Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 pm

I hope that this story has lower stakes, too, a little like how EoZ had.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Please give me Pan saving the day with a plea that ends the fighting. Thank you, John Toei.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Hmm I thought that 3d model looked pretty damn good. A nice melding of 2d animation with 3d sensibilities. Granted, seeing it in a full on trailer is going to be the deciding factor, but I'm not going to dismiss this yet.

Though it does make you wonder if the film is going to be its own thing, or does it acknowledge everything going on in the manga?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 pm

No word if Freeza will show up or not?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm pretty dissapointed it will be CG, and I'm not a fan of Pan's new design, but I'll give it a chance, maybe it'll grow on me. Super Broly was the best Dragon Ball has ever looked IMO, I was really hoping they'd use the same animation style.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Bleh to CG, we won't get to see Shida, Takahashi, Onishi and others.

What a sad day

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:25 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:25 pm Frankly this movie is giving me huge "Slice of Life/Filler" vibes, it wouldn't surprise me if it was far more laid back than RoF and Broly, both of which were huge battles for the fate of the Earth. This might be closer to BoG and how it had a lot of slice of life moments and honestly it might not even involve a world-ending threat.
I get that impression as well. I can't imagine these extremely important fish-fin guys are gonna be a massive threat, but then again, looks can deceive. Also, whoever pointed out the similarity between them and the Cyborg #009 cast earlier, nice catch. :thumbup: I have a feeling these guys will be allies rather than enemies, considering their numerical motif seems similar to how Japanese superheroes number themselves (e.g. Yatterman #1 and #2) for whatever reason.

So yeah, quite a bit to take in. Kageyama seemed to be enjoying himself, as per. But the big thing is obviously the CGI. I'd kinda resigned myself to the possibility ever since Toriyama talked about "breaking new ground visually" with this instalment, but I have to say, I'm disappointed with it as well. If that Goku demo is an impression of how the rest of the film will look, count me unimpressed. It does just look like a slightly amped up Kakarot or FighterZ cutscene. I would've been more receptive if they went with a similar style to those 4-D movie rides at Universal Japan and just fully embraced the CGI aesthetic, rather than trying to go halfsies with a cel-shaded style to emulate 2D animation.

Something about Goku just looks off in this style, which is a shame, because design-wise, there's a lot to like. Goku looks very sharp and angular, giving him more of a mature vibe that he showed towards the end of the original manga, which the Super franchise had totally neglected in favour of a perpetual baby-faced Goku. I am a little sick of the kanji logos on his gi. I wish he'd just ditch them like in the Super manga and go for a more minimalist look.

Other than that, though, I'm excited with the details we've got. It seems we've finally reached a later point in the timeline, so we're seeing some actual growth in the character designs, which I'm relieved about... My first reaction was "oh, fucken' finally, kant". :lol: The topic of characters like Goten, Trunks and Pan ageing has been curbstomped so hard by the fandom that it's been a brown, dried stain on the pavement that blue-collar commuters might glance at on the way to work and think "damn, that stain's been there years, wonder why the council haven't had it cleaned by now", but it's one of those key aspects of the original story that Dragon Ball Super has glossed over to its detriment. Maybe it's too little, too late now, unfortunately. The sense of realistic growth and progression from the original series can never be recaptured.

Pan looks good, but I'm really digging Piccolo's DBO-style Doc Martens boots. Combined with his yellowed muscle tissues and mottled skin, it seems this story may take place quite far into the future indeed. Love that Piccolo built himself a lil' house.

Lastly, the title and overall theme of the movie opens up many possibilities (kinda wish it was just Dragon Ball Super: Hero but the stupidity of the real title is charming). As much as fans bristle at the mere suggestion of Dragon Ball being lumped into the superhero genre, the series has courted it several times, from Great Saiyaman stuff to the Galactic Patrol stuff to the Universe 11 stuff. It would be interesting to see that theme continue and be delved into more deeply. Perhaps Goku will be forced into traditional super-heroics alongside Gohan, with Kuririn as their Commissioner Gordon? Possibilities...

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:34 pm Given they showed character designs for piccolo with and without his cape and turban I think its fair to say Piccolo is probrably gonna be fighting in this movie.

I'm down for a low stakes movie starting the side characters like Krillin Piccolo and Gohan. I Thought this is what other people wanted too but people are mad rn that this movie isn't Cooler or Janemba which I think are both stupid ideas. I'd much rather have a fresh new movie with Lower Stakes and let the side characters do things than just another "Harr Harr Big Punchy Punchy" Meathead Movie Like Broly was. I like the broly movie but that movie had practically no story and Broly barley had any more character than the original. Its just total spectacle.

If this movie is going for a more story based slice of life dragon ball theme then count me in. Haven't enjoyed slice of life in Dragon Ball Since...well Dragon Ball.
That's the thing, I don't even think it'll be low stakes. I'm so far expecting another BoG type movie, something more chill for the most part but with a fairly strong villain who can threaten to ... destroy the planet I guess like the rest of them. I'm just thinking that perhaps Gohan and maybe Jaco will get a generous amount of screentime if we're going all out on "superheroes". And yeah, I think Piccolo will be fighting too which is why I have this notion that Gohan will be one of the featured protagonists. Piccolo also kind of looks like a superhero.

On the flipside, it's best not to expect certain things either. I wouldn't even be surprised if we had another Future Trunks (manga) situation where Gohan brings in the threat into the story but Goku and Vegeta must ultimately resolve it. It may not even be Gohan's movie at all. Maybe Goku and Vegeta will be the superheroes.

But even if it is low stakes, count me as one of those on the side of wanting to see something like that, something more character based, fun, and slightly whimsical.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:36 pm

...Well.

Thing is, in concept, this is everything I want. Campy tone, some focus on the supporting cast, hopefully going heavier on the gags, et cetera.

Sadly, I don't like that teaser. It don't look good.

That said, it would be wrong to take that as an example of exactly how the film will look, and even if it is how it looks, that doesn't necessarily mean it will look that way the whole time.

I'm not against CG for animated films, or even for Dragon Ball, but you have to nail down the aesthetic of your best work in 2D, and so far, that Goku looks maybe above-average for a DB video game. The fact that he moves exactly the same as in the original Broly teaser gives me hope that we'll see more Shintani-esque stuff, but I only say that because to my knowledge none of the 2D staff are 3D animators, so I dunno what they're doing.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm

.....Toriyama is about to shit on the DBS manga continuity isn't he?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 pm

I’m certainly not against a more laidback movie that focuses more on the slice of life stuff, and gives the supporting characters some focus. With that said, that doesn’t sound like something that fans outside of this forum would want.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm .....Toriyama is about to shit on the DBS manga continuity isn't he?
I imagine they're going to handle it like they did Broly, where they avoid making out right mentions of anything going on in the anime/manga, which makes it an easier way for anyone to get into it.

BAsically it probably won't be a return to the AU of the original DBZ movies, but I can see them making the briefest mention of Moro or Granolah.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:05 pm

The problem is if Goku/Vegeta fight in the movie it wouldn't make sense for them not to use their new forms they got in the manga since this movie takes place after. And we know Toei won't debut those new forms in this movie since it'll confuse people who don't follow the manga. So the only alternative is either Goku/Vegeta don't fight in this movie, or we just don't see anything beyond Super Saiyan Blue.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:09 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:34 pm Given they showed character designs for piccolo with and without his cape and turban I think its fair to say Piccolo is probrably gonna be fighting in this movie.

I'm down for a low stakes movie starting the side characters like Krillin Piccolo and Gohan. I Thought this is what other people wanted too but people are mad rn that this movie isn't Cooler or Janemba which I think are both stupid ideas. I'd much rather have a fresh new movie with Lower Stakes and let the side characters do things than just another "Harr Harr Big Punchy Punchy" Meathead Movie Like Broly was. I like the broly movie but that movie had practically no story and Broly barley had any more character than the original. Its just total spectacle.

If this movie is going for a more story based slice of life dragon ball theme then count me in. Haven't enjoyed slice of life in Dragon Ball Since...well Dragon Ball.
That's the thing, I don't even think it'll be low stakes. I'm so far expecting another BoG type movie, something more chill for the most part but with a fairly strong villain who can threaten to ... destroy the planet I guess like the rest of them. I'm just thinking that perhaps Gohan and maybe Jaco will get a generous amount of screentime if we're going all out on "superheroes". And yeah, I think Piccolo will be fighting too which is why I have this notion that Gohan will be one of the featured protagonists. Piccolo also kind of looks like a superhero.

On the flipside, it's best not to expect certain things either. I wouldn't even be surprised if we had another Future Trunks (manga) situation where Gohan brings in the threat into the story but Goku and Vegeta must ultimately resolve it. It may not even be Gohan's movie at all. Maybe Goku and Vegeta will be the superheroes.

But even if it is low stakes, count me as one of those on the side of wanting to see something like that, something more character based, fun, and slightly whimsical.
Honestly I think people are jumping the gun that it’s a Gohan focused movie. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be in it (and after he wasn’t in the Broly movie I hope he is) but people seem to be expecting him to have the main role based on very small evidence: the super hero motif and the fact that Pan is in it. Well Pan had a big role in EOZ and GT when Gohan didn’t so Pan having a main role doesn’t mean Gohan automatically does too.

I can certainly see Vegeta not being in this movie or his role
being very reduced but the teaser trailer literally showed Goku and yet many people are actually expecting him not to be in the movie. Not only do I expect Goku to be there but I still expect him to have the main role.

Maybe I am wrong and Gohan will be the main hero here but people should probably not get their hopes up based on very flimsy things.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm

I also want to say a resounding THANK FUCK that it's not another "old villain returns/gets canonically reimagined" scenario.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:58 pm I hope that this story has lower stakes, too, a little like how EoZ had.
There has to be some seriousness to it, it’d be hella underwhelming if we get all this hype for a new film and it’s just a 90 minute version of “Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return”.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm I also want to say a resounding THANK FUCK that it's not another "old villain returns/gets canonically reimagined" scenario.
Well, it still may be. We know nothing about the plot. It was just few designs, that's all. We don't even know how the rest of the cast look like. Maybe Cooler is like Frost and he is pretending to be, or is in fact, a Super Hero? Or maybe it's about Tapion? He was a hero after all.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 pm

CG interesting approach there but in general i feel indifferent to it gonna have to wait for another trailer. Pan new design is cute at least
Mostly active on discord.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Friends :lol:

Would be neat to see the "hero" ToP fighters again - the new character could be trying to merge the universes...or something.

Wait...why would that be bad, other than too many gods and Angels?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:09 pm
BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Honestly I think people are jumping the gun that it’s a Gohan focused movie. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be in it (and after he wasn’t in the Broly movie I hope he is) but people seem to be expecting him to have the main role based on very small evidence: the super hero motif and the fact that Pan is in it. Well Pan had a big role in EOZ and GT when Gohan didn’t so Pan having a main role doesn’t mean Gohan automatically does too.

I can certainly see Vegeta not being in this movie or his role
being very reduced but the teaser trailer literally showed Goku and yet many people are actually expecting him not to be in the movie. Not only do I expect Goku to be there but I still expect him to have the main role.

Maybe I am wrong and Gohan will be the main hero here but people should probably not get their hopes up based on very flimsy things.
The epilogue in the manga is very small and Pan is briefly there because the main focus is Goku and Oob. It's also not even that long so I wouldn't really use that as evidence for anything when Gohan still got panels there. GT also isn't a good indication because it still mostly focused on Goku and Pan was a damsel in distress the whole time - hopefully that won't be the case again.