First printings of tankōbon 6

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

First printings of tankōbon 6

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:19 am

So, as part of a revamp of the manga guide (particularly with regards to the tankōbon section), I've discovered a textual difference that crops up in Akira Toriyama's "Ask-Me-Anything Corner". Sometime between January and May of 1987 (or between the first-printings of volumes 5 and 7), the text about joining Toriyama's fan club, the "Akira Toriyama Preservation Society", becomes a notice that the fan club has reached its predetermined membership limit and an apology to those who wanted to join.

Thanks to a fortuitous visit to Book Off, I have first-editions of volumes 5 and 7 (published in January and May 1987, respectively), which differ textually, but I don't have a first-printing of volume 6 to check against to see whether this change occurred before or with volume 7. If someone has a first-edition copy of it, I would be very interested in seeing both the copyright page (as verification) and box in the lower-right corner of the Q&A column to see what the text looks like.

If you're not sure how to tell if your copy is a first-printing, look at the copyright page (towards the back of the book, typically just inside the back cover or one or two pages in), and see what it says just beneath the title of the volume. There should be just one date, with the number 1 (surrounded by kanji) after it. For volume 6, it should look like this:

1987年3月15日 第1刷発行

If there are two dates stacked together, that means you probably have a later printing (though I would be happy to take a look and make sure).

As always, your reward will be my eternal gratitude.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SaiyaJedi

Re: First printings of tankōbon 6

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:05 am

Post updated. I've tracked down a copy of volume 7, meaning now I only need to find volume 6.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 am

I've got it, Julian.

Copyright Page
Ask-Me-Anything Corner: Gray Box

It looks like the change occurs with Volume 7, not 6.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 am

kenisu3000 wrote:I've got it, Julian.

Copyright Page
Ask-Me-Anything Corner: Gray Box

It looks like the change occurs with Volume 7, not 6.
Thanks!

And as it happens, I also managed to find a first-printing copy today, and came to the same conclusion. Synchronicity....!