"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:55 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:22 am
Interesting. I got Goku Black introduction vibes (anime) while reading these panels. The haste at which Granolah is in to return to his lab (?) and retrieve his work, while he is being hunted by a monstrous enemy in the dark, with all this death and destruction spread around him. Can't wait!

Now, do I hope we will get more on his race other than it's name? Yes, but chances are, given his titular title as 'the survivor' his race is gone and he will probably won't say much about it (who knows, maybe we get a whole chapter as a backstory to how his race had any connections with the Cold Force/Freeza Force (perhaps of scientific nature, if he isn't the only genius in his race?) and how they may have betrayed their overlords, leading a Saiyan division (with Bardock in charge?) to destroy them and their tech before they pose an actual threat.

This would make Granolah a full-on enemy I suppose but unlike with say, Broly, he should probably go after Freeza if that's indeed the case.
I don't know about the Freeza thing... they really have to do something interesting for it to be compelling, because Freeza was already killed once and how did that go... This Star Wars line perfectly sums up Dragon Ball: ''No one is ever really gone''.
So just revenge on Freeza again... might be interesting if Freeza was somehow paired up again with the main characters because he has to, against something or for some reason.
I genuinely don't know why Freeza is around then (except from merch). Unless he introduces Cooler, or some foe of his and his only, resulting in the alliance you speak of (an alliance where Freeza is in need of the Saiyans, contrasting the ToP) then he may as well be a forgotten character. Although it does seem like his story with Broly hasn't ended yet, so that may be the reason he is around.
P O W E R

sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 am
I prefer the MODERN!

Not the ancient and primitive..

I prefer the stylish, the elegant, the divine, and the slim and skinny versions over their opposites!

I prefer the feminine.. over the masculine..! (in this specific case at least!)

No body hair > yes body hair.

No tail, more human-like > yes tail, more animalistic.

Goku Black, Zamasu, and the Angels are the perfect examples of what I’m looking for! As are SSJ God Goku and UI Goku!
People love SSJ4 for having very unique design which makes you respect it by just looking at it. They also love a fact it makes so much sense for such form to exist and be peak of saiyan natural evolution. I say natural, because honestly god forms are completely random and out of ass with no place in lore until they decided to include them. Basically appeared out of nowhere and make no sense to be related to saiyans in any way, except for UI that is which can be learned by anyone. You don't really feel much respect looking at DBS forms on their own, when SSJ4 doesn't really need to do anything special to be respected, it can even fight some silly dragons, but its look and personality is what make people adore it. That's a real divine look if you ask me. I don't really get how looking weaker = looking divine? Because that's what you basically said.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having different opinion just like there is nothing wrong with having a bit higher expectations than making Goku's hair blue and calling that a form or making his outfit black and calling that a character. Especially after so many years since last DB series ended unti revival. The first SSJ God is fine, but recoloring SSJ hair to blue and pink was real abomination if you ask me, especially the latter. And speaking of UI, i've found Omen version to be much better than the compelte one which looks ugly imo. Omen looked ok.

If such original form as SSJ4 is "outdated" and recolors are what everyone does now then those are pretty dark times.
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:55 am
I genuinely don't know why Freeza is around then (except from merch). Unless he introduces Cooler, or some foe of his and his only, resulting in the alliance you speak of (an alliance where Freeza is in need of the Saiyans, contrasting the ToP) then he may as well be a forgotten character. Although it does seem like his story with Broly hasn't ended yet, so that may be the reason he is around.
Not hard to tell they do not really know what to do with Frieza at this point. If they really, really had to bring him back in RoF, then he should stay dead forever after that arc. Or at least return to hell after ToP.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 am

Anticipating (and, to be honest, hoping) that if Freeza has a role this arc--which seems all but guaranteed by the dialogue in these pages and Granolah's motivations--it will be another reluctant team-up.

The likelihood of Broly appearing also seems quite high, and I'm excited to see both or either of them as characters with new/unexplored roles. DB should continue to commit to growing and evolving its cast.

I'm unconvinced the Bardock-scar-bearing giant ape is anything but a cameo.

Super Saiyan Blue, and all its many variations, had an impressively long tenure as the premier transformation, with a total of seven storylines (four serialized arcs).

TheSaiyanGod
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 am
People love SSJ4 for having very unique design which makes you respect it by just looking at it. They also love a fact it makes so much sense for such form to exist and be peak of saiyan natural evolution. I say natural, because honestly god forms are completely random and out of ass with no place in lore until they decided to include them. Basically appeared out of nowhere and make no sense to be related to saiyans in any way, except for UI that is which can be learned by anyone. You don't really feel much respect looking at DBS forms on their own, when SSJ4 doesn't really need to do anything special to be respected, it can even fight some silly dragons, but its look and personality is what make people adore it. That's a real divine look if you ask me. I don't really get how looking weaker = looking divine? Because that's what you basically said.
The Oozarus are outdated since the Saiyan saga, they are not supposed to be the peak of the Saiyan's evolution, the same goes for tails that according to Toriyama himself are not even useful once a Saiyan reaches a certain level of power. I understand why people like SSJ4, but it is clear that the series distanced itself from any concept similar to that a long time ago.

And yes, Super Saiyan Blue makes sense, considering that the concept of the form is very easy to understand. Goku / Vegeta use the power of the regular Super Saiyan after touching the power of the Super Saiyan God, that's it. There was no hint about it before but it makes sense that this is a form achieved through training, only after the Saiyan duo mastered the God Ki presented in RoF

Matches Malone
I Live Here

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:42 am

One thing I like about the set up is that it seems to be setting up an actual relationship between Goku and Granolla, something he and Moro severely lacked. I also like how instead of bringing Bardock back to life, Toyotaro is doing the smart thing by telling a new story about him through flashbacks to the past.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am

Is there a pun/variation in the Japanese name for Cereals? I find them literally called Cereals to be quite dumb.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 am

Getting some Baby arc vibes which is by far the best GT arc. I really want Freeza and Broly to be involved in this one.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:53 am

Draconic wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am
Is there a pun/variation in the Japanese name for Cereals? I find them literally called Cereals to be quite dumb.
No, it's directly just cereal-jin. At least Granolah and Oatmeel's names were both modified by turning a long vowel sound into a short vowel sound, but there's no modification at all with Granolah's species name.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 73 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link (Currently on hiatus. Not permanently, though, I promise!)
Another project is coming soon-ish... (4/6)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 am

With a name like that, the "Cereal species" deserved to be exterminated, I'm sorry haha.
My form is justice. And my form is the world. Worship me. Give praise unto me. Me, the beautiful, the sublime. Me, the invincible, the almighty and divine. All Hail Zamasu!

OrangeBanana

Post by OrangeBanana » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am

I could see SSJ4 being introduced for Vegeta as a form which has a superior strength to Blue and even has a pseudo Ultra Instinct attached to it where his reflexes and senses are raised to such a degree he become equal to MUI, sounds dumb I know.
Concerning Granola I reckon he will get pissed when he finds out both Frieza and the saiyans are still alive, wanting revenge he somehow extracts the power from within 73 and puts it into himself making him a formidable opponent.

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 am

I have absolutely no interest in Freeza or Broly’s involvement in this arc but that being said Freeza at least I would say is probably definitely going to be involved so I just have to accept that. Ah well!

Matches Malone
I Live Here

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am

Kinokima wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 am
I have absolutely no interest in Freeza or Broly’s involvement in this arc but that being said Freeza at least I would say is probably definitely going to be involved so I just have to accept that. Ah well!
I don't really see how Broly could be involved, but I can see Freeza manipulating everyone to his advantage.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am

They're going to make Baby canon, aren't they?

Hopefully they revamp his character a bit like Broly.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am

precita wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am
They're going to make Baby canon, aren't they?

Hopefully they revamp his character a bit like Broly.
Absolutely nothing hints towards that...but at the same time we know too little... :think:
P O W E R

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am
Kinokima wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:35 am
I don't really see how Broly could be involved, but I can see Freeza manipulating everyone to his advantage.

I just mentioned Broly because other people have mentioned him. I think he’s less likely than Freeza but since he is a Saiyan that’s still alive and if they want to add him for fan service purposes I could possibly see it

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:16 am
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 am
I prefer the MODERN!

Not the ancient and primitive..

I prefer the stylish, the elegant, the divine, and the slim and skinny versions over their opposites!

I prefer the feminine.. over the masculine..! (in this specific case at least!)

No body hair > yes body hair.

No tail, more human-like > yes tail, more animalistic.

Goku Black, Zamasu, and the Angels are the perfect examples of what I’m looking for! As are SSJ God Goku and UI Goku!
THANK

YOU!

The Gods are elegant, divine, and beautiful. Very clearly a literal monkey man isn't elegant, divine, nor beautiful. So it makes 0 sense for a God transformation to have all this needless fur, tails, unkept hair, etc.

This is the image of elegant, divine, and beautiful:
Not a fucking half-naked animal like SS4.

Some people complain that "God forms are just recolours", but that is EXACTLY THE POINT. It's meant to be clean, so it's "just" a recolour. That's the point lol. It wouldn't be clean if it added a layer of fur, 10 tails, no eyebrows, weird hair, etc. would it?

It's not a secret that simplicity is more elegant than 20 different elements splattered all over something.
I am a fan of the Godly forms too!

They are simply amazing visually!

OrangeBanana

Post by OrangeBanana » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am

Does 73 still have access to Moro's abilities? because if so I feel like that will play some vital part in the story.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:18 pm

OrangeBanana wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am
Does 73 still have access to Moro's abilities? because if so I feel like that will play some vital part in the story.
I truly hope not!

Enough of Moro.

Jinto

Post by Jinto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm

I'm surprised that Frieza is keeping quiet about his revival although we already saw his army conquering a planet in the Broly movie :think:

Kinokima
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Jinto wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm
I'm surprised that Frieza is keeping quiet about his revival although we already saw his army conquering a planet in the Broly movie :think:
Well I assume Granola has been asleep for some time

Also I can maybe see him not knowing about Goku but if he was aware of Frieza being killed wouldn’t he have been aware there were some Saiyans alive in Frieza’s army

Some of the information he has and doesn’t have seems strange to me

I assume Oatmeal may be relying some info to Granola and I guess Oatmeal’s intelligence is incomplete to say the least