Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Characters

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Future Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Characters

Post by Hujio » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:How about some interviews that have some exclusive information on certain characters or some interesting tidbits?
We will indeed be including exclusive information from interviews in any entry, including character profiles.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Also, a suggestion for image on characters' bio, maybe you could put the image on top of the info you are going to post eventually, instead of on the side like Wikipedia and use Dragon Box as a source?
We've already established that our priority is to use images from the manga (specifically the kanzenban), and only use screen shots from the anime when applicable. Of course, if we do use a screen shot, it will most certainly come from the Dragon Boxes. First and foremost we are striving for quality.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 am

You could create a heading for the character's personality; encompassing dreams, interests, and traits they've expressed. Their relationships with certain characters can also be built from there. It would be neat to include info from the personal pronoun guide. How the character's views may change as the story develops is another aspect that could be touched upon, in addition to differences between adaptations and the original.

For the box at the top, I think gender/sex, race and/or affiliation are of value to add. These basic facts help complement the image, giving the reader a general impression of the character before delving into further details. Especially in some cases where the character is of questionable gender, as with Puar or young Upa, it serves an enhanced purpose.

Personally, I wouldn't place the techniques portrayed in the videogames within the same list. If the emphasis of the site is towards the original content, it would be best not to mix them together. Some techniques are left unnamed in the manga, and the videogames can create the misconception that they were named in the original, when they are actually contrived by the game makers for their own motives. There is also the possibility of names clashing each other among separate games. The videogame stuff is better to be kept in its own section, in my opinion.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

It just occured to me, is it mandated to use 'manga' and 'anime'? I've taken to using 'comic' and 'cartoon' or 'animated series'/'animation'/etc. Would the variety be welcomed or will 'manga' and 'anime' be all that's allowed?
VegettoEX wrote:•What is an appropriate length (rough number of sentences/paragraphs) for any and all of the above types of information inclusions?
I don't feel length is an issue, so long as the articles are well-written and paragraphs try to tie into each other, whether within a paragraph or between multiple paragraphs. Information (well, relevant information) is good.

EDIT: The example WOULD be Apule-san. :P

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It just occured to me, is it mandated to use 'manga' and 'anime'? I've taken to using 'comic' and 'cartoon' or 'animated series'/'animation'/etc. Would the variety be welcomed or will 'manga' and 'anime' be all that's allowed?
Even though I too have dialed back the use of "manga" and "anime", this never crossed my mind and I have to say it's pretty great idea.

The wiki will be used to hopefully help stop ignorance and wrong information, correct? Sure, many Dragon Ball fans will use it, but won't casual readers also traverse through it? I think it would certainly help them and the lack of needing to learn even more terms should definitely be more appealing to them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Just had an idea for under relationships: honorifics and other general use of words. For example, how Gokuu refers to his friends, gods, or others (no honorifics, -sama, jii-chan, Blooma no tou-chan/kaa-chan, etc.)
AgitoZ wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It just occured to me, is it mandated to use 'manga' and 'anime'? I've taken to using 'comic' and 'cartoon' or 'animated series'/'animation'/etc. Would the variety be welcomed or will 'manga' and 'anime' be all that's allowed?
Even though I too have dialed back the use of "manga" and "anime", this never crossed my mind and I have to say it's pretty great idea.

The wiki will be used to hopefully help stop ignorance and wrong information, correct? Sure, many Dragon Ball fans will use it, but won't casual readers also traverse through it? I think it would certainly help them and the lack of needing to learn even more terms should definitely be more appealing to them.
Yeah, not to mention the Japanese collected volumes have 'JUMP Comics' on them.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Manga is a Japanese word for comic. Either way, it's the same thing. I only use the word manga when referring to Japanese comic.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Manga is a Japanese word for comic.
Yeah, it is. Your point? The Wiki is in English so I'd prefer to use mostly English for common things like comics.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Either way, it's the same thing.
So then why not keep it as comics?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Manga is a Japanese word for comic.
Yeah, it is. Your point? The Wiki is in English so I'd prefer to use mostly English for common things like comics.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Either way, it's the same thing.
So then why not keep it as comics?
Instead of saying Japanese comic every time, use the word manga because it saves time and most would be confused when you say comic if you are talking about manga. They would think they were talking about American comic when they see the word 'comic'.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Instead of saying Japanese comic every time, use the word manga because it saves time and most would be confused when you say comic if you are talking about manga. They would think they were talking about American comic when they see the word 'comic'.
They can adapt. How many people are going to be confused (and can use the internet) by me writing "...as opposed to in the comic, neither animated adaptions included Zarbon telling Vegeta that Freeza was capable of transforming to increase his power."s

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Instead of saying Japanese comic every time, use the word manga because it saves time and most would be confused when you say comic if you are talking about manga. They would think they were talking about American comic when they see the word 'comic'.
That's really weird if you think about it, though. We don't have a different word for French comics, do we?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Yeah, not to mention the Japanese collected volumes have 'JUMP Comics' on them.
Of course, in that case it's simply because the label name is ジャンプ・コミックス/Janpu Komikkusu rather than ジャンプ漫画/Janpu Manga.

I did say somewhere in my earlier wiki-related ramblings that ideally we should write/structure articles with the assumption that the person reading knows as little about DB as possible. I guess that could extend to not assuming the reader is familiar with terms like "manga" or "anime". Though both of those terms are pretty commonly used (book stores have "manga" subsections, same with "anime" in some stores), so they're not just part of DB.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Instead of saying Japanese comic every time, use the word manga because it saves time and most would be confused when you say comic if you are talking about manga. They would think they were talking about American comic when they see the word 'comic'.
Well...they shouldn't. And besides, the Japanese word for comic is コミック (comic). 漫画 (manga) is the Japanese word for cartoon; as in a comic or an animated show. It's more universal and not specific to comics. And tho it's not used this way very often, cartoon can be used to refer to comics.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 am

I know the basic character page template is intended to be rather concise and the basic info is meant to feature minimal text and simply the facts, but what are the thoughts of expandable/collapsible fragments/side bars of info? I know Mike's proposed structure is pretty simple, but I can see it getting pretty lengthy for some character's respective pages (Notable Appearances, Abilities, etc.). What I'm talking about is something similar to the way the lengthy listing of Dragon Box discs is handled in each Dragon Box page. Can't say I have a fixed opinion of this formatting matter, but something to discuss. Or perhaps this is a given and I'm bringing it up for no reason, but either way I am curious one how a lot of these formatting options are going to turn out!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember one of the Kanzenshuu heads saying that we will use manga images for the wiki (except if the character or situation is anime-only). But now with the new Full Color volumes, are we going to use the Kanzenban or the Full Color for images?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 pm

I would think we should default to the "original original original most original that original can be" version, which would be from the kanzenban (or the tankoubon if it was edited in the kanzenban). The "Full Color Comics" are adapted from Toriyama's drawings, but they ARE adaptations and not quite "original".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 pm

I think, a image from the manga and another from the anime as presentation for every character would be nice

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm

And then to round it out, a TV Animation animanga scan. Redundancy!

But really, since the source of images isn't in question, how are these images going to be hosted? Will the entirety of the wiki be hosted on the same Kanzenshuu servers with open access for page creators to upload images? Or will this be hosted by a wikia type host?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Everything will be hosted in-house, so to speak. This will allow us to have complete control, as it will be our own installation, and we can govern our own set of rules. Because that's how we roll! :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I would think we should default to the "original original original most original that original can be" version, which would be from the kanzenban (or the tankoubon if it was edited in the kanzenban). The "Full Color Comics" are adapted from Toriyama's drawings, but they ARE adaptations and not quite "original".
Why the most original and not the most recent? I understand not using the Full Color version (since the manga is colored by Shueisha and not Toriyama), but why not use the Kanzenban? All the changes on it were made by Toriyama, so it's something like the revised version of the manga by Toriyama.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:34 pm

I think VegettoEX was referring exactly to kanzenban, tankobon only for pointing out certain differences between the two.