DBZ Movies: Where They Fit In

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 am

Well, Movie 6 really doesn't fit anywhere and is probably the most out of continuity because Dende is Kami of Earth but Gohan doesn't have his training in the Room of Spirit and Time yet. But Gohan had that training before Dende became Kami, so that time doesn't exist at all.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:Well, Movie 6 really doesn't fit anywhere and is probably the most out of continuity because Dende is Kami of Earth but Gohan doesn't have his training in the Room of Spirit and Time yet. But Gohan had that training before Dende became Kami, so that time doesn't exist at all.
Not to mention the entire planet the movie takes place on is one big plothole.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 am

Movie 6 fits perfectly if you just ignore the comments about Dende being Kami, and the Z Warriors knowing where New Namek is. It's in the 3 years peace before the Androids.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:20 pm

DBZ MOVIE #5: The Incredible Mightiest vs. Mightiest

WHERE IT FITS IN: After Goku has defeated Freeza, but long before Trunks has arrived in the past.

EVIDENCE: Goku is able to go SSJ, but cannot seemingly do so at-will. Everyone's alive, again.

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Goku shouldn't be back on Earth, yet. Goku does not arrive back on Earth until Trunks has arrived, as he's still out in space wandering around (or training on Yardrat).
Just out of interest, why couldn't these events occur in the year training before the androids arrive? Trunks would have returned to the future so he wouldn't have been around anyway.

Lol

Post by Lol » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Teclo wrote:

WHERE IT FITS IN: After Goku has defeated Freeza, but long before Trunks has arrived in the past.

EVIDENCE: Goku is able to go SSJ, but cannot seemingly do so at-will. Everyone's alive, again.

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Goku shouldn't be back on Earth, yet. Goku does not arrive back on Earth until Trunks has arrived, as he's still out in space wandering around (or training on Yardrat).
Just out of interest, why couldn't these events occur in the year training before the androids arrive? Trunks would have returned to the future so he wouldn't have been around anyway.
Beacase in the Androids 3 years gap, Goku already knows how to control the SSJ and he would just simple kick Colla's butt. And he seems to not control the SSJ well, he still needs to be in anger to trigger the transformation (He only transforms when Piccolo is hit, or something like that).

But it is possible to take in consideration that he was in shock and couldn't control the Super Sayan transformation very well? I know it's kinda dumb, but he has just seen the brother of his greatest enemy at the time... So maybe he was just shocked and didn't know what to do.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Lol wrote:But it is possible to take in consideration that he was in shock and couldn't control the Super Sayan transformation very well? I know it's kinda dumb, but he has just seen the brother of his greatest enemy at the time... So maybe he was just shocked and didn't know what to do.
It's possible, I guess. That or he'd have thought he didn't need Super Saiyan at first, until Coola started kicking his butt, but Goku couldn't get a spare moment to build up the transformation.

Also, another aspect of the movie is Gohan's apparent age. Gohan aged a year or so and looked a LOT different at Trunks' arrival, but Movie 5 Gohan looks just like he did on Namek, both in age and appearance.
deviantART
[thread]

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 am

Well I just finished watching movie 7 and I noticed a stupid mistake.

In the TV series (and presumably the manga), Trunks breaks his sword fighting #18 and never uses it again. In movie 7 he has his sword which would place this event before his sword is broken (that itself is kind of odd since the film's events happen after the group see #17 and #18 kill Gero then leave the lab and before the sword breaking shortly afterwards. which isn't really possible).

So Trunks has his sword and we can just assume he hasn't broken it against #18 yet but then at the end of the film he breaks his sword on #13. That actually goes beyond making it impossible to chronologically place the film and goes into the "this film couldn't actually have happened" category.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:18 am

The DBZ movies really aren't supposed to fit in to the series' timeline. They're seperate stories, and it's just a bonus when they do happen to fit (only 9 and 13, I believe).
deviantART
[thread]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:21 am

Teclo wrote:Well I just finished watching movie 7 and I noticed a stupid mistake.

In the TV series (and presumably the manga), Trunks breaks his sword fighting #18 and never uses it again. In movie 7 he has his sword which would place this event before his sword is broken (that itself is kind of odd since the film's events happen after the group see #17 and #18 kill Gero then leave the lab and before the sword breaking shortly afterwards. which isn't really possible).

So Trunks has his sword and we can just assume he hasn't broken it against #18 yet but then at the end of the film he breaks his sword on #13. That actually goes beyond making it impossible to chronologically place the film and goes into the "this film couldn't actually have happened" category.

You could always just use the cheap excuse that Bulma made him a new one.

I've always really thought of the movies as side stories, just taking a certain arc for a basis and then taking the characters that were around at the time and putting them up against some new threat. Though it is kinda fun to try and make them fit and there are certain ones that actually could.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:54 pm

I was thinking that Movie 5 could fit in when the Z Fighters are training for the Androids.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:46 am

Lol wrote:
Teclo wrote:

Beacase in the Androids 3 years gap, Goku already knows how to control the SSJ and he would just simple kick Colla's butt. And he seems to not control the SSJ well, he still needs to be in anger to trigger the transformation (He only transforms when Piccolo is hit, or something like that).

But it is possible to take in consideration that he was in shock and couldn't control the Super Sayan transformation very well? I know it's kinda dumb, but he has just seen the brother of his greatest enemy at the time... So maybe he was just shocked and didn't know what to do.
I answered this a page back- Goku transforms when he has to. He's not really about excessive force. He took a surprise hit while defending Gohan that took him out for most of the movie. When recovered, he was able to kick Coola's ass without even needing Kaio-ken. Why bother with SSJ?? When Coola transformed, Goku figured a simple Kaio-ken would do the trick. That failed and Coola laid him out. As soon as he got up, he transformed and that was the end of the fight.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Movies: Where They Fit In

Post by TobyS » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Movie Nine:

Tenshinhan: "You'll probably never see me again"
*5 minutes later*
"Hai you gais wanna fite in a tourney!"

Years later Gohan says: "Tenshinhan said we would probably never see him again"
not: "Tenshinhan said we would probably never see him again, even though we did, but he came to that other tournament with less reason then this one, I'll go find him".

Trunk's hair is long.

Chi-chi is not visibly pregnant.

Wouldn't Kaio-sama have straight away said to Goku "You dumbass my planet was sealing a space pirate and his crew stronger then Freeza"
"But we can't tell the others, let it be a shock and suprise lolz"

I'm a believer in the "Piccolo was not much further behind Trunks and Vegeta" thing.
If you are then why is Piccolo only a match for base Bojack while "I'll never train again" Vegeta (not even USSJ) requires green-bojack?

Vegeta says "I'll never fight again", true we see he has kept training or started up again by Buu, but it makes him insincere, if some time has elapsed then we run into then the Piccolo issue becomes bigger (Piccolo should have closed the gap even more and exaserbated the problem) or Chi-Chi should be preggers or holding Goten. If Vegeta got straight back into it then shouldn't Trunk's hair be shorter?

I find it hard to believe that Gohan would not keep up his training after a close shave sans Goku that disproved Goku's hypothesis about threats being due to Goku, and reinforcing the fact that Gohan is needed and the heir to Goku etc. (If you throw in the 2nd Broli movie as well it gets down right impossible that he woulda stopped training).

Movie 13 is possible although Goku seems a bit Toei hax and maybe Gotenks is implied to be above Gohan?

Where were Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Piccolo. At the very least they couda been evaccing civilians. Yamcha is implied to live in west city is he not?

Piccolo would deffo want to get stuck in.

The sword could just be similar or as others have suggested or the "mercy killing scenario" took place in the future.

Other then that none of them fit for more obvious reasons.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 am

TobyS wrote:Chi-chi is not visibly pregnant.
Chi-Chi wasn't visibly pregnant before or after, and the Daizenshuu timeline or whatever suggests that Goten had been concieved for some time before the Cell Games. Besides, Toriyama doesn't seem to draw pregnant women. Children are just introduced in the story after a time gap.

Plus, Movie #9 premiered on July 10, 1993, before Goten even appeared in Volume 36 on November 9, 1993, so they wouldn't have known that Toriyama was planning to introduce Goten.
TobyS wrote:Wouldn't Kaio-sama have straight away said to Goku "You dumbass my planet was sealing a space pirate and his crew stronger then Freeza"
"But we can't tell the others, let it be a shock and suprise lolz"
Kaio didn't even realize that Cell's soul hadn't gone into Enma's check-in station until Goku reminded him and was probably busy taking a breath of relief after averting the Cell crisis.
TobyS wrote:I'm a believer in the "Piccolo was not much further behind Trunks and Vegeta" thing.
If you are then why is Piccolo only a match for base Bojack while "I'll never train again" Vegeta (not even USSJ) requires green-bojack?
I thought base Bojack annihilated both Piccolo and SSj Vegeta. I don't know why Bojack spontaneously transformed, because he had beaten the crap out of Vegeta before he decided to transform.
TobyS wrote:Vegeta says "I'll never fight again", true we see he has kept training or started up again by Buu, but it makes him insincere, if some time has elapsed then we run into then the Piccolo issue becomes bigger (Piccolo should have closed the gap even more and exaserbated the problem) or Chi-Chi should be preggers or holding Goten. If Vegeta got straight back into it then shouldn't Trunk's hair be shorter?
Judging by the fact that he started up training again in the Boo arc, I think he was just throwing a tantrum out of anger and frustration over his rival's death. And I think I recall Kaboom having a theory that the reason Trunks' hair was long rather than short when we see him in Movie #9 was because when he went back to the past to tell Gohan and co. about defeating the Androids in his time, he decided to wait for the tournament that had been announced so he could fight in it with his friends, and in that time his hair grew out.
TobyS wrote:I find it hard to believe that Gohan would not keep up his training after a close shave sans Goku that disproved Goku's hypothesis about threats being due to Goku, and reinforcing the fact that Gohan is needed and the heir to Goku etc. (If you throw in the 2nd Broli movie as well it gets down right impossible that he woulda stopped training).
Gohan had stopped training by the Boo arc because there was peace on Earth. He had never been a fighter, and had been influenced by Chi-Chi to focus on his schoolwork and his dream of becoming a scholar rather than do something he was never passionate about in the first place at a time when no-one thought a villain stronger than Cell could ever threaten Earth.
TobyS wrote:Movie 13 is possible although Goku seems a bit Toei hax and maybe Gotenks is implied to be above Gohan?

Where were Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Piccolo. At the very least they couda been evaccing civilians. Yamcha is implied to live in west city is he not?

Piccolo would deffo want to get stuck in.
Yeah, it seems that, paralleling the Boo arc, no-one but the Saiyans really fight anymore. Piccolo's last appearance in a movie was Movie #9, which paralleled the Cell Games, the last time he was seen fighting.

For an in-universe explanation, I think I'm going to decide that, like in the Boo arc, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaozu realized how useless they are against a threat that Goku, Vegeta and Gohan could probably handle by themselves anyway. That, or they were all locked up in a sex dungeon in Chi-Chi's basement.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Chi-Chi wasn't visibly pregnant before or after, and the Daizenshuu timeline or whatever suggests that Goten had been concieved for some time before the Cell Games.
That's what we get from the series too: Goten is said to be 7 years old, 7 years after the Cell Games. The fact that Chi Chi's not visibly pregnant during the Cell Games is kind of a plot hole in the manga itself.

Edit: Something that just occurred to me about DBZ movie 9: in the main series during the 25th TB, Piccolo enters under the name "Ma Junior" like he did back at the 23rd tournament, saying that if he openly called himself "Piccolo" it would cause a panic. But in the movie's tournament he just enters as "Piccolo".
Last edited by Herms on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Herms wrote:That's what we get from the series too: Goten is said to be 7 years old, 7 years after the Cell Games. The fact that Chi Chi's not visibly pregnant during the Cell Games is kind of a plot hole in the manga itself.
Why should she be visible pregnant after less than 10 days O_o

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:54 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Why should she be visible pregnant after less than 10 days O_o
Because she couldn't be less than 10 days pregnant during the Cell Games if Goten is 7 years old 7 years later. The whole idea that Goten was conceived in the 10 days leading up to the Cell Games is just fan assumption not established in the series.

...Why doesn't BBCode work in this thread?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 am

Herms wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Chi-Chi wasn't visibly pregnant before or after, and the Daizenshuu timeline or whatever suggests that Goten had been concieved for some time before the Cell Games.
That's what we get from the series too: Goten is said to be 7 years old, 7 years after the Cell Games. The fact that Chi Chi's not visibly pregnant during the Cell Games is kind of a plot hole in the manga itself.
Yeah, so it's not a plothole exclusive to Movie #9.
Herms wrote:Edit: Something that just occurred to me about DBZ movie 9: in the main series during the 25th TB, Piccolo enters under the name "Ma Junior" like he did back at the 23rd tournament, saying that if he openly called himself "Piccolo" it would cause a panic. But in the movie's tournament he just enters as "Piccolo".
That's a definite plothole. Although Piccolo calling himself "Ma Junior" at the 25th TB is a plothole too, because people at the 23rd TB knew that "Ma Junior" was really Piccolo when his turban blew off and he admitted that he was Piccolo. I think it would be extremely convenient if, in all the spectators at the 25th TB, none of them also spectated at the 23rd TB.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:36 am

Herms wrote:...Why doesn't BBCode work in this thread?
For some reason, the "Disable BBCode" box was checked on those last couple of posts. Odd. I fixed them.
deviantART
[thread]

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 am

[quote]DBZ MOVIE #5: The Incredible Mightiest vs. Mightiest

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Goku shouldn't be back on Earth, yet. Goku does not arrive back on Earth until Trunks has arrived, as he's still out in space wandering around (or training on Yardrat).[quote]

It should be perfectly possible after the Trunks arriving. That Goku can't go to SSJ easy is just a Toei stupid idea, even in that chase, it should be absord say because of that is before the Trunk's arrives. In the namek battle Goku gone to his normal form and after to SSJ easily.

[quote]DBZ MOVIE #6: Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors

WHERE IT FITS IN: After Goku has defeated Freeza, and sometime soon before Trunks arrives in the past.

EVIDENCE: Goku is able to go SSJ at will and knows Shunkan-ido. Everyone is alive.

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Same as movie five. Goku shouldn't be back on Earth, yet. Goku does not arrive back on Earth until Trunks has arrived, as he's still out in space wandering around (or training on Yardrat)[/quote]

Why it must be before Trunks?
Okay, you can just say, "Vegeta comes to SSJ, in the series is with A-19". But in this movie, the only one who sees Vegeta SSJ it's Goku, no more, and in the series, when Vegeta SSJ appears, Goku is unconscious. It should be after the Trunks arriving and in the 3 years of training before the androids without any problems.

[quote]DBZ MOVIE #8: Burn Up!! A Close, Intense, Super-Fierce Battle

WHERE IT FITS IN: Sometime during 2nd-Form Cell or early Perfect Cell arcs.

EVIDENCE: Gohan is able to go SSJ1, but not SSJ2. Trunks appears as if he might be able to go USSJ.

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Everyone should either be training in the Room of Spirit of Time, or fighting with Cell.[/quote]

It can be perfectly in one of the ten days before the Cell games, NOT all the days the warriors was training, and also, like Piccolo, who could be training too, could felt the ki of Broly or something.

[quote]DBZ MOVIE #13: Dragon Fist Explosion!! If Goku Won't Do It, Who Will?

WHY IT CAN'T WORK:The only thing that should be going on is that Goku should be off training with Uub. Other than
that, there's nothing really conflicting with these events happening.[/quote]

That's nosense, it should be some months o even 1 or 2 years after Majin Buu was defeated.

By the way, I can't quote anything...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 am

[quote="Raykugen"][quote]DBZ MOVIE #8: Burn Up!! A Close, Intense, Super-Fierce Battle

WHERE IT FITS IN: Sometime during 2nd-Form Cell or early Perfect Cell arcs.

EVIDENCE: Gohan is able to go SSJ1, but not SSJ2. Trunks appears as if he might be able to go USSJ.

WHY IT CAN'T WORK: Everyone should either be training in the Room of Spirit of Time, or fighting with Cell.[/quote]

It can be perfectly in one of the ten days before the Cell games, NOT all the days the warriors was training, and also, like Piccolo, who could be training too, could felt the ki of Broly or something.[/quote]

The problem here is that Goku and Gohan should stay Super Saiyan all those days. However, the movie begins with Goku and Chichi going for an interview to go Gohan to a school. So, I imagine that Chichi told Goku to take a break for the interview, because I doupt Chichi letting Goku to go there with his Super Saiyan hairstyle, so Goku told Gohan to also take a little break, and there you have it! The movie actually fits if you think it like I do.

P.S. The BBCode is messed up again in this thread.