Appule - "Character Guide" Help Needed!

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:33 pm

In my quest to find something productive to do, this evening, I finished a new character profile and analysis!

http://www.daizex.com/guides/characters ... en/appule/

New favorite character.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:45 pm

Bitching. I dunno why I feel like giving you supplemental info, but the daizenshuu tacked on the fact that he's inferior (in terms of strength) to a Namekkian.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:16 am

From what I've read on IMDB, his English voice was done by Terry Klaasen. He does sound like it too. Thought I'd mention it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:13 am

Super Sonic wrote:From what I've read on IMDB, his English voice was done by Terry Klaasen. He does sound like it too. Thought I'd mention it.
Terry Klassen? Doing every minor character ever?! I'd have NEVER expected it!

Thanks! ^^.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:54 am

Looks great EX. ^_^ Found a typo. You mistakenly wrote "Appule is instantly fried by the last" instead of "blast".
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:54 am

Thanks yas. Fixing typo and adding Klassen right now. w00t.

And... yes... that's another crazy-ass cut-out image I did underneath the kana name. Whee, is fun.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:59 pm

But Appule was around much longer than you claim.
(Note that Appule has a twin brother. His twin brother has a scouter, and is killed by one of the old Nameckians in chapter 252)

Appule first appears in chapter 247, where he and some nameless henchmen have taken a Dragon Ball from a Nameckian house.
He next appears in chapter 248, where he's just standing there.
He's definitly in chapter 249, where we see both Appule AND his twin brother in the same panel, where they are flying off toward the next village.
He IS in chapter 250, but he's very hard to see (I think he's in the upper right of the panel with all the henchmen viewed from the front.)
In chapter 251, he leads Cargo, Dende and their father out of their house.
I'm not sure if he's in chapter 252. His brother is, but he's killed later in the chapter. He might be in one of the panels viewed from high above, since it's hard to see if anyone is carrying scouters or not at the time.
He's in chapter 253, where he and the other henchmen attack a bunch of Nameckians (oddly enough, his twin brother seems to be alive in one of the panels. But he's dead in a later one. Weird. Maybe he survived the blast, got back up, fought a bit, then was killed in the battle.) Anyway, the Nameckians kill everybody but Freeza, Zarbon, Dodoria and Appule, and one of them is about to kill Appule.
Then, in chapter 254, Dodoria saves Appule by killing all the Nameckian warriors. The elder finally surrenders, and give his Dragon Ball to Appule.
Appule IS in chapter 255, but he doesn't do anything (neither does Zarbon. It's all Dodoria and Freeza's show.)
He doesn't appears again until chapter 260, since the manga focuses on Dodoria, Vegeta and the good guys for a moment (He doesn't do anything other than wait for Dodoria to return anyway). Anyway, since the elder destroyed their scouters, Zarbon and Appule give their Dragon Balls to Freeza, and flies in opposite directions to look for villages.
Since Zarbon stumbled upon Vegeta, the manga found it far more interesting to focus on him than Appule, who was just flying around looking for stuff anyway. Appule is back in chapter 264, where he finds the village vegeta destroyed, and this is what Ex claim is his first appearance. Almost 20 chapters later than his real first appearance.

(Oddly enough, he is never named in the danish manga. Freeza simply adresses him as "you".)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:07 pm

He's right. I remember Appule standing in a fighting pose in front of a Namekkian warrior (while every other henchmen is dead) after Muri destroys all the scouters. Then Dodoria kill the three Nameks.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:12 pm

Ah, fucktards. I knew I didn't go back far enough. *sigh* Guess I'll have to fix all that later... tomorrow... sometime...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:54 pm

OK, this is making it a really tough call.

The guy who shows up in chapter 247 (Viz DBZ 053) clearly looks like Appule. However, in the anime scene of the same thing (episode 44), he's orange/yellow. Now, it could just be that they hadn't decided what color to make him. (Image 01)

Then in episode 45, this seems to be the same guy. (Image 02)

In episode 46, we've got the group of baddies flying away, and these two images. (Images 03 & 04)

Towards the end of episode 46, this is what we have as Muri, Dende, and Cargo are led out of the house. (Image 05)

In episode 47, there's now a guy that looks like this. (Image 06)

Here's a long-shot of the same group of people shortly after... notice the changes in color on the henchmen... (Image 07)

Soon after, this guy is killed by an older Namekian (who Zarbon kills immediately after). (Image 08)

And so who's behind Muri and Dende and Cargo? (Image 09)

Then the warrior Namekians show up. (Image 10)

Laughing about their power readings... (Image 11)

The henchmen charge forwards. (Image 12)

This guy gets hit, but not all that badly. (Image 13)

Here he is, blocking the incoming wind and blasts. (Image 14)

Getting kicked away with another henchmen. (Image 15)

Fighting some more. (Image 16)

Then Dodoria goes ape-shit, kills the Namekians, and eventually chases after Gohan, Dende, and Kuririn. We don't see any of the henchmen (that are left, at this point) anywhere in here. Next episode (49), Vegeta and Dodoria fight.

We don't even see Freeza again until episode 50. Then we've got these two shots, which is finally the "correct" shade of purple for Appule (I've brightened up the images a little bit, though. (Images 17 & 18)

And then browsing through again real quickly, I don't believe we see him AT ALL again until 54, which is when I know it's actually him, and where I thought we first saw him.

HELP. Refer to image numbers. Let me know who you think is who. Do we agree that Appule never wears a scouter? What's the consensus on the color-schemes?

For the love of all things holy, I never thought such a minor character was going to be such a headache.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:21 pm

Pff. Obviously he can change his color at will.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:26 pm

Zackarotto wrote:Pff. Obviously he can change his color at will.
Yeah, 'cuz that was extremely helpful :P.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:36 pm

I would just say that they're just a generic henchman design that got overused and wasn't really noticed. If he looks even slightly different, it wouldn't be the same guy.

Have two different color designs been called by the same name? If so, it's a plothole that you can get around by saying their race shares names, or something. :?

Or you can just be like me (bad idea) and make up a complicated story about him and his brothers, or whatever, that can change colors and make it look like their brothers don't die, and have decided to work as one, doing the work of multiple people for great treatment by Freeza! With hilarious results!!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:18 am

I'd just assumed, while watching the Anime, that they were all different people. But I suppose it's possible that, save for the guy who ends up dead, they're all Appule and TOEI just didn't know what color he was supposed to be or something. Not much help though, is it? :?

EDIT: I just found a way to add even more confusion.... Take a look at images 1, 8, and 16. Appule (or his doubble, whatever) is wearing blue gloves/boots that are the color of the grass almost. Yet, in all other images he's in white gloves/boots.... With the exception of image 2 where he's not even wearing actual gloves.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:49 am

As for that, it could easily be a change of clothes...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:41 am

Possibly, but I've done some more looking at the images. The guy in image 2 and the one in image 5 have the same 'gloves' so I think they're the same guy... The orange/yellow guy is someone seperate of them as well I believe. And bassed off the spots on them (each coloration does have a different pattern it looks like, the last one is the only one with spots on his eyebrows) I'd say the guy in images 17&18 is Appule and the others are members of his race but not him.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:30 pm

Hey, if Vegeta can change his hair color from brown to black, I'd say Appule can change his skin color from gray to purple. Appule WAS around after the battle, and the grey guy was never killed (but everybody else was), so I'd say he's Appule. The Appule-lookalike who was killed was wearing a scouter, and Appule was never shown wearing one after this guy's death.

(Interestingly enough, the guy in picture 3 and 4 was wearing a scouter in the manga.)

So, according to the manga:

The yellow guy is Appule.
Then the purple guy is Appule's brother (who removed his scouter for picture 3 and 4).
Appule's brother then turns grey/blue, and is killed by one of the Nameckians.
Now Appule turns blue/grey, fights for a while, then turns purple and flies off to look for a village.

Consistency was overrated anyway.

Kooshmeister

Post by Kooshmeister » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 am

Appule is one of my favorite characters in the show, I don't know why. I just seem to have this weird affinity for minor, ignored characters, especially henchmen, and it's nice to see ol' Alien-head getting this much attention.

Anyway, anybody else notice that he goes from wearing a speedo, to a jumpsuit, then a speedo, then back to a jumpsuit again, and finally he's back in a speedo again when the animators finally settled on the right color/outfit for him. To quote that one bully played by Billy Zane in Back to the Future Part II: "How'd he change his clothes so fast?!"

Also! Appule was shown wearing a scouter on his Super Barcode Wars card, which I used to have (and where his name was spelled "Apoule" and he was also wearing the wrong outfit). His scouter on the card was colored red.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Um... This thread has been dead for almost 3 years. Maybe you should read the rules.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Kooshmeister

Post by Kooshmeister » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 am

Oh I'm aware of the rule now. At the time, though, I didn't see the need to start a new thread; this one was here, it wasn't locked, so I figured I'd post to it.

And I'm aware of the possibility that I'll get into trouble for replying to this thread again, but I don't see the point in starting an entirely new topic whose only purpose is to explain why I did not know about that rule, so bear with me.

Most people (including myself) just tend to breeze through the board rules, since they're usually all identical. Nearly every single other message board I frequent has a rule precisely the opposite of that one, so naturally I figured this one would be the same, but now I know different and I shall act accordingly in the future.