In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2821
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 am

Saturnine wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 am
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:11 am
You can discuss whatever you want and power-scaling and power levels debates are not shunned in any way, look at the Strength and Versus threads in this forum which are very big megathreads.

However, when judging a character, I don't give any relevance to power levels. To me, a character's most important aspects are their design, personality, ideology, and abilities. Not where they rank in an arbitrary power-scale.

For example, Moro is pretty strong, he even merges with an Angel's power, but because he has a trash design, a trash personality, and laughable motivations, I hate him.
Dunno about that "trash design ", really. He decinitely breaks the mold, at least the pre Seven-Three merger form. Toei on their own have shown to be practically incapable of devising a character that wouldn't borrow from designs previously made by Toriyama, so Moro's facial structure at the very least was refreshing.
All I'm going to say is that I've already seen more fanarts of Granolah than Moro.
And yet you still have the desire to fight me, don't you? Go ahead and challenge me all you like until you realize your own sheer impotence.

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 am
All I'm going to say is that I've already seen more fanarts of Granolah than Moro.
'Amount of fanart' is a bad way to measure how well a character was designed. Fans are pretty stupid and rarely gravitate towards a character because he's well designed. Usually a fanartist is looking for 1) how easy it is to lewd up the character, 2) how well they slot in to some obsession the fandom's developed, and 3) how angsty they are. (heck, you can apply this to fan creations as a whole. There's a reason Zangya keeps showing up in fanart and fanfiction and it's not because she's the best designed of Bojack's minions)

Just look at the U6 Saiyans. Mountains of fanart despite boring designs because they trigger the fandom's obsession with Saiyans and have vaginas which make them perfect for lewd fanart.

Moro's design was great. But it didn't make for good horny posting, there's no fandom obsession for demonic looking beasts, and there's no angst to speak of. So naturally there's not going to be in much fanart.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2821
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 am
All I'm going to say is that I've already seen more fanarts of Granolah than Moro.
'Amount of fanart' is a bad way to measure how well a character was designed. Fans are pretty stupid and rarely gravitate towards a character because he's well designed. Usually a fanartist is looking for 1) how easy it is to lewd up the character, 2) how well they slot in to some obsession the fandom's developed, and 3) how angsty they are. (heck, you can apply this to fan creations as a whole. There's a reason Zangya keeps showing up in fanart and fanfiction and it's not because she's the best designed of Bojack's minions)

Just look at the U6 Saiyans. Mountains of fanart despite boring designs because they trigger the fandom's obsession with Saiyans and have vaginas which make them perfect for lewd fanart.

Moro's design was great. But it didn't make for good horny posting, there's no fandom obsession for demonic looking beasts, and there's no angst to speak of. So naturally there's not going to be in much fanart.
I disagree, while it's true that fan artists usually gravitate towards the conventionally attractive characters (hence why people like Zamasu or the U6 Girls, despite having very little screentime overall, have A LOT of fanarts to their name), it is also true that monstrous-looking characters are often featured in fan-arts. For example, there are so many fanarts depicting Cell in his Imperfect form, yet Imperfect Cell clearly looks ugly and terrifying.

So the fact that Moro is designed as a monster really isn't a mitigating factor. A better argument would be that he doesn't have a lot of fanarts yet because he has yet to appear in the visual medium, which is the one consumed by most people.

Also I really don't know why you assume every fanart or most fanarts are lewd or sexual, that's so not true, refer to the aforementioned Imperfect Cell. I truly do hope that no one is out there sexualizing Imperfect Cell.
And yet you still have the desire to fight me, don't you? Go ahead and challenge me all you like until you realize your own sheer impotence.

User avatar
It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Now I'm wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me. I don't remember any fanart of Imperfect Cell (unless you count hentai doujins). Tons of form 1 and Perfect Cell but Imperfect Cell was always skipped over except when the artist was doing an all three stages collage. Was it more common than I remember?
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Also I really don't know why you assume every fanart or most fanarts are lewd or sexual, that's so not true, refer to the aforementioned Imperfect Cell. I truly do hope that no one is out there sexualizing Imperfect Cell.
Ugly Bastard is a popular tag for a reason :lol:

It's not for me but lots of people seem to be into it.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2821
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: In a fighting series, why is it problematic to discuss the power-scaling of the characters?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:55 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm
Now I'm wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me. I don't remember any fanart of Imperfect Cell (unless you count hentai doujins). Tons of form 1 and Perfect Cell but Imperfect Cell was always skipped over except when the artist was doing an all three stages collage. Was it more common than I remember?
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Also I really don't know why you assume every fanart or most fanarts are lewd or sexual, that's so not true, refer to the aforementioned Imperfect Cell. I truly do hope that no one is out there sexualizing Imperfect Cell.
Ugly Bastard is a popular tag for a reason :lol:

It's not for me but lots of people seem to be into it.
Isn't "Imperfect Cell" his first form though? While Semi-perfect Cell is the ugly middle one? Anyway Yeah I meant the First form, you have to admit that that is a pretty iconic and popular form despite the fact that it looks absolutely monstrous (literally a bug man).
And yet you still have the desire to fight me, don't you? Go ahead and challenge me all you like until you realize your own sheer impotence.

Post Reply