"Dear Fanboys..."

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
number18
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Post by number18 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:26 am

SaiyaJedi wrote: How about, "Fan-made magazines are not a reliable information source" (with insinuation towards Pojo's and Beckett)? :)
I like that wording. However, it might lead to some dumbass being like WELL YOUR SITE IS FAN-MADE?! HOW CAN WE TRUST YOUUUUU!!!!
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:06 pm

Post by WhatTheDarn » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:51 am

Filler is just that. Filler.

Yamucha can not beat recoome a few episodes after he beat up Vegeta. There is no super-powerful fighter that is able to take out Super Perfect Cell with one kick(at least, not until the Buu saga). Filler is made for entertainment. Remember that.

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:52 am

That's a good suggestion #18. I think that we should also mention Beckett's too. :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
plusloud
Newbie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Post by plusloud » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:08 am

Mugenmidget wrote:I'm not gonna bold mine or make it too official yet, just sort of a suggestion to spur off from.

If website owners aren't experts, neither should "collectors" be. Claiming they own all the "stuff" could mean anything and hardly ever means they have any useful insight.
I like this, but I would rewrite it to something like this:

Fandom is not defined by the extent of your knowledge NOR your merchandise. You could have the complete Kanzenban set in mint condition, with the complete Planet Namek Webarchive etched into your memory. However, all of the Mutenroshi Puff-Puff Pez Dispensers in the world won't make you any "more" of a fan. Trivial knowledge is one thing. Making use of it for a better, common good is another thing, defined by most as fandom.

Those of you who knew me from #namek know damn well that I was exactly like this some four-odd years ago, and to be frank I'm kicking myself for it. I've got action figures, VHS tapes, and cinemanga up the ass. Not to mention a rather tattered-looking collection of manga. Much thanks to Mike for getting my Daizenshuu's sold, but unfortunately nothing else was successfully traded off for cash.

And yes, it's pissing me off that I can sing along to Ikenai Ooh-La-La Magic. The conversation parts.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4971
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:47 am

I thought of one like this:

Don't go whining about how DB/DBZ never should have been dubbed in the first place. Look, just because you're a selfish bastard who thinks the show never should have left Japan, doesn't mean that the rest of us don't have the right to see the show.

User avatar
Mugenmidget
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:32 pm

Kiriyama BRX wrote:
Mugenmidget wrote:I'm not gonna bold mine or make it too official yet, just sort of a suggestion to spur off from.

If website owners aren't experts, neither should "collectors" be. Claiming they own all the "stuff" could mean anything and hardly ever means they have any useful insight.
I like this, but I would rewrite it to something like this:

Fandom is not defined by the extent of your knowledge NOR your merchandise. You could have the complete Kanzenban set in mint condition, with the complete Planet Namek Webarchive etched into your memory. However, all of the Mutenroshi Puff-Puff Pez Dispensers in the world won't make you any "more" of a fan. Trivial knowledge is one thing. Making use of it for a better, common good is another thing, defined by most as fandom.

Those of you who knew me from #namek know damn well that I was exactly like this some four-odd years ago, and to be frank I'm kicking myself for it. I've got action figures, VHS tapes, and cinemanga up the ass. Not to mention a rather tattered-looking collection of manga. Much thanks to Mike for getting my Daizenshuu's sold, but unfortunately nothing else was successfully traded off for cash.

And yes, it's pissing me off that I can sing along to Ikenai Ooh-La-La Magic. The conversation parts.
Thanks for providin' the spurrin' off, pardner.

User avatar
plusloud
Newbie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

No problem.

Post by plusloud » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:00 pm

Glad to be of service. At last, experience worth doing something about - blasting, albeit, but for the better good.
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

User avatar
PsyLiam
I Live Here
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:49 pm

No-one cares about your fanfic.

It may contain great character moments regarding Vegeta coming to terms with his brutal past. It may contain some gripping drama as Gohan turns on Goku for neglecting him during his teenage years. It may contain Pan turning Super Saiyan 70 billion. We don't care. No-one wants to read it. Accept it.

Related to it would be:
It doesn't matter if you say "yeah, I know most fanfics are bad, but mine is different", it's not.

(Okay, I know that's not strictly what you were going for. Howsabout:
The Daizenshuu are not always right. Accept it.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4971
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:25 pm

PsyLiam wrote: (Okay, I know that's not strictly what you were going for. Howsabout:
The Daizenshuu are not always right. Accept it.
You hit the nail right on the head my friend. Very much.

User avatar
laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by laserkid » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:19 am

"Dubbies" Vs "Subbies" arguments are retarded
Regardless of how you came into the Dragonball fandom, or choose to view it it does NOT make you a greater or lesser fan. Everyone has diffrent preffrences and not EVERYONE has acess to fansub distros on their block. Thinking less of someone because they got into Dragonball through the english translation is both elitist and retarded.

Dragon Ball's Age is irrelevant

Just because Dragon Ball is older than DBZ does NOT make it not worth seeing, and in fact gives many key origins and backgrounds for the cast in DBZ, hating on the older series because its age is a foolish mistake.[/b]
-Laserkid

User avatar
SDHero
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:23 am
Contact:

Post by SDHero » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:15 am

Stop Invoking Akira Toriyama.
Seriously, the man doesn't care AT ALL what the English dub sounds like, or that they changed Mr. Satan's name to H.ercule. If you're talking about the anime series, he had almost no involvement with it whatsoever. The manga he might be concerned about, but not really, since only minor changes have been made to it, the allowances for which are included in whatever contract he signed. So, the idea that "Akira Toriyama would be SO upset if he knew that..." is completely wrong.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

parron
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: USA

Post by parron » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:06 pm

PsyLiam wrote:No-one cares about your fanfic.

It may contain great character moments regarding Vegeta coming to terms with his brutal past. It may contain some gripping drama as Gohan turns on Goku for neglecting him during his teenage years. It may contain Pan turning Super Saiyan 70 billion. We don't care. No-one wants to read it. Accept it.

I'd like to point out, quickly, that over 10,000 authors at ff.net (at least!) -- the writers of somewhere around 29,000 stories *specifically* about DBZ -- would beg to differ.

I'm not here to say that all fanfic is wonderful, but I *am* here to say that you're on the verge of *really* pissing me off. Not liking fanfic is *fine*, but shut up about it as you obviously know nothing about it. Please.

And I'm very sorry if I'm coming off as bitchy, but there are few things that really push my buttons more then L33tist comments like that one.

User avatar
laserkid
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by laserkid » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:23 pm

I think the idea behind that one is that iots really annoying when someone randomly talks about how their fanfic answres a question at hand or jsut puts it out there, no one cares outside of the fanfiction community.

Fanfics are fun yes, but most people in the DBZ community dont miuch appreciate hearing about someones fanfic outside of its place (a fanfic board).
-Laserkid

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:59 pm

parron wrote:I'd like to point out, quickly, that over 10,000 authors at ff.net (at least!) -- the writers of somewhere around 29,000 stories *specifically* about DBZ -- would beg to differ.

I'm not here to say that all fanfic is wonderful, but I *am* here to say that you're on the verge of *really* pissing me off. Not liking fanfic is *fine*, but shut up about it as you obviously know nothing about it. Please.

And I'm very sorry if I'm coming off as bitchy, but there are few things that really push my buttons more then L33tist comments like that one.
Here's the question, though... is it that people really do want to read what you wrote... or is it that the WRITERS want OTHER people to read what THEY wrote? ^_~

I'm sure it's very easy to answer both ways on that ^^.

Also, yeah, that's why I didn't include it on the actual page. There is an outlet for fanfics, whether or not we/I/you like them or not. Generally speaking, we are talking about the "Read my self-insertion SSJ12 Broli fanfic!" type of things, though... no-one wants to read that shit.

Regardless, the whole point of "Dear Fanboys..." is to intentionally piss off some people by making them realize they're not the center of the universe/fandom. If someone gets upset at a comment they read, it's probably meant for them, and the job has been done. At the same time, we're not out to personally single-out someone and point fingers, so let's keep that in mind when suggesting things. It's a fine line to walk, but it can (and should) be done.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Mirai no Beederu
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Florida...maybe
Contact:

Post by Mirai no Beederu » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:03 pm

Just because someone is a girl does NOT mean they can't enjoy Dragonball.

Pan never goes Super Saiyan. Just because someone has a picture taken from the opening credits of GT of Pan with badly added-in blonde hair doesn't mean it happened.

It doesn't matter how much you think GT sucks. Toei is never going to just remake it because you say they should.

Eh, that's all I can think of for now.
Hello, DaizenshuuEX-type people!:)

User avatar
PsyLiam
I Live Here
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:17 pm

I wasn't trying to be 733t1st. I was referring to the same thing VegettoEX bought up:
VegettoEX wrote:Generally speaking, we are talking about the "Read my self-insertion SSJ12 Broli fanfic!" type of things, though... no-one wants to read that shit.
If there is one thing almost as bad as "self insertion SSJ12 Broli fanfics", it's the "my fanfic is different from all those fanfics, as it treats the DBZ universe properly", because they tend to be equally dire, but with authors who are under the delusion that they've written masterpieces. Which reminds me of another one I'd add if this section was called "Dear fanfic writers", and that's

"Putting a quote from a song at the beginning of every chapter does not make you a fantastic and mature author"

But it's not, so let's leave that for now. Although I will say that using ff.net to defend your POV isn't going to impress anyone who's ever been to that place.

Ooh, I got one:

Writing "Bejita", "Gokou", "Piccoro", or "Seru" does not make you "733t" or "hardcore". It makes you an idiot.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

User avatar
Magica
Regular
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:29 pm
Location: WA

Post by Magica » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:36 pm

It's not my best, but...

Just because it's a doujinshi doesn't mean that it's an official comic

Really. Tell the difference. Just because you saw Taanipu in a doujinshi comic doesn't mean that she's really Bardock's mate in the series. Just because you read a comic that Goku and Vegeta were brothers doesn't mean they're brothers. Etc.

For the love of Kami stop the Goku/Vegeta yaoi pairings

It's becoming a huge and annoying cliche. Stop it. Also stop the Vegeta/Radditz, Goku/Tares, Buu/Satan (Hercule), etc pairings.

User avatar
Deus ex Machina
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1917
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:47 am

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:15 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Writing "Bejita", "Goku", "Piccoro", or "Cell" does not make you "733t" or "hardcore". It makes you an idiot.
Already covered.

I think you should go ahead and write your own "Dear Fanfic writers" Psy, I bet you have plenty of helpful advice. :lol:

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:29 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Writing "Bejita", "Goku", "Piccoro", or "Cell" does not make you "733t" or "hardcore". It makes you an idiot.
Haha, my word censors have caught you :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

parron
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: USA

Post by parron » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Here's the question, though... is it that people really do want to read what you wrote... or is it that the WRITERS want OTHER people to read what THEY wrote? ^_~

I'm sure it's very easy to answer both ways on that ^^.

Incredibly, as you'll see both stories that say "Review or I won't update!" and stories with 1,000+ reviews without even whoring for readers...
VegettoEX wrote: Regardless, the whole point of "Dear Fanboys..." is to intentionally piss off some people by making them realize they're not the center of the universe/fandom. If someone gets upset at a comment they read, it's probably meant for them, and the job has been done. At the same time, we're not out to personally single-out someone and point fingers, so let's keep that in mind when suggesting things. It's a fine line to walk, but it can (and should) be done.

I realize this, but I was just very upset at the wording -- I read the comment as "fanfiction sucks by default, especially because I say so." This is something that just plain pisses me off under any circumstance, not only because some fanfic is just plain as good as the source material, but also because no one *tries* to write badly -- people pour their freaking *souls* into what they write (myself included, really), and it's not just stepping on toes when you say that you'll suck by default, y'know? I'm not trying to act out the "fanboy" (well, fangirl) you're making fun of here, but as you said -- it's a fine line, and that comment would have alienated a good 2/3rds of the DBZ fans out there.

There *is* plenty of bad fanfic out there, though, I'm the first to admit it and whine about it. Just don't insult us as a whole, because generally we *are* smart people that can write and know our way around DBZ as well as you guys do.

>___>;;; Yes, I do ramble on, don't I?

Locked