Animation: Z VS Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Animation: Z VS Kai

Post by Yosheets » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Which animation do you like better? Z's, or Kai's?

I think Z and Kai have advantages and disadvantages over each other in animation quality. However, despite the flaws of the Boo Arc Kai, I think it's almost objectively better than Z in animation and an improvement to other Kai Arcs in animation.

Planetnamek
Banned

Re: Animation: Z VS Kai

Post by Planetnamek » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:18 am

I can't watch Boo Kai because of that stupid green tint.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:19 am

The animation is the same??? It's literally the same drawings.

Some of Kai's few redrawn scenes screw up the timing, but everything else is literally just degrained and color-corrected.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am

Z for me, hands down. Kai had:
- Clumsy edits (Mostly in Saiyan Saga)
- Horrible green tint in Boo Saga
- Terrible redrawn in Flash style random scenes
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:23 pm

This is sort of like asking what's better: France or Paris?

Kai was made from the film masters of Z....so they have same animation, besides the redraws. If you meant to ask which has the better picture quality, then it's not really a matter of Z vs. Kai, but rather a question of "Which Z remaster looks the best: the Dragon Box, the Level Sets, or Kai?".

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 am

I don't know about animation but in terms of art, Kai is very clearly edited and removes so much of the detail of the art that a lot of the times it looks like someone drew over the original art with MS paint marker.
We the ones

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:45 am

The animation is the same.

it's the same show.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:31 am

Literally the exact same animation but Kai has those god awful redrawn scenes that looked like a third graders fanart got randomly slipped into the show. So Z wins.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 pm

I still can't figure out how they chose what they were going to reanimate. It all seemed kinda random. And the reanimation was exactly the same. I understand if they fixed something that was off-model or fixed a face or something, but they didn't. They legit just redrew the exact same thing. The only thing they really changed was Vegeta's coloring and I feel that could've been done with the original footage anyway.

Just seemed like a whole lot of wasted potential.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:27 pm

I prefer Kai's look for the superior colors (until the Buu arc) and much better dark details. It makes everything have a lot more depth, and even the green tinted Buu remaster at least has more defined edges (not talking about the edge enhancement riddled Japanese version) and better darks than the Dragon Boxes, but in that case the colors as a whole are pretty messed up, but even then the Dragon Boxes have some insanely cyan tinted, season 2 Orange Brick bright episodes towards the end of the arc.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Nosferatu93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nosferatu93 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Kai til cell looks best as dragonball z can. Boo saga i use dragon box. 16:9 my ass.

Also animation is literally the same.
Hellsing

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 3:10 am

coola wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am Z for me, hands down. Kai had:
- Clumsy edits (Mostly in Saiyan Saga)
- Horrible green tint in Boo Saga
- Terrible redrawn in Flash style random scenes
Ugh those redrawn scenes are awful. Poor Toriyama must be getting sick of the treatment his creation gets.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 17, 2021 6:01 pm

As others have said, the animation is the same save a few re-drawings that were slipped in (which didn't look particularly looked). That said, Kai had one great thing going for it in the visuals department: purely in terms of colors, I think Kai is the best that show has ever looked. They did a great job with the colors. They're lively yet natural, and don't suffer the slight pinkish-red tint that some of the Dragon Box video masters had as a result of the film aging.

If I was forced to pick, I'd pick DBZ, but in an ideal world I would prefer DBZ with Kai's color treatment.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."