"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Araki » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Not exactly sure what drugs you’re taking, but I’d like some.

Herms has not posted these spoilers. Why lie?
Here is the link

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/938484340157116416
The 'spoilers' listed with an episode for 31 December is almost certainly fake.
Definitely. There'll most certainly be an episode on December 24th, but on the 31st? Zero chance.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Michsi wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
He did though. Either my expectations were way below yours, but the past couple of episodes, with 118 on top, were great compared to what he got before this arc.
As I have said many times before we want a Piccolo solo fight that is memorable in the future.

Yes, we want but that isn't a guaranty for anything. People want Vegata to have UI, people want Gohan to win the tournament, doesn't mean they;ll be getting it.
I'm surprised when people say they expected Piccolo to do more even after 118, when previous arcs have treated him so badly and he's not been promoted as a key player of this arc.
The answer is because it is Piccolo. There are standards the fanbase has in general for each character. We expect them to be met. Promotion will never change these standards epescially as they have already promoted some characters who did not deserve it.

Episode 118 was a lot about Gohan as well and Goku was stealing screen time again and even 17 and 18.

Piccolo being treated badly comes mostly from episode 34 and I doubt no big Piccolo fan will ever be as pissed as they were at the end of that specific episode.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Piccolo felt more like an ancillary weapon's piece than the main focus and drive of episode 118. It's been stated before but Piccolo should not have had to share his one and only physical encounter with members of his species with anyone else. Now that the U6 Namekians are gone Piccolo doesn't have much direction left. Does that he mean he's all dried up for this arc, so to speak? Maybe, but I feel it would be an injustice to have him put aside after so little was offered to him without Gohan rubbing shoulders with him. Gohan still has opportunities to distinguish himself. What does Piccolo have?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Lionel wrote:Piccolo felt more like an ancillary weapon's piece than the main focus and drive of episode 118. It's been stated before but Piccolo should not have had to share his one and only physical encounter with members of his species with anyone else. Now that the U6 Namekians are gone Piccolo doesn't have much direction left. Does that he mean he's all dried up for this arc, so to speak? Maybe, but I feel it would be an injustice to have him put aside after so little was offered to him without Gohan rubbing shoulders with him. Gohan still has opportunities to distinguish himself. What does Piccolo have?
Exactly it had too much Gohan to be Piccolo's own moment. It is why I still believe he has something left in the tournament even if it is with Gohan again.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Lionel wrote:Piccolo felt more like an ancillary weapon's piece than the main focus and drive of episode 118. It's been stated before but Piccolo should not have had to share his one and only physical encounter with members of his species with anyone else. Now that the U6 Namekians are gone Piccolo doesn't have much direction left. Does that he mean he's all dried up for this arc, so to speak? Maybe, but I feel it would be an injustice to have him put aside after so little was offered to him without Gohan rubbing shoulders with him. Gohan still has opportunities to distinguish himself. What does Piccolo have?

I'd argue that he actually had one of the best character moments of this arc, even if it was short; having his resolve falter in the face of what was as much an emotional onslaught as it was a physical one, and then finding it again thanks to Gohan. The whole role reversal was well done, so much so that I'm willing to overlook the 'meat shield' bit from 106 now that I know it was from the same episode writer. They were probably building up to that moment.
Yes, I also long for a combat driven performance, but I'll take this over him getting yelled off the ring because a saiyan wants a shot of the opponent or something.

I keep saying, Saonel and Pirina felt specifically tailored for the Gohan/Piccolo duo, and the fact that they were namekian was secondary. It was always going to include Gohan.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Michsi wrote:

I'd argue that he actually had one of the best character moments of this arc, even if it was short; having his resolve falter in the face of what was as much an emotional onslaught as it was a physical one, and then finding it again thanks to Gohan. The whole role reversal was well done, so much so that I'm willing to overlook the 'meat shield' bit from 106 now that I know it was from the same episode writer. They were probably building up to that moment.
Yes, I also long for a combat driven performance, but I'll take this over him getting yelled off the ring because a saiyan wants a shot of the opponent or something.

I keep saying, Saonel and Pirina felt specifically tailored for the Gohan/Piccolo duo, and the fact that they were namekian was secondary. It was always going to include Gohan.
We could have more combat from Piccolo in this fight if they made him stronger. They mentioned he got stronger before the tournament and we haven't really seen anything. I will never understand why these big power gaps exist and I don't see how it makes the series better. I don't get the point of Krillin and Tien being so weak.

The most annoying thing about Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pirina is that is was not longer. Saonel and Pirina are 2 tough opponents and were great to watch and they barely got any screen compared to other characters.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't see why you even expect Piccolo to have a big solo fight it hasn't happened since the cell arc. Piccolo's moment in 118 was solid and it was a nice resolution to his little arc with Gohan. The chance of Piccolo getting a solo fight now are basically 0.At best he'll continue to assist the Gohan or maybe the androids. I'd argue 17 is the one hasn't done enough considering all the promotion and the 2 episodes they dedicated to him.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Until we get a scan, I'm not buying this crap. Why can't people just wait for the scans?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Beyond wrote:I don't see why you even expect Piccolo to have a big solo fight it hasn't happened since the cell arc. Piccolo's moment in 118 was solid and it was a nice resolution to his little arc with Gohan. The chance of Piccolo getting a solo fight now are basically 0.At best he'll continue to assist the Gohan or maybe the androids. I'd argue 17 is the one hasn't done enough considering all the promotion and the 2 episodes they dedicated to him.
There are 70 potential opponents in this tournament so why shouldn't I expect a solo fight that lasts more than 15 seconds for Piccolo? Roshi did so there is no excuse for any of the other fighters from Universe 7 to not get one.

Androids will barely get anything especially 18. They still need big fights for Goku, Vegeta and Frieza so I don't really know what Gohan could end up doing now.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 pm

omaro34 wrote:Until we get a scan, I'm not buying this crap. Why can't people just wait for the scans?
Because they can't wait to get attention before the others.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

If Universe 7 is down to 5 members by the end of the tournament, it's obviously going to be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza and 17.

It would be nice if all 5 of them make it to Jiren even, after they take out Toppo and Dyspo.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

precita wrote:If Universe 7 is down to 5 members by the end of the tournament, it's obviously going to be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza and 17.

It would be nice if all 5 of them make it to Jiren even, after they take out Toppo and Dyspo.
Fake spoilers. No scans yet. So nothing to speculate so far

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 am

Lionel wrote:Piccolo has one of the largest targets on his back at the moment. Only #18 has better odds of being eliminated next episode over everyone's favourite Namekian. It would be a huge shame if he was eliminated because so little genuine choregraphical combat has been given to him. They can give the U6 Saiyan girls multiple episodes worth of screen time against several opponents from different universes, including Goku himself, but providing for some of the home cast isn't ostensibly doable. This grievance isn't limited to just Piccolo either. Several of U7's team seemed to have had lacklustre performances that leave a lot to be desired in retrospect. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing #18 and Goku. But what are you going to do? The anime developers must feel that the latter is a necessity to maintaining some level of quality for each episode.
I have no problem with 18 since she only had one real fight in all of Z despite being part of the main cast. No, she really didn't fight Cell since she spent more time running from him and her fight with Mighty Mask also barely qualifies. She then have no fights in Super, unless we count the team-up with Beerus. To me, this is 18 making up for lost time.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:It is why I still believe he has something left in the tournament even if it is with Gohan again.
That's a big issue I have with how both characters are written in the anime and that's they both for some reason can't be separated. Would it have been so hard to let Piccolo go on his own and fight the Namakians while Gohan was doing something completely different ? They have a special relationship so it's expected for them to have screentime together but they're also their own characters so let them be that. Both are among DBs best characters for me yet among the worst written in modern DB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 am

I am going to have to disagree, but from a power point-of-view. Namely, there was no way Piccolo could have soloed those Namekians. Before they awakened, he may have been able to take one of them, but not both. After they awakened, Piccolo lost any chance of beating even one of them by himself.

Which I think is perfectly fair since it would be extremely lackluster for these Namekians to merged with so many people and still only be even with Piccolo. Having them being up to par with one of U7's powerhouses, which Piccolo isn't to be blunt, worked better overall and the Namekians were built as a team battle since they worked so well together, so it makes sense why Piccolo didn't solo them.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 am

Torturephile wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Until we get a scan, I'm not buying this crap. Why can't people just wait for the scans?
Because they can't wait to get attention before the others.
This makes absolutely no sense. It's because they're impatient and overeager/naive. WTF does attention mongering have to do with looking for spoilers lmao?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

My grievances with Piccolo's prospective fight with Saonel and Pirina is focusing moreso on the narrative potential and significance than its power element. The team element of the fight is noted, but with the nature and subtext of Piccolo's encounter with these Namekians, his supporting capacity while Gohan takes the reigns detracts from the unique experience, in my opinion. Two cooperating contestants doesn't always have to necessitate an equivalent response. We saw that various times like with the Trio de Dangers, prior to Goku and Vegeta pooling their attacks together for the final blast, and more recently Goku taking on the U6 Saiyan girls by himself.

On the matter of #18, I'm not sure what constitutes as sufficient back-pay but I feel she's been given her dues with the various fights she's partaken in against three different universes (not counting her off-screen bout with Sorrel), one of which happened to include bringing down the most prominent competitor. You still have two other U7 participants that are need of a substantive self-concentrated episode or several worth of material, not counting Goku, Gohan, or #17. I doubt very many people anticipated her to hold for so long and receive so much, on one or two occasions at what seems to be at the expense of other anticipated fights (Ribrianne being the example). Now after having come to Goku's aid for the second time now and bringing down Universe 2's most notable competitor, what else does she need?
Last edited by Lionel on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Not exactly sure what drugs you’re taking, but I’d like some.

Herms has not posted these spoilers. Why lie?
Here is the link

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/938484340157116416
The 'spoilers' listed with an episode for 31 December is almost certainly fake.
Where does it say 31st? 122 is likely to be January 7th and that WILL be in the listings this month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 am

According to Kagari, the scans are out and the titles are real.
Kanassa wrote:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 am

Real huh, shame, they sound pretty bland in general..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker