"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yomi
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Yomi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:25 pm

The gr wrote: I will agree that he is overreacting however can anyone please explain me Jiren=No personality,i really want an explanation for this.
From what I've gathered from this fanbase; something eccentric.
:clap:

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 pm

What if that's Jiren's son?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't see anyway this backstory stuff with Jiren will be in any way exciting. I'd much rather him actually start talking in more than one-liners than fluff like this.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Venus wrote:Jiren may be a dull character, however I prefer him a thousand times, than Ribrianne with her love love love talk.
I think reading this will take time of poor CJStrikers life. :cry:

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Wow, I actually never thought of toei giving jiren some background story. Like, I think everyone is with me on this.
It was clearly foreshadowed before.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Michsi wrote:It's an exaggeration, but basically it's just that he is so emotionless and that his design is really bland. People just aren't won over by Jiren's version of the stoic, taciturn type even though it was obviously meant to be "cool."
Basically for the same reason I hear Broly has no personality basically. But it's ok to say that apparently XP.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Michsi wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Michsi wrote:Nobody wants him to be boring, I'd be more than happy if his backstory gave him an extra layer. As he is now, he is just super strong with a pinch of arrogance thrown in, and well, there's just nothing interesting about that character wise.
I may get the boring personality talk but let's be real here everybody 99% of tournament participants personality are bland as shit even if it was more then big J got
That may be true, but that doesn't make Jiren's case any better.
The gr wrote: I will agree that he is overreacting however can anyone please explain me Jiren=No personality,i really want an explanation for this.

It's an exaggeration, but basically it's just that he is so emotionless and that his design is really bland. People just aren't won over by Jiren's version of the stoic, taciturn type even though it was obviously meant to be "cool."
Agreed. I can take one or the other (a cool-looking stoic character or a bland-looking character with a strong personality) but for me Jiren has no redeeming qualities because to me he is a bland looking stoic character.

But maybe this flashback will change that for me.

Maybe I'll like Jiren after the flashback?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 pm

I would love it if it turns out that Jiren was raised by Toppos race, which got wiped out at some point, and his wish is to revive them.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm glad Jiren is getting a backstory and I hope it really makes his character interesting.

I've found him really dull up until now character-wise.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

HeroR wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Child Jiren! :lol: Hopefully this means he'll get some character development and, what every character should have... PERSONALITY.

And Jiren does has a personality.

Seriously, what's up with fans thinking dry and stoic isn't a personalty trait?
I don't get it either
He ain't the most interesting character but saying he doesn't have a personality is buzzword at this point just like Mary sue

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Let's look in this thread what been said
Boring
No personality
Honestly at this point nothing but pointless buzzwords from this fucking fanbase :lol:
What are you getting mad over? They’re legitimate complaints
Boring personality wise I can get but him having no personality is nothing buzzwords at this point

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Wait, that image is real? I saw it pop up on Geekdom's channel and thought it was fanart.

Ok, actual backstory flashbacks for Jiren. Cool, that's more than we get for a lot of Dragon Ball antagonists if you think about it. Maybe he truly is the deepest character the series has ever produced. We shall see.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm

The gr wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Let's look in this thread what been said
Boring
No personality
Honestly at this point nothing but pointless buzzwords from this fucking fanbase :lol:
What are you getting mad over? They’re legitimate complaints
I will agree that he is overreacting however can anyone please explain me Jiren=No personality,i really want an explanation for this.
When people say someone has "no personality," this is not meant to be taken literally. What they mean is the person has a very dull and boring one. In Jiren's case, he's the main antagonist and also written inconsistently, which makes his case worse.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Let's be honest, it's probably only going to be like a thirty second thing.

I don't even dislike Jiren or think it's 100% necessary for him to get a backstory like that. I like that his personality is inferred and understated, it's actually a rarity for Dragon Ball characters who usually wear everything on their sleeve. I just think it's funny we're actually getting this, especially after so many months of complaints about him being bland and not having an explanation.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Let's be honest, it's probably only going to be like a thirty second thing.

I don't even dislike Jiren or think it's 100% necessary for him to get a backstory like that. I like that his personality is inferred and understated, it's actually a rarity for Dragon Ball characters who usually wear everything on their sleeve. I just think it's funny we're actually getting this, especially after so many months of complaints about him being bland and not having an explanation.
Maybe there were some complaints and Toei decided to add something of a backstory in for him.

It could have been planned from the start though... but I think it's odd that were are getting it now with not that many episodes left.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm

pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Child Jiren! :lol: Hopefully this means he'll get some character development and, what every character should have... PERSONALITY.

And Jiren does has a personality.

Seriously, what's up with fans thinking dry and stoic isn't a personalty trait?
I don't get it either
He ain't the most interesting character but saying he doesn't have a personality is buzzword at this point just like Mary sue
I couldn't agree more. Some fans really are annoying with the personality thing, its cancerous.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:When people say someone has "no personality," this is not meant to be taken literally. What they mean is the person has a very dull and boring one. In Jiren's case, he's the main antagonist and also written inconsistently, which makes his case worse.
Finally someone who gets it. :thumbup: I would like to see more people who also come to realize this too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Then just say he is boring... why say he has no personality every single time...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Guntank

Post by Guntank » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Because saying no personality is similar to saying he's boring, I have to agree about Jiren but i'll be a bit more blunt Jiren/Toppo feel like wasted potential imo

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 pm

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 3465504769
[spoiler]So much for Frieza lying forgotten for the remainder of the tournament.[/spoiler]