"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm

I feel like the manga might take the approach of just following Goku as he jumps from battle to battle helping out his teammates and fighting all these other warriors to keep a narrative thread. The "skirmish of the week" format wouldn't work as well for the anime as the manga.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Noah wrote:Now we see him surviving Frost, an enemy worlds above him and using Mafuba for the second time.
That makes 0 sense at this point cause from the time Goku helped him till fighting Frost was...2-3 minutes at most ? how did he go form nearly dying to full power again ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Can't wait for the coming weeks. This has been by far the best arc in Super, after that overrated "psssh, nothing personal kid." was really mediocre to say the least.
Feels over Reals.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm

RedHeat wrote:Can't wait for the coming weeks. This has been by far the best arc in Super, after that overrated "psssh, nothing personal kid." was really mediocre to say the least.
What's wrong with ft trunks & zamas
BlueBasilisk wrote:I feel like the manga might take the approach of just following Goku as he jumps from battle to battle helping out his teammates and fighting all these other warriors to keep a narrative thread. The "skirmish of the week" format wouldn't work as well for the anime as the manga.
so what your saying is Goku is gonna all over the place in the manga
Last edited by The gr on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm

The gr wrote:
RedHeat wrote:Can't wait for the coming weeks. This has been by far the best arc in Super, after that overrated "psssh, nothing personal kid." was really mediocre to say the least.
What's wrong with ft trunks & zamas
I really like both arcs, especially the FT's one. The point of disliking an arc for me goes to the RoF one.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Super tried pulling something waaaaay out of their league.
104 and 105 were the only eps that stood out for me, the only thing that probably has me interested now is the new form and Jiren (if he turns out being the worst main enemy DB has ever had)
Yeah, a multi-sided free for all sounds good in theory, but with the budgetary limitations and time constraints of the people in charge, it's not very feasible. Most of the tournament has consisted of one small group fighting another small group or oftentimes just plain 1 vs 1 duels. Animating for eight teams going at it with each other can be very costly, but isn't that what the spirit of this tournament was supposed to be about -- a chaotic every side for themselves royale?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Hmm so Jake translated that visual as well. 8 remaining for both u7 and u6 by start of 109. Also no other universe is erased yet. That's kind of...weird lol. Now I'm not as excited for 107 :/.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Wait... So Master Roshi's still gonna be in by ep 109? Hell yeah, the dreams still alive! Now just have him win the tournament and this whole arc will be worth it! :D
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Hmm so Jake translated that visual as well. 8 remaining for both u7 and u6 by start of 109. Also no other universe is erased yet. That's kind of...weird lol. Now I'm not as excited for 107 :/.
Wait, really? The spoilers already sort of diminished my hopes for episode 107, but this makes things potentially more disappointing to me (subject to change, of course). Now, I like Master Roshi, and episode 105 was a good showing for his character, for the most part (*cough*Caway*cough*). However, I have no idea what he has left to offer to the tournament. Opponents like Frost are (or at least should be) leagues ahead of him. They should easily be able to one-shot the old man. I mean really, what can Roshi possibly contribute to a fight against an opponent like Toppo or Hit? Just let the turtle hermit go in an attempt at a blaze of glory, already!

There's only one possible thing I see him being able to contribute at this stage of the tournament: being one of the last men standing. And if that's the route they go, well... let's just say that's one gag that will be met with a very mixed reception.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm

No matter what happens Roshi is the real winner of the tournament. Surviving two Mafubas in the span of a few minutes while battling Frost. Are we sure the final battle wouldn't be Roshi vs Jiren? They may pull another Monaca. :lol:
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 pm

THANK YOU TOEI, I really thought she would eliminate Vegeta early.
Roshi is also strong in the tournament, even fighting Frost and using Mafuba twice.

But, what is the possibility of Jiren eliminating 90% of the participants in EP 109?
I hope they are not the strongest fighters, probably the fact that there are still 32 warriors remaining is only to serve as a ladder for him.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Roshi is STILL in this tournament..?

Geez. Not only did he have no business In this tournament but they're milking the crap out of him for no reason.
How i predict the tournament will end:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm

OK, the complains are getting a little out of hand. Roshi isn't getting "milked." He is far from it. Getting milked, is like Toei's history with Frieza. For all we know, Roshi may just get saved at the last minute by someone and/or be sitting on the sidelines because he is exhausted to the point of almost death (due to his repeated use of the Mafuba as well as his beating from Frost.) Give Roshi a break guys, just cause he isn't that string doesn't mean that he has to be eliminated already. He used brain over brawn in 105, so who knows what's gonna happen in the future.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 pm

I have to say though, it's weird Master Roshi's doing this well. This is the type of treatment I would expect Krillin had gotten... so they trashed Krillin and made Roshi back-up Krillin is what it feels like now.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:THANK YOU TOEI, I really thought she would eliminate Vegeta early.
Roshi is also strong in the tournament, even fighting Frost and using Mafuba twice.

But, what is the possibility of Jiren eliminating 90% of the participants in EP 109?
I hope they are not the strongest fighters, probably the fact that there are still 32 warriors remaining is only to serve as a ladder for him.
I don't think he'll take out 90%. I think he'll definitely stomp the shit out of Goku at some point, maybe defeat/eliminate a few others, as well as have people recognize his power since the spoilers describes his power as essentially being unbelievable in terms of power. I don't see him clearing out 90%, but you never know. For all we know, they could have Goku fight Jiren at first and get wrecked easily, then Jiren bodies several other fighters and then Goku has another fight with him. Or even, they could even have Jiren consider Goku so unworthy of his time he could body others while he fights Goku at the same time.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Roshi is the Pilaf Gang of this arc, in the sense of overstaying their welcome and stealing spotlight from other guys that needed it more(Tien, Piccolo, Cabba, etc).

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm

They didn't "trash" Krillin. He just didn't do as much as we were expecting. Which is a damn shame, but trashed would be if Krillin got flicked out of the ring, before doing anything or something like that. He had a damn fine recruitment episode and he has a pretty decent showing during the tourny itself. Krillin is fine.
perucho1990 wrote:Roshi is the Pilaf Gang of this arc, in the sense of overstaying their welcome and stealing spotlight from other guys that needed it more(Tien, Piccolo, Cabba, etc).
Not even close. The pilaf gang rarely has anything to contribute and often intruded where they are not needed and halting the story. Roshi does no such thing. He is there sometimes and has only "Stole the spotlight" in his own episode. Roshi hasn't stolen anything from anyone yet. Y'all are talking like Roshi is in every episode, taking up half or more the screen time.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm

I'd say Goku/Vegeta are treated the best, then Gohan, then 17 and 18, then Roshi, then Krillin, then Piccolo and then Tien.

I obviously can't list Freeza yet because they haven't done anything with him so far and he's being saved for the end.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Roshi is the Pilaf Gang of this arc, in the sense of overstaying their welcome and stealing spotlight from other guys that needed it more(Tien, Piccolo, Cabba, etc).
Yeah I mean I like Roshi in the tournament, and I don't mind him, his episode was actually pretty decent all things considered. But he kinda is a less offensive Pilaf Gang in the sense he really doesn't have much business being there. I like em...way more than Super has portrayed him before, which was fucking awful, but yeah...
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 pm

As much as I believe Roshi should be out already and there's no way in hell he should even be able to spar with Frost, there was nothing worse than the Pilaf Gang constantly showing up and hogging half of the episode time during Black Goku arc. That was the worst padding added to any arc ever IMO. Half of the episodes I would literally just skip through major portions because of too much Pilaf.

At least it shows what they can do with weaker characters, but that at the same time brings up the question why can't they make other weaker characters have good battles instead of getting KO'ed effortlessly by people like Goku or Hit. The way they're showing Roshi is actually what I kind of expected Krillin/Tien to be, and I'm fine with them choosing Roshi instead of those two, but they should be doing this with the weaker characters from other universes too not just U7. I mean as weak as Dercori was, her ability gives her the potential to ring out people who are much stronger than she is, but they put her against Roshi where she's immediately defeated by Mafuba.. it's that type of character wasting that makes the Roshi episode feel bittersweet after the previous episodes.
Last edited by Zagacious on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.