"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:21 pm

TheMikado wrote:Not everyone likes watching years of character development crapped on for the sake of entertainment. They aren't mutually exclusive. You can make them entertaining without regression.
Oh of course I am talking about myself here, but the character development Vegeta got made him into a boring guy fast..
This Vegeta on the other hand is great for entertainment.. Maybe they could have made him entertaining keeping that character change but they couldn't, so why bother with that..
I like the way they are going with this, more power to them!
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:37 pm

precita wrote:Gohan will definitely be the last major character standing besides Goku. They built up Gohan specifically for this arc and it's pretty obvious Vegeta is going to take a huge fall before the end. The only question is what happens to Freeza before the end, or hell, he might just purposely disqualify himself and jump out of the ring so he could start scheming things before the tournament ends.
Gohan has to do one hell of a carryjob now, I kinda feel bad for him because he got paired with scrubs..fighting another Universes scrubs.

Freeza wont DQ himself on purpose because Beerus would hakai him on the spot, maybe he will DQ himself in an accident way, so it doesnt look suspicious.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Why are people calling Krillin and Piccolo scrubs? I don't see how they are. Basil was doing alright and Piccolo should be stronger than him. Krillin is quick on his feat and probably has gotten reasonably strong.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Not buying the character regression. Goku and Vegeta only teamed up when the situation got so dire, Goku as a character always has been unreliable, in the Buu arc he was mister pro fusion for a majority of the arc then all of sudden he turns down the opportunity when it presents itself again in the Buu arc now have the urge to fight Buu one and one cuz he's a Saiyan! If you call what's happening now regression then Goku has been regressing and developing back and fourth for a while now.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Beyond wrote:Why are people calling Krillin and Piccolo scrubs? I don't see how they are. Basil was doing alright and Piccolo should be stronger than him. Krillin is quick on his feat and probably has gotten reasonably strong.
Toei nerfed Makankosappo and Kienzan, and btw i have a question, if Piccolo uses his heavy clothes to attack, he would get DQd right?

Because I question Piccolo fighting with his weights on.

Roshi is probably done the moment he goes for a female fighter, she might take out 1 or 2 from Universe 4 and he will get rekt by Brianne or her friends.

Now I believe they hate Tien because they didnt draw him in the scene where 17 and 18 went on their own to fight the Pride Troopers, and doesnt help that he will just do support stuff, his kikoho is now useless.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 pm

TheMikado wrote:
TheOne wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Not everyone likes watching years of character development crapped on for the sake of entertainment. They aren't mutually exclusive. You can make them entertaining without regression. I really don't get why they HAD to portray Goku that way. It's really minor but it's been death by 1000 cuts with Goku character.
You really think it's out of character for Goku to fight alone?? Good grief you must've missed all of DBZ
No where did I complain about Goku fighting alone. That's perfectly within his character. It's the degree his recklessness is shown. I gave a perfectly valid way they could have shown the same thing without Goku being the primary douche bag and more consistent with his teamwork and maturity he's gained over the years.
This was Gokus idea. The guy has wet dreams about this kind of stuff. Naturally he will be the first one to go off and do his own thing. He made it pretty clear before that he was going to fight alone. So did Vegeta and the others.

There was nothing wrong with the way they approached it. It's like letting a kid loose in a toy store.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:15 pm

perucho1990 wrote: Now I believe they hate Tien because they didnt draw him in the scene where 17 and 18 went on their own to fight the Pride Troopers, and doesnt help that he will just do support stuff, his kikoho is now useless.
Tien stole Toriyama's chips, he is still mad about that
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:21 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Beyond wrote:Why are people calling Krillin and Piccolo scrubs? I don't see how they are. Basil was doing alright and Piccolo should be stronger than him. Krillin is quick on his feat and probably has gotten reasonably strong.
Toei nerfed Makankosappo and Kienzan, and btw i have a question, if Piccolo uses his heavy clothes to attack, he would get DQd right?

Roshi is probably done the moment he goes for a female fighter, she might take out 1 or 2 from Universe 4 and he will get rekt by Brianne or her friends.

Now I believe they hate Tien because they didnt draw him in the scene where 17 and 18 went on their own to fight the Pride Troopers, and doesnt help that he will just do support stuff, his kikoho is now useless.
It was such a shame to see Tien literally not in that shot of the group. However, I'm cautiously optimistic we will see some amazing techniques from him and the other Earthlings. That whole scene in this episode was just off and I doubt/hope it doesn't happen like that again in future episodes. I want to see some tactical Makankosappo's, Kikoho's and Kienzan's!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Krillin is supposed to have heavy focus in episode 99.

Roshi still has Mafuba but I bet that he will get very tired after using it, because it killed him the last time he used it.

Speaking of the reused animation, I only noticed it when Basil was fighting, he used it like 4 times, it was the most noticeable out of the other reused animation Ajay posted on twitter.

But its Basil so who cares if they dont want to put effort on this guy who is a scrub.

Kitano working an episode centered on the worst Universe...very fitting.:lol:

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:30 pm

perucho1990 wrote:

>kikoho

>useless in a tournament in which knocking opponents back is key to winning

Nigga, wat?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Which upcoming episode spoilers did we get last week? Can anyone quote them to me? I can't find it nor remember it. I remember reading something about Krillin and Kale??

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:34 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Which upcoming episode spoilers did we get last week? Can anyone quote them to me? I can't find it nor remember it. I remember reading something about Krillin and Kale??
99 with Krillin's hidden power and 100 or 101 with something about berserker in the title.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:46 pm

If I'm not missing anything, C18 vs Pride Trooper girl is the first proper female vs female fight this franchise ever had. It took 30+ years, but better late than never it's what we should say in these situations.

-New Ending-

New Ending is ok but definitely didn't live up to my expectations.
What surprised me the most was seeing Goku with battle damage and Gohan next to him. Maybe Gohan will have a bigger role than I thought, but I'm not expecting something like the Cell games where Goku gives up and entrusts everything to him. He was been looking for this Tournament since Zeno announced it and it's already confirmed he will have a new "transformation".
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Have the EDs ever been indicative of where the story's going? Boo sleeping, maybe?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Simere wrote:Have the EDs ever been indicative of where the story's going? Boo sleeping, maybe?
Not really. It might just tell us who they want to promote, so it could hint at relevance but definitely not the actual plot. Even with relevance it's questionable.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:03 pm

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
>kikoho

>useless in a tournament in which knocking opponents back is key to winning

Nigga, wat?
Botamo would just tank it, but another thing is ...Did Piccolo forget about Botamos ability?

About Gohan, I could see him lasting until the very end.

Him unlocking his new transformation vs Jiren would be perfect or Goku will ask for his help to fight Jiren because they need to win and not just to have fun, it would be a nice development.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:23 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan will definitely be the last major character standing besides Goku. They built up Gohan specifically for this arc and it's pretty obvious Vegeta is going to take a huge fall before the end. The only question is what happens to Freeza before the end, or hell, he might just purposely disqualify himself and jump out of the ring so he could start scheming things before the tournament ends.
Gohan has to do one hell of a carryjob now, I kinda feel bad for him because he got paired with scrubs..fighting another Universes scrubs.

Freeza wont DQ himself on purpose because Beerus would hakai him on the spot, maybe he will DQ himself in an accident way, so it doesnt look suspicious.
I don't see Freeza DQ'ing himself, as he wants to survive. I think the scenario that is most likely to happen is Freeza and Frost protecting eachother, with both even going against members of their own universe. I can see Freeza using his tail to "inadvertently" knock off a Krillin/Tien going after Frost, etc.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Simere wrote:Have the EDs ever been indicative of where the story's going? Boo sleeping, maybe?
The previous ED gave away Ultimate Gohan and Buu sleeping.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Call Vegeta regressed, but at least he is fun to watch now
I don't know, I've been finding him even more boring now this saga than usual in Super for me.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 pm

TheOne wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
TheOne wrote:
You really think it's out of character for Goku to fight alone?? Good grief you must've missed all of DBZ
No where did I complain about Goku fighting alone. That's perfectly within his character. It's the degree his recklessness is shown. I gave a perfectly valid way they could have shown the same thing without Goku being the primary douche bag and more consistent with his teamwork and maturity he's gained over the years.
This was Gokus idea. The guy has wet dreams about this kind of stuff. Naturally he will be the first one to go off and do his own thing. He made it pretty clear before that he was going to fight alone. So did Vegeta and the others.

There was nothing wrong with the way they approached it. It's like letting a kid loose in a toy store.
The problem is he's not a kid, the fate of the universe and everyone he knows hangs in the balance, it's 48 minutes. All I'm asking is that he at least tried to act like an adult for 1 out of these critical 48 mins. I don't think that's a lot to ask. The point I've been making is that this by itself isn't a crucial point in his character but constantly showing Goku as more impulsive and reckless than he should be at this point isn't a good look. It the same thing with the reminding Zen'o thing. By itself it's not bad, him being so impulsive and everyone saying they need to treat Goku like a child at this point is ridiculous. His character has developed beyond this at this point, if he ever was this bad to begin with. He didn't run off obsessed and looking for Frieza leaving everyone to fend for themselves, he didn't go hunting down Cell on his own because he wanted to fight, and he talked multiple times about taking out Buu together and didn't go running off by himself. Now suddenly we need one of those child leashes for Goku because he can't be reasoned with. Look again it's not a big deal it's just as I've said, its death by 1000 cuts with small things like this. It doesn't ruin Goku or the episode, but it doesn't help either.