Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Video Games

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Video Games

Post by Hujio » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:56 am

This discussion will be one of our on-going threads that will be created by Kanzenshuu administrators in the "Staff Help Requests" area. The first post in this thread will be regularly updated by an administrator based on the community feedback and discussion. In short, we have plans to launch a wiki for the Dragon Ball franchise that is tied to our website. We are asking for your help in developing what will be the structure -- NOT THE ACTUAL CONTENT -- of various pages throughout the wiki. If you are interested in contributing to the wiki, right now this is the best way for you to do it. Remember, we are not asking you to write articles at this point in time; rather, we are asking for your thoughts on how the eventual articles for the eventual wiki will be eventually put into place. This will help us to develop a style guide for pages on the wiki, which will in turn make it easier for you to contribute articles down the road.

Please keep your responses even more neatly-written, clear, and concise than we already expect elsewhere on the forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please answer and discuss the following questions (and/or respond with more questions we should think about) regarding pages on the future wiki for locations in the series:
  • What other information about a game should be included?
  • What essential information should be included in the information box?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Infobox
| Name: Japanese, romanization, and literal English translation (when possible).
| Developer: The game's developer.
| Publisher: The game's publisher.
| Platform: The game's available platform(s).
| Genre: The game's genre (Fighting, RPG, etc).
|--------------
| Japan Release
| Release Date: Japan release date.
| Retail: Japan retail price.
| Website: The game's official Japanese website (if available).
|--------------
| North American Release
| Title: North American title (if it differs from the Japanese title).
| Release Date: North American release date.
| Retail: North American retail price.
| Website: The game's official North American website (if available).
|--------------
| European Release
| Title: European title (if it differs from the Japanese title).
| Release Date: European release date.
| Retail: European retail price.
| Website: The game's official European website (if available).

Gameplay
A general description of the game, including its various modes, strategies, and general gameplay.

Plot
If applicable, a summary of the game's plot.

Playable Characters
A list of playable characters.

Development
When appropriate, a description of the game's production, including who initially designed it, notes about its design or conception, promotion, etc.

Notes
Information that does not fit into any other category. Reserved for real-world information. In-universe information should be incorporated into the gameplay overview or other appropriate categories.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Wiki: Page Template Discussion - Video Games

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:39 am

Some technical information would be great!

In the information box, you could include 'Frame Rate' and 'Internal Resolution'. The latter may be harder to determine but the former should be pretty simple.

For the types of games this franchise has, I feel like that information would be really useful.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Some technical information would be great!
I think we can swing that, assuming people besides myself can provide the needed info. :wink: (I don't think it's a big secret that games aren't exactly my forte, but that's what Mike is for!)

I do have some additional questions for everyone:
  • In the information box, does it make the most sense to divide everything up by region (Japan, North America, and Europe)?
  • Should we include games that were not released and/or developed in Japan?
Also, where are my gamers? I know we have a whole section of the forum dedicated to you! :P

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:17 am

Hujio wrote:Should we include games that were not released and/or developed in Japan?
Why wouldn't you? It wouldn't be a complete database if you didn't. =P

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:57 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Why wouldn't you? It wouldn't be a complete database if you didn't. =P
Well, I figured as much, but I wanted some discussion and input. I mean, I suppose I can make all the wiki decisions for us, but I honestly can't do that... Or can I?! :D :P

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:52 am

This all looks pretty good, I don't think there's anything I can suggest to improve it. Well...at least not on it's initial run.

There are two things that I do think might be informative to have, but they would be less of a priority, and more likely something that could be added later on.

1) In addition to a list of Playable Characters, perhaps a list of characters that aren't playable but do make an appearance of some sort? That could still be useful in determining what characters have at least appeared in what games. Also (though I suppose this could be the kind of thing that you meant for the 'Notes' area), maybe a listing of game-only characters that originate from a game? I'm talking about the fairly noteable ones, like that Kuririn-alien thing from one of the early games, the Tenshinhan/Yamcha fusion in Budokai 2, Soba the Yardratian in Sagas, that kind of thing.

2) A list of the cast for said game might be useful as well, to note where certain actors might have been unavailable or where they might have actually been replaced prior to Kai due to a variety of reasons. I'm thinking of this for both the English and Japanese casts (and other casts if they exist...have the games ever had other dubs?), but I understand that the Japanese cast would take priority here.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:55 am

Hujio wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Some technical information would be great!
I think we can swing that, assuming people besides myself can provide the needed info. :wink: (I don't think it's a big secret that games aren't exactly my forte, but that's what Mike is for!)
At whatever point you're open to user help, I'd be happy to throw some information your way about that kinda stuff.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:14 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:(and other casts if they exist...have the games ever had other dubs?)
I don't believe so.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:45 am

The only other dub cast would be Final Bout, which had new dub voices on the character select screen and win screens, and the Japanese cast during the actual fights. Pretty sure we have all those voices documented somewhere.

I'll obviously be doing a lot of content work on the video games pages, and it'll likely tie in with a relaunch of the video game guide on the site. :)

Of course, I say that now, but who knows what I actually mean...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 am

I look forward to that if it does work out the way you have it planned, then! (Though I definitely know how plans change at the drop of a hat, happens to me often enough...)

I actually forgot all about Final Bout's 'other' cast, heh. What I was thinking of though was if the French, or Spanish, or Chinese, or German, or whatever other dub casts had ever gotten to dub any of the games for release in their territories. I don't think that's the case as I seem to remember most other areas just getting the games with the FUNi cast and the original Japanese cast selectable, but I'm hardly an expert, and my memory is possibly worse than Toriyama's at times, so...

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:40 pm

I think a list of available languages, both as text and voice, is useful (perhaps using flags in the infobox?).

KND

Post by KND » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:13 pm

For rpgs and non fighting games a list with the enemies and maybe pictures would be nice. For fighting games an album with the characters costume and pallet swaps. And if possible in plot section talk about the what-ifs stories.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:38 am

Can I have the Legendary Super Warriors page? I promise I'll take care of it :D

On topic, how about a single page collecting Dragon Ball Easter Eggs from games outside the franchise?

For example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0SiVD0CHM#t=31

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/api ... ikiee2.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH01uChfexA

Not to mention Super Sonic and the tons of other "Over 9000" references in gaming.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 pm

I would like to know if the credits to these games would be included in the Wiki. I can't tell you how many times I've tried looking for credits to games (not just Dragon Ball ones, either) only to not be able to find them anywhere (especially when they aren't easily viewable in-game).

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:I would like to know if the credits to these games would be included in the Wiki. I can't tell you how many times I've tried looking for credits to games (not just Dragon Ball ones, either) only to not be able to find them anywhere (especially when they aren't easily viewable in-game).
That's certainly something I would imagine we start including in our own guide on the site, and off the top of my head I don't see a problem with having that information duplicated on the Wiki page.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

I have another intriguing question that I'd love to get some feedback on, since I don't think there's ever been a consensus. When referring to a Japanese video game on the wiki, how should we actually refer to it? By its romanized name, translated name, or fan name?

As an example...
Romanized: Sūpā Butōden Tsū
Translated: Super Martial Arts Legend 2
Fan: Super Butōden 2

I know this doesn't necessarily apply to every game, as some are just straight-up English already (or the international releases retained the title), but I think we need some standard way to refer to these older games that often go by what I call, "fan names". This is mainly focused on the naming conventions of their respective pages on the wiki for linking purposes.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm

I think the romanized name is more appropriate. The official english translation (if it exists) and fan name can remain in the infobox and be used as redirects.

Although in the example you gave, shouldn't it be Sūpā Butōden 2? The number is not written in full.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: I think the romanized name is more appropriate. The official English translation (if it exists) and fan name can remain in the infobox and be used as redirects.
I concur with this as well. For the sake of accuracy, official Japanese names should be romanized and used throughout the wiki, if no official English translation exists. Obviously to avoid confusion though, common names should definitely be used as redirects. This means that, for example, fans will have to "unlearn what they have learned" and start recognizing names such as Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu purely romanized, rather than being referred to in shorthand as "Legends."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 pm

I can't believe I never realized things like 'Legends' and 'Super Butouden' were just fan names rather than some kind of official name of some sort.

As used as I am to thinking of those old games with those names (whenever I do think of them anyway), I guess I would have to agree that the main listing should be using either some kind of romanized version of the title, preferably, and maybe in parentheses next to that the translated name. The commonly used fan names could just be used in re-directs and maybe a mention in the info on the game's page somewhere.

I always feel kind of demanding mentioning what I'd like to see in this Wiki, even though it's all up to the staff, since there's not really anything I can offer in-so-far as help. I dunno why, but I do...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

I think romanised is fine. If the article explicitly mentions the fan name, and searches with the term redirect to the page, then that's all good.

No reason to stick with a name for the sake of fan familiarity.