UK Kai Seasons going out of print

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

UK Kai Seasons going out of print

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 am

Just enquired with Manga UK about the mysterious disappearing listings, specifically for Blu-Rays for Kai Seasons 2-4 on almost all online retailers (Zavvi, base.com, Amazon to name but a few).

Turns out these sets are now out of print, so presumably the Season 1 sets that can still be bought are leftover stock. If anyone wants a new copy of at least the first 26 episodes with the Yamamoto score I urge you to purchase it as this may be your last chance of getting one. Curiously Zavvi still has all four seasons, but DVD only except for season 1.

Wonder what this will mean for the Final Chapters sets. Guessing over time they will be discontinued too.

Sad to see as the Funi dub of Kai is great, but maybe, just maybe this may make way for a future Ocean Kai boxset. A man can dream.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: UK Kai Seasons going out of print

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 am

That is a real shame, as they were only released in 2015. Maybe they don't want it competing with Z?

I will say that while I always see DB/Z/GT/Super in HMV, I never see Kai. I know it didn't sell that well, but would have hoped it would stay in print for a few more years for those who don't have it. I was actually wondering if we'd get a complete series boxset like Australia did, but I guess not.

Looks like I picked the right time to get TFC.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:45 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 am That is a real shame, as they were only released in 2015. Maybe they don't want it competing with Z?

I will say that while I always see DB/Z/GT/Super in HMV, I never see Kai. I know it didn't sell that well, but would have hoped it would stay in print for a few more years for those who don't have it. I was actually wondering if we'd get a complete series boxset like Australia did, but I guess not.

Looks like I picked the right time to get TFC.
Never thought about internal competition, but that definitely could be a factor. I never specified in my mesage I had seasons 1 and 2 and was hoping to get 3 and 4 (I have US seasons for all four), but in Manga UK's response they did mention the new Z Blu-Rays in case I was interested. It's definitely a smart business move to divert people's attention to the Z sets for now.

Sadly we have no HMVs left in Ireland, but I do recall them having Kai back when it was released in 2015. Head Records, when the were open had it too, at least in Dublin, I was at the Belfast branch but they only had DB/Z/GT, Super wasn't released when I was there.

Maybe once the Z seasons have been out for a while and sold well we will get a Complete Series set for Kai and the individual seasons will be back? They did release that complete set for GT a few years after the initial seasons after all.

We also probably still have a few more years in this resurgence of Dragon Ball so Manga UK will more than likely want to keep the money train going as long as they can until we have another draught.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Didn't Funimation buy Manga UK ? they might be planning on a new release to replace these, as I just can't see them throwing away such a big part of the franchise like that.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Madman's Australian sets were the same Yamamoto/Kikuchi mix as the UK ones, weren't they? Those would still be an option for region B.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:22 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm Madman's Australian sets were the same Yamamoto/Kikuchi mix as the UK ones, weren't they? Those would still be an option for region B.
From what I hear Manga UKs Blu-Rays and DVD seasons were based on Madman's Parts and Complete Collection respectively, the former uses Yamamoto up to Episode 39 and the latter uses the score for episodes 1-13 and 27-39.

Apparently later printings of all Madman's sets used the Kikuchi score for all 98 episodes, but there would probably be some second hand copies with Yamamoto lying around. I've never heard any reports of Manga UK replacing the score though, so luckily for anyone who doesn't have it they'll probably know what they're getting if they purchase second hand or with any of the remaining new copies.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:22 am From what I hear Manga UKs Blu-Rays and DVD seasons were based on Madman's Parts and Complete Collection respectively, the former uses Yamamoto up to Episode 39 and the latter uses the score for episodes 1-13 and 27-39.

Apparently later printings of all Madman's sets used the Kikuchi score for all 98 episodes, but there would probably be some second hand copies with Yamamoto lying around. I've never heard any reports of Manga UK replacing the score though, so luckily for anyone who doesn't have it they'll probably know what they're getting if they purchase second hand or with any of the remaining new copies.
It still amazes me that Manga UK got away with including that score on their release in 2015. I remember being really pleasantly surprised by it, as we were all expecting the Kikuchi score for the whole run.

I'd already watched Kai on Kix beforehand, which used the Kikuchi score. Being able to watch Kai uncut with Yamamoto for the first time really made me appreciate it a lot more.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am

https://www.base.com/fsearch.htm?search ... 85716eafc7

Looks like they're back in print again. It will be interesting to see if new copies being printed now still have the Yamamoto score, especially because Manga UK is now trading as Funimation, even in Region B.

Ka-Kui

Post by Ka-Kui » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Hey, All. I'm new here and this is my first post.

Anybody know if it's confirmed that the reprinted sets contain the Yamamoto score or the Kikuchi score? I'm looking to start purchasing the Kai collection on Blu-Ray.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:05 pm

Ka-Kui wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:47 pm Hey, All. I'm new here and this is my first post.

Anybody know if it's confirmed that the reprinted sets contain the Yamamoto score or the Kikuchi score? I'm looking to start purchasing the Kai collection on Blu-Ray.
I've not heard any reports of any copies of the UK Blu-Rays having the Kikuchi score for the first 39 episodes, so I doubt any copies were made.

We know that the reprinted sets from both the US and Australia are exclusively Kikuchi. If Kai gets a reprint here it probably won't have Yamamoto, especially now that Manga UK are just Funimation.