Did parts 1-4 on dvd and blu ray got reprints with the replacement score?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Did parts 1-4 on dvd and blu ray got reprints with the replacement score?

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Or those are all Yamamoto?

Arian
Banned

Re: Did parts 1-4 on dvd and blu ray got reprints with the replacement score?

Post by Arian » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Yes, they did receive reprints with the new score briefly before the season sets came out.

In fact, I made a video about it. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzs1BB89jiU
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Arian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm Yes, they did receive reprints with the new score briefly before the season sets came out.

That's part 4. What about parts 1-3?

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 pm
Arian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm Yes, they did receive reprints with the new score briefly before the season sets came out.

That's part 4. What about parts 1-3?
Sorry, I didn't buy extra copies of those just to confirm it for you, but they did receive reprints which may or may not have received music replacements. In fact, at times the opposite would happen where the back of the box would credit Kikuchi while the discs have Yamamoto, where as with my copy of Part 4, it was vice-versa.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:53 am

Are you sure they got reprinted? Because I can't find anything on parts 1-3 indicating they got Kikuchi scores in them. Only part 4.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am

As far as I'm aware all Madman's parts were reprinted with Kikuchi, but in Funimation's case it was only Part 4 as the Season sets started to come out by that point and no more copies of Parts 1-3 were being made. Copies of Season 1 with Yamamoto exist (from Funimation, Manga UK always had Yamamoto from episodes 1-39) but they are very rare.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:01 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am As far as I'm aware all Madman's parts were reprinted with Kikuchi, but in Funimation's case it was only Part 4 as the Season sets started to come out by that point and no more copies of Parts 1-3 were being made. Copies of Season 1 with Yamamoto exist (from Funimation, Manga UK always had Yamamoto from episodes 1-39) but they are very rare.
Yeah seems that way.

I can't find anything on parts 1-3 so most likely it's because they never got reprinted.

Season sets it is then, thanks!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:15 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:01 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:45 am As far as I'm aware all Madman's parts were reprinted with Kikuchi, but in Funimation's case it was only Part 4 as the Season sets started to come out by that point and no more copies of Parts 1-3 were being made. Copies of Season 1 with Yamamoto exist (from Funimation, Manga UK always had Yamamoto from episodes 1-39) but they are very rare.
Yeah seems that way.

I can't find anything on parts 1-3 so most likely it's because they never got reprinted.

Season sets it is then, thanks!
I think after a point Parts 1-3 went out of print around the time the Seasons started coming out, first in the initial version of S1 in late 2011 that kept the Yamamoto score before the later reissue came along in May 2012 with the Kikuchi replacement and the following three.

Parts 5-8 always had Kikuchi, though as i mentioned before Part 5 did actually have Yamamoto up to the point just a couple months or so prior to release when the music scandal hit and Toei mandated the score change.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 pm

Were the Kai Blurays ever reprinted in Japan with the replacement score? I'm curious if anybody ever tried to paste the original Japanese score on to the English Kai Cell Saga.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:03 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 pm Were the Kai Blurays ever reprinted in Japan with the replacement score? I'm curious if anybody ever tried to paste the original Japanese score on to the English Kai Cell Saga.
Yes, the Japanese Kai Blu-Rays were reprinted with Kikuchi's score.

For Episodes 53-95, which never had a home release in the West with the score, and most episodes never aired with Yamamoto in the dub (Nicktoons stopped at episode 63) there is the Yamamoto revival project, which may be of interest. It also has a custom placement for Episodes 96-98, which was quite neat.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Masquerade
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Masquerade » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:40 am

Adult Swim aired the entirety of Kai with the Kikuchi score, so there's your answer.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:34 am

The first episode aired with Yamamoto on Adult Swim.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:04 pm

So is there any way to tell if the part 1-4 Bluray sets available on Amazon are Kikuchi or Yamamoto? I have the original 1-4 on DVD but I was thinking of upgrading to Bluray, but I don't want the music to change. I guess I'll just stick with the DVD sets I have if getting the blurays is a huge hassle.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Muffin Man wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:04 pm So is there any way to tell if the part 1-4 Bluray sets available on Amazon are Kikuchi or Yamamoto? I have the original 1-4 on DVD but I was thinking of upgrading to Bluray, but I don't want the music to change. I guess I'll just stick with the DVD sets I have if getting the blurays is a huge hassle.
Parts 1-3, you're fine. Basically all of them have Yamamoto. It wasn't until they released the "Season" sets of Kai in which there started being a discrepancy.

As for Part 4 though, since the order from Toei had already been made when Part 4 was fresh, some copies have Kikuchi even though all of the boxes credit Yamamoto in print.