Which one is Superior? Dragon Ball Z JP version or Dragon Ball Kai JP version?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Champion Vic

Which one is Superior? Dragon Ball Z JP version or Dragon Ball Kai JP version?

Post by Champion Vic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Which do you think is superior when it comes to voice acting as well as script and even the voices they changed?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Which one is Superior? Dragonball Z Jap version or Dragonball Z Kai Jap version?

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 pm

The script is essentially the same between the two, though in Kai they did correct Gohan's Masenko when he accidentally called out Kamehameha. Steve Simmons' subtitle translations on the home releases read a bit more naturally in Kai, but the translations both perfectly good for both Z and Kai. Some of the acting in Japanese Kai is a drop from Japanese Z, but not by enough to say that Kai is bad. In fact, I personally find Ishizuka's Mr. Satan to be every bit as good as Gouri's, adding his own spin to make a distinct but equally good performance. The only clear advantage Z has over Kai is better music. Yamamoto is simply not as good as Kikuchi (and that's leaving the plagiarism aside), and while Kikuchi Kai is a lot better than people give it credit for and is a huge improvement on Yamamoto IMO (I particularly like the moment when Trunks kills Freeza in Kikuchi Kai), Z still has better variety and placement. Then there's the Sumitomo score in TFC, which even on its best days can't touch Kikuchi. Overall I like Kai better for its pacing, but if watching subbed Z is great as well. It really comes down to if you'd prefer better pacing or better music placement and slightly better performances from the main cast.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which one is Superior? Dragonball Z Jap version or Dragonball Z Kai Jap version?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 am

It’s universally agreed that the Japanese cast gave a better performance in Z, I don’t think you’ll find a single fan who will challenge that notion. In Kai many of them sound bored (“we said this shit 20 years ago” type thing) and some of them just sound older and tired. They’re not bad performances but definitely weaker.

The script is like 99 percent the same.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:31 am

I prefer the colouring and shading of DBZ. Kai reminds me of fanwork in that regard. Not because it's amateur or anything, but I just don't like it.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am

I would say dragon ball Z because even though it has fillers it is the original and was made during the hype. DBZ Kai is like a reboot.

I know that the english version is much much better and the voice actors themselves suggest watching it but since you asked for japanese versions, well... :P

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Which one is Superior? Dragon Ball Z JP version or Dragon Ball Kai JP version?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am

The Japanese cast's performances in Z were definitely superior to Kai, although Z can be a slog to get through at times. I'm rewatching Japanese Z on the Manga UK Blu-Rays, and was hoping to be done by now, but currently just starting the Freeza arc. Kai flows far better by comparison, as by the time I'd have watched a similar number of episodes I'd be well into the Cell arc. Kai isn't perfect though, as it can be too fast in parts as well, like the Saiyan arc. For future rewatches I may switch between Z and Kai as there are parts the former works better than the latter and vice versa.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Re: Which one is Superior? Dragon Ball Z JP version or Dragon Ball Kai JP version?

Post by coola » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 am

I also think, that save for Aya Hirano as Dende, almost every voice replacement was bad, especially Ginyu Force, Nappa and Old Kaioshin. From old VA, Cell and Vegeta were worse (especially Vegeta, he kept sounding like he had pack of Marlboro)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:27 pm

Definitely prefer the original version, the re-animated scenes in Kai look quite bad and are distracting and the censored violence is a bit of a turn-off. The voice-acting is fine but not as good as in the original.