Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
Her name comes from "lychee", which can be ライチ (raichi) or ライチー (raichii), just swapping the syllables around. You can decide to write her name in various manners, depending on if you care more about the pun, the pronounciation, etc.

Image

man thats a puberty challenge me in itself

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
Doctor. wrote: G-A-R-B-A-G-E is how I usually do it.
Here's your bag of attention.
make that 2: electric boogaloo

User avatar
Koitsukai
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:13 am

Boy, I loved this movie, I'm watching it again soon. I just loved the animation, the retelling of one of the most laziest written characters of the franchise, I loved how they didn't screw up Bardock's story. The humour too, and the new characters. Just yesterday I watched the original Broly movie and damn did that suck, it is so nice to actually see something more from Broly, a real character.

I wish we got more from the Beerus-Freeza-planet Vegeta exploding but oh well, we did get a cool fight

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12975
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:02 am

Doctor. wrote:Always free for more hot takes, lads.
Care to share why you don't like her very much...or have you said that numerous times? I haven't watched the thread too much so I don't know if you had to repeat yourself yet. She kinda gets on my nerves too, but I'd like to hear why along with "Bold and Brash" she belongs "In the Trash."
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
mute_proxy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Care to share why you don't like her very much...or have you said that numerous times? I haven't watched the thread too much so I don't know if you had to repeat yourself yet. She kinda gets on my nerves too, but I'd like to hear why along with "Bold and Brash" she belongs "In the Trash."
He hates the movie in general and he's very keen on remind us every now and then.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12975
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:08 am

mute_proxy wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Care to share why you don't like her very much...or have you said that numerous times? I haven't watched the thread too much so I don't know if you had to repeat yourself yet. She kinda gets on my nerves too, but I'd like to hear why along with "Bold and Brash" she belongs "In the Trash."
He hates the movie in general and he's very keen on remind us every now and then.
Doctor is not just some blind poster. He has and can put out a long essay even on his personal thoughts if he so chooses. He has done so many times. He already gave his full concise take on Broly and Paragus, so I'm interested in his take in the minor characters.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 am

Just bought the tickets to see the film next week with my dad, sister, and one of my buddies. It's gonna be a thrill-ride for sure. I hope I find the new portrayal of Broly as entertaining as it sounds like I should.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2340
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 am

Koitsukai wrote:Boy, I loved this movie, I'm watching it again soon. I just loved the animation, the retelling of one of the most laziest written characters of the franchise, I loved how they didn't screw up Bardock's story. The humour too, and the new characters. Just yesterday I watched the original Broly movie and damn did that suck, it is so nice to actually see something more from Broly, a real character.

I wish we got more from the Beerus-Freeza-planet Vegeta exploding but oh well, we did get a cool fight
There will be no Classic Broly bashing. A real villain, a one line hype machine, the picture of a destructive, death loving, legendary Super Saiyan who didn't cower in the face of defeat.

VegettoEX will be visiting your inbox soon....lol no...Glad you enjoyed the movie. I hope I enjoy this new Broly too.
Shaddy wrote:Just bought the tickets to see the film next week with my dad, sister, and one of my buddies. It's gonna be a thrill-ride for sure. I hope I find the new portrayal of Broly as entertaining as it sounds like I should.
That's awesome. A Dragonball family. I hope you guys enjoy.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 am

Eh, not the whole family. My mom doesn't care much for DB. She does like Hero Academia though, we all went to that series' movie together back in September.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Always free for more hot takes, lads.
Care to share why you don't like her very much...or have you said that numerous times? I haven't watched the thread too much so I don't know if you had to repeat yourself yet. She kinda gets on my nerves too, but I'd like to hear why along with "Bold and Brash" she belongs "In the Trash."
Because she's portrayed as the voice of reason in the film even though she's in the wrong. She's the only one who connects with Broly (well, and Lemo too, but his personality isn't as annoying) and the one who sees he's just a poor boy and saves him (even Goku's attitude on Broly isn't this benevolent once he fuses into Gogeta and goes into "YEAH, KILL 'EM" mode), so she's clearly a character we're supposed to be supporting, yet she makes such reckless assumptions about Paragus and Broly's relationship (which is ironic, considering she tries to understand Broly while completely neglecting to understand his relationship with his father, which is something Broly cherishes); but that just ties in with my overall issues on Paragus' characterization in the movie. In all fairness, a character like this would have been fine, if she had developed throughout the movie, if she had realized something about her attitude was wrong and changed for the better. Instead, even at the end of the movie, she remains hostile toward Goku even though he had proven he was a friendly individual and was there to help Broly.

It's the same problem I had with Kale: a stupid, dangerous obsession with another character defines their entire role in the story even though they fundamentally misunderstand the character they're so protective of. But while Kale could at least learn that Caulifla could have fun with other people without jeopardizing their relationship, Cheelai never gets the chance to realize that Broly actually, legitimately likes his father for, presumably, legitimate reasons, since Paragus gets killed off; so she remains stagnant and annoyingly protective of Broly throughout the film. I don't really understand how anyone liked her, outside of her being a girl therefore she's waifu material, but she's not even good waifu material because she's based on a generic and annoying archetype to begin with.
mute_proxy wrote:He hates the movie in general and he's very keen on remind us every now and then.
False, I said I enjoyed the movie.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Melkaniator » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am

Doctor. wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:He hates the movie in general and he's very keen on remind us every now and then.
False, I said I enjoyed the movie.
Me too, but I'm not over hyped like most of em' thus I "hate it" as well apparently.

I like getting new female characters on DB, so as to not have it keep being too much of a sausage fest, but what I need is a warriores, not a gun user.

As for your reaction at Cheelai, it kinda feels like her opinion was meant to be a "fact" for the movie, which is weird, because like you said, there was more to Paragus, or so it seemed.

Saw it at the theater again yesterday with my dad, there was a lot of screaming there, specially when Goku was about to start fighting (poor Vegeta).

Anyway, I hope Akira can just create a new main villain for the 1st time in one of his movies.

DBH story has so much potential for a war arc where many of the heroes can take part of, but nah, let's just throw Broly's 4th movie with only Goku and Vegeta to face him.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7690
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am

Grimlock wrote: • The AGES that suddenly appears on-screen are exactly what one could expect, merely just AGES appearing on-screen. Nothing more than that. It's so random that really its only purpose is just to tell audience that time has passed. No real meaning here. But on the other hand...

• ... 41 years ago? AGE 780 - 41 = AGE 739. That means Vegeta was born in that year, which should be the year of the destruction of planet Vegeta instead. There is a five-year timeskip, so we jump to AGE 744, Dragon Ball Minus events take place. Goku was born in AGE 741 if we take Gine's words from the manga into account. Holy hell... :crazy: Maybe it's better to ignore it, but eh... That could have been avoided if the people paid more attention.
The ages that appear on screen don't even make any sense, it's amazing how they could miss such obvious details.
When it fast forwards from Goku travelling to Earth to Vegeta and Goku fighting in the present, it starts at 737 and fades out at 775 and the earliest events in the movie took place 5 years before Goku taking off, so it starts in 732(consistent with Vegeta's birthyear from way back), which is apparently 41 years ago(so 773) from the present day, though obviously that doesn't add up to 780, and not even 775.
Interestingly despite adapting Minus, they are holding to the old Age for Goku's arrival on Earth, which used to be same year he was born(737), but now with Minus, he supposedly first arrived in 739, at least with the power of math anyways.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5048
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm

dbgtFO wrote:The ages that appear on screen don't even make any sense, it's amazing how they could miss such obvious details.
That is why it is best to ignore it. Let it tells you only that time passed without actually giving you an exact date.
dbgtFO wrote:When it fast forwards from Goku travelling to Earth to Vegeta and Goku fighting in the present, it starts at 737 and fades out at 775 and the earliest events in the movie took place 5 years before Goku taking off, so it starts in 732(consistent with Vegeta's birthyear from way back), which is apparently 41 years ago(so 773) from the present day, though obviously that doesn't add up to 780, and not even 775.
Interestingly despite adapting Minus, they are holding to the old Age for Goku's arrival on Earth, which used to be same year he was born(737), but now with Minus, he supposedly first arrived in 739, at least with the power of math anyways.
The real problem lies in the "41 years ago", which should be "46 years ago". Also, due to the timeskip of five years in the flashback, Vegeta got a new year of birth, that is AGE 734. So even if they had "got it right" (in relation to the guidebook information), as per the timeskip that occurs, some stuff would change nonetheless. If you think that the movie starts in AGE 732, following the information of the guidebook, then the five-year timeskip becomes a problem. That's why it's advisable to think that Vegeta's year of birth was the only thing affected.

As for Goku's case, well, Gine says he spent three years in the incubator, which would mean he was born in AGE 736, but it is possible to think that Gine rounded it up, thus allowing AGE 737 to still be Goku's year of birth. But his arrival on Earth was certainly shifted to two years later.

User avatar
Koitsukai
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

So I was just thinking, when Ohzaru controlled Broly goes SSJ, wouldn't that be a controlled golden Ohzaru form instead of a regular SSJ??

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 pm

I don’t know if someone’s already mentioned this, but reviews for the movie are up on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1891
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Came from watching the movie (premiered yesterday in my country) and I have some complicate thoughts.

The good stuff

It's a dead horse at this point but it can't be overstated, the animation on display is huge leap in quality and complexity for the franchise, no other Dragon Ball movie have ever looked this vibrant and dynamic, with many exciting camera angles, composition and super awesome action sequences.

The movie does a fine job in giving a personallity to Broly and making him a more sympathetic character by recontextualizing some of his old character traits, adding new characterization and removing others:

His rage and violent & dangerous nature is now a byproduct of the harsh upbringing he had and being trained solely so that his father could take revenge instead of him being like that since childhood.
Broly now is an innocent soul, that despite all still has some respect and affection for his father, forced into violence by his father desire for revenge rather being borned as an uncotrollable rage machine.
His sadistic demeanour and personallity is completely gone.

Minus is given some emotional weight, an improvement over its original souless bullet point "story" that was that one extra chapter from the Jaco the Galatic Patrolman manga (I almost cry, which made go WTF, what kind of witchery was that?)

Chelye is a fun character.

The OST is fire! Norihito Sumitomo made one hell of an OST.

The mix stuff

The opening 20 minutes of the movie do a bit too many time jumps without enough foreshadowing or warning, feeling that it's skipping beats too frequently.

While the "Goku's cry made baby Broly mad" is no longer there there's still nothing in the movie connecting Goku with Broly, thematically speaking. He's just there for the action.

While Broly's new characterization is far better than his OG incarnation is a bit of a shame that for about 40 minutes (that's how long the fight last from Broly first strike to Vegeta to the last ki blast being fired) that character is being burried by his more wreaking strenght machine character. Now the movie does (slightly) build to Broly eventually turning very savage but I think they went a bit to long with that (40 minutes!!)

While 40 minutes of awesome fighting is pretty cool, it's also...perhaps a bit too much, like it needed a bit more breathing room.

The Bad Stuff

Minus is part of the movie, and no matter how much more emotion they added to that it could not change the fact that the "story" of Minus is just bad, speacilly for breaking the narrative and theme from one of the franchise best Arc.


---
At the moment I'm having a hard time scoring the movie but I can say of the four Broly movies, this one and the first belong on the good half of this (not quite) quatrillogy of Broly movies.
I am the bane of my essay.
Procrastination is my body, and caffeine is my blood.
I have ignored over a thousand deadlines.
Unknown to MLA format, nor known to passing grades.
Have withstood responsibility to fail many classes.
Yet those classes will never teach anything.
So as I hand in,

UNLIMITED ESSAY WORKS

User avatar
Noah
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7344
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 am

Well, I think I could give this movie 6/10 though it would be 7.5/10 if Broly was evil and casually yelled Kakarotto a couple of times (really missed that), I also pretend to watch on subs when is available.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7799
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am

Doctor. wrote:False, I said I enjoyed the movie.
You're already far more positive about it than I am :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Noah wrote:- Let's talk about Freeza's wish... Well it was meant to be a joke, a reference to Commander Red and people thought it was really funny on the theaters and others like me were just cringing... Okay it's funny, but it DOESN'T MAKE A F*CKIN SENSE! Freeza can shape his body the way he wants! Wanting to waste the Dragon Balls in such a nonsense wish instead of preferring immortality is just character assassination for the purpose of lulz.

It's even more ridiculous, when you remember that Beerus revealed in the Zamasu Arc, that even Gods of Destruction can't kill immortals.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Zeru14 wrote:
Noah wrote:- Let's talk about Freeza's wish... Well it was meant to be a joke, a reference to Commander Red and people thought it was really funny on the theaters and others like me were just cringing... Okay it's funny, but it DOESN'T MAKE A F*CKIN SENSE! Freeza can shape his body the way he wants! Wanting to waste the Dragon Balls in such a nonsense wish instead of preferring immortality is just character assassination for the purpose of lulz.

It's even more ridiculous, when you remember that Beerus revealed in the Zamasu Arc, that even Gods of Destruction can't kill immortals.
Don’t need to kill him when they could just as easily seal his ass
Until the Battle is Won.

- WEST POINT, 2021

Post Reply