"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm

HeroR wrote:
MisteryOne wrote:Well, I understand why the anime version is so shitty now. Toriyama just doesn't really care about DB or what happens with it. He only really cared when writing BoG.

It's so sad that the colours are actually really awesome. If SSGod didn't exist, I would have loved the form. Also, don't kill me for this, but Goku's base hair looks way better than the design that Toei has done, at least in silver. I will miss Omen trough. I hope Toyotaro just makes the form a silver-haired base Goku.
If he didn't care, he would have nothing to do with Dragon Ball like he has been doing for decades before DBE. He even outright said he cares in the 30th Anniversary book where he 'complained' about the Super anime.
The animation of early Super was atrocious, I could see him complained by that specially with how much fans...overcomplained? Not sure if thag's a term. Anyway if he truly cared, he wouldn't allow most of the nonsensical shit of the anime, or he wouldn't allow the manga and the anime being so vastly different. He outright stated that he doesn't care about people changing his story and that with the DB room he even has less room to do. Yet when designing a new form he got SSG Goku, changed the eyes, the hair color and a couple of lines and called it a day. He cares, but to a extremely small and carefree extent.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:14 pm

There's more to Ultra Instinct's appeal than just the simple design. The way it changes up the fight scenes was a big part of what made it so cool, and I have no doubt the mastered form will give us something special. I mean it had better, 110 and 116 will be hard to top.

The problem is, this is such a bad case of refusing to quit while you're ahead. The Omen form already became iconic within it's first appearance, and got even better when it came back for the Kefla fight. People outside the fan periphery have heard about it. It was supposed to signal the end of the hackneyed Super Saiyan recolours and give us something unique to Goku that had nothing to do with him being a Saiyan. Having a literal redrawing of God but with silver hair as the final be-all and end-all transformation is just a bad look. The series was already infamous for it, but if Ultra Instinct "Omen" was the crowbar trying to take the lid off the coffin, then "Mastered" is the fat bloke holding the crowbar deciding to just sit on it instead.

Here's what I'm thinking: if Ultra Instinct appeared in a future FighterZ DLC or the trailer for the new movie, will it be this version or the one we already know? Because I bet you that unless these final two episodes pull of something *really* special, then the reaction from the general public that doesn't follow the franchise closely but does look out for the big projects will be one of "meh." I think the "Omen" form would generate more hype and they're going to find it more marketable in the long-run.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 pm

[spoiler]Were they trying to do an emotional scene with imaginary Bulma screaming at Vegeta? If so, they failed miserably.[/spoiler]

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:29 pm

[spoiler]Oh my God, what was that? I made it just in time for the last six minutes, shit got real :shock: .[/spoiler]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Vegeta went out like a champ.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Hats off, Toei did a good job this time. I could've sworn Base weakened Vegeta would've put a fight against Jiren, but it didn't happen. Goku got slaughtered too.
THIS makes sense. Not that bullshit from the latter two episodes.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Finally, Shirtless Goku!... In two weeks. :(
Caulifla best girl! :)

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Well we gotta add Jiren to the list of fail final antagonists in Shounen.

He is about to become Acnologia 2.0.

Blanco is now canon!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:35 pm

That mastered UI in the NEP looks real mean. I can't wait to see what's in the extended NEP. Damn that two week wait though. :(

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Okay, I'm completely convinced the staff doesn't communicate at all considering Beerus' reaction to UI was exactly the same as when Goku went UI against Kefla.

And it seems like they nerfed Jiren hard, as if it wasn't obvious already.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Woah that was great, best episode in the tournament so far. I like how everything didn't happen exactly like what almost everyone predicted years ago.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:Okay, I'm completely convinced the staff doesn't communicate at all considering Beerus' reaction to UI was exactly the same as when Goku went UI against Kefla.

Netfed jiren? Did you not see the next episode preview? The dude is matching UI goku easily.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Bad writing in the first half of the episode. Vegeta should have gone out in 126 while he was still looking good. Pathetic call backs to the Namek and Kid Buu arcs and a absolute pathetic moment for Vegeta. This time his "My Bulma" and "Cabba" and "Pride" didn't save him. Good riddance! He won't be missed and good to see him doing what he does best and jobbing hard to the main antagonist. UI Omen confirmed to be FAR above Beyond Blue Vegeta and will only get stronger once he masters it. Where will Goku stand in comparison to the other Gods? No mention of Frieza, so he's still in.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:Okay, I'm completely convinced the staff doesn't communicate at all considering Beerus' reaction to UI was exactly the same as when Goku went UI against Kefla.
I'm pretty sure Beerus' reaction to Ultra Instinct was/is always the same: always focusing on his eyes and then making him say "Migatte no Goku'i" with a deep voice.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 pm

I know right. It was practically just that scene copied all over again and put here. Maybe we'll see it again when Goku shows off his white power.

Well yeah before he could literally just stand there and not have to flinch while base forms punched him. Not to mention his prattling on of "It's over" gets real annoying when it would be if he actually just you know...ended the fight himself instead of wanting to hear them give up first for some reason. Not to mention he so called powered up last time, and nothing at all felt different since everyone was doing exactly as well as they were doing before.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:

I know right. It was practically just that scene copied all over again and put here. Maybe we'll see it again when Goku shows off his white power.

Well yeah before he could literally just stand there and not have to flinch while base forms punched him. Not to mention his prattling on of "It's over" gets real annoying when it would be if he actually just you know...ended the fight himself instead of wanting to hear them give up first for some reason. Not to mention he so called powered up last time, and nothing at all felt different since everyone was doing exactly as well as they were doing before.
Not to mention that in #110 he literally just shrugged UI off and matched him blow for blow (when he was apparently not even using his full power yet). Here, he can't believe Goku dodged him and when he gets punched, he almost spills his guts out.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Not to mention that in #110 he literally just shrugged UI off and matched him blow for blow (when he was apparently not even using his full power yet). Here, he can't believe Goku dodged him and when he gets punched, he almost spills his guts out.
Bad writing. But I'm glad my boy Goku is back in this.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

Wasn't it said that UI was also getting stronger?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:

True he was kinda losing his shit here for a while, when last time he kinda just handled things. Perhaps this is a sign of Goku progressing with the form/state? Though next episode seems like they are basically equal again. Though really when Jiren has no emotion he's boring. When he tries to show a little something, he's inconsistent and boring XD.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!