Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Characters

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Future Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Characters

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm

hleV wrote:I think VegettoEX was referring exactly to kanzenban, tankobon only for pointing out certain differences between the two.
It seemed more like "we will use the Kanzenban, but if anything is changed between it & the Tankobon, we will use the Tankobon".

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Oh, well that's weird then. The stuff in kanzenban was fixed/altered/added for a reason, wasn't it. That's like going with Vegeta's BP of 20,000 against Ginyu Special Squad.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:17 pm

hleV wrote:Oh, well that's weird then. The stuff in kanzenban was fixed/altered/added for a reason, wasn't it. That's like going with Vegeta's BP of 20,000 against Ginyu Special Squad.
That's exactly why I believe that the Kanzenban should be used instead of the Tankobon.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
hleV wrote:Oh, well that's weird then. The stuff in kanzenban was fixed/altered/added for a reason, wasn't it. That's like going with Vegeta's BP of 20,000 against Ginyu Special Squad.
That's exactly why I believe that the Kanzenban should be used instead of the Tankobon.
But, there, you can go two ways about it. You can either reference both, with a very brief note about the change and its relevancy; or reference only the original tankoubon with a note with the kanzenban change, when one exists.
From what I've seen, it's not like there are that many changes (in terms of information) for it to have to be the de facto standard.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm

To me, Kanzenshuu represents the epitome of a comprehensive, cited, trustworthy, and well-structured information source that is everything Dragon Ball. If someone comes to the future wiki and wants to know about all the different Artificial Humans, the list should cover every character in the manga, anime-only characters, movie characters, and video game characters (like the fusion between #16 and Super #17). In that order.

In terms of techniques, how are we/you planning on showcasing a character's moveset? Is there going to be a page dedicated to each technique (with pages like the Kamehameha page containing all the variants), but just put a hot-linked list under the character's profile? Pictures for each and every technique and its variants are absolutely needed. I'd also like to see some sort of guide/image database at the bottom of select pages showing how techniques and characters are presented in different mediums. Going back to the Kamehameha for a good example, I'd like to see not only images of the Kamehameha from the manga (if it's an attack used in the series), but also from the anime and full color comics. That way you could differentiate how they're presented, or at least let the fans see.
Last edited by Tyro on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Tyro wrote:To me, Kanzenshuu represents the epitome of a comprehensive, cited, trustworthy, and well-structured information source that is everything Dragon Ball. If someone comes to the future wiki and wants to know about all the different Artificial Humans, the list should cover every character in the manga, anime-only characters, movie characters, and video game characters (like the fusion between #16 and Hell Fighter #17). In that order.
That's... one heck of a fusion. What would we call a new individual? Super #16.5? :P

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:03 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:That's... one heck of a fusion. What would we call a new individual? Super #16.5? :P
Here's the article if you haven't already seen it (and the link to Janemba Baby in the first link). Unless he was given a name in the video game (or a card/something official-ish), it would be best to reference him as-is. Lest we run the risk of promoting erroneous fan names like "Ultra Super Saiyan Trunks" or "Mystic Gohan."

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Sorry for double posting but my mind is spilling over with questions about how the future wiki is going to be built:

Does Kanzenshuu intend to cite multiple sources for the same information? For example, something like the Oozaru 10x multiplier is stated in the series itself and in one or more guidebooks. Would all sources for any information available be cited?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Characters

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 am

I have another suggestion:

We should have a section for each character's appearance stating the differences in the various media. For example, Piccolo has 4 fingers in the manga, but 5 in the anime, Karin is blue in some colored pages of the manga & DBO, brown in other colored pages of the manga, and white in the anime & colored manga, Vegeta is colored differently in DBZ & DBKai debuts, and his hair are brown in some video-game openings, the Kame dogi is red & black in DB, blue & red/orange in DBZ, and blue & yellow/orange in the manga, etc.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
There are other odd changes, though, such as redrawn title pages for chapters 6 and 86, as well as a complete and utter fabrication for the title page of chapter 44. Plus a couple of things like Shuu's name being unified as "Soba" throughout (instead of the obvious choice) and changing Goku's choice of personal-pronoun back to his usual "ora" when he first transforms into a Super Saiyan.

Meaningless (and sometimes downright bizarre) changes like that should always be noted against the tankōbon (and in the case of the anomalous title pages, against the original Weekly Jump serialization, as well).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 am

What's so bizarre about the name "Soba" being used in the Kanzenban? Soba was the first name he was given, so that would mean that the Kanzenban is going with his original name and not the one he only got due to a mistake.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Saiga wrote:What's so bizarre about the name "Soba" being used in the Kanzenban? Soba was the first name he was given, so that would mean that the Kanzenban is going with his original name and not the one he only got due to a mistake.
It means the Kanzenban is editing the work. It's nice and dandy that the first name he was referred to by was Soba but that occurs only where it occurred. Future chapters were edited and that is a problem.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Saiga wrote:What's so bizarre about the name "Soba" being used in the Kanzenban? Soba was the first name he was given, so that would mean that the Kanzenban is going with his original name and not the one he only got due to a mistake.
It means the Kanzenban is editing the work. It's nice and dandy that the first name he was referred to by was Soba but that occurs only where it occurred. Future chapters were edited and that is a problem.
I don't think that's what SaiyaJedi means. hleV and DBZGTKOSDH already pointed out why the edited version was mainly about fixing things, and SaiyaJedi's post made it sound like the editing itself isn't the problem, just the bizarre choices used. And I don't understand why "Soba" would be a bizarre choice if the Kanzenban wanted to fix the two-name problem.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Wait, did they use the name "Soba" for the whole Kanzenban, or they used the name "Shuu"?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Saiga wrote:I don't think that's what SaiyaJedi means. hleV and DBZGTKOSDH already pointed out why the edited version was mainly about fixing things, and SaiyaJedi's post made it sound like the editing itself isn't the problem, just the bizarre choices used. And I don't understand why "Soba" would be a bizarre choice if the Kanzenban wanted to fix the two-name problem.
Because most of the edits don't seem to just be fixing errors per say, but trying to make the manga as consistent as possible. By choosing to use Soba instead of Shu though, despite it being the name that was used first, they are separating themselves from everything else. The reasoning for the change may not be the same, but this is almost like Viz deciding to use Vegerot instead of Vegetto. The logic might be sound, but it's still not much of a reason to go against the majority and cause potential confusion within the fanbase, especially those new to it.

This makes me curious though. Do Landmark and Forever, being Kanzenban guides, call him Shu or Soba?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This makes me curious though. Do Landmark and Forever, being Kanzenban guides, call him Shu or Soba?
The character guide in Dragon Ball Forever lists him as "Shuu (Soba)".
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:42 pm

I love the fact that the name will be explained, as well as Kanzenshuu's choice for how to spell it.
I do think all existing English official versions of the name (manga and various dubs) should be indicated below that explanation, in the shape of a short list, in the same "Name" section. That way, anyone can easily connect the Kanzenshuu name to other versions of the name they might have seen or heard previously in the manga or the anime.

If the potential project of having some pages localized in French, Spanish, German and other languages comes into fruition someday, I think the section - and the whole page - should remain exactly the same, except for the list of official names : that list below the "why Kanzenshuu spells it that way" would be the one from the target language's various manga and dub translations instead of the English ones, since official English versions would be irrelevant to people checking out the page in French, Spanish, Italian or other languages. They'd naturally need to see the various official names from their own country instead.