"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No, just the DBS simulcast.
Oh, I see...

[spoiler]Do you know any site that has HD DB/Z/GT english subbed?[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3704
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Despite its original animation issues (which will not be present hopefully) I find the Beerus arc to be better then is movie counter part in terms of pacing and build up for Beerus. Beerus's characters is also better here as he's less friendly at first and very scary, a much better introduction for the god of destruction all round.

The big problem with the F arc is that they do nothing, aside from Tagoma/Ginyu nothing new is done and it really dose feel like they rushed the last few episodes to get to the U6 arc.

User avatar
Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:20 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote: If they want to do that they might as well air the first two anime before they air Super, since this new generation would be missing years of context lost when we see stuff in Super.
The beginning of Super explains a lot about what happened before because it was made with the intention of grabbing a new generation of fans in Japan and it also does a lot of setting up for what comes later. Starting at episode 28 would make no sense.
The only thing I recall Super explaining in episode 1 was what happened with Boo. The last time kids watched DBZ on TV it was on Nicktoons with DB Kai, which stopped with Cell.

They don't know the context and humor of the Pilaf Gang, callbacks like the mafuba wave, and other things like that. Super is a series made for Dragonball fans first and foremost despite it's many flaws. It isn't designed to immediately grab new viewers more-so than to grab in fans that are already familiar with Dragonball. The whole reason for them remaking the movies in Super was because they were worried that not enough people watched those movies to "get" Super, not to specifically draw in new viewers or anything like that. To be fair it's a solid point if Super just started off with U6, to viewers that have never seen the films it would be a bit strange and abnormal.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Despite its original animation issues (which will not be present hopefully) I find the Beerus arc to be better then is movie counter part in terms of pacing and build up for Beerus. Beerus's characters is also better here as he's less friendly at first and very scary, a much better introduction for the god of destruction all round.
Even though I agree with some things, like Beerus character introduction, ignoring animation (of course), I disagree that BoG Arc was better than the movie.

Just gonna leave dbzfan7's post on this subject:

[spoiler]A retelling does not mean it has to basically be Battle of Gods on a boat. It's scared because it's not even trying to pass it off as anything but Battle of Gods filler edition. We do get a bit more about Beerus, but we tossed out Goku's characterization for that which was quite interesting. Take Silent Hill Shattered Memories. It uses the same characters and retells the events of Silent Hill 1, but in a new way. It's not the same story, it's not a sequel, but it tells the premise of Silent Hill 1 differently. That is what Battle of Gods arc should have been. Use the same characters, similar premise, but change the overall story. Or better yet look at the Manga. At least it TRIES to spice things up. We have Champa and Waifuu Whis already. We have the Super Dragon Balls mentioned already. Champa seems to have been the cause of why Freeza is revived. That last part could still happen, but I doubt it. Super is too busy huddling in the corner making food jokes, using tired cliche's with characters like Chi Chi and Roshi, having nothing interesting for everyone outside the holy 4, and finding ways to waste more time while simultaneously staying as close as it can to the movie. Any time it tries to expand on the movie, it usually is simply padding or bad. What was the point of SSJ/2 Goku if the fight was just gonna be really shitty and pretty much the same thing as each other? Why are the Pilaf gang kids, the show doesn't tell you a damn thing. Why are they even around when you could remove them from this story and you lose nothing. Why are we on a cruise ship? To basically have an even lamer background setting of water...yay. It was the recent episode that took us away from the dull scenery.

By all means Super can be enjoyed for what it is. Some people like the retelling and find it better, kudos to them. I see it as a way to waste time because they just couldn't think of anything interesting to do while the Universe 6 arc is being thought out. Beerus is really the only one who's arguably getting some more fleshing out...maybe. Some people hate his more evil douche like portrayal, while some people say it's natural. I'm not sure what side I'm on. Some people find the beginning tediously slow, including me, while some people think the build up was justified. I think a Super is cowardly and has done nothing to warrant it's existence. Might as well watch the movie to get an overall better experience. Only the manga deserves to exist as of now. The Super anime isn't a retelling, it's a rehash.[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14020
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote: The only thing I recall Super explaining in episode 1 was what happened with Boo. The last time kids watched DBZ on TV it was on Nicktoons with DB Kai, which stopped with Cell.

They don't know the context and humor of the Pilaf Gang, callbacks like the mafuba wave, and other things like that. Super is a series made for Dragonball fans first and foremost despite it's many flaws. It isn't designed to immediately grab new viewers more-so than to grab in fans that are already familiar with Dragonball. The whole reason for them remaking the movies in Super was because they were worried that not enough people watched those movies to "get" Super, not to specifically draw in new viewers or anything like that. To be fair it's a solid point if Super just started off with U6, to viewers that have never seen the films it would be a bit strange and abnormal.
We are in 2016. We have the Internet and kids can easily look up things now. It was different most of us growing up as a fans because we didn't have all of the episodes and movies. Kids these days since Kai on Nick Toons have Youtube, Wikipedia and millions of fan sites to find info. Most of us didn't have good Internet access or where not old enough to use a computer when DBZ was airing in 1996-2003. Some of us where lucky to have local Japanese collector shops or fee markets that fan subs tapes, or Internet access to look up information on the series and watch episodes uncut. Kids now these days can find all of the old Dragon Ball episodes and easily know what happen in the past in the series.

I think the retellings of BOG and ROF happen in Super because Toriyama didn't have enough time to write the new story and character designs for the show.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote: The only thing I recall Super explaining in episode 1 was what happened with Boo. The last time kids watched DBZ on TV it was on Nicktoons with DB Kai, which stopped with Cell.

They don't know the context and humor of the Pilaf Gang, callbacks like the mafuba wave, and other things like that. Super is a series made for Dragonball fans first and foremost despite it's many flaws. It isn't designed to immediately grab new viewers more-so than to grab in fans that are already familiar with Dragonball. The whole reason for them remaking the movies in Super was because they were worried that not enough people watched those movies to "get" Super, not to specifically draw in new viewers or anything like that. To be fair it's a solid point if Super just started off with U6, to viewers that have never seen the films it would be a bit strange and abnormal.
We are in 2016. We have the Internet and kids can easily look up things now. It was different most of us growing up as a fans because we didn't have all of the episodes and movies. Kids these days since Kai on Nick Toons have Youtube, Wikipedia and millions of fan sites to find info. Most of us didn't have good Internet access or where not old enough to use a computer when DBZ was airing in 1996-2003. Some of us where lucky to have local Japanese collector shops or fee markets that fan subs tapes, or Internet access to look up information on the series and watch episodes uncut. Kids now these days can find all of the old Dragon Ball episodes and easily know what happen in the past in the series.

I think the retellings of BOG and ROF happen in Super because Toriyama didn't have enough time to write the new story and character designs for the show.
It's never good to assume your audience know something or they have to look at the internet to find out what happened before. There's such a thing call continue lockout.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14020
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Kids these have better technology, so they can easily catch up on things now compare to most of us. Heck, we got DBZ in 1996 and Funimation skip 21st Tenkachi Budokai - 23rd Tenkachi Budokai after 1995. Most of the people that did watch DBZ on TV probably didn't care on what happen before, they just wanted to see the action.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:59 pm

That was then. Anime don't skip ahead and assumed viewers can used the internet to catch up. Especially since there are still many parts of the US that doesn't have free access to the internet.

Also, the reason why Funi skipped most of Dragon Ball was because of ratings. Not because they wanted to get to the 'good parts'. If that was the case, Toonami should have skipped Part 1 and 2 of JoJo Bizarre Adventures and gone straight to the beloved Part 3 and assumed the audience can just catch up using the internet.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8830
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:38 pm

You know, it's weird - I'm not nearly as excited for FUNi's announcement as I thought I'd be. I mean, I'm still excited - I cannot wait to watch it again dubbed, and I cannot wait to own the series - but it was kind of so...expected? Like, we pretty much all knew this was coming, even before all the hints started dropping, so once they did, well...

Yeah, I'm excited, but it's more of a 'Sweet, this is gonna be fun.' feeling rather than an 'AHHHHHHHH YEEAAAAHHHH!' feeling.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Neo Hartless
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Neo Hartless » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm

What excites me most about this new dub is seeing how the public will react to it after having been exposed to the original audio for over a year. The backlash against Goku Black's and Hit's voice was just the beginning, think of the arguments that'll happen if the dub uses names like "Zamas", or a character's voice doesn't meet their expectations, or, god forbid, they keep on using old "dubisms".

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Neo Hartless wrote:...think of the arguments that'll happen if the dub uses names like "Zamas"...
Technically, both Zamas and Zamasu are equally correct, so that'll just annoy me.
Retired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:36 pm

Neo Hartless wrote:What excites me most about this new dub is seeing how the public will react to it after having been exposed to the original audio for over a year. The backlash against Goku Black's and Hit's voice was just the beginning, think of the arguments that'll happen if the dub uses names like "Zamas", or a character's voice doesn't meet their expectations, or, god forbid, they keep on using old "dubisms".
Only the hardcore fans, who mostly grew up on the subs, have been watching Super this entire time. The more casual fanbase who grew up with the dub may know some stuff about Super, but haven't been following Super closely. And new material have been using 'dubisms'. Only Kai uses the Japanese attack names. Even in Resurrection 'F', they used the dub attack names.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:40 pm

HeroR wrote:Only Kai uses the Japanese attack names. Even in Resurrection 'F', they used the dub attack names.
Kai also began using more dubisms as time went on.
Retired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7841
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:56 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HeroR wrote:Only Kai uses the Japanese attack names. Even in Resurrection 'F', they used the dub attack names.
Kai also began using more dubisms as time went on.
They kind of went back and forward in Kai, especially with Piccolo and Krillin's attacks.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5138
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:06 am

Neo Hartless wrote:What excites me most about this new dub is seeing how the public will react to it after having been exposed to the original audio for over a year. The backlash against Goku Black's and Hit's voice was just the beginning, think of the arguments that'll happen if the dub uses names like "Zamas", or a character's voice doesn't meet their expectations, or, god forbid, they keep on using old "dubisms".
I agree with the notion of many people being very, very quick to judge a different version of something they like and immediately dismiss it, but to be fair, Hit's voice is absolutely atrocious in Xenoverse 2. It's like they hired a random guy in the streets and told him to voice him without ever watching a single episode of Super first. Black's VA is...unpolished, to say the least. I have confidence Schemmel will do better for the show.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
SaiyaSith
Regular
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:33 am

I've noticed Buu wants to play a lot, especially in Xenoverse 2. Do you think he could be Zeno's future play friend?

User avatar
DBS916
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by DBS916 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:46 am

SaiyaSith wrote:I've noticed Buu wants to play a lot, especially in Xenoverse 2. Do you think he could be Zeno's future play friend?
Yes, and everyone else as well. Zeno would end up befriending everyone who's willing to play with him. I wonder if he will have a voracious appetite for food like Beerus and Whis.

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:09 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Technically, both Zamas and Zamasu are equally correct, so that'll just annoy me.
There's no reason to drop the "u" if his name comes from the verb, like it seems it does.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:15 am

HeroR wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HeroR wrote:Only Kai uses the Japanese attack names. Even in Resurrection 'F', they used the dub attack names.
Kai also began using more dubisms as time went on.
They kind of went back and forward in Kai, especially with Piccolo and Krillin's attacks.
They will use the dub names and they should as that is what they are commonly known in english and does not affect the show in any way. I don't really like it that Piccolo said Makankosappo in the Kai home release as he says Special Beam Cannon in every other speaking role such as the video games and broadcast dub. This is actually an inconsistency in the dub.

User avatar
YonedgeHP
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 12:36 pm
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia (Kingdom of Spain)
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by YonedgeHP » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:57 am

Neo Hartless wrote:What excites me most about this new dub is seeing how the public will react to it after having been exposed to the original audio for over a year. The backlash against Goku Black's and Hit's voice was just the beginning, think of the arguments that'll happen if the dub uses names like "Zamas", or a character's voice doesn't meet their expectations, or, god forbid, they keep on using old "dubisms".
Technically, both Toei's and Bandai's assets uses Zamas sometimes. There is a chance that the dub uses it.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Post Reply