Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 pm

bkev wrote:I think SJ was being lazy and that TOEi will actually stretch the picture.
To be honest, that'd be ten times worse than cropping it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
bkev wrote:I think SJ was being lazy and that TOEi will actually stretch the picture.
To be honest, that'd be ten times worse than cropping it.
I'd say it isn't as bad as cropping, but still bad. With most HDTVs you could probably find a way to squash the picture back into 4:3 if that were the case.
­

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Looks like the screenshots in the scan are cropped like the Season Sets are... god damn it Toei.
It's all good though. TOEI did it so its totally "A" OK. :D
Betting on this being 90% of the forum's reaction.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:09 pm

bkev wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Looks like the screenshots in the scan are cropped like the Season Sets are... god damn it Toei.
Seconded.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

bkev wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:
If Toei did a cheap crop job like FUNi, they'll get none of my business personally. It was dumb when FUNimation did it, and it'd be absolutely idiotic and unforgivable if Toei does it.

-Corey

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Let's not form our opinions off a crappy picture of a magazine page.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Can we get some screen shots of those episodes to compare what kind of cropping/extending we're getting?
Here's those two same shots from Season One:
Those look exactly the same as the screenshots in the advertisement. Wow. So what if this really just turns out to be cropped? I would laugh my ass off.

Edit: here is a screenshot comparison with Funi's remastered shot underneath and the shot from the ad on top:

Notice that the shot from the ad is not full 16:9, but it looks like it will be pretty much the same thing as Funi's sets.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm

So... they're just cropping their 4:3 masters and not even doing a new transfer? Hope this is "selective" cropping, where they get the important stuff if they are just cropping it. Maybe they'll know how to cut a Kiwi :lol:
Last edited by bkev on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Post by Khalid Shahin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I'm guessing that they can cut out a lot of the filler and standing around and probably get somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 episodes without losing anything that was in the manga.

Of course, as stated in previous posts, that's just a rumor from 2ch or something.
I highly doubt they would be able to get anywhere near 100 episodes just by cutting out filler episodes and scenes with nothing but standing around. If that's all they did then I would expect somewhere in the range of 200 episodes. But really, they may not be cutting anything at all. I would rather have them not cut anything actually. If they want to do an abridged series with completely re-done animation and art direction, that's fine, but there is no need to bastardize the original TV series.
Are you really that delusional? DBZ can easily shortened to 100 episodes. Hell, it can be shortened to 35 episodes with a somewhat screwedup fast pacing.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:Notice that the shot from the ad is not full 16:9, but it looks like it will be pretty much the same thing as Funi's sets.
FUNi's advertisements weren't proper representations of their box sets, so I'm going to give Toei the benefit of the doubt for now. If they do a fucked up job though, they'll be on my shitlist just as much as FUNi.

-Corey

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:As for the anime being a bastardization of the manga, that is ridiculous. It is an adaption of the manga.
Unenjoyable filler, ridiculously stretched out fight scenes, and various badly drawn episodes.

It's a bastardization. It's okay if you enjoyed the anime. I enjoyed it. But you can't deny when in comparison to its source material, it's a pile of shit.

Also, what are we comparing these shots for? None of them are the refreshed scenes, because it's not out yet, or I'm missing something.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Ha Ha this was completely unexpected. I guess that really is "DRAGONBALL THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN!" I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to see the very top and bottom of the picture. :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Maybe Toei bought Funi's masters... ever think of that!? :shock:

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 pm

B wrote:
Yi Xing Long wrote:As for the anime being a bastardization of the manga, that is ridiculous. It is an adaption of the manga.
Unenjoyable filler, ridiculously stretched out fight scenes, and various badly drawn episodes.

It's a bastardization. It's okay if you enjoyed the anime. I enjoyed it. But you can't deny when in comparison to its source material, it's a pile of shit.

Also, what are we comparing these shots for? None of them are the refreshed scenes, because it's not out yet, or I'm missing something.
They obviously show more on either side than the Dragon Box sets do. So yes, they are more than likely real shots of the new series, though not the whole 16:9 frame (mostly the sides seems to be missing).

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:25 pm

SatoSky wrote:Maybe Toei bought Funi's masters... ever think of that!? :shock:
godofchaos mentioned Toei asking FUNi for their masters in the chat once, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I didn't think Toei would actually crop the series like FUNi did, or just use FUNi's masters.
Last edited by Taku128 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
­

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:They obviously show more on either side than the Dragon Box sets do.
They do? O_o;

-Corey

DBZOceanHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZOceanHD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
bkev wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote: It's all good though. TOEI did it so its totally "A" OK. :D
Seconded.
Thirded.

But seriously, I think if Toei does this it will be even worse then FUNi. It would be stupid of them to crop it instead of just expand it.

If they do cut out all the filler, I will watch it religiously. If they don't, I would still watch it, although I hope they use this chance to fix it up.

... also, Kai? Am I missing how this could tie into Dragonball (apart from Kaio-sama, but that's a pretty odd way to reference him).

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Taku128 wrote:
SatoSky wrote:Maybe Toei bought Funi's masters... ever think of that!? :shock:
godofchaos mentioned Toei asking FUNi for their masters in the chat once, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I didn't think Toei would actually crop the series like FUNi did, or just use FUNi's masters.
Oh WOW, if they bought FUNi's masters I think I will shit bricks. What a cop-out! Jesus, this is just like being a star wars fan - nothing ever stays the same >_>

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

What does the scan say? So those images are cropped. To me, it just seems like thy slapped some more screens from the first 2 or 3 episodes like they did with the first scan.
DBZOceanHD wrote:... also, Kai? Am I missing how this could tie into Dragonball (apart from Kaio-sama, but that's a pretty odd way to reference him).
"Kai" can be read as "modified."
I learned that from the TZ link and watching Bleach. :P
Last edited by B on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Speaking of which... has anyone compared those shots to the remastered set yet?