally get why that pisses off purists, but I just personally can't bring myself to give a shit about that sort of thing anymore(especially not right now with everything that's happening in the world).

The voice-acting is certainly rough around the edges and takes a little while before the VAs find their voices so to speak, but it never got into outright unlistenable territory for me(unlike say the Odex One Piece dub).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm I can understand thinking the Faulconer score sounds out of place, though I personally wouldn't call it generic as I can't think of another soundtrack that sounds anything like it.

Some of the dialogue is laughable, didn't really notice that as a kid, but even as an adult I can honestly i've heard WAY WAY worse, having seen as many bad pieces of media as I have, i've long stopped caring about a dub being off-base in regards to accuracy or having a few corny jokes thrown in for the hell of it. I totally get why that pisses off purists, but I just personally can't bring myself to give a shit about that sort of thing anymore(especially not right now with everything that's happening in the world).

The voice-acting is certainly rough around the edges and takes a little while before the VAs find their voices so to speak, but it never got into outright unlistenable territory for me(unlike say the Odex One Piece dub).
It's not great but i've certainly seen much worse like the Big Green and Speedy dubs, those are so horrible voice wise they make the in house FUNi dub amatureshly acted and rough though it may be look great by comparison.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:35 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:00 pm Super comes off like Funimation is aggressively pandering to the Dragon Ball Z Abridge crowd.
That's that they are. Specifically, Chris Sabat is as he's the ADR Director for all Dragon Ball material. Let's all remember when he said on Twitter that since everyone had seen Super that their dub would "do something different." He's the one behind getting members of TeamFourStar to come in and voice characters for the Cell Games reenactment. He is definitely pandering to the DBZA crowd as he himself is a fan and doesn't care about integrity of the original product. I say this because it isn't Funimation as a whole. My Hero Academia has an excellent dub in terms of faithfulness to the original version and it's that Colleen Clinkenbeard does the ADR, not the assclown Sabat. Here is an interview with her released around the time of the most recent movie "Heroes Rising."
What are some of the challenges that you run into as a director when translating over to English?
I mean, there’s differences between cultures that – it’s funny, because it’s a challenge and what makes it awesome. So I don’t want it to call it a difficulty. But there’s little differences in the idioms or the way that someone would say something or in values, honestly. There are little differences between cultures and things you wouldn’t normally see in American movies that come across in anime, and I think that’s part of what the fans really attach to and are interested in and intrigues them, and it’s something that kind of makes the genre fresh and interesting. But it also makes it a very difficult needle to thread, to make sure that you’re staying close enough to the original to keep the integrity and to keep the intention that was there in the first place while simultaneously making it seamless to an American or an English-speaking audience so that they feel those characters are actually speaking their native tongue, and saying things that they would normally say as the character. It’s a line to walk and it’s something that I’ve made my career on. [Laughs]
Are you afraid of taking too much liberty with the Japanese script?
Yes, I’m very cautious about that. I’m probably too cautious about that. I tend to sway toward the translation if there’s any question, because I want the fans to get the authenticity of the original. And I want them to trust us that we are translating for them the actual experience that was intended. So I’ll tend to sway toward the translation, but it’s a line that you have to walk, and I think what helps is being a fan. If when I read the script that we have from our ADR translators and ADR scriptwriters, if that feels authentic, then I know that we’ve hit the mark.
Meanwhile, we have Sabat making references to DBZA with Nappa's line "I hate the media!" or changing lines for no reason. It isn't Funimation but Sabat's fault that the dub for Kai and Super are as bad as they are with Super being a tad too similar to the original Z dub.

Seriously, fuck him.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:12 pmHonestly it's amazing Cartoon Network even agreed to air season 3
Don't be an idiot dude. Remember, back when we were all kids and watched DBZ--even season 3 by Funi--we loved it. We ate that shit up. We were also the target audience for Cartoon Network and it made them money when we asked our parents to buy toys. Nothing about quality or lines has to do with it and you know that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 pm

No need to call him an idiot. That’s so lame. Have a real conversation.

I dunno how old you were, but I was in high school and legitimately thought FUNi would be laughed out of the Cartoon Network offices when I first watched that Captain Ginyu tape in spring 1999. To me it was unwatchable then and it’s unwatchable now. I’m still confused how anyone liked it, and think it’s the show’s inherent qualities shining through the awfulness combined with the inertia of its already-proven-success that allowed it to continue like that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:22 pm No need to call him an idiot. That’s so lame. Have a real conversation.

I dunno how old you were, but I was in high school and legitimately thought FUNi would be laughed out of the Cartoon Network offices when I first watched that Captain Ginyu tape in spring 1999. To me it was unwatchable then and it’s unwatchable now. I’m still confused how anyone liked it, and think it’s the show’s inherent qualities shining through the awfulness combined with the inertia of its already-proven-success that allowed it to continue like that.
Sorry VegettoEX. I'll watch myself better next time. But yeah, you technically weren't Cartoon Network's target audience when Z was airing. High schoolers are 14-18 and that channel is aimed more at the kids and tweens. To us, Z was awesome even with the Saban dub, and it was awesome with the original Funi dub (ie. not the revision that started with the orange bricks). It doesn't matter how cheesy it sounds to adults or teenagers like high schoolers because they are older and can see these things better/in a more mature manner. Again, you also were not the target audience of that channel.

For reference, I was 5 when I first turned on my TV and saw my first episode of DBZ. I was trying to watch The New Adventures of Johnny Quest and instead saw a gigantic ape stumbling around and a green dude blew up the moon soon after (1997). I started watching the show thereon and never saw any problems with the dialogue because I was the target audience--a kid. I still remember the month long battle between Goku and Freeza when I was in second grade, and how someone told me that the energy discs Freeza throws at Goku also poison the person if they hit him/her (lol).

So yeah, all of us who grew up like that thought it was the shit. Looking back I really cringe, but I'm turning 28 in a little over a month. I'm no longer who that was intended for.

EDIT: FWIW, even though it's for 2018 and not 2000, I tried looking up age statistics of CN's viewers. Unfortunately, you might need to pay for access. I don't feel like making an account to see what non-premium statistics are.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/228 ... -days-usa/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:20 am

Planetnamek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:27 pm I can understand thinking the Faulconer score sounds out of place, though I personally wouldn't call it generic as I can't think of another soundtrack that sounds anything like it.

Call me butthurt but I think this is uncalled for. I know anime is a small thing when it comes to whole picture but you are saying purists care more about a cartoon than things that actually matter and I cant help but feel this is uncalled for.

I still like you a lot because of the unique point of view you add to the forum but please dont say that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:20 am

Call me butthurt but I think this is uncalled for. I know anime is a small thing when it comes to whole picture but you are saying purists care more about a cartoon than things that actually matter and I cant help but feel this is uncalled for.

I still like you a lot because of the unique point of view you add to the forum but please dont say that.
Actually no I wasn't really saying that at all, I was just saying that for me personally I just can't bring myself to care about the changes made, but i'm not saying others being bothered by them means their feelings aren't valid or anything like that. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:47 pm

I thought in in-hourse dub was bad and a downgrade from the Saiyan/Namek saga. But it was new episodes and not only did I not have access to the Japanese version outside a few clips shared on sites of old

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am

I've decided to go through Kai recently and found an interesting remnant of its censored dub. When Vegeta is fighting 18 (I think), she blasts a van head-on. While obviously in the original, there was no dialog from the occupants of the van, the dub had someone shouting, "My van!" As if the person inside was safe and sound. I thought they was kind of funny.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am I've decided to go through Kai recently and found an interesting remnant of its censored dub. When Vegeta is fighting 18 (I think), she blasts a van head-on. While obviously in the original, there was no dialog from the occupants of the van, the dub had someone shouting, "My van!" As if the person inside was safe and sound. I thought they was kind of funny.
Yeah, this is quite well known. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my super-long post in the last page, somewhere among my ridiculous, overblown ranting.

Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2WLFskmx-4
Though it happens to be from a capture of the TV edit, in this case, the uncut version is the same.

It's a shame they never fixed it as far as accuracy is concerned, but it's pretty damn funny if you're not expecting it. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:00 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am I've decided to go through Kai recently and found an interesting remnant of its censored dub. When Vegeta is fighting 18 (I think), she blasts a van head-on. While obviously in the original, there was no dialog from the occupants of the van, the dub had someone shouting, "My van!" As if the person inside was safe and sound. I thought they was kind of funny.
Yeah, this is quite well known. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my super-long post in the last page, somewhere among my ridiculous, overblown ranting.

Here's the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2WLFskmx-4
Though it happens to be from a capture of the TV edit, in this case, the uncut version is the same.

It's a shame they never fixed it as far as accuracy is concerned, but it's pretty damn funny if you're not expecting it. :lol:
I've found that particular one weird ever since i first heard it in the episode almost eight or nine years ago, it almost reminds me of the "Look, I can see their parachutes" and "Blew up the cargo robot" edits from the 1996 dub. Did they accidentally insert it into the uncut version?
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:34 pm I've found that particular one weird ever since i first heard it in the episode almost eight or nine years ago, it almost reminds me of the "Look, I can see their parachutes" and "Blew up the cargo robot" edits from the 1996 dub. Did they accidentally insert it into the uncut version.
Oh, it's definitely an accident. The line wasn't in the Japanese to my knowledge, and it's clearly a "TV-safe" line... Its inclusion in uncut will have just been an editing oversight. Maybe if people had emailed and Tweeted in when the Kikuchi replacement was happening, they may have been able to fix it for the re-released Blu-rays/DVDs, but I think at this point it's too late.

Stuff like this happens all the time. I think Funi's "Remastered" mixes of DBZ have some moments where characters' mouths move, but they say no dialogue. Can't think of any similar-enough-to-mention non-Dragon Ball examples, but I'm sure someone here more knowledgeable about other anime dubs (or movies or something?) could drop an interesting one or two.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:34 pm I've found that particular one weird ever since i first heard it in the episode almost eight or nine years ago, it almost reminds me of the "Look, I can see their parachutes" and "Blew up the cargo robot" edits from the 1996 dub. Did they accidentally insert it into the uncut version.
Oh, it's definitely an accident. The line wasn't in the Japanese to my knowledge, and it's clearly a "TV-safe" line... Its inclusion in uncut will have just been an editing oversight. Maybe if people had emailed and Tweeted in when the Kikuchi replacement was happening, they may have been able to fix it for the re-released Blu-rays/DVDs, but I think at this point it's too late.

Stuff like this happens all the time. I think Funi's "Remastered" mixes of DBZ have some moments where characters' mouths move, but they say no dialogue. Can't think of any similar-enough-to-mention non-Dragon Ball examples, but I'm sure someone here more knowledgeable about other anime dubs (or movies or something?) could drop an interesting one or two.
I assume that was a mixup that FUNi made at some point during the dubbing process, and the line was only intended to be in the edited Nicktoons and CW/Toonzai version but somehow got put in the uncut release by mistake and it was far enough along that there was no time to correct it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:02 pm

It’s not difficult to see how “Dude, my truck!” was accidentally left in the uncut version. FUNimation had to rush the episodes out so they could air on television, and I’d imagine that the then recent Yammamoto scandal probably didn’t make things any easier.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Maybe Vegeta was "holding back". 8) If Krillin can somehow survive a Kamehameha from Blue Goku, then surely the truck guy (let's call him Bob) can survive a ki blast from a Ssj1. Bob should've entered the Tenkaichi tournament. With that said, it's just a mistake and Bob is unfortunately no longer among us. He will be missed. :cry:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Funny thing is that back when I first heard that error, I was certain that the truck driver guy would gain a memetic Internet following, in the same way as the Farmer with a Shotgun, but it never happened.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pm

There really aren't many lines that are completely accurate. Even if the "general idea" of what each character is saying is close to the original, the sentence structure and dialogue is still changed.

Every character says lines that are altered and it makes no sense.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:31 pm

precita wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 pm There really aren't many lines that are completely accurate. Even if the "general idea" of what each character is saying is close to the original, the sentence structure and dialogue is still changed.

Every character says lines that are altered and it makes no sense.
That’s kind of inevitable, though. Apart from the fact that you need to match the lip flaps, the dialogue would likely sound a bit awkward and stiff if it copied the subtitles to a T.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 pm

The lines don't sound too awkward when you read the subtitles though. Either way, most dialogue is still not translated 1:1 in the Kai dub. I think the problem is the dub gets the "general idea" of what the characters should be saying, but it mixes things around and it doesn't always have the same effect. Sure this isn't the DBZ dub where FUNI just made up stuff out of thin air and had characters say things either out of character or contradicted the source material, but the Kai dub is only marginally better in that regard.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:30 pm

precita wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 pm The lines don't sound too awkward when you read the subtitles though. Either way, most dialogue is still not translated 1:1 in the Kai dub. I think the problem is the dub gets the "general idea" of what the characters should be saying, but it mixes things around and it doesn't always have the same effect. Sure this isn't the DBZ dub where FUNI just made up stuff out of thin air and had characters say things either out of character or contradicted the source material, but the Kai dub is only marginally better in that regard.
If a bunch of actors were asked to read the subtitles out loud, much of it would sound awkward and stiff.