Wikipedia Nonsense - Tullece

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16303
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Wikipedia Nonsense - Tullece

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turres

For the love of all things holy, someone please proof-read all the changes I've made to this page (especially my katakana). I can't believe how grossly inaccurate it previously was. WTF is "Turres"?!? It specifically said to pronounce it "too - res." Good fucking god.

And if someone can fix it to actually have a URL of something better than "Turres" (personally, we'd prefer the actual "Tullece"...), please do so. Too tired to figure out all the re-directs.

In fact, I know there are a lot of typos... so just fix whatever you see :). Feel free to elaborate, as well... that's what Wikipedia is there for!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:06 pm
Location: UK

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 am

It seems they haven't accepted a lot of the edits.

The entire Dragon Ball section of Wikipedia is dodgy and could do with cleaning / improving.
Where's the beef?

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Wikipedia Nonsense - Tullece

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:09 am

VegettoEX wrote:(personally, we'd prefer the actual "Tullece"...),
What do you mean "actual"? Except for here where you claim it to be the official dub name, I've never seen or heard of it. Why not just use Taaresu like it's written or pronounced in the movie? I know it more closely to its pun on lettuce, but we don't go around calling Selipa "Paseli" or Toma "Tomatoo" to make other puns more obvious. :?

It's like Sasuke from Naruto. Sure it's pronounced "Sass-kay," but it's still written "Sasuke". The same should apply to Taresu. And this isn't a "Torankusu" case either, so don't get on my case about that. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Wikipedia Nonsense - Tullece

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:22 am

Dayspring wrote: I know it more closely to its pun on lettuce, but we don't go around calling Selipa "Paseli" or Toma "Tomatoo" to make other puns more obvious. :?
I thought that Seripa's name was a pun on "celery", not "parsley". :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Post by Adamant » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 am

No, it's parsley.

Parsley is spelled PASERI in katakana, while the name is SERIPA.

Ah, and I edited the romanization of Daizu's name, which was written with two i's for some reason.

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 pm

Adamant wrote:Ah, and I edited the romanization of Daizu's name, which was written with two i's for some reason.
And I changed it back, 'cause it's a pun on the word, not the word itself. :P

Also fixed it up all purty to conform to the usual Wikipedia standard. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16303
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Wikipedia Nonsense - Tullece

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:54 pm

Dayspring wrote:What do you mean "actual"? Except for here where you claim it to be the official dub name, I've never seen or heard of it. Why not just use Taaresu like it's written or pronounced in the movie? I know it more closely to its pun on lettuce, but we don't go around calling Selipa "Paseli" or Toma "Tomatoo" to make other puns more obvious. :?

It's like Sasuke from Naruto. Sure it's pronounced "Sass-kay," but it's still written "Sasuke". The same should apply to Taresu. And this isn't a "Torankusu" case either, so don't get on my case about that. :P
I can understand your position and why you may (or may not) think it comes off as slightly pretentious... but I think it's: (a) warranted, and (b) necessary.

For as long as I've been online (since 1998), there's been absolutely no consensus on how to spell the character's name, be it accurate or not. The oldest I'm familiar with is Taurus, which I think we can all agree is simply irrelevant (no vegetable, no logic). We can throw FUNimation's name out the window, if only because it's a FUNimation name-change.

That leaves us in a strange situation. We've basically got no universal fandom-deemed spelling for the main villain of a movie! There needs to be one. I think we (with "we" meaning us at Daizenshuu EX both as a site and a forum community) are in a decent enough position to actually push for a standard... not only that, but with some logic behind it, too.

I think "Taares" or "Tares" or "Taaresu" are simply... well... too literal of a romanization. Personally, I think that would be up there along with "Torankusu" or "Seru"; it's simply ignoring the pun. And with the pun being based on an English word to begin with, it makes sense to incorporate some of that English word into the accepted spelling.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:25 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Personally I feel that since we have no universally accepted name that we must resort to being litteral. In the case of "Seru" we know they're only pronouncing it that way because they can't perfectly pronounce "Cell", which is the English word being punned. The same applies with Trunks. We don't chance Kakarotto to Cacarrott (I'm going to get FUNi shit flung at me for this example, aren't I?), so we shouldn't screw with Taresu's spelling. That's my reasoning. Please don't word-filter everything to Tullece since it's not a universal (or at the very least, not Taresu :P ).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:30 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Adamant wrote:Ah, and I edited the romanization of Daizu's name, which was written with two i's for some reason.
And I changed it back, 'cause it's a pun on the word, not the word itself. :P
Really? Eh, I don't know what the character's name is, but the katakana did say "Daizu" when I changed the romanization (Now it says "Dâizu" while being romanized as "Daîzu", but I still don't know what's correct).

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:01 pm

Adamant wrote:Really? Eh, I don't know what the character's name is, but the katakana did say "Daizu" when I changed the romanization (Now it says "Dâizu" while being romanized as "Daîzu", but I still don't know what's correct).
Hmm... *checks daizenshuu, then page* Looks like somebody put the bar in the wrong place.

*fixes*
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:10 pm

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but aside from those twins and the big Native American-looking guy in the TV version of Tree of Might, Turles' henchmen were only named in the movie's credits and not in the movie itself.

User avatar
lost in thought
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:01 pm
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by lost in thought » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:53 pm

For what it's worth, I think for consistentcy we need to enforce a standard, and furthermore I believe "Tullece" should be that standard.

Oh, and also, I am not sure if anyone noticed, but "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullece" now brings you to the page you guys worked quite hard on.
Sorry I can be of more help, as I really don't know a lot about the character. :cry:

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:04 am

lost in thought wrote:For what it's worth, I think for consistentcy we need to enforce a standard, and furthermore I believe "Tullece" should be that standard.
We're an exceptionally small amount of non-officials. Who the hell are we o enforce something like that? :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Dayspring wrote:
lost in thought wrote:For what it's worth, I think for consistentcy we need to enforce a standard, and furthermore I believe "Tullece" should be that standard.
We're an exceptionally small amount of non-officials. Who the hell are we o enforce something like that? :?
Through sheer force of intelligence and will.

Kaoru_Nagisa
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:30 am
Location: Vista, CA
Contact:

...wait, what?

Post by Kaoru_Nagisa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
lost in thought wrote:For what it's worth, I think for consistentcy we need to enforce a standard, and furthermore I believe "Tullece" should be that standard.
We're an exceptionally small amount of non-officials. Who the hell are we o enforce something like that? :?
Through sheer force of intelligence and will.
I'm new here, but it seems that the response given to what I shall refer to as "Quote 2" was, while very logical, a bit off the question. The question was "WHO" are we, now "HOW" are we. Damn you, English, for having these two words so close to each other in spelling and yet so wildly different!

...anyhow. Excluding myself from "we", I believe Daizenshuu EX's forumites, as well as web-lords, have as much right as any other established community to push their view of things on others. To put it bluntly, that is no right, by the way. Yes, uniformity would be nice, but uniformity is exceedingly boring. Differences as well as minor disagreements create discussion, conversation, and sometimes lead to much more important things.

So here's my compromise which will likely be completely ignored, but which I think I should post anyhow. For sake of peace, leave the page titled "Tullece", BUT! Include all alternative spellings in either A. The introductory paragraphs of the Wikipedia Tullece article, or a sub-section within the article itself.

...yes, I'm out on a limb, posting in a controversial issue without any former experience here, but eh...at least I'm trying.
At first, he's complaining for Gohan to stop the awful racket because it really hurts, getting more and more pained and insistent as the song goes on... then it changes, and he starts laughing and talking about the little baby chickens, and how they go "peep-peep," etc. Yep, he goes crazy... - Julian

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16303
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 pm

So long as the page isn't titled "Turles", I really don't give a rat's-ass what it says.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaoru_Nagisa
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:30 am
Location: Vista, CA
Contact:

Amazing!

Post by Kaoru_Nagisa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:So long as the page isn't titled "Turles", I really don't give a rat's-ass what it says.
Well, at least I've got the agreement of one person. Though, since I'm a bit touchy about editing Wikipedia myself (I do it very infrequently, you're unlikely to find a lot of my edits around ^_^; ) I ask that, first, a few more people consent to this, so the Daizenshuu Forum-goers don't end up undoing one another's work. Second, I ask that someone else do it, because I'm not the most qualified person to write a Dragon Ball Z information page. I probably rank slightly above a FUNimation employee in that respect.

EDIT: Fixed the evil winking smiley-face of doom.
Oh, also...yes, I meant that last sentence, but I do love Dragon Ball, and all that has come from it. I just haven't really obsessed over it enough in recent years to know anything useful beyond a few trivial facts.
At first, he's complaining for Gohan to stop the awful racket because it really hurts, getting more and more pained and insistent as the song goes on... then it changes, and he starts laughing and talking about the little baby chickens, and how they go "peep-peep," etc. Yep, he goes crazy... - Julian

Post Reply