"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Looks like Piccolo is going to beat up Gohan and hopefully show how strong he has got .What are they going to achieve in 31 hours anyway? This sounds more like power level bullshit.

Episode 89 is the last of the recruiting episodes.

Not a lot of information due to there being previews for 2 episodes.

Now we wait for next episode preview for 88 on sunday.
Even Krillin was able to beat Gohan lol Piccolo "beating Gohan" won't really be relevant on how strong he is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 am

Pretty nice interview! And like Goku I am excited too! :)

So Toriyama was invovled like normal and came up with the concept all by himself not egged on by Toei this time, so far so good it's well above the U6 arc so far.

The talk about a grand story, points to there being more to this arc than just the tournament.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 am

Lapislettuce wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Looks like Piccolo is going to beat up Gohan and hopefully show how strong he has got .What are they going to achieve in 31 hours anyway? This sounds more like power level bullshit.

Even Krillin was able to beat Gohan lol Piccolo "beating Gohan" won't really be relevant on how strong he is.
Not beat as in knocking him out a ring but beat him so he can't even get off the floor as he can't take anymore damage from Piccolo.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 am

TheMikado wrote:
When we ask whether Master Roshi can keep up with this power scaling, Sakurada tells us: “Isn’t Master Roshi pretty strong?
This was NOT encouraging AT ALL...
Although the scale of this next arc is on another level, there is no fear of any power scaling issues. After all, worlds that I can’t even imagine will be created in the future, so we will work our way through this power scaling issue.”
Or this, are they recognizing it as an issue?
As there is a ban on flying, this battle’s focus will move to a primarily tactical based one. Due to this, there will most likely be a place for Krillin and Master Roshi to shine, even though their power level is lower than Goku’s.

Also describing their power level as just "lower than Gokus" is a little idk. It's like saying an ant is smaller than an elephant. Basically almost an understatement.
This interview was just stupid. Them making light of exactly how far behind Krillin and master Roshi are just proves that they're not even consistent with their own writing.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:01 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Pretty nice interview! And like Goku I am excited too! :)

So Toriyama was invovled like normal and came up with the concept all by himself not egged on by Toei this time, so far so good it's well above the U6 arc so far.

The talk about a grand story, points to there being more to this arc than just the tournament.
The concept was definitely Toriyamas but he specifically stated that the outline was barebones and that Toei fleshed it out so we have no idea what that means.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Pretty nice interview! And like Goku I am excited too! :)

The concept was definitely Toriyamas but he specifically stated that the outline was barebones and that Toei fleshed it out so we have no idea what that means.
I imagine most of this recruitment stuff is Toei fleshing out but I think Toriyama probably just put stuff like 17 is on and Island and stuff about his family, Tien has a dojo etc.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:

Not beat as in knocking him out a ring but beat him so he can't even get off the floor as he can't take anymore damage from Piccolo.
Your over wanking of Piccolo is causing more harm than good. 23rd budokai Piccolo is long gone. He won't beat Gohan for no reason. He's changed too much for that to make sense, and you really should taper your exceptions for this arc. I'm 100% you won't get what you want out of it.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Beyond wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: Even Krillin was able to beat Gohan lol Piccolo "beating Gohan" won't really be relevant on how strong he is.
Your over wanking of Piccolo is causing more harm than good. 23rd budokai Piccolo is long gone. He won't beat Gohan for no reason. He's changed too much for that to make sense, and you really should taper your exceptions for this arc. I'm 100% you won't get what you want out of it.
Piccolo at the end of episode 85 looked like Saiyan arc Piccolo to me.

Saiyans are suppose to get stronger after a tough battle and we need to see where Piccolo is

If this does not happen then what is this one-on-one training that is going to get Gohan stronger in such a short time? Gohan could always stay the same.

I am not going to lower my expactions when this should be a big arc with all 10 fighters involved in an equal way. I also have a right to expect Piccolo to have increased a lot due to Krillin and what that recent interview said.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 am

Dragon Ball Super: Is the newest arc safe from power scaling? After all Master Roshi is fighting too... We talk to the producer.

We are entering the TV anime’s new “Universe Survival” arc of Dragon Ball Super, the new Dragon Ball anime inspired by Akira Toriyama’s hugely popular manga. We have seen the series’ hero, Son Goku, take part in many intense battles against tough foes throughout Super so far, but in this new arc, we expect to see even more powerful opponents, assembled from across the many universes to participate in the Tournament of Power. With the stage set on such a magnificent scale, we have fans worrying if the series is safe from “power scaling (literally: power inflation),” after all, there are characters such as Master Roshi and Krillin who cannot hope to keep up with the power levels of these increasingly powerful foes. We asked the anime’s producer at Toei Animation, Hiroyuki Sakurada, a range of questions such as “Is the power scaling going to be ok?,” and “Can Master Roshi really fight in such a stage?”

-Akira Toriyama’s Ideas will Surpass the Power Scaling Worry

Dragon Ball is the name of Akira Toriyama’s famous manga that was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump (Shueisha) from 1984-95. The anime debuted in 1986, and Dragon Ball Super, a completely original story overlooked by Toriyama himself, began in July 2015. It starts after Goku’s fight with Majin Buu and touches on plot points such as meeting with the God of Destruction, Beerus, fighting a revived Frieza and a showdown with Goku Black.

In the new Universe Survival arc, we see a Tournament of Power, in which warriors representing each universe assemble to battle it out. Each universe must assemble 10 warriors to fight in this tournament, and the losing universes will be eradicated. Sakurada tells us that, “Regarding the new grand developments of this upcoming arc, when I asked Mr Toriyama how the series will progress, Toriyama himself proposed this new story. Receiving the bare bones of the story from Toriyama, I fleshed out the story and created what you will be seeing on your screens soon.” He also added that the fact there will be over 100 new characters from each universe was tricky indeed.

Zeno, who stands in a position above each universe’s gods, evaluated each universe, assigned them a rank – the results of which were that Goku’s universe, Universe 7, is second from the bottom. The fact that there are even stronger foes in other universes surprised a lot of fans, and resulted in some voices calling that this power scaling ruins the story.

Sakurada tells us this idea of there always being an even stronger power has been with the Dragon Ball series for a long time. “Each time a new arc or series begins, the fans always worry about how it will turn out in the end, but Toriyama always seems to break through this issue. Although the scale of this next arc is on another level, there is no fear of any power scaling issues. After all, worlds that I can’t even imagine will be created in the future, so we will work our way through this power scaling issue.”

Isn’t Master Roshi Pretty Strong?

In the promotional artwork for the Universe Survival arc, we can see the warriors chosen to participate. The expected fighters, Goku, Gohan and Vegeta are here, but many fans are surprised to see Master Roshi among the roster. Although he was once the strongest fighter in the past, he has seen very little action in the recent series. Even in Dragon Ball Super, although he had a fight scene against Frieza’s army, he hasn’t really had much show time this series.

When we ask whether Master Roshi can keep up with this power scaling, Sakurada tells us: “Isn’t Master Roshi pretty strong? There are things both he and Krillin can do. In addition to the question of Gohan getting his fighting instincts back, we can look forward to how these characters play their roles in this upcoming arc. It was Toriyama’s idea to assemble these ten characters, and I think it’s quite the interesting lineup. But getting all ten members together who are on that promotional image... Please look forward to it!”

In the Tournament of Power, all 10 members from each time fight at the same time in a battle royal. The universe who has the last remaining fighter, or the most remaining fighters at the end of the time limit, will be the victor. As there is a ban on flying, this battle’s focus will move to a primarily tactical based one. Due to this, there will most likely be a place for Krillin and Master Roshi to shine, even though their power level is lower than Goku’s.

In regard to the Universe Survival arc, Sakurada tells us “The series’ popular characters will form a team and participate in a dream match against even more powerful opponents from other universes. We will see who will join the team and how they will play their roles. When Dragon Ball was first serialized it was regarded as the best battle action manga in the world. Even now, there are unique qualities about it, and has a charm that exceeds language, generation and time. I hope I can show this same quality in the new Universe Survival arc. Please look forward to the action and excitement that awaits!” There will be an even more grand story, intense battles in this new arc and we think it’s something to really look forward to. As Goku always says, “I’m pretty excited!”

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 am

It was Toriyama’s idea to assemble these ten characters, and I think it’s quite the interesting lineup. But getting all ten members together who are on that promotional image... Please look forward to it!”
This is where the point of characters being replaced originated I believe?

It seems more like he is talking about how the recruitment episodes go which weren't in the script, the only thing toriyama gave is the lineup..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
When we ask whether Master Roshi can keep up with this power scaling, Sakurada tells us: “Isn’t Master Roshi pretty strong?
This was NOT encouraging AT ALL...
Although the scale of this next arc is on another level, there is no fear of any power scaling issues. After all, worlds that I can’t even imagine will be created in the future, so we will work our way through this power scaling issue.”
Or this, are they recognizing it as an issue?
As there is a ban on flying, this battle’s focus will move to a primarily tactical based one. Due to this, there will most likely be a place for Krillin and Master Roshi to shine, even though their power level is lower than Goku’s.

Also describing their power level as just "lower than Gokus" is a little idk. It's like saying an ant is smaller than an elephant. Basically almost an understatement.
This interview was just stupid. Them making light of exactly how far behind Krillin and master Roshi are just proves that they're not even consistent with their own writing.
They're basically saying their power consistency isn't a problem even though it's a HUGE problem and that's irritating.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
It was Toriyama’s idea to assemble these ten characters, and I think it’s quite the interesting lineup. But getting all ten members together who are on that promotional image... Please look forward to it!”

It seems more like he is talking about how the recruitment episodes go which weren't in the script, the only thing toriyama gave is the lineup..
I swear this quote said something quite different in the last translation...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am

Ki Breaker wrote:

No, I originated that mess :lol: but only because of two things i previously described

I'm 99% sure no one will be replaced, so don't worry too much about that

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 am

This what I was talking about some days ago. We need a character popularity poll like this to see where everyone stands now.
Doesn't need to be as detailed as this one, but include movie only characters like Broly would be interesting.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
They're basically saying their power consistency isn't a problem even though it's a HUGE problem and that's irritating.
I'm not sure that's what he meant, but maybe you are right.

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:32 am

SansrivaaL wrote:No I dont care if they put a new character in there like that Fem Broly for giggles, I want Roshi,Tien,Piccolo,Krillin,17,18,Boo,Gohan,Vegeta and Goku. Fck Yamcha and the other available ones, dont they dare push Fem Broly as a U7 fighter!
Well guess what? Nobody cares what u think or want. If Toei already drew it, get over it and suck it up. If going by the 2nd DBS Intro we already know who will participate, but if there will be a change of the last moment make it dull 17 or stupid/childish joke Roshi, whom I won't mind taking off-stage walk again. Yamcha instead of any of them would be GREAT!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:No I dont care if they put a new character in there like that Fem Broly for giggles, I want Roshi,Tien,Piccolo,Krillin,17,18,Boo,Gohan,Vegeta and Goku. Fck Yamcha and the other available ones, dont they dare push Fem Broly as a U7 fighter!
Well guess what? Nobody cares what u think or want. If Toei already drew it,
I care..
Too bad..
You know the best thing about all this? Nobody is getting replaced and Yamcha stays in his home waiting for the invite, like you said "suck it up"..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

Ki Breaker wrote:

Exactly no where in that sentence imply's any of the characters are getting replaced.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Israelite Wolfman wrote:
Well guess what? Nobody cares what u think or want. If Toei already drew it,
I care..
Too bad..
You know the best thing about all this? Nobody is getting replaced and Yamcha stays in his home waiting for the invite, like you said "suck it up"..
Yep ain't it good.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote: Well guess what? Nobody cares what u think or want. If Toei already drew it, get over it and suck it up. If going by the 2nd DBS Intro we already know who will participate, but if there will be a change of the last moment make it dull 17 or stupid/childish joke Roshi, whom I won't mind taking off-stage walk again. Yamcha instead of any of them would be GREAT!
Indeed, they did already drew it, and there is no trace of Yamcha in there, you prefer Yamcha right? whats so bad about childish when he's at the epitome of childish when he was being smug and dreamy about them coming to him for help, Yamcha's just as much a joke as Roshi is but with Roshi being actually cool while Yamcha is.... we all know what role he'll play if he does participate. If you wanna point out that no one gives a crap about what I say, it would be wise to apply the same to you.