Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am

B wrote:
Eclipse wrote:I can't believe people are complaining about the damn fillers. The show's nowhere near Naruto-levels when it comes to filler. (*Reaction when reading the first few pages*)
Naruto's filler is actually entertaining and funny. DBZ takes its worst qualities, and slams it into a story arc.

Also, to completely tear apart your argument, Toei Animation =/= StudioPierrot. Different companies. Maybe do some research outside of "OH HEY FIGHTING ANIMU IN JUMP WITH ORANGE CLOTHES AND BLONDE HAIR."
Hi. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have.
I made the Naruto reference for a reason. No, their filler is all right, but I'm sure you do know there is a lot of it, no? I don't think you can enjoy it when there's about 100+ episodes of it.

And yes, Toei and Studio Pierrot are two different companies.
Your point?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:05 am

I made the Naruto reference for a reason. No, their filler is all right, but I'm sure you do know there is a lot of it, no? I don't think you can enjoy it when there's about 100+ episodes of it.

Your point?
Well I'd say Dragon Ball Z easily has over 100 episodes of filler aswell.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:21 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Your point?
If it does, they're not in a row. Naruto literally had nearly 100 episodes of filler in a row rather than taking a hiatus when the writer was sick or something.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:29 am

If it does, they're not in a row. Naruto literally had nearly 100 episodes of filler in a row rather than taking a hiatus when the writer was sick or something.
Oh, I didn't know about that. I'm not very far into it yet, and I've decided to read the manga before going any further in the anime, and I'm only up to around episode 68 anyway.

But 100 episodes in a row? How long was he sick for???
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:36 am

Bussani wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Your point?
Just to clarify something the fillers in Naruto went on for so long because they wanted a large enough gap between the manga chapters of Part 2 and when they began Shippuden so they would not step on the “canon” story toes and create plot holes with the filler as we saw in Z.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:16 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Just to clarify something the fillers in Naruto went on for so long because they wanted a large enough gap between the manga chapters of Part 2 and when they began Shippuden so they would not step on the “canon” story toes and create plot holes with the filler as we saw in Z.
Which didn't work because there are filler arcs in Shippuden too.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:24 am

Raki wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Which didn't work because there are filler arcs in Shippuden too.
The longer you stretch out the anime the more money you can make; in the world of business, this makes sense.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:48 am

Holy crap guys. This is gonna be awesome.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:07 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Oh, I didn't know about that. I'm not very far into it yet, and I've decided to read the manga before going any further in the anime, and I'm only up to around episode 68 anyway.

Off topic... But, aren't you mixing with the HXH mangaka? I know he was sick, but haven't ever heard about the Naruto mangaka having been sick...
B wrote: Naruto's filler is actually entertaining and funny. DBZ takes its worst qualities, and slams it into a story arc."
I beg to differ... Naruto fillers made me quit watching Naruto, while on the other hand, I loved the "heaven tournament" that I see a lot of people complain about. I really hope they don't take away that in the condensed version of DBZ :(

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:13 am

I haven't had time to sit and read through this thread, but this is so fucking awesome.

And I won't deny it, I'll be downloading like a fiend once this starts airing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:13 am

sangofe wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Off topic... But, aren't you mixing with the HXH mangaka? I know he was sick, but haven't ever heard about the Naruto mangaka having been sick...
B wrote: Naruto's filler is actually entertaining and funny. DBZ takes its worst qualities, and slams it into a story arc."
I beg to differ... Naruto fillers made me quit watching Naruto, while on the other hand, I loved the "heaven tournament" that I see a lot of people complain about. I really hope they don't take away that in the condensed version of DBZ :(

Have to agree with sangofe. The 100 episodes of filler were one of the things that made me stop watching.

I can't help but wonder if anyone at Pierrot got fired over that once they finally switched over to Shippuuden. Because honestly, I don't see that show much at ANN's weekly ratings articles; and I think it was the filler that semi-killed it.

That along with Pierrot's job with Blue Dragon has made me hesitant to watch anything made by them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I haven't had time to sit and read through this thread, but this is so fucking awesome.

It's kinda strange for me too. I'm totally anti-fansub..but I will have a hard time staying away from them once they pop up online. I am concerned about the fansub people who will do the show. They will be no way as good as Daimao.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 am

Raki wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I haven't had time to sit and read through this thread, but this is so fucking awesome.

It's kinda strange for me too. I'm totally anti-fansub..but I will have a hard time staying away from them once they pop up online. I am concerned about the fansub people who will do the show. They will be no way as good as Daimao.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of these fansub groups would just rip Daimao's subtitles and just re timed them to match the video. It would sure make things a lot easier for the fansubbers.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am

Raki wrote:

It's not exactly hard to translate Dragon Ball.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm

I can't believe this is happening. This is AWESOME! I'm literally bouncing off the walls with excitement. This is a great way to celebrate my 10th anniversary of being a DBZ fan! :D
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:04 pm

snaku wrote:Wrong, this will lead to a completely awesome Blu-ray release which I will happily import and play on my PS3 since America and Japan are in the same BD region. :D
They are? I thought Europe and Japan were in the same BD region. I mean I know they were with DVD, is it different with BD? That sucks >.>

EDIT: You were right. Also if anyone wants to know the regions then here is a picture.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:55 pm

VeggieXD wrote:
snaku wrote:Wrong, this will lead to a completely awesome Blu-ray release which I will happily import and play on my PS3 since America and Japan are in the same BD region. :D
They are? I thought Europe and Japan were in the same BD region. I mean I know they were with DVD, is it different with BD? That sucks >.>

EDIT: You were right. Also if anyone wants to know the regions then here is a picture.
Well, Japan and Europe did share Region 2 for DVD's... So I understand the confusion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Wait, this means European PS3 wont be able to playback these probable future Blu Ray releases?

RyujiOtogi

Post by RyujiOtogi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:13 pm

VeggieXD wrote:

So North and South America share the same Blu-Ray Region as Japan? That's awesome, I didn't know. Though it sucks for those living in Europe, and I really don't know why they didn't just leave it the same as the DVD Regions...

Well if this version of the show is released on Japan Blu-Ray, I'll totally get a couple. I'll put off from buying too much though for hope that FUNi brings it over here.
NWO Truth: Educate Yourself
[url=http://www.nfowars.net:443/stream1.pls]Alex Jones Radio Show[/url]
[url=http://www.infowars.com/]Infowars[/url]

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 pm

So, okay, if this remake is cut down to only include every scene from the manga and nothing else... and then FUNi licenses it... and then Daimao translates it...

We may finally get that Steve Simmons manga translation we've all been wanting!

And yes, if this is released on Blu-Ray in Japan and FUNi decides to not license it, I'm importing the whole thing, no question. God bless Blu-Ray regions.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs