Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 am

Thank god, I though we would only get news about this movie by December!

Here's my first thoughts:

- Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero is a bad title.

- By Hero I can imagine characters like Jaco and Gohan having a good role in this movie, it could be interesting... Well anything better than another Goku & Vegeta movie.

- Is this movie already confirmed to be in CGI? If not I don't see why people are reacting so badly about a small teaser.

- I almost fell off my chair when I saw Pan design, though this would be set in EoZ, but it seems it will be 2 years before 28th Tenkaichi Budokai? Meh... But that also implies that Goten and Trunks should get new designs. If not, I can see fans going to protest with banners and flaming torches in front of Toriyama's house :lol:

- The supposed villains reminds me a bit of the Subway Bosses from Pokémon Black & White. They don't feel menacing at all, I can't picture UI Goku fighting those fellas.

- I'm okay for a low stakes movie, considering we're getting close to final chapter of the original manga and it wouldn't make sense to have a conflict so close to it.
MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:01 am have tried the Digimon OAV reboot, but it was kinda boring and like watching the same kid show, haven't noticed any appeal for me as a grew up old fan...
Well if you're referencing Digimon Adventure Tri I can see why you were disappointed as it was not that amusing. But have you watched Digimon Tamers? I think it's arguably the best Digimon series, I have rewatched the past year and was impressed by some mature points of the story I never had got the first time I watched when I was a child.
emperior wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:33 amThe theme is also cool, SUPER HERO was the most unexpected theme for a DB movie written by Toriyama...
I don't think it's unexpected at all, we see that by the time the Ginyu Force shows up, Toriyama has a thing for super sentai themes, Gohan coming back as the Great Saiyaman with his silly poses so as Jaco in RoF further reaffirm this.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:13 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:33 am GT Pan was obnoxious and stupid because Toei was writing her, Toei can write very good characters (see anime Goku Black) or very bad characters (most of GT characters). But here Pan would be written by Toriyama so there's nothing to worry about.
Toriyama is a historically shitty writer when it comes to women, so I am sleeping with one eye opened on that front.
Well end of Z Pan has a spunky personality similar to that of Goku so... you know shouldn''t be hard for him.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:15 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:13 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:33 am GT Pan was obnoxious and stupid because Toei was writing her, Toei can write very good characters (see anime Goku Black) or very bad characters (most of GT characters). But here Pan would be written by Toriyama so there's nothing to worry about.
Toriyama is a historically shitty writer when it comes to women, so I am sleeping with one eye opened on that front.
Well end of Z Pan has a spunky personality similar to that of Goku so... you know shouldn''t be hard for him.
Shouldn't be too be too hard to not have Kuririn sexually assault Blooma by forcing her top down and exposing her breasts to the Muten Roushi as a joke in a mainstream comic for kids but he still managed to unnecessarily do that, too.

Again, one eye open. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong but I am not being unreasonable by remaining leary.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 amReally? A helpful girl who helped Goku achieve SS4, helped defeat some sub-villains (Lord Luud, Rildo's army) and brought something new to the table by having a different personality? All this hatred just because she acts pretty true to her age? It's sad.
But none of that stops the fact that the character was on obnoxious, whiny, annoying, wouldn't stop shouting and complaining and was useless for most of the show.

What makes her the worst character in the franchise is that she was a horrific character who was around for a long time.

Other crappy characters like Ribrianne come and go and have little importance. Pan was one of the main reasons why GT was as bad as it was. She was like Jar Jar Binks to Episode 1.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:12 pm

Just realized that Vegeta and Bulma being on a trip would be a cool way to give Earthling's clothes to Vegeta, as we see him wearing in the tournament (besides neglecting creating an issue with Goku and Bulma not seeing each other in years). And that also reminds me, will we finally see Goku with blue gi? It's high time they changed clothes anyway...

If it's more laid back like Tarble OVA, besides the possibility we see Goten with Gine's hair and little older, we could even get to see teen Gotenks too...

Look at how many opportunities this movie is having just by a simple and short timeskip... Can Dragon Ball Super actually and for the first time seize all these great opportunities!?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:20 pm

Seeing Gokuu in new clothes would be nice but I'm not sure if they'd want to bother creating too many separate models. That's the pain of CG, after all, you have to devote a ton more manpower and time if you want to have a lot of unique characters in the product.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm But none of that stops the fact that the character was on obnoxious, whiny, annoying, wouldn't stop shouting and complaining and was useless for most of the show.
You meant Vegeta? That's his description.
Grimlock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:12 pm Just realized that Vegeta and Bulma being on a trip would be a cool way to give Earthling's clothes to Vegeta, as we see him wearing in the tournament (besides neglecting creating an issue with Goku and Bulma not seeing each other in years). And that also reminds me, will we finally see Goku with blue gi? It's high time they changed clothes anyway...
The orange one sells more toys,
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Is it weird the only art for characters we have is Goku (from the trailer), and Piccolo, Pan and Krillin? No art for Gohan? No art for Trunks/Goten?

Is that odd?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:27 pm

I think the teaser is not that bad and actually looks pretty good. For me this is anime Goku as we all know him. 3D or 2D is not the most important to me: it has to look good far and foremost. First part of Super was 2D, and it didn't look too jaw-droppingly stunning according to some people ... Using CGI actually could have a number of advantages (if done right) here:

- It allows more dynamic camera angles for even more vivid battle scenes.

- If the 2D artwork is well integrated (which was not the case with the last 3 films), then it is not disturbing.

- Once the models have been made and they are well received by the general public, it will be possible to produce much more animated content in the shorter term than with 2D. I don't think they will go back to full 2D then. They've invested in that new technology now, and I really think they'll only go back to 2D if it's really poorly received by fans.
Based on this short teaser, we can't conclude whether the full movie will be CGI. But I think it's safe to assume that all major battle scenes will definitely be designed in 3D.

Further:

- The character designs all look ok, Piccolo's house and surroundings are notably stunning in terms of art.

- The Ultraman guys with the guns: It would be funny if these 'super heros' actually saw Goku and the Z-fighters as villains (Goku is no real super hero, so strictly ironical it would fit) and with their beam weapons they could neutralize all of the Saiyans' power-ups and transformations, if they were the antagonists. Surprise us Toriyama, for once don't give us an opponent with an angelic power level, but who uses more intresting weapons and strategy.
Then maybe Pan is just the one who gets to play a major 'protagonist' role at the end? :D

- Piccolo who might get a bigger role: yes please!

- And more slice of life: that's fine by me (Supers anime slice of life wasn't too bad either), but also make sure that it has a role in the broader story, which hopefully will get an overall plot that's refreshing for the franchise.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:46 pm

precita wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm Is it weird the only art for characters we have is Goku (from the trailer), and Piccolo, Pan and Krillin? No art for Gohan? No art for Trunks/Goten?

Is that odd?
They haven't revealed staff or anything else yet so no, it's not weird.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Assuming this movie takes place during or right before Age 784, I’m kind of hoping that means it’ll serve as a finale to the Super era.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:20 pm

I think it's interesting that Granolla and One/Two share similar design elements. I wonder if Toyotaro designed Granolla after getting a sneak-peak at those new characters.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm

precita wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm Is it weird the only art for characters we have is Goku (from the trailer), and Piccolo, Pan and Krillin? No art for Gohan? No art for Trunks/Goten?

Is that odd?
I wouldn't say its weird. They've simply given us very little, likely to not spoil the plot and to encourage interest in the next announcement/trailer.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:31 pm

I'm interested....but

The title is horrible.

I'm all for more Piccolo and Pan if its meaningful and core to the overall story and where they'd like to go with DB. If its a one off with Goku coming to save the day as usual then its a simple "meh" from me. Similar to how Super Broly is........there was potential to make a spin off movie/series with those characters but alas we got nothing new. I would also like some stakes and a moving past EOZ/ aging of characters atleast.

Lastly...the CGI. I wont lie and say I'm not disappointed, specially when the 2d animation in Broly was so damn good! That movie animation wise for the first half was fantastic and something I was hoping DB would stick with. No matter how bad the story telling in Super is ill watch it for that level of animation!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:02 am

Toei does have a history of good CG...just never with Dragon Ball. Hopefully this is the project that changes that.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:02 am Toei does have a history of good CG...just never with Dragon Ball. Hopefully this is the project that changes that.

Hopefully they'll never release Dragon Ball in cgi...

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:18 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:09 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:02 am Toei does have a history of good CG...just never with Dragon Ball. Hopefully this is the project that changes that.

Oh this is gonna age like Milk

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:24 am

There's precedent for cool CG from Toei productions. I'll hold out for this: https://youtu.be/LZ1PDm9bhkA
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:58 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:24 am

There's precedent for cool CG from Toei productions. I'll hold out for this: https://youtu.be/LZ1PDm9bhkA
I've seen people post this and another clip from Pretty Cure. While the models look really good, it's the motion I'm not too keen on. It looks a little stiff, for lack of a better word.

I'm hoping Toei hiring more 3D artists means they're aiming for an improvement in this department as well.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:03 am

:sick:
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm and was useless for most of the show.
Except I gave you reasons why she was not useless. She's a good character for me, so it seems tastes differ. It's not objective ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also haven't found her annoying like at all. GT Pan was written quite nicely in the way she was different to all the other DB kids.

Why would you want her to be a rehash of Goten? All cheerful, agreeing to everything, never having her own opinions? That's how Goten was, he went with the flow and did everything that either Trunks or the adults told him to.