"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm hoping this arc will have a "try everything" finale like the Boo arc. Merus must come back, I think it is very likely that Boo/the Dai Kaioshin will come back, Goku will fail, Vegeta will likely fail as well, Moro told us that Seven-three is coming back, and I think it's very plausible that Beerus and Whis will make an appearance (but not get involved). That aside, I'm hoping Jaco will be significantly involved in the victory.
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm
I still don't understand the moro's abilities .. he can absorb energy without a known limit ... unlike the androids, bergamo or yakon ok this can be coherent because it is "magic" but which then we see that Saganbo has a limit on the energy you can receive ... this mean that his limit is above the level of the gods, does anyone find this strange? :crazy:
It makes sense that Moro can handle much more energy than Saganbo since he controls the magic and is much more powerful. Still, I am somewhat confused about Moro's abilities. He can apparently absorb ki, Genki, and God ki, but is there any difference in what it gives to Moro? I don't expect an explanation, and it doesn't really matter, but I would like more on the mechanics of his power...
Michsi wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 pm
Definitely. Gohan is and always will be Piccolo student first and foremost and the same way Goku keeps wearing the uniform of the Turtle School long after he left it and surpassed his teacher (and had several others teacher afterwards ), Gohan keeps returning to Piccolo's uniform.

I always felt like Gohan going straight to Piccolo to ask for his gi right after he spent a year training with his father was a statement on Gohan's part.

Gohan asking for his father uniform in the Boo arc on the other hand seemed more based on sentimentality and a tribute to him as he thought he would never see him again.

And another thing. Piccolo and Gohan's appearance looks nothing alike, so each of them retain their own individual look , even when standing next to each other. On the flip side, Gohan kinda seems like a watered down copy of Goku when wearing his father's gi.
Very well said, and great point in bold.
The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm
but is weird to show it with her own family
Too late - the anime already showed this when it had her threatening to end 17's life during the recruitment period. Toei's writers didn't even stop at indifference, they took a pretty straightforward character trait and promptly flanderized it to 11 by regressing her to the point of being downright hostile.

You don't get to write scenes like that and then have her dramatically whine in the very same story arc because her brother chose to resurrect the destroyed universes instead of wishing for a cruise ship. That's inconsistent characterization. It's also incoherent characterization; these are not lines 18 would say, and largely come across as if they were written by someone with zero understanding of Toriyama's sensibilities.

They couldn't even decide what her relationship with 17 was supposed to be. It's absolutely OOC.
With that line, I feel like they were going for what the manga accomplished (that they're the grown up versions of punks), but it was far too extreme and didn't fit the tone of the scene.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm

batistabus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm
I still don't understand the moro's abilities .. he can absorb energy without a known limit ... unlike the androids, bergamo or yakon ok this can be coherent because it is "magic" but which then we see that Saganbo has a limit on the energy you can receive ... this mean that his limit is above the level of the gods, does anyone find this strange? :crazy:
It makes sense that Moro can handle much more energy than Saganbo since he controls the magic and is much more powerful. Still, I am somewhat confused about Moro's abilities. He can apparently absorb ki, Genki, and God ki, but is there any difference in what it gives to Moro? I don't expect an explanation, and it doesn't really matter, but I would like more on the mechanics of his power...
in fact that interests me ... maybe they can explain it with their android subordinate

User avatar
Jmass97
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jmass97 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm
I still don't understand the moro's abilities .. he can absorb energy without a known limit ... unlike the androids, bergamo or yakon ok this can be coherent because it is "magic" but which then we see that Saganbo has a limit on the energy you can receive ... this mean that his limit is above the level of the gods, does anyone find this strange? :crazy:
Moro’s just a beast lol and it goes to show how much of a threat he originally was when in his prime. We also still have no idea about the depths of his abilities. They have so much opportunity to give him even more cool abilities and I hope that they don’t drop the ball with him.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm

The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm
but is weird to show it with her own family
Too late - the anime already showed this when it had her threatening to end 17's life during the recruitment period. Toei's writers didn't even stop at indifference, they took a pretty straightforward character trait and promptly flanderized it to 11 by regressing her to the point of being downright hostile.

You don't get to write scenes like that and then have her dramatically whine in the very same story arc because her brother chose to resurrect the destroyed universes instead of wishing for a cruise ship. That's inconsistent characterization. It's also incoherent characterization; these are not lines 18 would say, and largely come across as if they were written by someone with zero understanding of Toriyama's sensibilities.

They couldn't even decide what her relationship with 17 was supposed to be. It's absolutely OOC.
lol that's a "joke" threat .. it doesn't pretend to be anything more than that .... there is no point in using it as an argument it's like I told you that in the manga they ruined vegeta's personality when bulma forced him to change her diapers to bra

she cared about what happened to her brother she even worried when she believed him dead ...in the anime but it is clear that she does not care about other people outside her family and how that is different than18 only cares about money in the manga current ?
in manga 18 she didn't even care about her brother when he supposedly died ... does she care about her husband or daughter? It seems that I would not have learned anything from living 7 years in family

User avatar
The Undying
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
lol that's a "joke" threat .. it doesn't pretend to be anything more than that
Poor argument.

The tone of their interaction doesn't imply it's a joke. That close-up shot of 18 glaring intently at 17 while threatening him doesn't imply it's a joke. Kuririn desperately trying to make the situation less tense doesn't imply it's a joke.

The scene itself was obviously trying to be comedic, but that was all because of the tension between the siblings and Kuririn's resulting awkwardness.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter if she seriously intended to injure 17; this kind of dialogue isn't congruent with virtually any of their interactions in the Tournament of Power. Toei doesn't know how to handle 17 or 18 as characters because they're abundantly incapable of just portraying them as stoic punks, as they were clearly intended to be, without resorting to unnecessary extremes in either direction.
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
in manga 18 she didn't even care about her brother when he supposedly died ...
Even worse argument.

When 17 explained how he faked his self-destruction, 18 told 17 he was a bad actor. That right there tells you she called his bluff from the start.

Please pay attention to what you're reading so I don't have to address whataboutisms like this. A quick skim through the chapters on Viz's official site works wonders. If you have resources, use them, because ain't nobody got time for that.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20768
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 pm

The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
lol that's a "joke" threat .. it doesn't pretend to be anything more than that
Poor argument.

The tone of their interaction doesn't imply it's a joke. That close-up shot of 18 glaring intently at 17 while threatening him doesn't imply it's a joke. Kuririn desperately trying to make the situation less tense doesn't imply it's a joke.

The scene itself was obviously trying to be comedic, but that was all because of the tension between the siblings and Kuririn's resulting awkwardness.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter if she seriously intended to injure 17; this kind of dialogue isn't congruent with virtually any of their interactions in the Tournament of Power. Toei doesn't know how to handle 17 or 18 as characters because they're abundantly incapable of just portraying them as stoic punks, as they were clearly intended be, without resorting to unnecessary extremes in either direction.
Anyone who has has sibling knows you never take the whole "I'll kill you" threat seriously. It's 99.99999% an empty threat, and not something you ever look deep into.

Believe me, as someone who has three sisters (two older than me and one younger than me), who have all on several occasions threatened to kill me for saying and/or doing stupid shit, I never taken that kind of stuff seriously or seen it as out of character, because you're not supposed to.

The whole meeting with #17, #18, Marron and Kirllin was just cringe comedy more based meta reference to a filler character.

User avatar
The Undying
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 pm
Anyone who has has sibling knows you never take the whole "I'll kill you" threat seriously.
I have a sibling. The point wasn't whether 17 should take it seriously, the point was that 18's dialogue to 17 in the anime occupies a range anywhere from "downright hostile" to "needlessly sappy", and often for no reason besides melodrama or forced meta humor.

We didn't need the scene with 18 mentioning the cruise ship. We didn't need her to threaten 17. We're not talking about super emotional average joes here.

I favor their relationship in the manga because it feels like natural character writing. I have a firm distaste for their relationship in the anime because it's so often to the detriment of their actual behavior that it takes me out of the story. It's no more complicated than that.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20768
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:13 am

The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 pm
Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 pm
Anyone who has has sibling knows you never take the whole "I'll kill you" threat seriously.
I have a sibling. The point wasn't whether 17 should take it seriously, the point was that 18's dialogue to 17 in the anime occupies a range anywhere from "downright hostile" to "needlessly sappy", and often for little to no reason at all.

We didn't need the scene with 18 mentioning the cruise ship. We didn't need her to threaten 17.

I favor their relationship in the manga because it feels like natural character writing. I have a firm distaste for their relationship in the anime because it's so often to the detriment of their actual behavior that it takes me out of the story. It's no more complicated than that.
I never found any the dialogue between #18 and #17 to range from "downright hostile" to "needlessly sappy". Hell, I found their interactions to be some of the most grounded we've seen in Dragon Ball in long time. It struck the right balance of combing #17's dry wit and #18's stoic and tough attitude while displaying genuine care for one another.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 am

The Undying wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
lol that's a "joke" threat .. it doesn't pretend to be anything more than that
Poor argument.

The tone of their interaction doesn't imply it's a joke. That close-up shot of 18 glaring intently at 17 while threatening him doesn't imply it's a joke. Kuririn desperately trying to make the situation less tense doesn't imply it's a joke.

The scene itself was obviously trying to be comedic, but that was all because of the tension between the siblings and Kuririn's resulting awkwardness.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter if she seriously intended to injure 17; this kind of dialogue isn't congruent with virtually any of their interactions in the Tournament of Power. Toei doesn't know how to handle 17 or 18 as characters because they're abundantly incapable of just portraying them as stoic punks, as they were clearly intended to be, without resorting to unnecessary extremes in either direction.
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm
in manga 18 she didn't even care about her brother when he supposedly died ...
Even worse argument.

When 17 explained how he faked his self-destruction, 18 told 17 he was a bad actor. That right there tells you she called his bluff from the start.

Please pay attention to what you're reading so I don't have to address whataboutisms like this. A quick skim through the chapters on Viz's official site works wonders. If you have resources, use them, because ain't nobody got time for that.

it is not ... you are telling me that among siblings is not common to say "that" ... you are trying to get something that is not there ... the point is basically it is a gag to be reference to brown as comedy and it is consistent. .. because between brothers they saying "that" when one bothers another but in another situation of danger is totally different they worry about each other ....it seems you had no brothers

it is not necessary .. because at no time is that said ... everyone believes the false sacrifice until krillin, who made the wish then nothing tells me that 18 is the only one who realized if also daishinkan believes it, this evidences bad writing

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am

The manga portrayal of the Artificial Humans is just way more interesting and consistent to me. After Cell, the siblings didn't hang out much. They're not super affectionate, but they understand each other. They don't have to be tied at the hip; that's more like how the evil future Artificial Humans behaved. You have No.17 making a point to thank Kuririn for removing his bomb (and we know how much it meant to No.18). The emphasis is kept on No.17 "regaining his humanity" (with other major points being his new family and, of course, his wish). And he actually wins the ToP with strategy instead of being a mostly ineffectual range fighter.

No.18 is mostly used for jokes, which I liked especially because of Toriyama's heavy involvement. Her personality is more generic in the anime, and I feel like she loses a bit of what makes the Artificial Humans unique and appealing.

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 am

batistabus wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 pm
I'm hoping this arc will have a "try everything" finale like the Boo arc. Merus must come back, I think it is very likely that Boo/the Dai Kaioshin will come back, Goku will fail, Vegeta will likely fail as well, Moro told us that Seven-three is coming back, and I think it's very plausible that Beerus and Whis will make an appearance (but not get involved). That aside, I'm hoping Jaco will be significantly involved in the victory.
I really get this feeling! That it's going to be an all night fight party; everyone's invited, due to the the monitors Bulma brought. lol.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
The Undying
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:20 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 am
it is not ... you are telling me that among siblings is not common to say "that" ... you are trying to get something that is not there ...
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 am
it seems you had no brothers
Wow.

Look, I'm not even going to humor why it isn't remotely common for siblings - adult siblings - to threaten each other's lives with serious glares (regardless of whether they intend to actually kill each other) because one of them mispronounced a name. That's an irresponsible rejection of how reality typically works.

This isn't normal behavior. This isn't common. This isn't "grounded".

As batistabus appropriately mentioned above, the writers were primarily aiming for what the manga does with their colder, more emotionally detached interactions. It utterly failed to stick the landing because it took those traits and exaggerated them to an obscene degree, used another one of Toei's trite (and frankly shitty) "referential" gags to do it, didn't feel like a natural conversation, and directly conflicted with how they treated each other later on.

You accusing me of not having siblings because we don't express intent to harm each other as adults in casual conversation is more than a little alarming. I don't know if you actually have siblings, but this is usually the part where people decide to go for family counseling. :crazy:
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 am
then nothing tells me that 18 is the only one who realized
"Nothing tells" you, except for the fact 18 explicitly told you. The dialogue told you.

18 is more familiar with 17's personality than anyone, and certainly the goddamn Grand Priest. Obviously she knew enough about him to tell him his act didn't convince her.

These aren't fully human characters, but the anime tries its best to present them as such despite even portraying that dynamic in a pretty dissonant and overcompensating manner. I don't know what else to say.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am

What I wish regarding the cyborg siblings was that Toyotaro had bothered to show some kind of reaction to their learning of #16's death. You would think that such an important detail regarding the fate of someone they befriended and tried to protect them would be at the forefront of their minds after getting back on their individual feet.

Another facet is the death of the truck driver that #18 facilitated though she wasn't directly responsible for it during her fight with Vegeta. I'm sure Vegeta must remember that "little" detail. If he's going to express remorse for his atrocities against the Namekians then why not do the same concerning this unnamed individual? It might seem trivial but it could pose as a contentious yet mutual experience with #18. You could better put #18's emotional indifference towards loss and conflict under the microscope.

User avatar
Koitsukai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 am

I don't have a problem with 18 threatening 17 over a mispronunciation, I've experienced it and seen it millions of times in real life, movies, tv, everywhere, and it was funny to see those freaks having that particular relationship too.
I don't have a problem either with 18 going hey boss man you gots to pay me in paper every now and then, that paper is for her daughter anyway, so she better keep it up.

What I do have a problem with was that weak attempt of a joke that was 18 whining about the cruise, if they were trying to make her look cool in front of her now actual universe saviour of a brother, they could've done something better, anything would've been better really. Even nothing at all.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4471
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 am

Lionel wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am
What I wish regarding the cyborg siblings was that Toyotaro had bothered to show some kind of reaction to their learning of #16's death. You would think that such an important detail regarding the fate of someone they befriended and tried to protect them would be at the forefront of their minds after getting back on their individual feet.

Another facet is the death of the truck driver that #18 facilitated though she wasn't directly responsible for it during her fight with Vegeta. I'm sure Vegeta must remember that "little" detail. If he's going to express remorse for his atrocities against the Namekians then why not do the same concerning this unnamed individual? It might seem trivial but it could pose as a contentious yet mutual experience with #18. You could better put #18's emotional indifference towards loss and conflict under the microscope.
Here's the thing though : 18 barely showed a reaction when she saw Cell absorb her brother. No grief, no anger, not even a panel to show shock. But then a little later Cell tries to use their relationship to convince her to let him absorb her as if the siblings were so close he'd expected her to agree just because her brother told her to. #18's has always been a bit odd when it comes to emotional consistency.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm

The Undying wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:20 am
Wow.

Look, I'm not even going to humor why it isn't remotely common for siblings - adult siblings - to threaten each other's lives with serious glares (regardless of whether they intend to actually kill each other) because one of them mispronounced a name. That's an irresponsible rejection of how reality typically works.

This isn't normal behavior. This isn't common. This isn't "grounded".

As batistabus appropriately mentioned above, the writers were primarily aiming for what the manga does with their colder, more emotionally detached interactions. It utterly failed to stick the landing because it took those traits and exaggerated them to an obscene degree, used another one of Toei's trite (and frankly shitty) "referential" gags to do it, didn't feel like a natural conversation, and directly conflicted with how they treated each other later on.

You accusing me of not having siblings because we don't express intent to harm each other as adults in casual conversation is more than a little alarming. I don't know if you actually have siblings, but this is usually the part where people decide to go for family counseling. :crazy:
The funny thing is that you have 2 or 3 users saying that this is something normal "because it is not said seriously" and you are the only one who uses a comic gag as an argument ...

the simpsons reflect the reality of society and family but bart and liza have been constantly threatened and still have shown that if they want
watamote manga quite popular for reflecting the reality of Japanese society, the protagonist threatens her brother to death when he does something that bothers him but both have shown love their way

I would advise you to see other series ... that is not the toyotaro manga because you have a rather selfish way of what reality is.
it can be reflected in many ways

I think it's more of a shit to have a lot of undeveloped characters and they don't show the relationship they have ... it doesn't have to be distant if both have lived a family life for 7 years ... it's not something new for them ... literally not there is progress and there is no humanization on their part in the manga, there are only 2 person that are together fight and coincidentally are siblings
The Undying wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:20 am

"Nothing tells" you, except for the fact 18 explicitly told you. The dialogue told you.

18 is more familiar with 17's personality than anyone, and certainly the goddamn Grand Priest. Obviously she knew enough about him to tell him his act didn't convince her.

These aren't fully human characters, but the anime tries its best to present them as such despite even portraying that dynamic in a pretty dissonant and overcompensating manner. I don't know what else to say.
Does she know him well? I don't know because the relationship between the two has never been shown ... that saying it 18 doesn't really tell me anything because we don't even know if it's telling the truth or not ..

again that an angel doesn't know something that a mortal does ... it doesn't make sense

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Image
Did everyone forget that Moro absorb some of Merus' energy? could that come into play during the final battle ?

User avatar
The Undying
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
The funny thing is that you have 2 or 3 users saying that this is something normal "because it is not said seriously"
Argumentum ad populum.

At least one other poster seems to have understood my overall point. Why can't you?
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
you are the only one who uses a comic gag as an argument ...
You know, it might be important to actually clarify whether you're talking about the character joking or the scene being a gag, since you seem to be conflating two completely different things and consistently flip-flopping between each one.

I'll go ahead and address both:

"It's just a joke, bro!" isn't a good argument because 18 wasn't joking. She may not have seriously intended to commit fratricide, but the tone of her (over)reaction was pretty openly aggressive. It was enough to make her husband of several years feel nervous. Her response to 17 is a hostile one; something the timing, context, and camera work are all excruciatingly clear about. That's what I'm referring to.

"It's just a gag, bro!" isn't a good argument because gags obviously needn't impede on whether characters are in-character. Also, it seems to be a common misconception that gags can't be representative of what actually happened in a given story - a notion that Dragon Ball has plainly disproven since day one of its publication. This isn't something like "Arale breaks the planet", it's just flavor text and it's everywhere in the original manga, the Super manga, and a multitude of other shonen franchises. It still happened.

Whether 18 technically meant to kill 17 is irrelevant. I don't care about technicalities. What you appear to be doing is downplaying her combative attitude with her brother in order to shift the argument and dodge my point, since my actual point is more concerned with 18's disposition rather than whatever her specific intent was. That's a strawman. Don't do that.
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
the simpsons reflect the reality of society and family but bart and liza have been constantly threatened and still have shown that if they want
Bart and Lisa are children. 17 and 18 are grown ass adults.

I really shouldn't have to explain the difference.
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
there is no humanization on their part in the manga
They have a mutual understanding, but they're not attached at the hip. That's the extent of their "humanization".

Exactly as it should be: 17 and 18 are cyborgs, not humans. They were never portrayed as humans, so it doesn't make sense to give them exceedingly more human characteristics than they've been shown to exhibit for the better part of two story arcs. That's completely antithetical to how Toriyama intended them to stand out from the rest of the cast. They're dry, cold, sometimes callous, and often emotionally aloof. They're just not overly affectionate people.

If you want "humanization", you have a large variety of other characters in Dragon Ball to regularly fulfill that role. Most of them do, in fact. You don't need to demand homogeneity out of the cast because you're not personally satisfied with artificial humans acting like artificial humans.
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
Does she know him well?
Tai Lung wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm
again that an angel doesn't know something that a mortal does ... it doesn't make sense
Again, pay attention to what you're reading. Use your resources if you have them. This should take all of 20 minutes to look up at most.

The original manga already establishes Lapis's and Lazuli's familiarity with each other, being twins. The Super manga already establishes that Angels aren't omniscient. Individual chapters aren't going to spell out every little detail about every character in every scene; narratives don't work that way, and gleaning full context about anything often requires prior knowledge and inference. It's a story, not a database.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 pm

I think this one interaction is being looked into just a bit too much. I think that the scene is very clearly set up as a joke, both tonally and in-universe. Just look at the rest of the scene. The rapid shot-reverse-shot of 17 and 18's terse introductions sets up their bizarrely stilted way of communicating.18's overly threatening glare and "death threat" is purposefully exaggerated for comic effect, especially with the meta context about Maron that's been mentioned, and 17 does not take it seriously. He literally smiles and says "Ooooh, scary". It really is harmless sibling banter, testing if they still have the same boundaries or lack thereof. Then of course there's 17's terrible joke to Marron. The point is that Krillin still doesn't quite get their unique connection and so feels the need to act as a mediator, but both Jinzos point out that it's awkward and unnecessary.

What exactly is the point of contention here? That it's out-of-character?

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:56 pm

Maybe I missed this part of the discussion earlier on, but No. 18 isn't just mad because her daughter's name was mispronounced. She got mad because No.17 pronounced Marron (マーロン) as Maron (マロン)...as in Kuririn's ex-girlfriend from DBZ anime filler. In other words, No.18 is acting jealous. The pronunciation difference probably would've been more obvious to Japanese fans.

Does anyone know of any other moments where the DBS anime refers to anime filler? As far as I know, the DBS manga only refers to it when Goku mentions Mt. Paozu.
Noitsnothim wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm
Did everyone forget that Moro absorb some of Merus' energy? could that come into play during the final battle ?
It's not certain that Merus is getting his energy absorbed on that page, but it's possible. Either way, I'm very interested to see how Moro's ability holds up when faced against the power of angels (Migatte no Gokui).

Post Reply