Mystic Gohan (Possible Rumor Guide Update)

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Mystic Gohan (Possible Rumor Guide Update)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Hey, all:

I see it popping up a lot due to "Battle of Gods" promotional material: the phrase "Mystic Gohan". I'm pretty well-versed in its general history and have been thinking of adding it to the "Rumor Guide" on the site (mostly just confirming that it's never used in Japanese merchandise and such).

One place where it WAS "officially" used was an American figure line:

Does anyone actually own that figure? I'd like a nicer picture of it, and perhaps information about the series/line and its release timeframe. That stuff I'm pretty in the dark about. The page I pulled that image from (combined with a little digging through archives on dragonballtoys.com) puts it at around a January 2003 release, it seems.

Was that the only one? Did "Mystic Gohan" get labeled as such on any other toys? I see references on DBT to "Mystic Gohan" figures in 2003, but it's completely unclear whether the writer is referring to a specific name of a figure, or just using the term themselves to refer to Gohan of that point in the story.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Mystic Gohan (Possible Rumor Guide Update)

Post by Puto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Don't some of the newer video games use ‘Mystic Gohan’ too?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Certainly not the Japanese ones (though I doubt that's what you're referring to). I was going to spot-check all of the American games to find out, though, yeah.

I just saw Gozar mention in response on Twitter that apparently some of the Score CCG stuff used "Mystic". Image searches give me a lot of fake cards, so I'm hesitant to rely on that. Anyone own these cards for realz that could check and take a photo/scan?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Is the figure "battle-damage" or is it just the low quality? I have one that looks similar, but I no longer have the box.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Puto wrote:Don't some of the newer video games use ‘Mystic Gohan’ too?
No, it's Ultimate Gohan in Budokai Tenkaichi/Raging Blast/Ultimate Blast series, and Elder Kai's Unlock Ability in the Budokai series.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:18 am

Okay, for starters, here is a better image of that figure from off the web, though I never kept my boxes so I couldn't personally help anyway.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/pr ... K10022.jpg (Hmm, can't post images in this section. lol)

Second, there were multiple versions of this Jakks Pacific Gohan released with the "Mystic" term, but none in 2003. When that Gohan was initially released in his dad's dogi with a new sculpt, he was misidentified as "SS Gohan". It wasn't until early 2004 when the battle damaged version came, using the Genki Dama Goku body, and was actually labeled "Mystic Gohan". Subsequent releases of both the normal and damaged version have used this label in both single releases and 2-packs. Later repacks of figures originally released in Japan first, the Ultimate Figure Series, were given a domestic release and did in fact use Ultimate on their packing though...

Um...third, here is a site that has a shitton of card scans: http://www.dbzcollection.fr/v2/cartes.php I haven't looked through the American releases, but they do have a section for the TCG if you scroll down. I imagine you'll probably find at least one or two, even if they don't have them all.

Oh, and yeah, the figure in the image is "battle damaged", though incorrectly. It uses a Goku body, one from when he was supposed to be firing his final Genki Dama against Buu, but they've always had the orange on the figure. There is an undamaged version that was released a couple series beforehand.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 am

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 am

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey, I know you're looking for merchandise that classifies Gohan as "Mystic", but while I was ripping images from the "season" set booklets last night, I came across Gohan's bio in which they do call him "Mystic".

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/t ... 4bd5a1.png