"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Legion wrote: Lol yeah, but that pic is not mine, anyway :lol: I found it.
It's okay man. It's okay. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sat May 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Legion wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Don't worry. We've all been caught with our pants down on at least one ocaasion. :wink:
Lol yeah, but that pic is not mine, anyway :lol: I found it.
Yeah man , we believe you :wink:
Is true lol, I'll give you a link if you want :D
Last edited by Legion on Sat May 13, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat May 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Wait, didn't boo have a purple background ? Clever bastards.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Legion wrote:Image

Bye Buu.
Should have closed the other tab mate..
Is this official or fan made?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Bye Buu.
It's a shop.
Feels over Reals.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 pm

HeroR wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Legion wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Bye Buu.
Should have closed the other tab mate..
Is this official or fan made?
Fan made, the link dosen't give me the same image
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Bye Buu.
At least we now know why Krillin looks so pissed of in his shot.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat May 13, 2017 12:25 pm

I didn't want Freezer, I still had hopes for Yamcha and I prefered Boo too. But this is it, so I'm not gonna complain more about it, I think it can be interesting too. Everybody hates him and he hates everybody, what could go wrong? I'm thinking specially about Krilin and Vegeta, both killed by him. But we have also Gohan and Piccolo and in a lower level Ten and Roshi, they fought in the RoF arc. Out of the team, Dende should hate him too. Beerus knows him personally too. Well, there is definitely a lot to see about this recruitment. He is very strong, able to fight in god level.

My questions, what is on this for him? Why would he accept if they don't offer him another resurrection? Or he may try something to screw them. We'll see.

Edit: Last image is Photoshop? Well, Freezer's image is official, so there it is.
Heno heno kappa!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

I was really looking forward to seeing Boo in action at the ToP, but there's a lot of potential with Freeza.

My biggest issue is that they're using the "Boo fell asleep and can't be awoken" thing again. In the manga, Toyotaro handled Boo not competing in the Universe 6 tournament in a much more creative way, so hopefully he does something like that again. If not, the storytellers on Super really need to do a better job of explaining his hibernation. There is a pretty good in-universe explanation for this, and it's that Bobbidi woke Boo from his natural slumber cycle early. If they just keep saying "Boo fell asleep again, oh well!" without explicitly addressing this, people are obviously going to feel ripped off.

olympia

Post by olympia » Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject, but I think renaissance painters (or maybe the middle ages?) came up with the idea of painting halos around otherworldly saintly subjects. I think the original reference was a generic glowing of light (like a ki aura) as opposed to a fixed ring shape. :?:

Either way, I think Freeza's (and all the dead bad guys with halos) a case of the "equating nuns to miko" trope. Someone either didn't care to research or just thought it looked cool.

It doesn't bother me because I'm so used to seeing it from Z and GT anime filler.
Halos were first widely seen in Byzantine art, notably to portray the Christian piety of its subjects and their connection to God, rather than to portray some otherworldly property. A famous and ubiquitous example of this can be seen in portraits of Justinian I, which mostly served to convey how he's so fucking Christian, way more Christian than you or I could ever hope to be. Stare in awe at his Christianity.

I think it's fair to say that any historical subtext behind the halos in Dragon Ball is eschewed for the visual gag.
Last edited by olympia on Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Understood. I've had only very few art history classes so I was just going off what little I recalled.

So I don't follow My Hero Academia, but I saw the graphic novel cover for volume 8 on ANN and wow did Shueisha maybe ripoff the character design from someone called Momo Yaoyorozu for Kale's initial design.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ ... -8/.116020

She's a dead ringer with the exception of the bang being on the other side of her hair. No wonder they changed Kale's design in-episode even more by changing her face and skintone. Without those changes these two look like twins!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Chuquita wrote:-snip-
Nothing has been stated about who designed Kale, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was Toyotaro rather than Toriyama. Toyo has stated that he's a big fan of My Hero Academia, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took inspiration from that character. Either way, Kale's design still looks quite a bit like Broli, and Yaoyorozu's personality is the total opposite of her's.

I just started watching MHA, and I'm really enjoying it! It's not revolutionary in any sense so far, but I'd recommend it.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 pm

How much you wanna bet that Fireza is going to be used and get trashed to hype up some other fighter ?

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:

Bye Buu.
At least we now know why Krillin looks so pissed of in his shot.
This is fake!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:How much you wanna bet that Fireza is going to be used and get trashed to hype up some other fighter ?
No. That's Vegeta's job.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Freeza thing is legit...

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/863346787096121344

So hyped!

There's going to be so much tension, between interactions of the cast with Freeza and the beans being spilled on the true consequences of losing the tournament.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 13, 2017 1:18 pm

batistabus wrote:
Nothing has been stated about who designed Kale, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was Toyotaro rather than Toriyama. Toyo has stated that he's a big fan of My Hero Academia, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took inspiration from that character. Either way, Kale's design still looks quite a bit like Broli, and Yaoyorozu's personality is the total opposite of her's.

I just started watching MHA, and I'm really enjoying it! It's not revolutionary in any sense so far, but I'd recommend it.
It's very probable Kale is a Toyotaro invention (he said we will see his idea added to the story). In his AF manga Toyotaro brought Broly back so it seems he likes the character a lot.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat May 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Freeza bout to lose his mind when he finds out Goku has SSJBKK, I can imagine him making a gag about what Goku did.
Goku: We need your help, I started a multiversal tournament and the losing universe gets theirs destroyed.
Freeza: You did what? and they say I'm the bad guy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Quite interesting to see the shift of opinions turn from chaos to people now excited! Even I don't have the rage inside me from last week. I still don't like it, but if they somehow pull it off fantastic, if they don't it's not like I was expecting them too. I just hope Freeza remains Freeza and he is looking at this as another opportunity for revenge.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 pm

emperior wrote:
batistabus wrote:

It's very probable Kale is a Toyotaro invention (he said we will see his idea added to the story). In his AF manga Toyotaro brought Broly back so it seems he likes the character a lot.
So maybe it's like how they divided up character creation earlier. Kale is Toyo's and Caulifla is Toriyama's.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!