"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm

I don't think they're gonna kill Vegeta off half way through the arc, not after just giving him a new transformation. I'm hoping Granolah and Vegeta beat each other to a standstill after Vegeta unlocks master ultra ego, then the Heeters step in, Granolah realizes Goku and Vegeta were right, Vegeta shares his senzu with Granolah and the three of them team up against the Heeters.

User avatar
Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:52 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm
I don't think they're gonna kill Vegeta off half way through the arc, not after just giving him a new transformation. I'm hoping Granolah and Vegeta beat each other to a standstill after Vegeta unlocks master ultra ego, then the Heeters step in, Granolah realizes Goku and Vegeta were right, Vegeta shares his senzu with Granolah and the three of them team up against the Heeters.
However, i do think Granolah will just flat out say no, since he would fight them himself.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

theherodjl
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:04 am

I wonder what Oatmeel is up to? He seems to be flying away from the battle but it's not clear if he's moving towards Monaito, the Heeters, or even flying off world. I kinda suspect that he could be a double agent but he might also be attempting to do something for Granolah's own good.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5939
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:04 am

Regardless of where it goes, I like the “Don’t die, Vegeta” exchange quite a bit, as I usually do any scene that allows some down-to-earth acknowledgements of comradery between the two of them. Feels honest to the characters. The scene where they’re waiting to face Moro for the second time on Namek (before Merus and Jaco arrive) also comes to mind.

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 3323
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am

I'm just really hoping this chapter moves things forward, we've been watching this fight playout for 4 months straight, which is crazy considering that we're most likely only a quarter of the way through this storyline.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

caire
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:25 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by caire » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am
I'm just really hoping this chapter moves things forward, we've been watching this fight playout for 4 months straight, which is crazy considering that we're most likely only a quarter of the way through this storyline.
Yeah, surely this arc is going to be a lot longer than Moro at this rate. Saganbo and co were attacking the Lookout at around this stage, and that was just under halfway through iirc.

User avatar
Alruneia
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am
I'm just really hoping this chapter moves things forward, we've been watching this fight playout for 4 months straight, which is crazy considering that we're most likely only a quarter of the way through this storyline.
Yeah, this. I mean, I've already expressed that this is my opinion, but still, this. The fighting has been nice and scenic and all for the most part, and I'm happy about that, but it's been so long now. We really need to get to the next part of the arc, whatever that ends up being. We've had the set up and the first confrontation for long enough, let's get to the mid-arc twists already.
People sometimes excuse this kind of pacing with the idea that it'll flow better on a re-read where you have access to all the chapters at once, and I guess there's truth to that, but the DBS manga is released monthly, which means the principal reading speed is one chapter a month, and it needs to be written to match that, not be written in spite of it. Currently with this fight it's starting to feel like the latter is happening. To me, at least.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link (On hiatus. I might cancel it, I'm not sure.)
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm actually enjoying the extended battles, especially with Vegeta, I think they're really well done and I've read through these chapters multiple times. If we get a few more battle chapters I won't complain, but it would be nice to mix some story progression in.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:23 pm
Snip
I think you're probably on to something here, even if Tori/Toyo aren't referencing Daoism specifically.

Vegeta is utilizing Wagamama through taking damage, but that doesn't seem like what Beerus taught him. It looks like Vegeta is using it as a shortcut similar to Goku equating Migatte with a transformation. It works for now because battle and pain invigorate him, but obviously that kind of strategy is not sustainable. If he wants to use Wagamama to beat Granolah - or more importantly, become #1 - he'll have to destroy his past self (possibly literally) and truly live single-mindedly.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am
I'm just really hoping this chapter moves things forward, we've been watching this fight playout for 4 months straight, which is crazy considering that we're most likely only a quarter of the way through this storyline.
Why do people think we're early in the arc? I doubt it. Seems like we're at the halfway point, maybe even later.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3662
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am

Unless the Heeters plan mixes with this battle right now and Freeza/others external factors are ignored, there's too much not to assume this is at best the half of the arc when the fight concludes.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2421
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am
Why do people think we're early in the arc? I doubt it. Seems like we're at the halfway point, maybe even later.
Because the Heeters haven't even done anything relevant yet. Heck, Goku and Vegeta have yet to learn of the other two's existence. We're really just at the beginning. Oatmeel is a completely mysterious entity too.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 am

Xeogran wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am
OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am
Why do people think we're early in the arc? I doubt it. Seems like we're at the halfway point, maybe even later.
Because the Heeters haven't even done anything relevant yet. Heck, Goku and Vegeta have yet to learn of the other two's existence. We're really just at the beginning. Oatmeel is a completely mysterious entity too.
The Heeters are about to do their plan. A switch to new villains at the halfway point isn't that strange

We had this big long battle with Granolah, I doubt this is still just the intro. The intro was focused on building up Granolah, then a big battle, then the intrusion. Also we're supposed to be a big name drop/reveal this chapter, which is a perfect middle point

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1873
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 am
Xeogran wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am
OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am
Why do people think we're early in the arc? I doubt it. Seems like we're at the halfway point, maybe even later.
Because the Heeters haven't even done anything relevant yet. Heck, Goku and Vegeta have yet to learn of the other two's existence. We're really just at the beginning. Oatmeel is a completely mysterious entity too.
The Heeters are about to do their plan. A switch to new villains at the halfway point isn't that strange

We had this big long battle with Granolah, I doubt this is still just the intro. The intro was focused on building up Granolah, then a big battle, then the intrusion. Also we're supposed to be a big name drop/reveal this chapter, which is a perfect middle point
I have no idea where we are in the story. We could move on to Freeza, or we might not. For reference, the beginning of the Moro arc to the end of the battle on Namek was chapter 42 to 50 (9 chapters). The Granolah arc started chapter 67, so chapter 76 will be 10 chapters. The entire Moro arc was 26 chapters. Super arcs have varied greatly in number of chapters, but I think the Moro arc is the best point of comparison in the post-anime era.
Last edited by batistabus on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2421
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 am
The Heeters are about to do their plan. A switch to new villains at the halfway point isn't that strange

We had this big long battle with Granolah, I doubt this is still just the intro. The intro was focused on building up Granolah, then a big battle, then the intrusion. Also we're supposed to be a big name drop/reveal this chapter, which is a perfect middle point
There is still a whole lot we have to learn about them, same for the characters in the series. Their plan probably won't be a short one either. Granolah will probably face Gas for 1-2 chapters, then the good guys, then Elec will do his thing, because I believe he will become a fighter himself later on.

There's also Toyotaro's interview, which claimed the planning for this took even longer than for Moro's.

Q: What can we look forward to with the "Survivor Granola arc"?
A: This time the planning took even longer than for the last story arc, but it was worth it because Toriyama-sensei wrote a great original draft. I can't say what the story's about yet, but there will be plenty of twists and new revelations to get everyone excited. Things are going to heat up hotter than ever before, so be sure to check it out!

Jinto
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:16 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jinto » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 am
OLKv3 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 am
The Heeters are about to do their plan. A switch to new villains at the halfway point isn't that strange

We had this big long battle with Granolah, I doubt this is still just the intro. The intro was focused on building up Granolah, then a big battle, then the intrusion. Also we're supposed to be a big name drop/reveal this chapter, which is a perfect middle point
There is still a whole lot we have to learn about them, same for the characters in the series. Their plan probably won't be a short one either. Granolah will probably face Gas for 1-2 chapters, then the good guys, then Elec will do his thing, because I believe he will become a fighter himself later on.

There's also Toyotaro's interview, which claimed the planning for this took even longer than for Moro's.

Q: What can we look forward to with the "Survivor Granola arc"?
A: This time the planning took even longer than for the last story arc, but it was worth it because Toriyama-sensei wrote a great original draft. I can't say what the story's about yet, but there will be plenty of twists and new revelations to get everyone excited. Things are going to heat up hotter than ever before, so be sure to check it out!
Twist ?
Is it meant as a plot twist/shocking revelation or is it just a marketing word ? Because apart from the new dragon, there was no real twist so far.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2421
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Jinto wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:35 pm
Twist ?
Is it meant as a plot twist/shocking revelation or is it just a marketing word ? Because apart from the new dragon, there was no real twist so far.
And that's why this arc has a long way to go :P

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 pm

I have a feeling this will be one of the longest story arcs in the entire franchise and will continue until the new movie is released next year. We've probably got another 6-8 months to go. So far we've only seen bits of Granolah's background, his motivation for becoming the strongest and his fight with Goku and Vegeta. We still need the Heeters to get involved in the action, the secret behind Oatmeal to be revealed, Freeza's involvement and who knows what else. I'm hoping they delve deeper into Namekian lore during this arc as well.

User avatar
redon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by redon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Dragon Ball Super chapter 76 summary that I can share with you :wink:

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14610
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Yoooo, we're going to get to see the beginning of Bardock's arc from Movie #20! Hell yeah!
She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Post Reply