"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 am

Toei are pushing Kale and Caulifla a lot becuase they know Saonel and Pilina will be the real fan favourites when they start to show them to us properly. :)
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:Uuuuuugh! I can see that happen too. Fewer characters means fewer voice actors to pay and long running shows love cost-cutting tactics.
It would make some sense though. Goku and Vegeta aside, who from the main cast except for maybe Bulma or Jaco would even want to visit the Saiyan homeworld?
They can drop Piccolo off at Planet Namek first.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
One could only hope. Although, there are a few people clamoring for a U6 arc, but hopefully Toriyama doesn't give in to it. So many more interesting directions he could go in at this point.
Totally agree. If they go to U6 Sadala, something tells me it would only be Goku and Vegeta who go and leave everyone else at home again. I hope we just have an arc just in U7 with the main cast. The more Toei pushes the girls, as seemingly new "additions" to the main cast, the less I want it to happen. They're better as one-offs like most tournament fighters.
I think both of you are having pipe dreams. Toriyama don't usually developed characters who are just one-offs. The last time tournament fighters got this amount of focused and development was for Tien and Piccolo. Cali and Kale are are also not the main antagonists of the arc, so why would Toriyama or Toei bothered to developed them and even give them a fused form if they were only for this one arc?

If they were really just the token 'female Saiyans' with no real importance, they would be treated like the U6 Namekians or even Cabba as he was in the Champa Saga.

Also, it would be really boring to have another arc primary in U7 since that is old hat at this point. I don't really just want the old Z cast again.
perucho1990 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just more or I feel like Cauli and Kale are getting all this rushed development is because they'll be one-hit wonders and after this never really appear again? just like "Look, female SSJs there happy? Ok bye."
It will depend of popularity and merchandise, Trunks and Goten werent that popular world-wide for example.
Toei looks primarily at Japan, not worldwide popularity. Also, it's Toriyama who decides what characters he uses for his story. Piccolo is extremely popular too, but he wasn't really part of the Future Trunks Saga and he got shafted hard in the Champa Saga.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:Uuuuuugh! I can see that happen too. Fewer characters means fewer voice actors to pay and long running shows love cost-cutting tactics.
It would make some sense though. Goku and Vegeta aside, who from the main cast except for maybe Bulma or Jaco would even want to visit the Saiyan homeworld?
I honestly don't think Goku cares for the U6 Saiyans in that way.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:04 am

HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
One could only hope. Although, there are a few people clamoring for a U6 arc, but hopefully Toriyama doesn't give in to it. So many more interesting directions he could go in at this point.
Totally agree. If they go to U6 Sadala, something tells me it would only be Goku and Vegeta who go and leave everyone else at home again. I hope we just have an arc just in U7 with the main cast. The more Toei pushes the girls, as seemingly new "additions" to the main cast, the less I want it to happen. They're better as one-offs like most tournament fighters.
I think both of you are having pipe dreams. Toriyama don't usually developed characters who are just one-offs. The last time tournament fighters got this amount of focused and development was for Tien and Piccolo. Cali and Kale are are also not the main antagonists of the arc, so why would Toriyama or Toei bothered to developed them and even give them a fused form if they were only for this one arc?

If they were really just the token 'female Saiyans' with no real importance, they would be treated like the U6 Namekians or even Cabba as he was in the Champa Saga.

Also, it would be really boring to have another arc primary in U7 since that is old hat at this point. I don't really just want the old Z cast again.
Toei making them more important than they are so they can sell merchandise for the first female Super Saiyans.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:05 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:Uuuuuugh! I can see that happen too. Fewer characters means fewer voice actors to pay and long running shows love cost-cutting tactics.
It would make some sense though. Goku and Vegeta aside, who from the main cast except for maybe Bulma or Jaco would even want to visit the Saiyan homeworld?
It does make sense, but that doesn't also make it fun (for me) I'm tired of the Goku/Vegeta duo.
Depending on what they do with the U6 namekians, they can develop a story line that gives Piccolo an incentive to visit U6 Namek.

In any case, the story is more fun when it involves more characters, even if they are there just for decoration. Seems livelier.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Toei making them more important than they are so they can sell merchandise for the first female Super Saiyans.
Unless you know what Toriyama is thinking, that is just you making assumptions again.
Michsi wrote:
It does make sense, but that doesn't also make it fun (for me) I'm tired of the Goku/Vegeta duo.
Depending on what they do with the U6 namekians, they can develop a story line that gives Piccolo an incentive to visit U6 Namek.

In any case, the story is more fun when it involves more characters, even if they are there just for decoration. Seems livelier.
I strongly disagree with this and it's one of the things I really hated about the Android/Cell Saga. If you're not going to do anything with a character and they're just there, don't used them. It's better to have a smaller cast that moves the story like in the Namek/Freeza Saga than a bloated cast where more are just there to suck air.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

HeroR wrote: I strongly disagree with this and it's one of the things I really hated about the Android/Cell Saga. If you're not going to do anything with a character and they're just there, don't used them. It's better to have a smaller cast that moves the story like in the Namek/Freeza Saga than a bloated cast where more are just there to suck air.

Well, my line of thinking here was mostly influenced by what I imagine the Sadal visit would be like: short, fan-servicy and mostly SOL. If they'd intend to give it a longer arc with a serious plot, then yes, I'd rather have them give the entire cast something to do.
I love small nonsensical interaction between characters, so I'd rather have them be there.

User avatar
perucho1990
I Live Here
Posts: 2347
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 am

Planet Sadala Arc could work as a long Arc imo.

The antagonist can be someone who relies on his gimmick/techniques which makes him very strong, DBS has been telling us that Skills and techniques matter unlike in Z. Hell you could include weapons that are somehow capable of dmging Blue tier people, just deliver and proper explanation and no one will complain.

I would want the fights where characters often win using strategy or outsmarting the opponent instead of relying on brute strength.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote: I strongly disagree with this and it's one of the things I really hated about the Android/Cell Saga. If you're not going to do anything with a character and they're just there, don't used them. It's better to have a smaller cast that moves the story like in the Namek/Freeza Saga than a bloated cast where more are just there to suck air.

Well, my line of thinking here was mostly influenced by what I imagine the Sadal visit would be like: short, fan-servicy and mostly SOL. If they'd intend to give it a longer arc with a serious plot, then yes, I'd rather have them give the entire cast something to do.
I love small nonsensical interaction between characters, so I'd rather have them be there.
I really don't want the entire U7 cast in U6 like a family vacation.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Toei making them more important than they are so they can sell merchandise for the first female Super Saiyans.
Unless you know what Toriyama is thinking, that is just you making assumptions again.
Michsi wrote:
It does make sense, but that doesn't also make it fun (for me) I'm tired of the Goku/Vegeta duo.
Depending on what they do with the U6 namekians, they can develop a story line that gives Piccolo an incentive to visit U6 Namek.

In any case, the story is more fun when it involves more characters, even if they are there just for decoration. Seems livelier.
I strongly disagree with this and it's one of the things I really hated about the Android/Cell Saga. If you're not going to do anything with a character and they're just there, don't used them. It's better to have a smaller cast that moves the story like in the Namek/Freeza Saga than a bloated cast where more are just there to suck air.
A lot of what everyone says about Dragon Ball is an assumption. They are simply getting way too much attention for characters that are not the main enemy.

I want a lot of the cast to go on a potential Universe 6 journey as it would be more fun with all the interactions between them.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 pm

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote: I strongly disagree with this and it's one of the things I really hated about the Android/Cell Saga. If you're not going to do anything with a character and they're just there, don't used them. It's better to have a smaller cast that moves the story like in the Namek/Freeza Saga than a bloated cast where more are just there to suck air.

Well, my line of thinking here was mostly influenced by what I imagine the Sadal visit would be like: short, fan-servicy and mostly SOL. If they'd intend to give it a longer arc with a serious plot, then yes, I'd rather have them give the entire cast something to do.
I love small nonsensical interaction between characters, so I'd rather have them be there.
I really don't want the entire U7 cast in U6 like a family vacation.
With me, it depends on what they plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious arc, then a smaller cast will do nicely (just not Goku/ Vegeta exclusively please!!!!)
But if it's just one or a couple of episodes meant to be light-hearted fun, then the more the merrier.
Problem is I don't have high expectations regarding Sadal either way. Interesting locations and rich world-building aren't really DB's strong points

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Well, my line of thinking here was mostly influenced by what I imagine the Sadal visit would be like: short, fan-servicy and mostly SOL. If they'd intend to give it a longer arc with a serious plot, then yes, I'd rather have them give the entire cast something to do.
I love small nonsensical interaction between characters, so I'd rather have them be there.
I really don't want the entire U7 cast in U6 like a family vacation.
With me, it depends on what they plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious arc, then a smaller cast will do nicely (just not Goku/ Vegeta exclusively please!!!!)
But if it's just one or a couple of episodes meant to be light-hearted fun, then the more the merrier.
Problem is I don't have high expectations regarding Sadal either way. Interesting locations and rich world-building aren't really DB's strong points
Just hope that the idea for next arc is not given by Toei to Toriyama as it will probably be just end up being Goku and Vegeta focused.

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4514
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:15 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I really don't want the entire U7 cast in U6 like a family vacation.
With me, it depends on what they plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious arc, then a smaller cast will do nicely (just not Goku/ Vegeta exclusively please!!!!)
But if it's just one or a couple of episodes meant to be light-hearted fun, then the more the merrier.
Problem is I don't have high expectations regarding Sadal either way. Interesting locations and rich world-building aren't really DB's strong points
Just hope that the idea for next arc is not given by Toei to Toriyama as it will probably be just end up being Goku and Vegeta focused.
You mean that Toei comes up with the general idea and Toriyama makes a story out of it? Because I remember you having more faith in Toriyama than in Toei.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
A lot of what everyone says about Dragon Ball is an assumption. They are simply getting way too much attention for characters that are not the main enemy.

I want a lot of the cast to go on a potential Universe 6 journey as it would be more fun with all the interactions between them.
Except most don't pushed their assumptions as fact, like you did. You said with absolution that Toei was pushing Cali and Kale for marketing, assuming that their role in the story is all Toei and nothing to do with Toriyama and his outline.

More characters isn't always better. For the most part, it bloats the story.
Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
With me, it depends on what they plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious arc, then a smaller cast will do nicely (just not Goku/ Vegeta exclusively please!!!!)
But if it's just one or a couple of episodes meant to be light-hearted fun, then the more the merrier.
Problem is I don't have high expectations regarding Sadal either way. Interesting locations and rich world-building aren't really DB's strong points
Just hope that the idea for next arc is not given by Toei to Toriyama as it will probably be just end up being Goku and Vegeta focused.
You mean that Toei comes up with the general idea and Toriyama makes a story out of it? Because I remember you having more faith in Toriyama than in Toei.
Which is funny since Toriyama doesn't have the best record with the extended cast himself. There is a reason why 'wait for Goku' became a meme.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
With me, it depends on what they plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious arc, then a smaller cast will do nicely (just not Goku/ Vegeta exclusively please!!!!)
But if it's just one or a couple of episodes meant to be light-hearted fun, then the more the merrier.
Problem is I don't have high expectations regarding Sadal either way. Interesting locations and rich world-building aren't really DB's strong points
Just hope that the idea for next arc is not given by Toei to Toriyama as it will probably be just end up being Goku and Vegeta focused.
You mean that Toei comes up with the general idea and Toriyama makes a story out of it? Because I remember you having more faith in Toriyama than in Toei.
Exactly, that is why I hope the story is made up by Toriyama as I think we will have a better chamce at having a bigger cast. I think Toei's general idea for an arc will be Goku and Vegeta does something and ignore the rest.
HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
A lot of what everyone says about Dragon Ball is an assumption. They are simply getting way too much attention for characters that are not the main enemy.

I want a lot of the cast to go on a potential Universe 6 journey as it would be more fun with all the interactions between them.
Except most don't pushed their assumptions as fact, like you did. You said with absolution that Toei was pushing Cali and Kale for marketing, assuming that their role in the story is all Toei and nothing to do with Toriyama and his outline.

More characters isn't always better. For the most part, it bloats the story.
You can tell though by episode 113 as they struggled to make the content last the whole episode.

This arc will derermine how good a big cast can be.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: You can tell though by episode 113 as they struggled to make the content last the whole episode.

This arc will derermine how good a big cast can be.
This didn't struggled since the fight was a mixed of sparring match, Goku being a mentor, Goku getting back his stamina, and Kale's growth. You may not like these things, but the episode had no problem filling time.

It really doesn't since this is a tournament setting, so the weaker characters can shine because of the ring-out rule and no killing, as Krillin showed Gohan. Outside of Roshi's Evil Containment Wave, all the humans characters wouldn't last in a live fight outside of fighting something like Freeza's soldiers.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by hardcorefakes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

HeroR wrote:Toriyama don't usually developed characters who are just one-offs. The last time tournament fighters got this amount of focused and development was for Tien and Piccolo. Cali and Kale are are also not the main antagonists of the arc, so why would Toriyama or Toei bothered to developed them and even give them a fused form if they were only for this one arc.
Yeah, no. They aren't becoming "main additions" to the cast. That's an even larger pipe dream. Hit got plenty of focus in the U6 tournament arc, and it's not like he's super relevant.

The story will always revolve around the main cast. Trying to force in Kale and Caulifla doesn't really make sense when they don't really add anything, other than being female Super Saiyans. Same can be said for Cabba just being another Super Saiyan (though he's less irritating in general).

I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see them again, but they won't be regulars on the show. If Hit didn't become one, chances are these two won't either.

User avatar
Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here
Posts: 2456
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Alruneia wrote:
HeroR wrote: Not seeing how this picture shows Cali as a dirty fighter. I took martial art classes for years and punching in the mouth isn’t dirty even in tourument rules. That’s why you wear mouth guards.
You've been busy defending Caulifla lately, haven't you?
I loathe Caulifla, but if her detractors can butt in to voice their dislike in practically every thread then it makes sense for those who enjoy the character to jump in at any good opportunity and defend her.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

User avatar
perucho1990
I Live Here
Posts: 2347
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Lemmy, you mentioned in the other thread that Caulifla is being pushed down the fans throats but it was the same for Goten and Trunks in Z, hell they got more screen time in Z than Caulifla and Kale got in DBS.

They even got their own movie and OVA(Movie 11 and 2008 OVA).

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15092
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:45 pm

I do think Caulifla and Kale are doomed(?) to Hit and Cabba status as characters that'll only reappear in filler episodes once/if this arc ever ends.

I think they'd be a part of a Planet Salad arc if we do get that arc in the future, but I can't see Caulifla abandoning the gang she leads for Uni 7. And Kale follows Caulifla so.


Unrelated, but man am I anxious for those 4 pages of dropped plot stuff in dbs manga volume four.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Blank
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Blank » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 pm

I need to ask. Why do some people need to justify the bad writing of some characters with the bad writing of others?

Post Reply