Kai dub songs — info

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai dub songs — info

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 am

Hey there, awesome people of the community.

So, with the launch of Kanzenshuu, I've been working at overhauling the lyrics section of the main site. You can see some of the initial fruits of that labor now. (The rest of the songs we had up on Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai are forthcoming; they're basically ready to go, but we we've been busy with other things in preparation for the site's launch / forum integration / etc. and haven't got around to posting them.)

You'll notice, however, that I have some gaps in my knowledge of the English Kai songs, due to not being overly familiar with the FUNimation dub. (I also accidentally credited the "I'm a Mac" guy to one rendition of "Dragon Soul", rather than Justin Cook.) I am relatively certain of the singers for the insert songs and ending themes, but for the opening, I need to know who sings it for which episodes in what version. I have also heard, but have not yet confirmed, that Brina Palencia (Chiaotzu, Pu'er) penned the lyrics to all but the Ginyu Force insert (whose three words, I'm told, are entirely the work of Chris Sabat), but I would like confirmation.

Any additional details about other songs from the various English dubs are welcome as well, of course, but please be sure to provide a verifiable source for the information you give. I will, as always, be eternally grateful.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Kai dub songs — info

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:36 am

OrangeStarHighSchool on YouTube is the source of this kind of information since he actually gets the information from Brina Palencia (and other people?).

From what he put in his videos (and for the later openings, from what people on the forums found out through Facebook), this is what we know:

Dragon Soul
English Lyrics - Brina Palencia
English Singer 1 - Sean Schemmel
English Singer 2 - Justin Cook
English Singer 3 - Vic Mignogna
English Singer 4 - Greg Ayres
English Singer 5 - Sonny Strait
English Singer 6 - Brina Palencia
English Singer 7 - ?? A mix of several. I can't remember who all was in it.

Yeah! Break! Care! Break!
English Singer - Jerry Jewell

Over the Stars
English Singer - Sarah Klena

Ginyu Force Rules
English Singer - Christopher Sabat

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 am

^ That person also notes that the singer of dub GT ending 4 is Justin Houston, not Justin Cook as the site currently says.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Would it be important enough to note the change in lyrics in Schemmel's version? Unless my hearing's off, it seems to be "Mysteries abound, in this world that we will seek" instead of "Mysteries abound, made of a deep energy."

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks for the help. I'll fold those changes into what's up, and make a note to add them in when the insert songs go up as well. Any further info on the dub songs would be appreciated, though. I really don't know much more than what I've already got.

Am I correct in understanding that the singer changes for "Dragon Soul" coincide with the breaks in the eight-part Blu-Ray and DVD sets?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Yeah. So whatever episodes are in, say, part four, would have the opening theme sung by Greg Ayres.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Why did you guys decide to do the FUNimation dubbed songs, out of curiosity?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:51 pm

We would like to branch out and do international versions of the original Japanese songs. FUNimation stuff was just the easiest to do because we all speak English :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We would like to branch out and do international versions of the original Japanese songs. FUNimation stuff was just the easiest to do because we all speak English :P.
Ah, I see. Some of those are going to be a bit difficult, though. ;)