Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:07 am

Finally, we got the BIGGEST news ever. The totally renewed DBZ will start in April 5th.

(Replaced with my better scan)

Translation:

20th anniversary of Dragon Ball Z!
The legend of Z will be back with the newest digital technology!!
Starts at 9:00AM in April 5th 2009, on Fuji TV!!

1. More exciting by re-editing!!: The footage will be totally re-edited and HD-remastered!!
2. New opening and ending!!: Both footage and songs will be renewed! The sound effects in the show will also be renewed!!
2. Superb seiyus will gather for the show!!: The show will be re-dubbed by the original casts!!

Edit:

More information from V Jump

(click to see in high-def)

This says that they will cut most of the fillers and BGM will totally be re-recorded.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am

Well it just goes to show that people should trust Wasted Wisher more. :wink:

Anyway....

THIS IS HUUUUUUGE!!!!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:38 am

Wait, I didn't even see that it was being redubbed...

What does this mean.... that they are basically pulling an Evangelion on the series?

And the other question on my mind.... have the Funi Season Sets sold enough to justify releasing DVDs of these redone episodes?
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:53 am

JUBBUDA
IDUBWHUBBIDA
I DON'T EVEN.....
THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!
(Let's hope for a redub of the entire series when Funimation undoubtedly picks this up.)
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 am

The whole series? Awesome, hopefully there will be an English version too.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:As much as I would like to, I'm against a remake of the whole series.

Sure Dr. Slump got a remake with GT redesigns, but that doesn't mean that Dragon Ball will be the same.

And sure that the series is 4:3 and with grains, but it's an over 20 years show for crying out loud!!

If they wanted to make the show wide-screen for the sake of new HD TVs, then why don't they stretch the images to view it wide-screen?

There are dead voice actors. Are they gonna replace them?

And what's the point of the remake if it will keep the fillers? The manga ended for a long time and they should not use any filler that brings up plotholes!!

And what will happen to the old series format if they did it?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:10 am

So what does "re-editing" consist of do you think? Just making everything look new and digital?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 am

NeptuneKai wrote:So what does "re-editing" consist of do you think? Just making everything look new and digital?
I guess that means they will cut the filler snenes.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:As much as I would like to, I'm against a remake of the whole series.

Sure Dr. Slump got a remake with GT redesigns, but that doesn't mean that Dragon Ball will be the same.
It's not a remake at all, it's just a HD remastering with a new dub (presumably because the original audio just isn't up to par... they did the same thing for the Gundam movies, if I remember well... and the fact they're "re-editing" is another similarity).

The article only mentions the opening and endings being actually redone, and that should tell us that the rest of the show probably won't be that altered. I'm sure there are some parts that will really need fixing, but that will probably be it.
And yeah, I would probably kiss a lot of the filler good-bye. Well, if I had any love for the filler, anyway. Which I don't.

NeptuneKai wrote:So what does "re-editing" consist of do you think?
The article says it will put more emphasis on the action. And yeah, I guess it could. Very easily.
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:16 am

...this isn't an April Fools joke right?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 am

Olivier Hague wrote:it's just a HD remastering with a new dub (presumably because the original audio just isn't up to par... they did the same thing for the Gundam movies, if I remember well...
Ah, I was just going to ask what the point of a redub with the original cast would be. Thanks for clearing that up.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:So what does "re-editing" consist of do you think?
The article says it will put more emphasis on the action. And yeah, I guess it could. Very easily.
This is starting to sound like a "no filler" Dragonball making me one happy person.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 am

Well... at least FUNimation got themselves an excuse for a Blu-ray re-re-re-release of the series *sigh* ((a video from TFS is needed to cheer me up))
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 am

This comes at a very good time. I'm very close to owning all the series on DVD, and I don't want to be out of Dragon Ball to by.

My only concern is the voices who have sadly passed away.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:My only concern is the voices who have sadly passed away.
Which includes Tenshinhan's and Muten Roshi's good voice actor. No offense to the replacements, of course.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:44 am

Casual Matt wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:My only concern is the voices who have sadly passed away.
Which includes Tenshinhan's and Muten Roshi's good voice actor. No offense to the replacements, of course.
Yep, those are the ones I was talking about.

Have there been any others?

Didn't Uranai Baba's voice actor pass away aswell?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 am

NeptuneKai wrote:This is starting to sound like a "no filler" Dragonball making me one happy person.
That's something I'd like to see. I'm just not sure they could really do that.
I mean... It's going to be aired an television, which means the episodes will probably all have the same (regular) length, and you can't just shave off, say, six minutes of filler from the original episode and then "take" six minutes of relevant material from the next one to compensate. You need to have a cliffhanger at the end of your new episode. You need at least some structure.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:This is starting to sound like a "no filler" Dragonball making me one happy person.
That's something I'd like to see. I'm just not sure they could really do that.
I mean... It's going to be aired an television, which means the episodes will probably all have the same (regular) length, and you can't just shave off, say, six minutes of filler from the original episode and then "take" six minutes of relevant material from the next one to compensate. You need to have a cliffhanger at the end of your new episode. You need at least some structure.
Well I think they could still keep that, considering how they did it fairly well with the early episodes of Z in the edited dub.

I don't think it would be that hard to do, to be honest.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I think they could still keep that, considering how they did it fairly well with the early episodes of Z in the edited dub.
Did they, really? ^^;
I've never seen that dub, but from what I've read on the net, I really can't imagine it working. I know it wouldn't work for me, anyway. ^^;
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Post by B » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 am

kei17 wrote: This post says that the number of episodes will be about 100. They will reconstruct the whole episodes.
And They won't redraw the footage in the show. Only some digital effects will be added.
Oh dear god, if thsi is true, this will be my definitive Dragon Ball anime source. With only 100 episodes, the Freeza Saga could very well not suck and actually do the manga justice! Though, I'll miss the Garlic Jr. Saga, and all the adaptation expansion of the Buu arc.

Looking forward to this, and hopefully some fansubs since I don't see FUNimation touching this for a good while, if ever.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki