"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 pm

Maybe special mecha-type techniques? I don't watch much mecha, but I read Magetta's pun-name is based off two famous robots, so maybe it's a skill the one of those two have?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Maybe "Super Super" was a typo? Since it's written once in kanji and once in katakana in the summary, maybe it just printed wrong. Or if it was intentional, for the first time in Dragon Ball, is the kanji actually being pronounced "chou" in this case, so he becomes a "Chou Super Saiyan"? Could this be their solution to the ungodly long title of "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan", and from now on it'll be called "Super Super Saiyan"? (but that only sounds marginally less ridiculous than the name it already has, and I'd much prefer they just use Super Saiyan Blue instead :P). The reduntantly redundant name is already all over tons of merchandise, though...

I think having Boo, Gokuu, and Piccolo out early in the tournament is just means to put "our" side at a clear disadvantage to overcome. It's currently 2 vs. 4, so the odds clearly seemed stacked against Universe 7, but shounen spirit can overcome anything! (though with Toriyama involved, there's really no guarantee our universe will win). Obviously I'm a biased fangirl, but I'm pleased to see Vegeta get so many fights. Yeah, maybe he was a bit of a dick to Piccolo by cutting in (though I still believe Piccolo wouldn't have accepted stepping down if he felt he was still in good enough condition to fight). Even if him having (at least) three fights seems like overkill, we know the first one will be a quick beatdown, so that hardly counts as him having a real fight. Then he can have his first true victory in the tournament against Magetta, and move on to the teased Saiyan vs. Saiyan showdown against Cabba. Him winning that match as well would probably be a bit much, since then he'd get four fights, so I'd rather see him lose to Cabba. Then Monaka takes out Cabba and goes to the finale against Hit. That seems like the most interesting matchup, since it's a fight between two new characters, so we have no clue what either of them are capable of. Honestly, even though I could see there being arguments to let Gokuu back into the tournament since he lost due to cheating, I'd rather that not happen. Let a couple of new faces get a chance to show their stuff! Besides, if Hit turns out to be some sort of villain, Gokuu will probably fight him later anyway, and in a much higher stakes non-tournament environment.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 am

Chuquita wrote:Maybe special mecha-type techniques? I don't watch much mecha, but I read Magetta's pun-name is based off two famous robots, so maybe it's a skill the one of those two have?
I believe Magetta's name is based off Mazinger Z and Getter Robo, Both are creations of Go Nagai, the former is responsible for single handedly redefining/revolutionizing not only the Mecha genre but giving raise to the Super Robot sub Genre. The latter, Nagai co-created with Ken Ishikawa whose work (a lot of it being Getter Robo.) would go on to inspire the likes of Gurren Lagann.

With the big chest windows of lava Magetta has, I'm sure he will have an attack that pays homage to Mazinger's Breast Fire attack or he'll just use the famous Rocket Punch which Mazinger coined. Maybe he'll even have something like the Getter Beam but outside of that...I kinda don't see how Magetta's body could really pull a lot of their respective moves off, even in a tribute like since. Though I'd actually find it cool if he's like Getter Robo, three separate machines that combine in different formations to give different power sets, I could see Magetta dodging Vegeta by performing something like Open Get.

As for Vegeta, I'm wondering if he's gonna pull something like Super Vegeta Blue, it'd be a neat idea and give him something a little more unique.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 am

Wezenheim wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Sintzu... You know you're one of THOSE kind of Vegeta fanboys that everyone complains about, right? Sorry, but it's true.
No need to be rude, this comment is uncalled for.
There's no polite way to say it.

Besides, this is a guy who demands that Vegeta gets all the screen time and then mocks Piccolo fans for being upset by last episode. Why should I be polite to someone who is not polite?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:31 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:Sintzu... You know you're one of THOSE kind of Vegeta fanboys that everyone complains about, right? Sorry, but it's true.

Besides, this is a guy who demands that Vegeta gets all the screen time and then mocks Piccolo fans for being upset by last episode. Why should I be polite to someone who is not polite?
Cause an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, two wrongs don't make a right, ya get the picture. Just cause someone else may be acting rude, doesn't mean that you are given free reign to be rude in return. If you think someone is being disruptive, rude, or dickish, report them. Let the mods handle them, we don't need batmen, we need Commissioner Gordans for this sort of thing.

Apologies if this comes off as mini modding, just...yeah, I think it needed to be said. Have a nice night.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:37 am

Bitch please. I'm the ninja this forum deserves. And definitely the one it needs right now. 8)

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:54 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:

What voltunok said. I'll admit that I haven't been paying a ton of attention to the thread, but I've seen people from both sides bashing each other, and after a while it just kind of registers as white noise on the screen. I'm sure Sintzu isn't totally innocent, but even so, singling him out and whatnot doesn't make you any better than him. There are plenty of nice or civil ways to debate with each other.

This isn't really my place though, and perhaps I never should have said anything to begin with. It's just sad to see people bicker and call each other names about such a silly thing, and I hate to see that here. I will leave it at that though.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 am

sintzu wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:The Vegeta wank continues.

I'm willing to bet 200$ that Toei changed Toriyama's script to accommodate him going on a 2 win streak at least
You should get used to it, he's the 2nd main character which means he's going to get a lot of screen time.

This would be another GT if Toie had their way with the script.

Why can't you just accept that Toriyama likes using Vegeta in his story ? He had a major role in all of Z so I don't get why this is so surprising to some people.
The problem isn't him getting spotlight, he's my 2nd fav character in the series. The problem is him being needlessly wanked the last three arcs. For some reason, he is the one to notice a fighter's weakness way before everybody else, he magically gets stronger than SSj3 through some rage boost, he trains first with Whis when Toriyama specifically said he followed Goku, he's way too abrasive when everything after he fused with Goku during the Buu arc is supposed to have changed that, its just wanking in general, its not natural for his character at all. Of course, Toriyama scripted the rage boost and him "not getting along" with Goku (even though everything after the Potara comes into play is supposed to not let that happen), but subtle things like Vegeta kicking Goku away when saving him from Freeza or catching him in his hands like some bridesmaid after he loses to Beerus or him pushing Goku down when they are in spacesuits when they meet Champa and Vados make him out to be this superior asshole to everyone else when that simply isn't true, its just Toei riding his nuts as always for the last 30~ w/e episodes. Its so obvious too as Goku's loss to Frost should've been rescinded under any sane martial arts competition, but nope, lets forget that and give Vegeta the "spotlight he's never had".
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:37 am

SaiyanZ wrote:he trains first with Whis when Toriyama specifically said he followed Goku
If we take everything Toriyama replies in interviews as canon for future developments, then SSGSS should never be blue because he ruled it out for looking weak.

The rest sounds like another case of 'blame everything i don't like on Toei, even though i have no idea", including the recent development that almost certainly was in Toriyama's script.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:46 am

I have noticed Vegeta's had this impressive turnaround of good luck in Super and I partly feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop because in Z whenever Vegeta would have something good happen for him, something bad always followed. I guess his "Let's have a paper test - Buu doesn't pass" counts, but he hasn't really paid for that (yet). He'd have to make a bigger mistake, and as a result for something even more grandly horrible to happen in response to Vegeta making said bigger mistake.

I also have a joke theory that all of Super is Vegeta having a fever dream after passing out in the gravity room (explaining away things like why Goten and Trunks aren't getting older, why Marron seems younger, why Videl and Buu are acting different, why Chi-Chi suddenly thinks Vegeta's a good influence on Gokû, why Vegeta's suddenly taller with better luck/skill and most importantly why Gokû's not only finally paying attention to him, but admiring and complimenting him any chance he gets) and at some point Vegeta's gonna wake up in bed to see Bulma overjoyed that he's finally awake and her telling Vegeta he'd been in a coma for the past 2 months after training too hard and we're back at immediate post-Buu-arc times. Vegeta gets out of bed and is dismayed to learn he's 5'4 again and not actually a blueper saiyan god and that Kakarrotto's not actually intensely interested in training with him. Cue time-skip to EoZ. The end? It is a joke theory, but I did put thought into it.
Last edited by Chuquita on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:47 am

alakazam^ wrote:
Seriously, FUCK TOEI ANIMATION. They wasted tons of screen time with the stupid Pilaf gang in the BoG arc (even dedicating an entire episode to them), wasted almost an entire episode with a pointless Janken gag with Oolong, dragged the SSJG ritual for (again) an entire episode, made a pointless recap episode showing flashbacks of events that had literally happened in the previous episode, Bulma and Jaco visit to Zuno's planet was stretched throughout 20 minutes (whereas in the manga it was like 5 pages), and when we FINALLY reach the tournament fights - which is supposed to be the "main dish" of this arc (you know, the arc that propelled this new series to be created in the first place) and has been the most promoted and hyped up event since like October - Toei rushes everything, and can't be bothered to make a fight last more than 5 minutes because they clearly want to get over with it as fast as possible so they can go back to make entire episodes dedicated to food gags, Janken or other silly non-sense.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some comedy and slice-of-life in my DB, but in Super it's overkill. Super basically consists of 75% slice-of-life and gags and only about 25% action and fighting. Not even original DB was like this. NOT EVEN FUCKING GT WAS LIKE THIS.

The only fight Super did right so far is SSJG Goku vs Beerus (it's still the highlight of the entire show for me). It had the right length, decent animation and great choreography. I'm not hard to please, Toei only needed to replicate the formula of that fight for the rest of the major fights and I would be more than happy with it.

I went to check the length of the matches of 21st/22nd/23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and most of them have much longer length than the fights in Super's tournament. Most of the semi-final and final matches lasted between half an hour and 1 hour, with the longest match being Goku vs Piccolo Jr. lasting 1 hour and half. Goku vs Botamo, Goku vs Frost and Piccolo vs Frost all lasted less than 5 minutes, even a gag fight like Kuririn vs Bacterian was longer than that. Pathetic.

Slow-paced fights are much more effective in building suspense. This is one of the reasons I didn't like Kai. Fast pacing may work in manga format but not with the anime.

It feels like Toei became traumatized by the Episode 5 incident and now every time they have to animate a fight scene they panic and try to abridge it as much as possible.

Even if there's more stuff to come after this tournament, I can't forgive Toei for having their priorities all messed up: there's no excuses for making these tournament fights having shorter length than non-sense like Oolong Janken or a food gag. Even Uranai Baba tourney fights were longer and this was back when DB was still mainly an adventure manga and not a full battle shounen yet.

/rant
Last edited by Kakarotto92 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 am

Chuquita wrote:I have noticed Vegeta's had this impressive turnaround of good luck in Super and I partly feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop because in Z whenever Vegeta would have something good happen for him, something bad always followed.
In BOG he got a rage boost that put him above Goku then he got one shotted by Beerus.

In RF he finally defeated Freeza then got the planet blown up on him.

In the tournament he tried to get a few U6 members kicked out but instead got one of his own kicked out.

He has better luck then he did in Z but I don't know if I'd call it good and if he gets 3 wins then Hit's probably going to break every bone in his body.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:27 am

Araki wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:he trains first with Whis when Toriyama specifically said he followed Goku
If we take everything Toriyama replies in interviews as canon for future developments, then SSGSS should never be blue because he ruled it out for looking weak.

The rest sounds like another case of 'blame everything i don't like on Toei, even though i have no idea", including the recent development that almost certainly was in Toriyama's script.
I think its very much in Toriyama's realm of logic to take what he thinks looks weak and make it strong, so I don't have a problem with that. I also agree because of Toriyama's forgetfulness and how some things change that all his statements shouldn't be taken as word of God despite him being the creator, but that sounds like something Toriyama would write anyway. I'm 99% sure Toriyama wouldn't have Vegeta bully Goku like that either, or at least just have Goku take it like some pansy.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:36 am

Sorry to hit your roadblock but could Frost have his own henchmen since he is a space pirate? Much like Freeza's soldiers named after fruits/vegetables/dairy/seafood/salad, I wonder what's Frost's soldiers naming scheme is maybe meat or cheese types?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 am

My headcanon is that Frost has an older brother who acts the exact way Frost pretended to ask

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 am

For those who are complaining about the pacing, I wouldn't jump the gun too fast. I'm convinced this tournament is not the main plot of the current arc, i'm pretty sure of it.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:28 am

Hit!! wrote:For those who are complaining about the pacing, I wouldn't jump the gun too fast. I'm convinced this tournament is not the main plot of the current arc, i'm pretty sure of it.
I agree. I get the feeling that this tournament is an introduction to something much bigger, similar to the start of the Buu Arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:09 am

TekTheNinja wrote:There's no polite way to say it.

Because the forum rules ask that everyone be polite and respectful towards each other.

Even aside from that, it's called "being the bigger person." The mature and civil thing to do is to resist stooping to the level of a troublemaker. In the modern world, most places no longer abide by "eye for an eye" laws and instead charge both parties with the crime. Even for kids, parents or teachers often punish both kids regardless of who "started it."
TekTheNinja wrote:Bitch please. I'm the ninja this forum deserves. And definitely the one it needs right now. 8)
But if you (or anyone else) are not interested in having reasonable discussions, we may start issuing account strikes, which ultimately add up to bans.
-Rachel

ssj_duelist
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj_duelist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:01 am

All this whining about Piccolo and Vegeta is pathetic. Who cares?

It's entertaining to watch, stop **** fighting over which character you like the most. It's not like anyone is out of character or there are power level plotholes. It all makes sense.

I'm interested to see how Cabba defeats Vegeta, and it looks like for this whole arc Champa and Vados won't see that Goku and Vegeta have mastered God Ki.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:13 am

ssj_duelist wrote:All this whining about Piccolo and Vegeta is pathetic. Who cares?

It's entertaining to watch, stop **** fighting over which character you like the most. It's not like anyone is out of character or there are power level plotholes. It all makes sense.

I'm interested to see how Cabba defeats Vegeta, and it looks like for this whole arc Champa and Vados won't see that Goku and Vegeta have mastered God Ki.
Its not entertaining when one character gets a lot more screen time than others. Frost gets 3 and now Vegeta gets at least 3 is just to many when it is 4 vs 5.