"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Araki » Sun May 01, 2016 11:55 am

Noah wrote:
[Yamamuro] Historically, in the arc Buu, he transforms into Super Saiyan 3 ... And about Super Saiyan God, it appears in the Resurrection 'F'.And after that appears DBGT and Super Saiyan 4
So that basically confirms that Super Saiyan 4 is the Ultimate Saiyan transformation above both Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
Lol, no. That's not what he was saying at all.

The (really dumb) interviewer was asking him why we couldn't see SSJ4 in Super. Then Yamamuro explained him that SSJ4 is a different transformation that belongs in a separate series that they see as a spin-off, and will remain there. If anything, it sounded like he was politely discrediting GT as non-canon, as he singles it out for not being written by Toriyama.
Besides, Yamamuro would have no saying whatsoever over power levels and such, he's not a writer.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 pm

orco05 wrote:Here is the Dragon Ball World Hierarchy based on the latest Announcements and episodes of Super and all the Dragon Ball history as we know it.

Full quality image:

http://postimg.org/image/vonlmxrz5/full/
Cool. Though I'm sure King Emma ranks lower than the Kais.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Noah wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:This isn't like X-Men where they deliberately did their best to erase X-3 from happening.
How so?
Because they aren't trying to unmake GT. If they were, they'd have events happen during it's time frame and put an end to it. Also it wasn't just X-3 that died out. The entire trilogy was wiped from canon. Though people will still clamor to side story as an excuse to discredit something they don't like. Typical.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

FuriusMarius

Post by FuriusMarius » Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Is very clear that GT is a Spin-off... they already make too much steps far away from Gt in Super. Whis, Beerus, the multiverse, Kibitoshin, the SSG, Golden Freezer... In Gt appears Cooler a bad guy just from the movies...

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun May 01, 2016 1:13 pm

FuriusMarius wrote:Is very clear that GT is a Spin-off... they already make too much steps far away from Gt in Super. Whis, Beerus, the multiverse, Kibitoshin, the SSG, Golden Freezer... In Gt appears Cooler a bad guy just from the movies...
And like dbzfan7 and I said, all of that can easily be undone, explained away or fully explained, because the series isn't over. Nothing is truly set in stone until Super ends, till then its still liquid and flowing. Also, like others and myself have pointed out, Cooler being there really doesn't mean anything. He's very clearly an easter egg put in by the animators since that is the only scene in the entire hell breakout event that Cooler shows up in.

Minor Edit! Hell if you want a fun time, you can actually use Super to explain some things in GT, such as Gohan apparently trained leading up to GT and yet he was still kinda weak, well you can use the recent stuff in Super (Gohan going back to training.) to explain stuff like that. Since if he continues all the way through EoZ and into the GT timeline, then there ya go. Just a fun silly thought.

The main take away from that discussion though is again, the fact anyone at Toei is talking about GT makes some people happy. It's not shunned or treated like the spawn of satan (The real one not Mr Satan.) by Toei like some think they do.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 01, 2016 1:19 pm

I was wondering... What If U6's Earth is Real World Earth? :shock:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun May 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Noah wrote:I was wondering... What If U6's Earth is Real World Earth? :shock:
I'm kinda expecting this a little...or at least a dialed back version of Dragon World that's a little stricter on some things in the power department.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:42 pm

voltlunok wrote:
FuriusMarius wrote:Is very clear that GT is a Spin-off... they already make too much steps far away from Gt in Super. Whis, Beerus, the multiverse, Kibitoshin, the SSG, Golden Freezer... In Gt appears Cooler a bad guy just from the movies...
And like dbzfan7 and I said, all of that can easily be undone, explained away or fully explained, because the series isn't over. Nothing is truly set in stone until Super ends, till then its still liquid and flowing. Also, like others and myself have pointed out, Cooler being there really doesn't mean anything. He's very clearly an easter egg put in by the animators since that is the only scene in the entire hell breakout event that Cooler shows up in.

Minor Edit! Hell if you want a fun time, you can actually use Super to explain some things in GT, such as Gohan apparently trained leading up to GT and yet he was still kinda weak, well you can use the recent stuff in Super (Gohan going back to training.) to explain stuff like that. Since if he continues all the way through EoZ and into the GT timeline, then there ya go. Just a fun silly thought.

The main take away from that discussion though is again, the fact anyone at Toei is talking about GT makes some people happy. It's not shunned or treated like the spawn of satan (The real one not Mr Satan.) by Toei like some think they do.
Exactly this. It even can explain some things in GT too. Like I said people just want excuses to write off something they don't like. Super was an adaptation of the movies Toriyama wrote, so I guess there goes most of Super right? Besides do you pick the toei product version, or the Toriyama movie version. One step further we have TWO endings to Z. One with or without the cloud. Both by Toriyama.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 pm

orco05 wrote:Here is the Dragon Ball World Hierarchy based on the latest Announcements and episodes of Super and all the Dragon Ball history as we know it.

Full quality image:

Galactic King?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Full quality image:

Is that image official??
Or just one of those fanmade ones over on facebook?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Full quality image:

Only missing Kaioshin of Time and probably Akira Toriyama. But cool image, nonetheless.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun May 01, 2016 2:32 pm

Speedster wrote:I didn't see any scene in GT where Goku turn into SSJ2. Some speculate he did against Rildo - same guys are saying that Gohan did not transform into SSJ2 against Dabra as there were no sparks. And for all we know SSJ3 could have been like what Super did with the Kaioken. Besides here we are not talking about Toriyama. We are talking about Toei's continuation of the story past the EoZ in case Super doesn't do it. And from the interview it is apparent that GT is still fitting in the continuity of the main timeline. As long as they believe so they can make it work no matter what some fans say.
Toei is following Toriyama's lead here though. Unless Toei's staff go out of their way to change Toriyama's ending or later arcs to connect things to GT, it won't.
voltlunok wrote:
The Dragon Fist clearly isn't a cameo though.
voltlunok wrote:And like dbzfan7 and I said, all of that can easily be undone, explained away or fully explained, because the series isn't over. Nothing is truly set in stone until Super ends, till then its still liquid and flowing.
There were many people using that exact same argument even after Revival F though, when technically things were "done" for a while, before we got news about Super.

Really, I don't even get why you people draw a line in the sand with the end of Z or reference a "GT time period". The GT tv show itself never establishes how long it has been since Z, that's only mentioned in reference books. If all the contradictions that exist up to this point still get that weird quote from Toei's staff, there's nothing stopping them, or fans like you, from saying the same thing even if Super goes past the end of Z and contradicts GT set up even more. "All of that can easily be undone, explained away or fully explained"? That excuse can be basically used for anything. What matters here is whether you really think Super itself, rather than fan theories, will end up going out of its way to set up GT.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: This isn't like X-Men where they deliberately did their best to erase X-3 from happening.
You could say GT is like the 3D era Mortal Kombat games to the newer games now instead. Where it's no longer really relevant to the story and the series move on from it. I think some people want GT to be ignore for good because it was a bad show. Even something is bad than the franchise completely ignores it like most franchises do. I still find it hard to connect the two despite what the interview says going by what happen in the story so far. Even Xenoverse views GT as a alternate reality. Personality I don't view GT and Super canon the manga, but I do view them as separate timelines though.
Speedster wrote:That's debatable to begin with
It still won't make any sense to fuse again even if there is a new threat around since Kaioshin and Kibito were never really fighters to begin with. They know that they have Goku and the others to project the Universe from danger. Also Goku said in GT that he has not seen Kibitoshin and Elder Kaioshin since they defeated Buu and yet Goku saw them a few years later. You could say the same for Bluma's comment, but so far they have not reach beyond Age 779.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: This isn't like X-Men where they deliberately did their best to erase X-3 from happening.
You could say GT is like the 3D era Mortal Kombat games to the newer games now instead. Where it's no longer really relevant to the story and the series move on from it. I think some people want GT to be ignore for good because it was a bad show. Even something is bad than the franchise completely ignores it like most franchises do. I still find it hard to connect the two despite what the interview says going by what happen in the story so far. Even Xenoverse views GT as a alternate reality. Personality I don't view GT and Super canon the manga, but I do view them as separate timelines though.
It isn't relevant because Super takes place before it as well as before the end of the series itself. Of course it isn't relevant to the current series. The series takes place before Z ends. Even with MK the original trilogy also never happened either now so that argument can be used against the original trilogy as well as the 3D games. Hell the 3D games even are having elements from them still being used to this day. So they aren't just gone. Even characters from those eras are still living on, or at least referenced.

Like I said people are simply looking for any excuse they can to write off GT, despite the fact it's not at all frowned upon, and is still used to this day. Because it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Super had a horrendous start before it got better, and became an online joke that even the studio took notice of. There's plenty of errors from Super til the end of Z, as well as with the EOZ itself. There's 2 endings. Both by Toriyama. Argue that canon. There's also Super being based off the first two movies that Toriyama did. So does that make most of Super not canon since toei did the adaptation?

Exactly why arguing canon is stupid because what it really boils down to usually is "I decide what I like and don't like to count for me and everyone else."

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun May 01, 2016 2:54 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:It isn't relevant because Super takes place before it as well as before the end of the series itself. Of course it isn't relevant to the current series. The series takes place before Z ends. Even with MK the original trilogy also never happened either now so that argument can be used against the original trilogy as well as the 3D games. Hell the 3D games even are having elements from them still being used to this day. So they aren't just gone. Even characters from those eras are still living on, or at least referenced.

Like I said people are simply looking for any excuse they can to write off GT, despite the fact it's not at all frowned upon, and is still used to this day. Because it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Super had a horrendous start before it got better, and became an online joke that even the studio took notice of. There's plenty of errors from Super til the end of Z, as well as with the EOZ itself. There's 2 endings. Both by Toriyama. Argue that canon. There's also Super being based off the first two movies that Toriyama did. So does that make most of Super not canon since toei did the adaptation?

Exactly why arguing canon is stupid because what it really boils down to usually is "I decide what I like and don't like to count for me and everyone else."
I could see that argument when the franchise wasn't active, but right now, the definition of canon is important in order to understand what the show is attempting to do. If Toei manages to convince Toriyama to tie the story with GT, for example, we'd probably get an entire arc just dedicated to solving all contradictions and setting up everything. If that doesn't happen though, we'll likely just see more and more new elements that don't match GT, with the show never caring about undoing them. That's why canon is relevant right now not just random Vs threads or fan rejecting stuff they don't like.
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Xenoverse is rather contradictory about it. Even though you get it described as an alternate timeline and SSJ4 Goku doesn't recognize the time patroller (even though BoGs Goku joins the Time Patrol), the Vs/Parallel Quest dialogue makes it seems like SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta from GT are the same as the characters from the BoGs movie.
Last edited by Neon Z on Sun May 01, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun May 01, 2016 2:58 pm

I think the creators of this have far less attention to detail than the fans. If they randomly decide to tie in GT, they'll just do it and leave us to rage over all the gaping plot holes that creates. More likely it'll just never occur to them in story-planning meetings to do so, especially Toriyama who by this point is probably like "What's a GT?"
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun May 01, 2016 3:00 pm

Captain Space wrote:I think the creators of this have far less attention to detail than the fans. If they randomly decide to tie in GT, they'll just do it and leave us to rage over all the gaping plot holes that creates. Likely it'll just never occur to them in story-planning meetings to do so.
I could see it with smaller details, like King Kai rebuilding his planet or Kaioshin being described as disliking the fused state, but there's no way they'd just ignore stuff like the new transformations that obviously didn't exist back in GT if they actually attempt to push a connection towards the end of Super.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Neon Z wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:It isn't relevant because Super takes place before it as well as before the end of the series itself. Of course it isn't relevant to the current series. The series takes place before Z ends. Even with MK the original trilogy also never happened either now so that argument can be used against the original trilogy as well as the 3D games. Hell the 3D games even are having elements from them still being used to this day. So they aren't just gone. Even characters from those eras are still living on, or at least referenced.

I could see that argument when the franchise wasn't active, but right now, the definition of canon is important in order to understand what the show is attempting to do. If Toei manages to convince Toriyama to tie the story with GT, for example, we'd probably get an entire arc just dedicated to solving all contradictions and setting up everything. If that doesn't happen though, we'll likely just see more and more new elements that don't match GT, with the show never caring about undoing them. That's why canon is relevant right now not just random Vs threads or fan rejecting stuff they don't like.
Canon is not relevant at all. It's a childrens show to entertain. Not something to be debated about constantly. They are only interested in entertaining, and making money. They are interested in setting up the next big fight, and that's it. They don't care about older nerds who argue about canon, power levels, or any of that shit. The only important thing they want us to know is the story takes place before the end of Z, and that's it. They don't give a rat's ass about people who are curious whether it ties into GT or not, because they are focused on this sole time period. They aren't even focused on how it ties to the end of the Z yet considering all the errors we have right now. Super isn't over yet. Nothing is set in stone yet. Anything can happen.

I repeat, the only people who say GT is dead, are people who hate that series and want any excuse to write it off because of that. I don't love or hate GT. I take it for what it was. I don't look for excuses to write it off because I don't care. If they don't want GT, they'll come out and say it to everyone. Yet after all this time, they haven't. It's a very easy thing to say. You can theorize all you want if they did or didn't, but til they formally announce something along the lines that GT won't count for anything, then there's only speculation.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sun May 01, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun May 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm back, y'all! Were there any important news? All i'm seeing is talk about that garbage GT.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:I'm back, y'all! Were there any important news? All i'm seeing is talk about that garbage GT.
It's confirmed in the new summary of #42 that the monaka in the preview is fake. Its someone else in disguise :)