"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:19 am

Are they going to kill 17 off?!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am

precita wrote:Super's declining ratings in 2017 were probably a part of it. 2017 ratings plummeted that entire year from its first two years in 2015-2016.
That sounds like just your personal wish, but stop spreading misinformation. DBS was never even close to leave the top 10, unlike other successful long running such as Pokemon or Pretty Cure that have fairly lower ratings.
Even with the Kamen Rider competition, ratings didn't drop much - and DVR more than made up for it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 am

If that does refer to 17 it sounds like some kind of last line of defense walling tactic than a suicide attack. I guess he's still fighting Toppo? :think:

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:55 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:So are people still in denial of super ending? The more yall deny it, the more it will hurt once its over.
No denial here. It's ending, at least for the time being. Off the schedule, out of production. But the series permanently ending isn't confirmed. That's all I'm saying.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The English Toei account just tweet out Super is coming to end as well.

Are they ever going to explain why?
Isn't this enough confirmation that Super is ending, not on a hiatus? Where are people getting "hiatus" from? The DB series will continue on through movies, games, etc, but that doesn't mean it'll be under the Super brand. Seriously, what source does "hiatus" explicitly come from?
Toei and Fuji TV haven't said the show is permanently ending or that it's on hiatus, really. They're being vague, perhaps intentionally.

Check the wording of their tweet again: "Thank you for all your love and support for #DragonBallSuper! The Universe Survival Saga will reach its conclusion at the end of March, but the 20th Dragon Ball feature film is currently in production and the series continues its English dub run on Toonami! Dragon Ball lives on!"

All it says is that the Universe Survival Saga is concluding and that the movie is in production. They don't say a word about Super's status beyond that.

Fuji TV's statement is: "The series presently on air will end here for now. ... At present it is ending; beyond that is still undecided.". Only saying the show is ending for the time being, keeping the future vague and without confirming it's ending permanently. The "for now" is where the hiatus speculation comes from.

And that's the key point I'm trying to make: until official word from Shueisha, Toei, or Fuji TV comes out saying the show's permanently over or it's on hiatus, everything is speculation.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:09 am

A popular show that does this hiatus thing pretty frequently is Gintama, so maybe people hope this is a similar case?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 am

Bryesque wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:So are people still in denial of super ending? The more yall deny it, the more it will hurt once its over.
No denial here. It's ending, at least for the time being. Off the schedule, out of production. But the series permanently ending isn't confirmed. That's all I'm saying.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The English Toei account just tweet out Super is coming to end as well.

Are they ever going to explain why?
Isn't this enough confirmation that Super is ending, not on a hiatus? Where are people getting "hiatus" from? The DB series will continue on through movies, games, etc, but that doesn't mean it'll be under the Super brand. Seriously, what source does "hiatus" explicitly come from?
Toei and Fuji TV haven't said the show is permanently ending or that it's on hiatus, really. They're being vague, perhaps intentionally.

Check the wording of their tweet again: "Thank you for all your love and support for #DragonBallSuper! The Universe Survival Saga will reach its conclusion at the end of March, but the 20th Dragon Ball feature film is currently in production and the series continues its English dub run on Toonami! Dragon Ball lives on!"

All it says is that the Universe Survival Saga is concluding and that the movie is in production. They don't say a word about Super's status beyond that.

Fuji TV's statement is: "The series presently on air will end here for now. ... At present it is ending; beyond that is still undecided.". Only saying the show is ending for the time being, keeping the future vague and without confirming it's ending permanently. The "for now" is where the hiatus speculation comes from.

And that's the key point I'm trying to make: until official word from Shueisha, Toei, or Fuji TV comes out saying the show's permanently over or it's on hiatus, everything is speculation.

No need for much Speculation. They are never gonna say its ending because it might dampen the interest in the ending ToP. Its ending. Period. And i thing its over for a Dragon Ball Anime series

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

Bryesque wrote:"The Universe Survival Saga will reach its conclusion at the end of March, but the 20th Dragon Ball feature film is currently in production"

"The series presently on air will end here for now, beyond that is still undecided"
Both undirectly confirm that Super or a new show will be back on the air come 2019 (it makes too much $$$ not to) as both say nothing about it ending but just the arc itself and for the time being.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Bryesque wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote: Isn't this enough confirmation that Super is ending, not on a hiatus? Where are people getting "hiatus" from? The DB series will continue on through movies, games, etc, but that doesn't mean it'll be under the Super brand. Seriously, what source does "hiatus" explicitly come from?

No need for much Speculation. They are never gonna say its ending because it might dampen the interest in the ending ToP. Its ending. Period. And i thing its over for a Dragon Ball Anime series
No you’re only saying that because you WANT it to be over. I can’t believe you even call yourself a Dragonball fan!

It’s not “ending for good”. Period. A little reason and logic goes a long way guys. It makes ZERO sense for the story to NOT continue past the ToP arc. Sure, they might change the series name to something else instead of Super (even though i see ZERO point in doing something as pointless, stupid and absurd as that) but hey! Not everyone can make great choices apparently. But it’s inevitable that the actual in-universe story WILL continue at one point or another in the future. And i will stand behind that through and through!

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am

Professor Freeza wrote:No need for much Speculation. They are never gonna say its ending because it might dampen the interest in the ending ToP. Its ending. Period. And i thing its over for a Dragon Ball Anime series
Maybe. Maybe not. None of us know anything for sure, so declarative statements of "fact" are kind of silly right now. Speculation is pretty natural at times like these, but let's keep it in check.

And I'm gonna personally make a promise not to throw any "I told you so"s around if Super (or a direct Super followup) does return, and I hope everyone on the other side of speculation can promise the same if it doesn't. Whatever happens... a correct guess is still just a guess. :wink:
sintzu wrote:
Bryesque wrote:"The Universe Survival Saga will reach its conclusion at the end of March, but the 20th Dragon Ball feature film is currently in production"

"The series presently on air will end here for now, beyond that is still undecided"
Both undirectly confirm that Super or a new show will be back on the air come 2019 (it makes too much $$$ not to) as both say nothing about it ending but just the arc itself and for the time being.
That seems like the most logical path to me, anyway. They covered that very well in the last podcast, too. Super has been massively successful for licensing/merchandising, far more than the previous movies and any other "event" revival. Having a weekly show on TV boosts sales massively, and they're only on the rise at this point. From a business perspective, there's no reason to stop the show unless they absolutely have to for production reasons.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 am

JulieYBM wrote:Dragon Ball Super is ending. That's okay. Just wait a year or two and a new series will definitely enter production. Don't look at the calendar and you won't notice how long it is until Christmas.
Nah, I think another 18 years would be fine. Then we could finally have an outstanding animated TV series from the beginning to end.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 am

Bryesque wrote:From a business perspective, there's no reason to stop the show unless they absolutely have to for production reasons.
Toriyama still wants to write stories which was the biggest issue with bringing back a show back in the day so with him still interested (based on previous interviews) then there shouldn't be a problem cause he's on board and the sales are skyhigh.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:23 am

Noah wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Dragon Ball Super is ending. That's okay. Just wait a year or two and a new series will definitely enter production. Don't look at the calendar and you won't notice how long it is until Christmas.
Nah, I think another 18 years would be fine. Then we could finally have an outstanding animated TV series from the beginning to end.
Yes, lets kill the momentum we got going on here. That won't backfire, drastically. It's not like Dragon ball wasn't dead before for a while there that it took 18 years to get a freaking movie when it was popping out 2 a year,.

This guy knows how to make money and keep a series alive.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 am

Noah wrote:
Then we could finally have an outstanding animated TV series from the beginning to end.
What makes you think of that?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:29 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Bryesque wrote: No denial here. It's ending, at least for the time being. Off the schedule, out of production. But the series permanently ending isn't confirmed. That's all I'm saying.

No you’re only saying that because you WANT it to be over. I can’t believe you even call yourself a Dragonball fan!

It’s not “ending for good”. Period. A little reason and logic goes a long way guys. It makes ZERO sense for the story to NOT continue past the ToP arc. Sure, they might change the series name to something else instead of Super (even though i see ZERO point in doing something as pointless, stupid and absurd as that) but hey! Not everyone can make great choices apparently. But it’s inevitable that the actual in-universe story WILL continue at one point or another in the future. And i will stand behind that through and through!
People who shout at others that they arent Real fans arent true fans themselves.

I'm clueless about what to do post DBS. I even posted about this here. Stop imagining things, kid

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
I'm clueless about what to do post DBS.
[spoiler]So DBS is the only thing in the world that entertains you or makes you do something? A single cartoon? There are countless other shows which are far greater than Dragon Ball. Each season has some interesting shows and based on your comment, I guess you have a lot of old shows to watch as well. Not only shows but you have videos games and all other stuff. The world is bigger than what you think. You don't even have to stick with the shonen fighting genre.[/spoiler]

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 am

I have to say I'm legitimately frightened by some people's reactions to this and it is likely exasperated by the false assumptions that Super was making too much money to end so I can definitely understand why people would feel so blindsided if they bought into that idea.

However, seeing how people are reacting to this news I'm hoping the ending is satisfying enough for people and I'm actually worried that there may be a lot of disappointment when it does drop.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm

sintzu wrote:These were the leaks :

126 : Freezer is exhausted after the phenomenal power of God of Destruction Toppo. In this desperate situation, an explosion of anger invades Vegeta!

127 : Something strange is happening on Vegeta after receiving a powerful blow from Toppo. At this moment, C-17 turns its energy batteries into a bomb, but that has no effect. Freezer feels the loss of the one who never judged him, and fights with all he has against the God Toppo!

128 : Jiren's wish is revealed to all those attending the Tournament. The Gods are speechless, but Goku does not give up and activates the Ultra Instinct again. But this time, something is different ...?

129 : With only one minute remaining, Universe 7 is petrified by fate, with Goku and Vegeta completely exhausted. While Beerus is short of ideas, he talks to Shin

130 : It's the race against time! Goku and Vegeta merged into Vegetto, but Jiren's power continues to increase dramatically, when suddenly ...

131 : Some time has passed since the Tournament of Power. Goku trains with Goten, and then he learns that an interesting person has just registered for a tournament ...

It looks like 127 was true so if we can assume the others are as well then we're in for an amazing ending. We'll get Vegetto back and possibly go beyond EOZ when Super or a new show airs next year, maybe even in the next movie. It looks like 17 might die which will be another hit to GT being canon and we seem to be getting a Vegeta and Freeza team up against Toppo. What I can't wait to see is what they do with Freeza at the end as he may be turning a new leaf and if any of the universes will be wished back. Keep in mind that 127 could've just been a lucky guess and everything after will be completely different but based on what we know they seem possible. If 17 dies then it'll make sense for Goku to train Uub to replace him for the next tournament that'll eventually be between U7 and the other 4 universes. In terms of the ending, I think the "suddenly" is time running out before the fight ends.
Duude wtf ? lol where did you get the idea that 17 will die ? that's not going to happen. they won't kill him off 17 has a family as well and they won't kill a beloved character like that. this show is not as dark as it used to be and even he does die which is highly unlikely they would revive him.

SuperRose

Post by SuperRose » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
sintzu wrote:These were the leaks :

126 : Freezer is exhausted after the phenomenal power of God of Destruction Toppo. In this desperate situation, an explosion of anger invades Vegeta!

127 : Something strange is happening on Vegeta after receiving a powerful blow from Toppo. At this moment, C-17 turns its energy batteries into a bomb, but that has no effect. Freezer feels the loss of the one who never judged him, and fights with all he has against the God Toppo!

128 : Jiren's wish is revealed to all those attending the Tournament. The Gods are speechless, but Goku does not give up and activates the Ultra Instinct again. But this time, something is different ...?

129 : With only one minute remaining, Universe 7 is petrified by fate, with Goku and Vegeta completely exhausted. While Beerus is short of ideas, he talks to Shin

130 : It's the race against time! Goku and Vegeta merged into Vegetto, but Jiren's power continues to increase dramatically, when suddenly ...

131 : Some time has passed since the Tournament of Power. Goku trains with Goten, and then he learns that an interesting person has just registered for a tournament ...

It looks like 127 was true so if we can assume the others are as well then we're in for an amazing ending. We'll get Vegetto back and possibly go beyond EOZ when Super or a new show airs next year, maybe even in the next movie. It looks like 17 might die which will be another hit to GT being canon and we seem to be getting a Vegeta and Freeza team up against Toppo. What I can't wait to see is what they do with Freeza at the end as he may be turning a new leaf and if any of the universes will be wished back. Keep in mind that 127 could've just been a lucky guess and everything after will be completely different but based on what we know they seem possible. If 17 dies then it'll make sense for Goku to train Uub to replace him for the next tournament that'll eventually be between U7 and the other 4 universes. In terms of the ending, I think the "suddenly" is time running out before the fight ends.
Duude wtf ? lol where did you get the idea that 17 will die ? that's not going to happen. they won't kill him off 17 has a family as well and they won't kill a beloved character like that. this show is not as dark as it used to be and even he does die which is highly unlikely they would revive him.

Not dark? We were watching how few universe where erased and have you forgot about the Future Trunks Arc? :roll:

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:So looks like freeza will actually redeem himself in a sense, which is exaclty what people didn´t want to happen ,what do you guys think about it?
Theres nothing suggesting that at all

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The Energy batteries things sounds like 17 losing a lot of his power in a definitive way, maybe, If leaks are true, he'll be more of a normal human and no more a warrior? He could lose most of his battle power, basically dropping to Yamcha or Krillin level, him dying is unlikely, though after this tournament he'll return to be no one in the shadows for aure imo, so a sacrifice would be awesome