"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21105
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Zombie wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Goku beats Hit. Non-Saiyan either don't fight in this tournament (Buu/Monaka) or get humiliated (Piccolo).
It was 2 vs 5 since the beginning. Misleading promotion.
Well at least in the anime Piccolo has one of the best fights of the tournament.

Toei cared and respected him. Toriyama simply didn't.
Actually, given that in a recent interview it's stated Toyatoro is given a great amount leeway to do his own thing when it comes to the manga adaptation of Toriyama's original story draft for Super, so you could arguably say that anime is a more faithful adaptation of Toriyama's original plot for the show.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Zombie wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Goku beats Hit. Non-Saiyan either don't fight in this tournament (Buu/Monaka) or get humiliated (Piccolo).
It was 2 vs 5 since the beginning. Misleading promotion.
Well at least in the anime Piccolo has one of the best fights of the tournament.

Toei cared and respected him. Toriyama simply didn't.
Actually, given that in a recent interview it's stated Toyatoro is given a great amount leeway to do his own thing when it comes to the manga adaptation of Toriyama's original story draft for Super, you could arguably saw that anime is a more faithful adaptation of Toriyama's original plot for the show.
But Toriyama comments on looking at Toyotaro's story board, and approving them and his decisions. If anything I think he might be the one he supports over the anime.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Zombie wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Goku beats Hit. Non-Saiyan either don't fight in this tournament (Buu/Monaka) or get humiliated (Piccolo).
It was 2 vs 5 since the beginning. Misleading promotion.
Well at least in the anime Piccolo has one of the best fights of the tournament.

Toei cared and respected him. Toriyama simply didn't.
Actually, given that in a recent interview it's stated Toyatoro is given a great amount leeway to do his own thing when it comes to the manga adaptation of Toriyama's original story draft for Super, you could arguably saw that anime is a more faithful adaptation of Toriyama's original plot for the show.
Doesn't Toyatoro send the drafts to Toriyama for approval?

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Noah wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I would like it if they stop trying to treat the openings and endings as something different with showing off a big cast, and instead just cut to what we're really getting. The most accurate part was Goku and Vegeta's aura's covering everyone else. Which is unintentionally really funny.
That was one of the best things said in this forum in a while, I mean is so annoying that Super tries to delivery such a false message do such with endings showing a lot of characters like they could be revelant again, I mean we all know that they won't.
The opening and endings show a lot of characters not because they are relevant but because they are part of the "Dragon Ball" family. You're just misinterpreting their presence like it was supposed to mean something more, even though nothing ever suggested it.

And the aura doesn't cover everyone, they are perfectly visible.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21105
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:13 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:But Toriyama comments on looking at Toyotaro's story board, and approving them and his decisions. If anything I think he might be the one he supports over the anime.
To be fair, Toryama has a very laid back approach to Dragon Ball, and welcomes really any kind of reinterpretation of his original work/story. The only times I can recall where he's spoken out against such a scenario was with Dragon Ball Evolution and Toei making Goku more heroic in the anime. I think Toriyama is just content with how both the anime and manga are panning out.

User avatar
ssj_duelist
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:11 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ssj_duelist » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Akira Toriyama REALLY does not care about canon.

You want the anime to be canon? It's canon.

You want the manga to be canon? It's canon.

There's no official canon, it's a simple as that.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Cetra » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:43 pm

After Toriyama-san's comment Toyble should go wild no one should ever bring a comment again about "but only Toriyama-san".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:But Toriyama comments on looking at Toyotaro's story board, and approving them and his decisions. If anything I think he might be the one he supports over the anime.
To be fair, Toryama has a very laid back approach to Dragon Ball, and welcomes really any kind of reinterpretation of his original work/story. The only times I can recall where he's spoken out against such a scenario was with Dragon Ball Evolution and Toei making Goku more heroic in the anime. I think Toriyama is just content with how both the anime and manga are panning out.
He talked about Super's quality too. He's genuinely positive about Toyotaro and doesn't really have any of that praise for the anime. At least not yet at least. Even still the manga advertises the anime, so it could be seen that way.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by fexus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Just read the interview. It seems like Toriyama does supervise the anime production too. That's good of him to actually help out.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Zombie wrote: Well at least in the anime Piccolo has one of the best fights of the tournament.

Toei cared and respected him. Toriyama simply didn't.
Actually, given that in a recent interview it's stated Toyatoro is given a great amount leeway to do his own thing when it comes to the manga adaptation of Toriyama's original story draft for Super, so you could arguably say that anime is a more faithful adaptation of Toriyama's original plot for the show.
I said this in the thread earlier regarding this, so I'll just quote myself.
Toyotaros ideas are probably just little bits expanding on Toriyamas plot otherwise it would be strange for Toriyama to later say "I bet it'll make it more interesting to include Toyotaro-sensei's ideas" if they were much more than that. Either way we know that Toriyama checks the manga so he's going to know what Toyotaros added, and it also means Toyotaros got the Toriyama seal of approval, but we don't know how involved Toriyama is with the anime. Obviously we don't know for sure which is more faithful to Toriyamas original story, but it seems like the anime has added a lot more story than the manga overall, so personally I'd guess the manga has stayed more faithful.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21105
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:54 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:But Toriyama comments on looking at Toyotaro's story board, and approving them and his decisions. If anything I think he might be the one he supports over the anime.
To be fair, Toryama has a very laid back approach to Dragon Ball, and welcomes really any kind of reinterpretation of his original work/story. The only times I can recall where he's spoken out against such a scenario was with Dragon Ball Evolution and Toei making Goku more heroic in the anime. I think Toriyama is just content with how both the anime and manga are panning out.
He talked about Super's quality too. He's genuinely positive about Toyotaro and doesn't really have any of that praise for the anime. At least not yet at least. Even still the manga advertises the anime, so it could be seen that way.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about how he commented on complaining about the Super anime. But for what it's worth it's proof he's close tabs on both the anime and manga. So really, it seems as though Toyatoro and Toei and being supervised by the main man himself in regards to Super.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:He talked about Super's quality too. He's genuinely positive about Toyotaro and doesn't really have any of that praise for the anime. At least not yet at least. Even still the manga advertises the anime, so it could be seen that way.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about how he commented on complaining about the Super anime. But for what it's worth it's proof he's close tabs on both the anime and manga. So really, it seems as though Toyatoro and Toei and being supervised by the main man himself in regards to Super.
And that's a very good thing. He seemed to mention he did the same for the anime, but he seemed much easier pleased with Toyotaro. He said he'd mention something if he wanted it change, but seemed mostly if not always satisfied by Toyotaro.
Toriyama:
You’re really good at composition! It looks so cool; these days there’s no way I could draw such energetic artwork! Whenever I supervise anime and whatnot, there’s always something that bugs me and that I’ll ask to have fixed. But when I look at your storyboards, I can just take it easy. I can give it the OK in no time flat; it really makes things convenient (laughs).
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 2313
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:He talked about Super's quality too. He's genuinely positive about Toyotaro and doesn't really have any of that praise for the anime. At least not yet at least. Even still the manga advertises the anime, so it could be seen that way.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about how he commented on complaining about the Super anime. But for what it's worth it's proof he's close tabs on both the anime and manga. So really, it seems as though Toyatoro and Toei and being supervised by the main man himself in regards to Super.
And that's a very good thing. He seemed to mention he did the same for the anime, but he seemed much easier pleased with Toyotaro. He said he'd mention something if he wanted it change, but seemed mostly if not always satisfied by Toyotaro.
It was Toyotaro's manga release, he had to be nice to him.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: And that's a very good thing. He seemed to mention he did the same for the anime, but he seemed much easier pleased with Toyotaro. He said he'd mention something if he wanted it change, but seemed mostly if not always satisfied by Toyotaro.
It was Toyotaro's manga release, he had to be nice to him.
He said with the anime something always bugged him, but the manga he was very pleased with. That's pretty clear cut. Toyotaro's story boards fit more to his liking than the anime's at least first attempt. After the fixes he requests, then who knows since it's on a tighter schedule.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5448
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

- Finally read Toriyama/Toyotaro interview-

Toyotaro was really humble. It's good to have him with us.
Someone must tell Toriyama that it's time to make Goten/Trunks/Marron older and Bra must born.

The part about the future character was confusing.

Book version:
Toriyama: I’ve got an idea for a story about the “future” of “a certain somebody”. And I’m thinking of combining that together with a new “universe”. It’ll be simple enough for kids to enjoy… hopefully (laughs)
Web version:
Toyotarō: I’ve read the plot for the new story, and I’m really happy a certain future-related character is going to be involved. I’m a huge fan!
Toriyama: That’s a pretty popular character! Hopefully the kids will be happy.
Kinda vague. It's hard to understand what they meant here.
I would love Gohan coming back , after all the foreshadowing we had about he having the biggest potential and obvious lack of training.
I'm not interested in bring back Future Trunks again, when nobody from U7 main timeline besides Goku/Vegeta is getting developed. It would also only overshadow kid Trunks too.

Franky I would be more interested in seeing what Toriyama would do with Uub, than Future Trunks at this point.
Goku gettting Uub under his wing, while vegeta gets Cabba would be cool.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 2313
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:09 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: And that's a very good thing. He seemed to mention he did the same for the anime, but he seemed much easier pleased with Toyotaro. He said he'd mention something if he wanted it change, but seemed mostly if not always satisfied by Toyotaro.
It was Toyotaro's manga release, he had to be nice to him.
He said with the anime something always bugged him, but the manga he was very pleased with. That's pretty clear cut. Toyotaro's story boards fit more to his liking than the anime's at least first attempt. After the fixes he requests, then who knows since it's on a tighter schedule.
Ok?
Manga is still useless imo, since it's not by Toriyama and it's a monthly promotion for the anime.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:He said with the anime something always bugged him, but the manga he was very pleased with. That's pretty clear cut. Toyotaro's story boards fit more to his liking than the anime's at least first attempt. After the fixes he requests, then who knows since it's on a tighter schedule.
Ok?
Manga is still useless imo, since it's not by Toriyama and it's a monthly promotion for the anime.
The manga and anime are both taking from his story. He supervises both. Only one he's actually fully pleased with, while the other, not so much. He's not just doing the anime and the manga is just it's own thing. He's part of both.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 2313
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:12 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:He said with the anime something always bugged him, but the manga he was very pleased with. That's pretty clear cut. Toyotaro's story boards fit more to his liking than the anime's at least first attempt. After the fixes he requests, then who knows since it's on a tighter schedule.
Ok?
Manga is still useless imo, since it's not by Toriyama and it's a monthly promotion for the anime.
The manga and anime are both taking from his story. He supervises both. Only one he's actually fully pleased with, while the other, not so much. He's not just doing the anime and the manga is just it's own thing. He's part of both.
My "imo" still stands.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13036
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:My "imo" still stands.
Fair enough. The manga is held back as a promotion and really I think should have been the main and only product. In small quantity it's already more entertaining than the anime, and if it was given the full go ahead to tell the full story, it'd be much greater.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5448
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote: Manga is still useless imo, since it's not by Toriyama and it's a monthly promotion for the anime.
In the beginning it was only that. But the manga version grew up and become much more.

It started to have a monthly size (which is something that should have since the beginning) and it's own fanbase. Even thought it skipped ROF arc, people reading only the manga will still understand what's going on.

The main point still stands. It's still promotion for the anime yeah, but it's not only that anymore.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Post Reply