"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Zephyr wrote:I'm more interested in seeing him interact with Jaco.
Absolutely this. I'm looking forward to see Jaco's character fulfilling his entire purpose in the story. If he turns a blind eye on this matter again, I'll screw this shit.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Why? Jaco doesn't do anything, not because he's doesn't want to but because he can't.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Xeztin wrote:Who's the guy on the left? Another God of Destruction? Future Beerus?
That Whis/Beerus Fusion is a thing of beauty. :clap:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Retan wrote:Why? Jaco doesn't do anything, not because he's doesn't want to but because he can't.
But now he can, there's no reason to turn blind eye on Trunks.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:46 pm

There's literally nothing Jaco can do. He could hope Trunks might be polite enough to comply with his arrest, which Trunks very well might. But Bluma will just threaten to have Vegeta blow up Galactic Patrol headquarters again to protect her future son.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Hey guys. I'm back after many months of forum inactivity, for reasons that don't really matter explaining.
Can't tell you how I missed you discussing and following each event with you.

Trying to update things, here a few essential concepts about the most recent developments (knowing I might be addressing issues that have already been thoroughly discussed or repeating what others have said):
- The concept of "Goku" as a villain dates back - as a mere possibility back then - to the discussion on just how the 6th Universe arc would unfold, namely the possibility of having the fighters and characters of the 6th Universe be a perfect mirror (and contrast) of the ones in the 7th Universe; many here have speculated and expressed their wish to see an evil Goku (not to mention an evil Vegeta, a good Freeza - to which we to some degree got with Frost - etc.)
- After the obvious Beerus, Freeza and 6th Universe arcs, and considering what we know about the fact that Toriyama started planning and working on the Future Trunks arc a long time ago, it's pretty self-explanatory that he was in a way "desperately" wanting to bring back Mirai no Trunks to DBSuper as a character (he is indeed bringing back nearly everyone and everything, namely techniques from as early as the Saiya-jin and Freeza arcs, but also the Jinzouningen, Cell and Majin Buu arcs).
It might seem a little bit "forced" to create a plot in which the timeline of Mirai no Trunks is again in danger after so many years, and especially a danger posed by someone who is obviously going to be a challenge to Goku, Vegeta, Beerus and everyone else, fighters who are or have all become much, much stronger than they were in the era where Mirai no Trunks played his role before in DBZ.
Hell, it even might seen as if they're running out of ideas so much that they're somehow going through the route of GT and just present hastily-created stuff and bad storytelling and plot with no real artistic value whatsoever, especially in the episodes in-between the major arcs in DBSuper, but also in some of the events seen in them as well. I would never think DBSuper is or will ever become as bad as GT was, that's not the issue, it's just that after so much creativity it's hard to come up with new ideas whose interest and quality in terms of storytelling and plot are a decent follow-up to DBZ. Sometimes during the three first arcs in DBSuper, especially in the smoother episodes mentioned, you get the feeling they're deliberately aiming towards a much, much younger audience, as the jokes, events and comic circumstances appeal to a kind of humor which not even an adolescent would really find too funny.
- Having said all of this about the Future Trunks arc, I can't wait to see how each Trunks reacts to each other - although we've already seen part of that in last episode's preview, and in fact in DBZ the other way around -, how Mirai no Trunks reacts to the enormity of events which happened in the present timeline since he went back to the future (Majin Buu arc, Beerus, Freeza, Kaioshin, 6th Universe, Super Saiya-jin 3, Fusion, Super Saiya-jin God, Super Saiya-jin Blue) and just how powerful Black really is fighting-wise when compared to Goku, Vegeta, Beerus and all of the the strongest characters in the Universe at their best.
- I love Nozawa's evil voice. Black's way of speaking is obviously reminiscent of Turles. She does a wonderful job, even at this stage in her life, as a voice actress and I didn't expect her to come back with that thoroughly evil speech and manner of talking.
kinisking wrote:It's impossible but having goten be Black would be amazing. Goten and trunks are best friends in the present, but having them be enemies in the future would be an awesome contrast. This arc could have been their equivalent of Gohan's cell saga.
I don't see many chances of that happening. Wouldn't be too easy to explain how and why Goten got so evil and so strong, besides Goten wasn't even conceived in Mirai no Trunks' timeline, but that shouldn't stop anything from happen, with all the huge rips they're doing to space and time in the universe(s).
Ajay wrote: Feels good knowing nothing about this arc.
Yeah, unlike the Beerus and Freeza arcs, for obvious reasons (almost word-by-word copies of BoG and Fukkatsu no F) and the 6th Universe arc, about which we got so much information in advance and was in fact so thoroughly discussed and predictable, this is really new stuff. Excited :twisted:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder how Future Trunks will react to Fat Buu if he shows up in the next episode or later on. It would be interesting to see how he will react to him.
It will be interesting to see how he reacts and interacts with nearly everyone in the present. It's really been a while and immense stuff and events have taken place. I hope they take the opportunity this coming back in time idea presents to show us some good character development and not just flashbacks of the Jinzouningen and Cell arcs.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Xeztin wrote:Who's the guy on the left? Another God of Destruction? Future Beerus?
This is by far the best what-if fusion out there!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:56 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
I think its good enough to be a real character. Heck it favors a Bat, a Bat god of destruction would be cool.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Ajay wrote:Oh, absolutely. I just saw a lot of people trying to make connections over a "black outfit" though, and wanted to set things straight.
What's the matter? It would be amusing to see a Kaioshin wearing a tuxedo :)
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder how Future Trunks will react to Fat Buu if he shows up in the next episode or later on. It would be interesting to see how he will react to him.
Forget about it, Toriyama don't even care about Boo, I doubt will see he doing something useful in this arc
Xeztin wrote:I think its good enough to be a real character...
Yeah it could be, probably a battle between fusions, Gogeta x Wheerus... Well, Gogeta is probably screwed though lol
Last edited by Noah on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
I usually find the crazy game stuff " :roll: ", but this looks really, really cool.
Probably one of the few original game things i wouldn't mind seeing animated.
Noah wrote:Forget about it, Toriyama don't even care about Boo, I doubt will see he doing something useful in this arc
He's gonna enter hibernation until Goten and Trunks grow up.
Last edited by Araki on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm

This all looks like they're going down the road of having the only option to continue the story as having the strongest characters, espcially the evil ones, mess with time, space and everything, surpassing everything we saw until now. We start to see physical similarities to Goku and Beerus, time-travel, etc. This is most certainly going to be the most serious arc in DBSuper until now, I just hope they do a good job in terms of character interaction and storytelling. If the quality drops to the level of GT the series is screwed.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:09 pm

MaGyunia wrote:If the quality drops to the level of GT the series is screwed.
The quality of this series is already that bad, hell look at Universe 6 Arc: a pretty boring arc with all that "Goku and Vegeta show" thing in our faces, only got interesting when we saw Cabba and Hit in action, because pretty much the other U6 combatants were expendable and Monaka was a farce because Beerus out of nowhere wanted to play Master Roshi being motivational, lame.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Noah wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:If the quality drops to the level of GT the series is screwed.
The quality of this series is already that bad, hell look at Universe 6 Arc: a pretty boring arc with all that "Goku and Vegeta show" thing in our faces, only got interesting when we saw Cabba and Hit in action, because pretty much the other U6 combatants were expendable and Monaka was a farce because Beerus out of nowhere wanted to play Master Roshi being motivational, lame.
Agreed, some fights came close to being ridiculous (Vegeta vs Magetta, Goku vs Botamo). They tried innovating by having the 6th Universe's version of Freeza be somewhat different from Freeza, but sometimes staying with what you already know is best. The introduction and focus on recent uninteresting characters such as Monaka or Jaco, along with the lack of quality of the last episodes in terms of storytelling, makes me feel that either they're deliberately aiming the series at a much younger audience than we initially thought or that they just can't do any better for lack of quality ideas. I agree that Cabba and Hit were interesting characters at least until they started fighting. Hell, having a Saiya-jin from the 6th Universe fight Vegeta and learning from him is a concept which extremely high potential, and the fight against Vegeta was even somewhat interesting to some degree when compared to other stuff, but Hitto's way of fighting honestly disappointed me. I believe Cabba turning Super Saiya-jin so easily was wrong as well, we need to remember that all the Saiya-jins who achieved it in DBZ and up to the first time Goku does it's supposed to be an extremely unlikely and rare event. All it took for Cabba was a little bit of anger, it was just too easy. I liked the concept of Goku adding Kaio-Ken to any Super Saiya-jin stage, but again the fighting choreography disappointed me except when he goes all out and unleashes his Kamehameha at Hitto with the opening theme in the background; it actually even reminded me of when he loses it and goes Kaio-Ken x20 against Freeza, with the obvious differences and adaptations. However, it wasn't an entirely new concept, we saw him try it against Paiku-han, although that was filler. At least they bothered to explain why he never used it the combo before, and it was an acceptable explanation for me.

I don't like the idea of having a being be so overwhelmingly and absolutly superior to everyone and everything in all that exists, which includes everyone's favorites, Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, Piccolo, anyone, everyone. Especially a doll-looking chlildlike thing. I almost puked when I saw Beerus bowing to him. How is Goku, or Vegeta, or Beerus, or anyone supposed to surpass such absolute power in a way that involves the usual way of evolving in terms of Ki and fighting?

Perhaps resorting to an entire arc involving the future yet again and reintroducing Mirai no Trunks is the final chance to save the series in terms of seriousness, and I honestly saw that potential in Black. I hope they don't disappoint me like they did before in many aspects.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Xeztin wrote:Heck it favors a Bat, a Bat god of destruction would be cool.
We already had a bat God of destruction

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:45 pm

MaGyunia wrote:How is Goku, or Vegeta, or Beerus, or anyone supposed to surpass such absolute power in a way that involves the usual way of evolving in terms of Ki and fighting?
I seriously doubt anyone is going to be more powerful than the Omni-King unless you include unknowns like Zarama but that is speculation as we know nothing about him other than creating the Super Dragon Balls.

Since the Omni-King doesn't fight but is still insanely powerful i'm guessing he might be a reality warper. Goku and Vegeta will never reach that level of power with just raw power.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Overlord78 wrote: Goku and Vegeta will never reach that level of power with just raw power.
And that's exactly what annoys me. Goku and Vegeta, as pure Saiya-jins with virtually limitless potential and boundaries, always managed to reach new heights. This time around they're up against a different type of being with a different type of power.
Just like Goku and Vegeta, I prefer the old-school way of measuring someone's strength and power: by assessing their fighting ability and their Ki. Such overwhelming absolute power shouldn't exist. I think they screwed most fans over with that one, honestly.

nachossj1

Post by nachossj1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:06 pm

anyone has the picture of toriyama sensei´s Goku Black desing?

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Can someone translate this, please:

「ゴクウブラック」の危機から未来の地球を救うには、現代の悟空たちの力を借りるしか無いと語るトランクス。それを裏付けるのはブルマ宛の一冊のノートだった…!

From Fuji TV website: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/dragonball_super/

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:24 pm

HECTOR4 wrote:Can someone translate this, please:

「ゴクウブラック」の危機から未来の地球を救うには、現代の悟空たちの力を借りるしか無いと語るトランクス。それを裏付けるのはブルマ宛の一冊のノートだった…!

From Fuji TV website: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/dragonball_super/
Via google translate (General idea of it): To save the future of the Earth from the crisis of "Goku black", it says there is only borrow Goku us of the power of modern trunks. The support of it was the one book of notes addressed to bloomers

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Retan wrote:Why? Jaco doesn't do anything, not because he's doesn't want to but because he can't.
But now he can, there's no reason to turn blind eye on Trunks.
What is he actually going to do? Arrest him? Plus, Bulma has some dirt on him I believe and he's scared of Vegeta