DragonBall GT Ending Analysis Tidbit

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

DragonBall GT Ending Analysis Tidbit

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Heya:

Been a long time since I worked on anything like this, but it's something I've been piecing together for a while (and a podcast episode actually did the work for me!), so I figured it would be pretty easy to get out there.

http://www.daizex.com/general/tidbits/dbgt_ending.shtml

I took everyone's responses to the podcast episode into consideration, along with what Meri and Julian brought up during the show, itself. Any holes anyone else wants to poke into anything? Any other last-minute suggestions? Any wording that doesn't make any sense? I've read it all over so many times, it's all just gibberish to me, now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: DragonBall GT Ending Analysis Tidbit

Post by Herms » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:20 pm

There seem to be a few words left out here:
Hopefully this does not cause you [to] think any one thing for sure, but rather opens up a couple [of?] other avenues for you to reach your own conclusion.
Though I guess it still sounds OK without the "of".
However, there is a good deal of evidence to the contrary that Goku has already died.
I think "that Goku has already died" should probably be removed; at best it's unneeded, and at worst an inattentive reader might read it as "on the contrary, Goku has already died".
It could be that dead bodies that remain on Earth simply do not get a halo (they only showcase this in the afterlife),
We actually see with grandpa Gohan and Goku in the Buu arc that dead characters do indeed have halos in the living world. Unless you meant that they might need to first go to the afterlife to get halos.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm

The appearing and disappearing of halos seems to be pretty immediate and efficient, as far as I remember. Goku and Vegeta's halos disappeared as soon as they were wished back to life, and Old Dai Kaio's appeared as soon as he gave Goku his life. Though both instances took place in the afterlife, so I'm not sure how that would affect it in the mortal realm.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:33 am

That's crazy you made this little section, becuase I'm not kidding you, I just watched the end of DBGT in Japanese for the first time and was thinking "what the hell even happened to Goku?" so I think this is great.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

At the start of the page...
Hopefully this does not cause you to think any one thing for sure, but rather opens up several other avenues for you to travel down, reaching your own conclusion.
I'm sure I'm wrong, but are both verbs consistent? Maybe you can add an "it" before "opens." It just seems a bit off to me the way it is now.

...and near the end of the page...
Kuririn laughs, and he is gone. Piccolo turns around, and he is gone. Goku Jr. turns around to see the plane, and he is gone. Pan sees him across the ring, but by the time she gets over there he is gone.
I could see semicolons working just as well in place for the periods, but I don't think it really matters either way.
and it may be that wonderous sense of finality and closure
It's actually "wondrous" if Mozilla's spell-checker is working correctly.

I wasn't aware of the TV Special airing during the show's run. I always assumed it was released after the series ended. Nice job bringing that up as well.

Great section overall, though considering how in depth it is, I wouldn't exactly call it a "tidbit." I'd suggest that it might fit better in the Rumor Guide, but it's not like there's one straight answer to the questions brought up. I guess the Tidbits section is good for it.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the reviews, thus far. Like I noted, once you start re-re-reading your own material, it all becomes gibberish and you don't see errors anymore :P. I've cleaned up a few things here and there, and embellished a couple other points. I don't remember everything I've changed, so another couple read-throughs might be worth it. Since there's so much text to the page, I want to make sure I actually cover everything I wanted to cover...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:26 pm

I always wondered if they were trying to bring things back to Journey to the West, specificallyMonkey's quest ending and going to heaven ( but no dieing) . So I took it as Goku becoming some kind of a kami rather than the kami if you get what I mean.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Thanks for all the reviews, thus far. Like I noted, once you start re-re-reading your own material, it all becomes gibberish and you don't see errors anymore :P.
Yeah, tell me about it. Author Kit Whitfield keeps a lexicon of terms for common writing issues and what-not, and there's an entry for that kind of thing:
Eyegrease
A thin layer of which is added every time you reread your work. After a while, there's so much Eyegrease on every word that your eyes skid all over the page, taking practically nothing in.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.