Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue May 11, 2021 5:20 am

I, for one, am glad they are working on another movie (with Toriyama's involvement, of course). I was worried that we would only be getting another movie after another season of the anime.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1715
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 am

I went back and read Iyoku and Hayashida's comments on the next film back in June 2019.
They point out that Broly was too powerful and that they're going in a different direction for the next movie. I wonder what that could imply? A villain weaker than Broly? Maybe a movie that isn't heavily focused on long action scenes like Broly?

I would love for this next movie to have some adventure aspects to it. Maybe visiting another planet? A hunt for the Super Dragon Balls? Also, how will the Dragon Balls be involved in this movie? They've been present in the last three films (BoG: wish on how to create a SSJG, 'F': wish to resurrect Freeza, Broly: wish to send Broly back to Vampa), so I wonder if they'll have a significant role in this movie.

I still think this will continue off of Broly's open ending and will be set before the Moro arc.

Also, the very thought of the next movie having better animation than Broly is enough to get me excited.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 am

HeroR wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:16 pm

Those were regular ki balls, not Hakai. So he wasn't going to erased them from existence and despite that, that is still nicer than most of Beerus' actions. Remember, Beerus destroyed half a planet over greasy food.
The fact that you're trying to make Champa look good by comparing him to Beerus (mentally unstable individual) proves that Champa isn't a nice person at all. Killing people over a game is not "nice behaviour".

Even then being nicer than Beerus isn't a compelling character trait. And it's the reason why no one cares about discussing Champa as a character, while people to this day (5 years later) are still talking and discussing about Zamasu's motivations, actions, etc. That's how you know you wrote a good villain. When people still talk about him long after he died.
Because they disagree with him, he decide to murder them. Not a good reason to kill your coworkers. Even Vegeta called him out on this saying he wants to make a world for the gods, but killed all the gods except literally himself. Him having a twisted sense of justice doesn't make him complex, it just make him crazy. A crazy serial killer justifying his actions just like Light from Death Note.
Who says that crazy characters can't be complex?
Yes, Vegeta's a former mass-murderer who was really shallow, your point? The different is, Vegeta learned and acknowledged that he was an asshole and he was going to hell for it. Since then, he strived to be a better person. So, how exactly does that compared to Zamasu who remained unrepentant until he got erased?
This combined with your point about Paragus makes me think that you believe a character is complex only if they show remorse/repent. That's false. A character can be complex even if they remain unrepentant until the very end like Zamasu.
Trunks said even if he called him a sinner, his actions weren't wrong. So he basically told Zamasu 'call me a sinner, but I'm right'.
This never happened, Trunks told Zamasu that if he called him a sinner then that's what he'll be, and that he simply doesn't care. Trunks at no point attempts to defend his actions or counter Zamasu's points, he simply accepts to be labelled a sinner.
And Gowasu said that about time-traveling, not Trunks since he didn't know nothing about Trunks nor the reason why he time traveled to begin with.
Gowasu obviously didn't say that Trunks was a fool since he didn't know him yet, but he did say that whoever time-travelled and caused the appearance of new Time Rings was a fool. Meaning that he indirectly called Trunks (and Cell I suppose) a fool.
The only points that the story showed were 'valid' was that mortal were flawed and so were the gods. Half which Zamasu didn't acknowledged since he always thought he was right because he was a god.
And the fact that the mortals committed a crime by travelling through time. Zamasu also acknowledges several times that the Gods are failures, the very reason why he wished for Goku's body was so that he could imprint upon his being the failure of the Kais (who created a mortal species they could not control).
You don't need a 'philosophy' to be complex.
No, but it undoubtedly helps. And similarly you don't need to repent or be redeemed to be complex. Vegeta and Paragus aren't more complex characters than Zamasu just because they were redeemed/tried to repent for their mistakes.
Twisting into something hideous... It's the physical embodiment of what he feels within. He is obsessed. Fixated on the contradictions of Gods and mortals. If mortals have capacity for wisdom, why do they so often fail? If Gods see their actions as wicked, why do they tolerate and forgive? How can Gods and mortals seem so different yet so alike? What is the point of it all? Zamasu seeks beauty. Yet look at his body, distorted by hatred and rage. I wonder... Is that really the result that he craved? A broken, misshapen God alone in the vacant cosmos? How fulfilled will he be then?

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2320
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Xeogran » Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 am
They point out that Broly was too powerful and that they're going in a different direction for the next movie. I wonder what that could imply? A villain weaker than Broly? Maybe a movie that isn't heavily focused on long action scenes like Broly?
Come to think, Moro was weaker than Broly until like 90% into the arc (Moro-73). The next location could be Yardrat and the unexpected character would be Daikaioshin. This all would fit in if you pretend the message is geared towards anime watchers.

User avatar
Yuji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Yuji » Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm

I would love for Kageyama to return to Dragon Ball with this movie.

BagetaSama
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:32 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by BagetaSama » Tue May 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Skar wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:12 am
BagetaSama wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 am
Why would when the manga ended matter in this case? The abime has to operate on its own schedule and end at a decent time before the movie. I dont think they would release an anime, and not have it end in time for the movie to fit in chronologically, that would imply that the manga is the one leading this operation, but obviously the anime has always been the main product for marketing purposes and so on.
Both versions of the ToP ended before Broly but my point was that the manga was behind and still ended that arc the month before Broly. It could just be a coincidence or it was planned to happen that way. At this point, the manga is the only current product so I don't see why the same wouldn't happen again with the current arc and the next movie but that's only assuming the movie will take place after Granolah.
Okay sure, but I'm talking about the possibility of the anime coming back. Now you're talking about the scheduling of the movie as it relates to the manga where the manga is the only product.

BagetaSama
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:32 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by BagetaSama » Tue May 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:20 am
I, for one, am glad they are working on another movie (with Toriyama's involvement, of course). I was worried that we would only be getting another movie after another season of the anime.
Wouldn't that be better?? Getting another movie after we see a Moro and Granolah arc in the anime?

User avatar
MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by MCDaveG » Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 pm

HeroR wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am
radicalzenigma wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am
Thanos wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:38 pm


We are getting very close to the 30-year mark of the kids’ debut. That was fine when the series had been over for so long, but Battle of Gods released nearly a decade ago and they even seem to shrink slightly with the passage of time. I wish Toriyama would just retcon the manga ending altogether. Not to mention Uub would have surely lost potential relevance by now, only being the reincarnation of Buu who is hardly the be-all end-all final boss that he once was. Maybe they can work in some kind of Whis training/god power with him but as it stands so much has happened since Buu it seems pretty irrelevant now.
I see Dragon Ball in the same place as where the new LOTR series is about to be. They can't touch anything already written and they have to stay well away from anything from the trilogy, but I get this because Tolkien is dead and now longer able to write anything new. However, in Dragon Ball's case, Toriyama is still here, why can't we get out of this small 10-year gap and progress past EoZ? At this point there's not a lot left of time left till the end of Z and there's already some inconsistencies. I remember in EoZ Bulma and/or Vegeta mentioning they haven't seen Goku in 5 years. As of the latest manga chapter we're in Age 780 potentially 781. EoZ happens in 784, so that 5 year line can no longer be true.
Because Toriyama doesn't want to and the last time they did, we got GT and Toei doesn't want a repeat of that.

And honestly, why do people care so much about Bulma's five years line? Like, does it change anything if she said it or not?
Sure, but with LOTR, it is as if Dragon Ball had prequel set 1000 years before, with different cast of characters that weren’t in the current timeline...

With Super, it is as if (and this is exaggeration of course), they made a movie with the LOTR cast, that happens inbetween the SPOILER defeating of Sauron and before their journey to Undying Lands... Sure, might be nice episode in the saga about some small new adventure, but imagine them making a trilogy about that. And sure, it might work, but you know what happens to Frodo and that Sam returns to a family... and then, if that is a success, imagine them doing another trilogy! And make two returns of Saurons in those trilogies and return of Morgoth who is definitely going to kill the heroes! Well, no, Frodo and company goes to Undying lands while the rest stays happily ever after in peace and Aragorn rules still... no drama.

But, different cast in distant past is a gamechanger, same as a new story after the movie ends... see the infamous Star Wars sequel trilogy. Not brilliant, but still better at this than Super and Super movies happening in alleged time of peace before the 25th Budokai where all are safe and sound and Earth is intact.

Aaaaand Hobit, or Star Wars prequels... sure, we knew that Anakin will become Darth Vader and that Bilbo will return to Shire with ring, but how did that exactly happen? How did the world look like? What were the other characters or younger versions of them doing? That is interesting, but it really doesn’t work in Dragon Ball now, as we knew originally, that nothing actually happened and it was boring and now we have to believe that no! Actually things happened, but have no impact anyway. I don’t know, maybe an interesting and groundbreaking story about how Goku came to wear his blue gi at the end of Z...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:50 am
Yuji wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 am
Perhaps a "slightly unexpected character" means only that someone like Gohan or Piccolo, someone from the side cast, gets a bigger role than usual in modern Toriyama stories. Perhaps it's not indicating necessarily the canonization of an old character or the return of a defunct one.
This is certainly a possibility. I'd love to see Piccolo learn a new technique or power up that would put him in the same tier as Goku and Vegeta.
Myself and others have been saying this for years. And when the Broly movie was coming out Piccolo was one of the early characters that were featured leading people to believe his role could be a big one.

That flopped hard lol. I won't be falling for that again. Cooler is the likely scenario tbh.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue May 11, 2021 1:53 pm

BagetaSama wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:21 pm
Wouldn't that be better?? Getting another movie after we see a Moro and Granolah arc in the anime?
Not to me, no.

User avatar
Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Kodoshin » Tue May 11, 2021 2:32 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 am
They point out that Broly was too powerful and that they're going in a different direction for the next movie. I wonder what that could imply? A villain weaker than Broly? Maybe a movie that isn't heavily focused on long action scenes like Broly?
Come to think, Moro was weaker than Broly until like 90% into the arc (Moro-73). The next location could be Yardrat and the unexpected character would be Daikaioshin. This all would fit in if you pretend the message is geared towards anime watchers.
Yeah that's what I suspect as well. It just lines up all too easy.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5880
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by precita » Tue May 11, 2021 2:51 pm

I just hope we have no new transformations in the movie. Don't think Gogeta will be in this one either because there's no point.

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Regular
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm

When should I expect more info for the movie? I remember there being some event (sdcc I think) before Jump Festa where Toei revealed some of the model sheets, and I think we got a few posters before that too.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Super Saiyan God » Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 pm

I think movie would set after granolah arc and after 2-3 months of movie released anime would continue from broly arc, then moro and granolah. And re telling about movie on 2022 so we can understand a lot of things more clear from broly saga, moro saga and granolah saga.

User avatar
Yuji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Yuji » Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Count me into the camp of those who would rather a straightforward adaptation of the manga before the release of this movie, if only because it helps more casual fans get into the series easier. With all the different continuities now it's getting hard to track.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1715
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm
When should I expect more info for the movie? I remember there being some event (sdcc I think) before Jump Festa where Toei revealed some of the model sheets, and I think we got a few posters before that too.
Judging by the build up to Broly’s release, we’ll get small info drops on V jump somewhere down the line and possibly a teaser trailer some time this year. But I don’t think we’ll get the title, official poster and first trailer until December during Jump Festa.

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 am
I went back and read Iyoku and Hayashida's comments on the next film back in June 2019.
They point out that Broly was too powerful and that they're going in a different direction for the next movie. I wonder what that could imply? A villain weaker than Broly? Maybe a movie that isn't heavily focused on long action scenes like Broly?
When they fought Broly they were battling pure brute strength, there was no cunning, no fighting skill, just immeasurable power and rage. So I'd imagine they mean the next movie villian will rely more on cunning and ability, not just strength.

User avatar
jonah hex
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by jonah hex » Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 am

maybe new movie will be retcon of last few DBZ episodes about how Goku and Uub met and start training together.

User avatar
MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5026
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 12, 2021 6:56 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 am
I went back and read Iyoku and Hayashida's comments on the next film back in June 2019.
They point out that Broly was too powerful and that they're going in a different direction for the next movie. I wonder what that could imply? A villain weaker than Broly? Maybe a movie that isn't heavily focused on long action scenes like Broly?
When they fought Broly they were battling pure brute strength, there was no cunning, no fighting skill, just immeasurable power and rage. So I'd imagine they mean the next movie villian will rely more on cunning and ability, not just strength.
I wish... had high hopes for Moro and he ended up being a planet.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Ironixie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022?

Post by Ironixie » Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Noah wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 pm
People keep speculating about either Coola or Janemba (since they are the most popular Z movie villains besides Broly), but with "unexplored territory" I expect something better, maybe the trip to Sadala that Vegeta promissed to Cabba? I don't know... I would take anything in another universe, especially having the opportunity to see characters like the Pride Troopers, Kefla and Hit in action again. I had of enough of this series shoving down in our throats Krillin, Tenshinhan and Yamcha for the sake of nostalgia. Just accept that these characters arc are over and they are no longer useful, may as well this serve to Gohan and Piccolo since they don't get any improvement either.
I have no idea where you've even gotten that idea from considering they've barely even been used besides in some minor training arc and filler episodes and a little bit of a squeeze in from a causal episode accompanied with maybe a manga appearance here and there, but they barely even touched Earthlings so I don't know what that mess was all about unless you just don't want them to be shown period but that idea is kind of stupid because characters like even Yamcha, for instance, was ranked top 15 as favorites in Japan, so I doubt that's what you meant because that'd be literal poop ass, like c'mon now. It'd be better if they made humans and namekians more meaningful to the story instead. Also, Cooler or janemba wasn't really my favorite either, but neither was Broly, I thought he was stupid until Toriyama revised him.

Also as for Sadala idea, I think the worst thing you could do is add yet even MORE Saiyan characters, Kale and Caulfia were garbage, Cabba just exists, he has some potential but wouldn't be too interesting, he's just Tarble essentially. The idea bores me

If they do go to Sadala I hope it's brief because there's really no point in going there other than seeing what some of it's like, I'd prefer if they went to the afterlife, because at least with a janemba movie there's a reason to go there and there are probably an unfathomable amount of races and all kinds of things in there we haven't seen that have gone extinct, and it would make sense that there would be beings who can fight characters like U.I goku in the afterlife too because they are there forever. The afterlife was the single most mixed bag of unique and even more fantasy established characters ever seen, besides T.O.P.

With a Cooler movie, I don't know what they would do but I would prefer not to see another Broly thing as people say, because that kind of works just for Broly, Janemba has more universe exploring potential.

Post Reply