Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 am The Annecy Festival posted this original animation on their social media pages to celebrate their 60th anniversary. Toei created it for the event.

It looks incredible! I hope this will represent what the next movie will look like. It’s even got a cinematic aspect ratio. It would be pretty cool to use that ratio for the next movie, it’ll create a wider sense of scale for the battles.
Looks absolutely sick. Hopefully this is the future. It's undeniably cool to see so many characters officially appear in the 'Shintani style' (even Tights, what the heck), though unfortunately the Saiyan brats still haven't changed much.

I also like that this made for an artsy French film festival. Dragon Ball may be viewed as low culture as you can get but it's always put on a high pedestal. There was even a proper museum exhibit recently dedicated to Toriyama and other classic mangaka.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Unfortunately it seems we'll never move on from the vague "5 years after the Boo saga" timeframe.

Trunks and Goten are doomed to be little kids forever. We'll never get to Oob.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:16 pm

Goten and Trunks should stay kids forever. Let's focus on good characters and develop them more, not characters just for the sake of artificially moving forward a fictional timeline.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:19 pm

precita wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:15 pm Unfortunately it seems we'll never move on from the vague "5 years after the Boo saga" timeframe.

Trunks and Goten are doomed to be little kids forever. We'll never get to Oob.
I mean, in the manga we already have got to Uub in a certain huge climactic moment. I do believe at some point we will get past the 28th Budokai, though it is taking its sweet time.

This promo feels like a blast from the past because most these designs, while graphically updated, are still essentially the same as when the anime left off in 2018. Same Yamcha, same Tenshinhan, same Chaozu. Meanwhile, Kuririn and #18 look like they've jumped out of the year 2013 (jesus this revival has been going on for a long time). Still looks cool though.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm

The fact that Goten, Trunks and Marron aren’t allowed to grow up is a little annoying, mainly because it’s a firm reminder that Dragon Ball is unwilling to progress beyond what’s already safe and familiar.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm The fact that Goten, Trunks and Marron aren’t allowed to grow up is a little annoying, mainly because it’s a firm reminder that Dragon Ball is unwilling to progress beyond what’s already safe and familiar.
That's all commercial art as a whole, though. Everything is about doing what least rocks the boat.

There also just appears to be little creative desire on behalf of the staff to work these characters in, so...yeah.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:20 am

Having kids that don't age makes Dragon Ball feel stagnant like The Simpsons or Pokemon where the main cast is not allowed to age. However Dragon Ball has ALWAYS aged its characters and it's what the fandom is used to, so to see us stuck in the same time period since 2013 (or hell, even 2008) after all this time is absurd.

Especially when EOZ is supposed to be "right around the corner."

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:04 am

Especially when Trunks in Super is now around the same age Future Trunks was when Future Gohan died, and he still looks and acts like he is 8 years old.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:21 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:21 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 am The Annecy Festival posted this original animation on their social media pages to celebrate their 60th anniversary. Toei created it for the event.

It looks incredible! I hope this will represent what the next movie will look like. It’s even got a cinematic aspect ratio. It would be pretty cool to use that ratio for the next movie, it’ll create a wider sense of scale for the battles.
Looks absolutely sick. Hopefully this is the future. It's undeniably cool to see so many characters officially appear in the 'Shintani style' (even Tights, what the heck), though unfortunately the Saiyan brats still haven't changed much.

I also like that this made for an artsy French film festival. Dragon Ball may be viewed as low culture as you can get but it's always put on a high pedestal. There was even a proper museum exhibit recently dedicated to Toriyama and other classic mangaka.
Am I the only one who was "bleh" when watching that? I really don't like the colors and coloring.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm

About that animation video for Annect Festival it's officially confirmed that the director was Ryota Nakamura (One of ToP arc directors) and Shintani was the animation supervisor: https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 8828504066

There a chance we may have the same duo for the new movie, but there's no confirmation on that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Huh. Kind of figures that that would happen. I do hope Nakamura shows off some new techniques for the film if he is directing, though.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:01 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm About that animation video for Annect Festival it's officially confirmed that the director was Ryota Nakamura (One of ToP arc directors) and Shintani was the animation supervisor: https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 8828504066

There a chance we may have the same duo for the new movie, but there's no confirmation on that.
I really hope it's like that animation. Toriyama kind of put fear into me, saying the art will be uncharted territory for Dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:43 pm

It's Toriyama, he probably thinks that Yamamuro is still the movie guy because he does all of the other stuff.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:12 pm

So wasn't there supposed to be a teaser or movie title revealed? They went back to radio silence. I would have thought they would reveal something by now.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:28 pm

They never said the would reveal anything more yet.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:59 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm The fact that Goten, Trunks and Marron aren’t allowed to grow up is a little annoying, mainly because it’s a firm reminder that Dragon Ball is unwilling to progress beyond what’s already safe and familiar.
That's all commercial art as a whole, though. Everything is about doing what least rocks the boat.

There also just appears to be little creative desire on behalf of the staff to work these characters in, so...yeah.
I can't imagine it would be a huge amount of work just to sketch a couple of designs of their older selves to be more consistent with the timeline. Doesn't necessarily mean they have to be important to the plot or have a character arc at all. Certainly Toriyama didn't think so when he kept consistently changing everyone's designs as time passed. Some characters simply got new looks to reflect the passage of time but it didn't necessitate an inclusion in the plot's key beats.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:15 am

precita wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:12 pm So wasn't there supposed to be a teaser or movie title revealed? They went back to radio silence. I would have thought they would reveal something by now.
Toei never gave a time frame for when to expect more info or a teaser. Personally, I'm not expecting a teaser until the end of the year, and I doubt it will contain anything more than some shots of Goku and a release date.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:40 pm

So we only will get info about the upcoming movie in December, right? Damn, that's gonna take a while...
ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:45 am I am not a fan of Super's version of Trunks. Everything about him irritates me, from the way they retroactively try to retcon the color of his hair, despite his younger self being right there, to the unexplained and pointless transformation they gave him in the anime version, to the way Super completely forgets Trunks' original moves (Burning Attack?) and just treat him like Vegeta Jr... If the next movie stars Future Trunks, I'm not going to be happy.
Yes! One thousand of times yes! I'm glad more people are addressing that Super ruined Future Trunks character as for the love of God: his arc was finished! But okay, they brought him back with a good premise of "Goku" being the villain this time, but still pretty sh**ty and in the end all of the struggle didn't matter, cuz Zeno button. I hope Future Trunks never come back to the series again.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:15 pm

Zeno wiping out the timeline was the best part of the saga because it proved Zamasu essentially won and it also proved Zeno was the real deal and not just a joke or gag character.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 am

People have this imaginary idea that Trunks was owed an happy ending; he wasn't. The Future Trunks arc's ending is perfect because it shows for the first time in the history of the franchise that the Dragon Balls can't just bring back everyone and everything. For the first time in the history of the franchise, death actually mattered. As opposed to literally every other arc where at the end the dead people came back to life.

In the end all of Trunks' struggles didn't matter? Too bad, that's life. Sometimes things don't go the way we want them. That's reality. There isn't always a happy ending.