"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:32 am

So, since I try not to be spoiled on super, and I haven't watched since episode 97... Could anyone quote my post here to talk about this upcoming special? (And only that while replying to this message) What do we know? Cross or single?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 am

sangofe wrote:So, since I try not to be spoiled on super, and I haven't watched since episode 97... Could anyone quote my post here to talk about this upcoming special? (And only that while replying to this message) What do we know? Cross or single?
Apparently it's been confirmed to not be a Crossover, just a collab. Which I think just means that both specials will be using the same resources
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 am

JazzMazz wrote:[
For reference, it's good thing that you don't remember the re-tellings, espicially the ROF arc, which was easily the second worst arc ever and was worst from an animation stand-point.
Nah, that would be the Cell Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:54 am

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:[
For reference, it's good thing that you don't remember the re-tellings, espicially the ROF arc, which was easily the second worst arc ever and was worst from an animation stand-point.
Nah, that would be the Cell Saga.
I don't think the Cell saga was that good, it was overly confusing and had bad implications for the rest of the series, but at the very least it had some merits to it. I can't think of any merits to the Golden Freeza arc due to how contrived and poorly executed it was. Hence why it's the 2nd worst arc. Right before the Copy Vegeta arc.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 am

Master Roshi missed his golden chance to go down like a boss, if he goes down now there is very low chance it will be as impactful..
I will take a risk here and predict roshi ends up winning the tournament..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:26 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Master Roshi missed his golden chance to go down like a boss, if he goes down now there is very low chance it will be as impactful..
He would die, if Goku wouldnt revive Roshi with the God KI. This was Goku´s best scene in this Arc by far.
I was legit in tears the whole ending.

This Episode was an absolute masterpiece. It had everything.
Great storytelling and pacing, good action, amazing soundtrack, a rollercoaster of emotions from funny, tense, dramatic, sad and happy. :clap:

Beerus asking the name of the old man was the ultimate respect and its great character developement.

Roshi winning I would love it, but the outrage the DB Community would be massive, especially from the butthurt Yamcha Fans. :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:27 am

Ki Breaker wrote: I will take a risk here and predict roshi ends up winning the tournament..
Yeah, I agree. At this point it seems to be a given that the winner of the tournament is at least not going to be the strongest fighter. It'll be an odd character choice we don't expect.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 am

JazzMazz wrote: I don't think the Cell saga was that good, it was overly confusing and had bad implications for the rest of the series, but at the very least it had some merits to it. I can't think of any merits to the Golden Freeza arc due to how contrived and poorly executed it was. Hence why it's the 2nd worst arc. Right before the Copy Vegeta arc.
It was no more contrived than Android/Cell Saga and the story was an overall improvement over the movie. The only thing really bad was the animation during the Goku vs. Freeza fight. And I would watch Copy-Vegeta over the Cell Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 am

Kanassa wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: I will take a risk here and predict roshi ends up winning the tournament..
Yeah, I agree. At this point it seems to be a given that the winner of the tournament is at least not going to be the strongest fighter. It'll be an odd character choice we don't expect.
So you think they're going to pull a "Monaka"?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:43 am

Vegeta-Sama wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Master Roshi missed his golden chance to go down like a boss, if he goes down now there is very low chance it will be as impactful..
He would die, if Goku wouldnt revive Roshi with the God KI. This was Goku´s best scene in this Arc by far.

Great storytelling and pacing, good action, amazing soundtrack, a rollercoaster of emotions from funny, tense, dramatic, sad and happy. :clap:

Beerus asking the name of the old man was the ultimate respect and its great character developement.

Roshi winning I would love it, but the outrage the DB Community would be massive, especially from the butthurt Yamcha Fans. :lol:
I wonder how much of this was actually in Toriyama's outline.

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:44 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
So you think they're going to pull a "Monaka"?
More a Mr Satan from the One Piece cross over

Kanassa wrote:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 am

Kanassa wrote:
Vegeta-Sama wrote:

I wonder how much of this was actually in Toriyama's outline.
Need to wait a loong time to figure that out..
Unless manga decides to skip the exhibition matches, which it probably won't..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:48 am

HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I don't think the Cell saga was that good, it was overly confusing and had bad implications for the rest of the series, but at the very least it had some merits to it. I can't think of any merits to the Golden Freeza arc due to how contrived and poorly executed it was. Hence why it's the 2nd worst arc. Right before the Copy Vegeta arc.
It was no more contrived than Android/Cell Saga and the story was an overall improvement over the movie. The only thing really bad was the animation during the Goku vs. Freeza fight. And I would watch Copy-Vegeta over the Cell Saga.
Though I do agree it was no more contrived, the Cell saga at least suceeded in being cool and entertaining at points and even providing some decent character moments. The ROF arc doesn't even deliver on being entertaining and has no tension what so ever, it pretty much fails at it's original purpose, being a cool action arc about Freeza getting vengance.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 am

JazzMazz wrote: Though I do agree it was no more contrived, the Cell saga at least suceeded in being cool and entertaining at points and even providing some decent character moments. The ROF arc doesn't even deliver on being entertaining and has no tension what so ever, it pretty much fails at it's original purpose, being a cool action arc about Freeza getting vengance.
Tension is really overrated, especially in a series like Dragon Ball when you know the good guys will come out ahead no matter how many times Toriyama kills the cast. Not sure why people keep pretending Z had any real stakes.

And subjective, the Resurrection 'F' retelling had a lot of cool moments and it didn't have to rely on everyone being stupid like how every character held the idiot ball for Cell to become perfect.
Last edited by HeroR on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Need to wait a loong time to figure that out..
Unless manga decides to skip the exhibition matches, which it probably won't..
It would only be skipping if it wasn't a Toei-addition.

Kanassa wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 am

Kanassa wrote:
sangofe wrote:So, since I try not to be spoiled on super, and I haven't watched since episode 97... Could anyone quote my post here to talk about this upcoming special? (And only that while replying to this message) What do we know? Cross or single?
Apparently it's been confirmed to not be a Crossover, just a collab. Which I think just means that both specials will be using the same resources
Any news on the length?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

sangofe wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Any news on the length?
It's one hour, airing on October 8th.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:11 am

emperior wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Apparently it's been confirmed to not be a Crossover, just a collab. Which I think just means that both specials will be using the same resources
Any news on the length?
It's one hour, airing on October 8th.
Will there be a break for Dragon Ball Super when the one piece special is airing, then?

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:13 am

Kanassa wrote:
Meh, we're still not at the big players yet.

I see no world in which Roshi remains while everyone else is knocked out.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 am

Err... It's not about current arc but previous. Why Future Mai is young again if no Dragon Balls in Trunks's timeline since androids?
DBS sometimes feels like a big plothole.