"Factoids" Section... Any Ideas?

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:12 pm

To be honest I never found PN THAT good. They were just one of the first 00ber-info sites, which made them a central-hub of the DB community. Anybody can copy out sections of the daizenshuu. It's more fun to go through the manga for info skipped over in the daizenshuu. I really only use the daizenshuu to fill in gaps.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:21 pm

I totally agree with that!! Info was something they never found in short supply, especially from the daizenshuu's. But did you ever check out their Manga Guide, it was pretty extensive, at least i thought so... speaking of Manga (though I know this is in the wrong section, I'm just curious)... Julian... how's that real "Manga Guide" coming?? 8)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:14 pm

Hujio wrote:I totally agree with that!! Info was something they never found in short supply, especially from the daizenshuu's. But did you ever check out their Manga Guide, it was pretty extensive, at least i thought so... speaking of Manga (though I know this is in the wrong section, I'm just curious)... Julian... how's that real "Manga Guide" coming?? 8)
Eh... well... haven't really started it yet. If I get some time later today, I might do some work on starting it, but you must realize that as a college student, my free time gets reduced a tad during school...

However, if Mike feels up to it, I say let's go for it! :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:30 pm

but you must realize that as a college student, my free time gets reduced a tad during school...
**Sigh** ....so true. :cry:
But after this semester it's off to working for minimum wage for me for the rest of my life! Woohoo! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:49 pm

I always liked their "Hair Guide". It was an interesting idea, especially when you have Bulma and Yamcha as characters.

I don't know if this counts as "factoids", but what about something translating all the Japanese lettering on people's clothing? DBZ Uncensored had something a bit like that, but it wasn't complete.

How about actual ages said out loud (or written, er, out loud)? And possibly a mention that Goku and Bulma don't seem to age at all during the year gap between Oolong's wish and the Red Ribbon stuff?

The fact that the orange gi's were based on what Shaolin Monks wear?

The fact that "Red Ribon" is spelt in such manner every single time it appears in the manga (and that TOEI corrected it for the manga)?

The fact that the Saiyan uniforms that Gohan and Kuririn put on on Namek match the ones that Vegeta and Nappa wore (I know that's not exactly a "fact", but I never realised until it was pointed out to me. Is there any reasoning behind it, or is it coincidence?)

Oh, and the fact that Dodoria really doesn't look well on the back of the new releases of the manga...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:58 pm

Factoid: Goku's gi are the same colour as the excrement of frogs from planet Popol (knew Kibito was good for SOMETHING!)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:48 pm

Tenshinhan's third eye never blinks! I agree with whoever said that it's probably painted on.

But, er, the fact that it's based on that whole "enlightenment" thing would be a nice fact.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:27 am

PsyLiam wrote:Tenshinhan's third eye never blinks! I agree with whoever said that it's probably painted on.

But, er, the fact that it's based on that whole "enlightenment" thing would be a nice fact.
It doesn't 'blink' (atleast in unision with his other two) but it does close sometimes. Like when he's beaten unconsious or such.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:35 am

It's wide open though after Nappa kills him via the power of, er, making him a bit tired.

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:34 am

How did Tein get his third eye? I seem to forgot.
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:53 pm

He always just had it.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:48 pm

Buying glasses must have been a real bitch.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:12 pm

Not only that, but his third eye doesn't even have an eyebrow. He must get sweat and dirt in it all the time.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:22 pm

Maybe that's why he became rubbish. Too much time wasted buying eye-drops, not enough time spent training.

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:09 pm

What about mentioning how many times the word 'Kame Hame Ha' was used in the manga?

Trivial crap, really, but it's be interesting to know :lol:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:43 pm

While we're on that kind of subject, why not also count the number of times Vegita said he'd one day beat Goku. It would probably rival the number of Kamehamehas. :mrgreen:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:52 pm

Or the number of times Goku's friends get beaten up and almost die, BUT THEN GOKU TURNS UP AND SAVES THE DAY!

Woo!

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:46 pm

This one isn't fact, but is probably true: Androids 1-7 were made for the Red Ribbon Army for their discretion. Since Sargent Metallic/Metal/whatever he's called in english is an android working for the Red Ribbon army, well put 2 and 2 together. Along these lines there's also a possibility that Cyborg Tao Paipai may be Android 9-12.
Hmmm I think it's an interesting proposal, but I want to frown on it. The chart of Dr. Gero's androids states that 1 to 7 all had problems. It's feasible that he would be working for them, but I just want to say no if 1 to 7 are supposed to be problematic. Why would Gero let a problematic android run around on its own? True, #8 turned out to be a failure, but that's only till Goku started talking to him and changing his motives.

Cyborg Tao Pie Pie I also want to say no to, simply because I think it would have been mentioned somewhere if he was indeed one of Gero's. However, myself and a few others seem to remember reading somewhere that Tao Pie Pie was made into a cyborg BY Gero. None of us can remember where we got this information from, though...if it was on some random site, in a doujinshi, a fanfic, etc. So again, I want to say no, Cyborg Tao Pie Pie isn't one of the good doctor's.

And for the hell of it, let me type up the chart in my Shonen Jump for ya'll. :D

The history of Dr. Gero's Androids!!
All androids after #8 were built to defeat the destroyer of the RRA, Son Goku!"

#1 to #7 - "All had various problems."
#8 was too gentle and "became friends with Goku. A total failure."
#9 to #15 all "had one problem or another, but 13, 14 and 15 were pretty close to final android form."
#16 - "For some reason, Dr. Gero said #16 was a failure. Its personality was probably the major problem, but there were other flaws, too. (Total artificial construct type)"
#17 - "Too much attention was placed on its power capabilities, so it refused to take orders. Failure. (Cyborg)"
#18 - "Although its power was surpressed - compared to #17 - it also did not follow orders. Failure. (Cyborg)"
#19 - "A success, but Vegeta destroyed it. (Total artificial construct type)"
#20 - "Finally, Dr. Gero turned himself into a cyborg. It was blown up by #17! (Cyborg)"
Cell - "Previously, Dr. Gero tried to use bio-technology to create an android, but due to time constraints, he programmed a computer to finish the experiment. It was created by combining the genes of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza, Freeza's father, and a number of other lifeforms."

As for factoids, I think there are a bunch of them in this chart right here (which you can see a terribly blurry pic of here: http://www.cyborgmemoirs.com/shrine/androidabc.jpg ), specifically that ALL of Gero's creations were considered failures, except for fatty #19 and Cell, which he never lived to see. The whole 'cyborg not android' thing concerning 17 and 18 might be factoid-worthy (didn't see that one coming DIDJA?), but that's not really cute, quirky info like Bulma's mom opening her eyes.[/i]
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:43 pm

I'd say that #8 was a failure long before Goku turned up. After all, he hid the dragonball from the Red Ribbon Army in case they did anything bad with it.

Also, I think that technically, a cyborg IS an android. A cyborg is a human with artificial parts. If you want to be pedantic, someone with a pacemaker is a cyborg. Hell, someone wearing glasses is a cyborg. But that's being silly, and most people sensibly go for a more thorough fusing of machine and human parts.

Android itself has many defintions. The most common being (according to Cambridge) "a robot (= computer-controlled machine) which is made to look like a human". But there are other definitions, including "An automaton that is created from biological materials and resembles a human". #17 and #18 could fit that definition, as well as the adjective definition of "resembles a man".

Cool chart though. I'm guessing the comment on #13, #14 and #15 is a sly reference to the 7th movie.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:57 pm

PsyLiam wrote:I'd say that #8 was a failure long before Goku turned up. After all, he hid the dragonball from the Red Ribbon Army in case they did anything bad with it.
Yeah, but they didn't know he was a failure until Goku came along. They also obviously didn't know he was keeping a DB from them.

Actually, I guess they didn't know anything about him. Afterall, they were scared of him although he's actually much more afraid of them... I guess Goku opened their eyes in that way.