"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Does anyone else think Toei are deliberately trying to annoy fans by teasing Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina and then not showing anything?
Caulifla and Kale are well liked among the Japanese fans, so no, I'm pretty sure annoying anyone is not their intention. Building suspense maybe, but this fight isn't mean to be an appetizer; it's a big deal for the arc. I get that a lot of people here are not invested at all in this fight, but then again, the majority probablyeople are.
The episodes were structured before any fans had the chance to even like them so that is not a factor.

This fight is not a big deal as they are fighting Goku who is fighting them so he can recover.

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:31 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Does anyone else think Toei are deliberately trying to annoy fans by teasing Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina and then not showing anything?
Caulifla and Kale are well liked among the Japanese fans, so no, I'm pretty sure annoying anyone is not their intention. Building suspense maybe, but this fight isn't mean to be an appetizer; it's a big deal for the arc. I get that a lot of people here are not invested at all in this fight, but then again, the majority probablyeople are.
The episodes were structured before any fans had the chance to even like them so that is not a factor.

This fight is not a big deal as they are fighting Goku who is fighting them so he can recover.
They are not universally liked like hit.According to ken xyro,the latest episode got a 60% rating while cabba episode got 55%(the lowest) on fan polls.The highest rated episode was roshi's episode.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/924653260933394432
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Caulifla and Kale are well liked among the Japanese fans, so no, I'm pretty sure annoying anyone is not their intention. Building suspense maybe, but this fight isn't mean to be an appetizer; it's a big deal for the arc. I get that a lot of people here are not invested at all in this fight, but then again, the majority probablyeople are.
The episodes were structured before any fans had the chance to even like them so that is not a factor.

This fight is not a big deal as they are fighting Goku who is fighting them so he can recover.
It's not a big deal compared to Jiren, but they promoted these girls a bit too much not have their fight get a bit of a push. I wanted to see what the other fighters were doing, but I wasn't that surprised when they didn't cut away at all. They are getting three episodes in a row, the studio wants them to shine. It remains to be seen if they'll succeed.
Hawk9211 wrote: They are not universally liked like hit. According to ken xyro,the latest episode got a 60% rating while cabba episode got 55%(the lowest) on fan polls.The highest rated episode was roshi's episode.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/924653260933394432
Yeah, but was that because the episode was weak or because of the girls themselves? Oddly enough, I felt that Cabba's episode was a bit better.

User avatar
Torturephile
Regular
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Torturephile » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 am

Michsi wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: They are not universally liked like hit. According to ken xyro,the latest episode got a 60% rating while cabba episode got 55%(the lowest) on fan polls.The highest rated episode was roshi's episode.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/924653260933394432
Yeah, but was that because the episode was weak or because of the girls themselves? Oddly enough, I felt that Cabba's episode was a bit better.
I also thought that Cabba's episode was better.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Caulifla and Kale are well liked among the Japanese fans, so no, I'm pretty sure annoying anyone is not their intention. Building suspense maybe, but this fight isn't mean to be an appetizer; it's a big deal for the arc. I get that a lot of people here are not invested at all in this fight, but then again, the majority probablyeople are.
The episodes were structured before any fans had the chance to even like them so that is not a factor.

This fight is not a big deal as they are fighting Goku who is fighting them so he can recover.
It's not a big deal compared to Jiren, but they promoted these girls a bit too much not have their fight get a bit of a push. I wanted to see what the other fighters were doing, but I wasn't that surprised when they didn't cut away at all. They are getting three episodes in a row, the studio wants them to shine. It remains to be seen if they'll succeed.
Hawk9211 wrote: They are not universally liked like hit. According to ken xyro,the latest episode got a 60% rating while cabba episode got 55%(the lowest) on fan polls.The highest rated episode was roshi's episode.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/924653260933394432
Yeah, but was that because the episode was weak or because of the girls themselves? Oddly enough, I felt that Cabba's episode was a bit better.
Cabba episode was better and it actually seemed like a battle royale. In Episode 113 nothing really happened and you could tell they were struggling to fill the time episode.

They obviously wanted 100% focus on Goku vs Kale and Caulifla and it seems like that way in episode 114 as well and episode 115 will probably end up being the same.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SansrivaaL
I Live Here
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: Earth

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 am

Torturephile wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: They are not universally liked like hit. According to ken xyro,the latest episode got a 60% rating while cabba episode got 55%(the lowest) on fan polls.The highest rated episode was roshi's episode.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/924653260933394432
Yeah, but was that because the episode was weak or because of the girls themselves? Oddly enough, I felt that Cabba's episode was a bit better.
I also thought that Cabba's episode was better.
Because it was, Cabba's ep actually had a lot of stuffs happening and it moved the plot.
Cauli and Kale's ep had nothing besides... well it was literally what the title says and just that.
Anyways I dont know where that ken guy gets his info from but if its from online forums like 2ch or 4ch then yeah... thats not very reliable at least for me, people there are cancerous when it comes to waifu characters and ship wars... I've been there, scared the crap out of me.
Last edited by SansrivaaL on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: They obviously wanted 100% focus on Goku vs Kale and Caulifla and it seems like that way in episode 114 as well and episode 115 will probably end up being the same.
I hope not. Maybe the reason I liked the Cabba episode more was precisely because it wasn't 100% about him. Monna had a fun fighting style, I loved the 20 seconds the U6 namekians got, the second fiddle bit was funny, and Freeza was the cherry on top. So I'm hoping for at least some more glimpses at what the others are doing.

User avatar
hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by hardcorefakes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Does anyone else think Toei are deliberately trying to annoy fans by teasing Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina and then not showing anything?
At least they're getting this Kale/Caulifla garbage out of the way right now, rather than later.

I hope you understand though, the Namekians won't get nearly as much focus as these two have gotten. They'll have at least 5 episodes sunk into them (for no reason really) when this is all over. The Namekians will be lucky to have even half of that.

GuanYu
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GuanYu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 am

5 episodes for cauli/kale? that's great i<3 them
Last edited by GuanYu on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 am

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: They obviously wanted 100% focus on Goku vs Kale and Caulifla and it seems like that way in episode 114 as well and episode 115 will probably end up being the same.
I hope not. Maybe the reason I liked the Cabba episode more was precisely because it wasn't 100% about him. Monna had a fun fighting style, I loved the 20 seconds the U6 namekians got, the second fiddle bit was funny, and Freeza was the cherry on top. So I'm hoping for at least some more glimpses at what the others are doing.
Episode 112 got the Battle royale setting completely right and it flowed really good.

I think we really are in for 3 100% focused episodes. The preview for episode 114 is just like the one for episode 113 which was obviously just Goku vs Kale and Caulifla.
hardcorefakes wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Does anyone else think Toei are deliberately trying to annoy fans by teasing Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina and then not showing anything?
At least they're getting this Kale/Caulifla garbage out of the way right now, rather than later.

I hope you understand though, the Namekians won't get nearly as much focus as these two have gotten. They'll have at least 5 episodes sunk into them (for no reason really) when this is all over. The Namekians will be lucky to have even half of that.
No one else will get this treatment in the tournament but I will be easily satisfied will 2 or 3 episodes for the Namekians. They look like the last members of Universe 6 so they must have something to bring.

Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina could easily not even be focused on after the current fight. They could go focus on 17, 18 and Frieza or even Goku again.

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Yeah, but was that because the episode was weak or because of the girls themselves? Oddly enough, I felt that Cabba's episode was a bit better.
I also thought that Cabba's episode was better.
Because it was, Cabba's ep actually had a lot of stuffs happening and it moved the plot.
Cauli and Kale's ep had nothing besides... well it was literally what the title says and just that.
Anyways I dont know where that ken guy gets his info from but if its from online forums like 2ch or 4ch then yeah... thats not very reliable at least for me, people there are cancerous when it comes to waifu characters and ship wars... I've been there, scared the crap out of me.
If I remember correctly it was some twitter poll.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

User avatar
perucho1990
I Live Here
Posts: 2347
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:I don't know if I would call Caulifla a Mary Sue, I would call her a poorly written character tbh. I would say the same for Kale too. They're both very rushed, and I feel like they put minimal thought into them so they could focus on getting them merchandise materiel.
I get your point ,when there are sisters characters handled better in other series like

Ryuko and Satsuki
Akame and Kurome
Tatsumaki and Fubuki

User avatar
pacz360
I Live Here
Posts: 2542
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by pacz360 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:00 am

Doctor. wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote: His flaw is having no personality.
He does have a personality but you don't like it.
I don't think saying "It's over" and "Get lost" whilst flexing counts as having a personality.
So him calling hits pride foolish nor disrespecting goku in his face doesn't show signs of his personality
Okay then

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

pacz360 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
He does have a personality but you don't like it.
I don't think saying "It's over" and "Get lost" whilst flexing counts as having a personality.
So him calling hits pride foolish nor disrespecting goku in his face doesn't show signs of his personality
Okay then
As I said, his personality is basic. HeroR put it best. His personality is "stiff" at the moment but it is there.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5537
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 am

Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."

User avatar
hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by hardcorefakes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
One could only hope. Although, there are a few people clamoring for a U6 arc, but hopefully Toriyama doesn't give in to it. So many more interesting directions he could go in at this point.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5537
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 am

hardcorefakes wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
One could only hope. Although, there are a few people clamoring for a U6 arc, but hopefully Toriyama doesn't give in to it. So many more interesting directions he could go in at this point.
Totally agree. If they go to U6 Sadala, something tells me it would only be Goku and Vegeta who go and leave everyone else at home again. I hope we just have an arc just in U7 with the main cast. The more Toei pushes the girls, as seemingly new "additions" to the main cast, the less I want it to happen. They're better as one-offs like most tournament fighters.

User avatar
perucho1990
I Live Here
Posts: 2347
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
It will depend of popularity and merchandise, Trunks and Goten werent that popular world-wide for example.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
One could only hope. Although, there are a few people clamoring for a U6 arc, but hopefully Toriyama doesn't give in to it. So many more interesting directions he could go in at this point.
Totally agree. If they go to U6 Sadala, something tells me it would only be Goku and Vegeta who go and leave everyone else at home again.
Uuuuuugh! I can see that happen too. Fewer characters means fewer voice actors to pay and long running shows love cost-cutting tactics.

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3061
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 am

Michsi wrote:Uuuuuugh! I can see that happen too. Fewer characters means fewer voice actors to pay and long running shows love cost-cutting tactics.
It would make some sense though. Goku and Vegeta aside, who from the main cast except for maybe Bulma or Jaco would even want to visit the Saiyan homeworld?

Post Reply