"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 pm

darzap wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:DBS brand is a success, so maybe they aren't. As long as Dragon Ball keeps being entertaining, most people won't care about those details.
Complaining about lack of consistency is not as fun as tune in to watch the next episode.
Lol, that's straight apologetics for mediocrity. Dragon Ball is entertaining, I still care. By that logic, nobody who would still rather live his normal life than organizing a social movement to push for reelections should criticize the government. A show that used to be so original that it got people attached to its characters can live off that for quite some time, so I suppose they shouldn't care about the quality at all?

Also, the writing flaws of Super are not details. Compared to other popular stories with writers that cared (such as LotR or Harry Potter, even though those are more complex by orders of magnitude) Super is so inconsistent and reliant on Deus Ex Machina, it's not even funny.
People have their own opinions. Respect them and stop insulting and belliting people for something they like. This community is toxic.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5362
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 pm

darzap wrote:A show that used to be so original that it got people attached to its characters can live off that for quite some time, so I suppose they shouldn't care about the quality at all?
They care but they can't please everyone, so as long as they please the majority it's okay and that's why DBS is a success.
darzap wrote: Also, the writing flaws of Super are not details. Compared to other popular stories with writers that cared (such as LotR or Harry Potter, even though those are more complex by orders of magnitude) Super is so inconsistent and reliant on Deus Ex Machina, it's not even funny.
I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

StardustCrusaderX
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by StardustCrusaderX » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
darzap wrote:A show that used to be so original that it got people attached to its characters can live off that for quite some time, so I suppose they shouldn't care about the quality at all?
They care but they can't please everyone, so as long as they please the majority it's okay and that's why DBS is a success.
darzap wrote: Also, the writing flaws of Super are not details. Compared to other popular stories with writers that cared (such as LotR or Harry Potter, even though those are more complex by orders of magnitude) Super is so inconsistent and reliant on Deus Ex Machina, it's not even funny.
I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
Ikr? Wouldn't Hunter x Hunter be a better comparison to Game of Thrones given its current arc in the manga? :lol: Anyway, the discussion is starting to get off topic. Let's bring it back folks.

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1229
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MajinMan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

OverHeaven wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Why do people assume that Toei thinks we’re stupid enough to forget Freeza if they don’t show him? What if they expect us to go, “Wait, Freeza’s still in the ring. I wonder what he’s going to do.”
1-They purposely didn't show or mention his icon when they showed Zeno looking at Goku and Jiren icons on the GodPad. (Let's say the others forgot Frieza being there amongst all the action, what about Zeno who MUST have seen it?).
If what you say was the case, they could've shown the GodPan instead of his real body but they clearly want us to forget about him, and not wonder what he is going to do.

2-Old spoilers clearly stated that ONLY Jiren and Goku remain in the arena as a fact which is straight BS


The number of remaining people is a very important factor in determining the victor and it makes no sense for them to just simply ignore it this whole time. Especially for Universe 7.
I completely disagree. They don’t want us to “forget” about him, they want the characters in the show to “forget” about him. I really, really doubt Toei thinks everyone forgot about Freeza in two episodes. And remember, it’s only been like 1.5 minutes in their time since they’ve seen Freeza, while for us it’s been like a month. The characters forgetting about him for like 2 minutes is probably what Toei is going for.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

Rest in peace.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:As long as Dragon Ball keeps being entertaining, most people won't care about those details.
Complaining about lack of consistency is not as fun as tune in to watch the next episode.
I think consistency is very important as most will expect it in other things such as movies and games so I don't know why Super gets a pass for the lack of it. It seems like it gets away with a lot of things that others would get thrown under the bus for.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
GamerSkull
Regular
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Location: United States

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 am

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:As long as Dragon Ball keeps being entertaining, most people won't care about those details.
Complaining about lack of consistency is not as fun as tune in to watch the next episode.
I think consistency is very important as most will expect it in other things such as movies and games so I don't know why Super gets a pass for the lack of it. It seems like it gets away with a lot of things that others would get thrown under the bus for.
If this series didn’t have the Dragon Ball name attached to it, I’m fairly certain a lot more people wouldn’t accept all the things this series tries to get away with.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 am

GamerSkull wrote:
sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:As long as Dragon Ball keeps being entertaining, most people won't care about those details.
Complaining about lack of consistency is not as fun as tune in to watch the next episode.
I think consistency is very important as most will expect it in other things such as movies and games so I don't know why Super gets a pass for the lack of it. It seems like it gets away with a lot of things that others would get thrown under the bus for.
If this series didn’t have the Dragon Ball name attached to it, I’m fairly certain a lot more people wouldn’t accept all the things this series tries to get away with.

I'm no writer but I don't understand why in universe consistency is so difficult for this franchise.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 am

GamerSkull wrote:If this series didn’t have the Dragon Ball name attached to it, I’m fairly certain a lot more people wouldn’t accept all the things this series tries to get away with.
Of course not. Big name franchises and writers are known to get away with a lot more than smaller ones.
ToshioWrites wrote:I'm no writer but I don't understand why in universe consistency is so difficult for this franchise.
I think the main issue is the lack of time to work on each episode and the amount of writiers working on them. When the anime returns this is a major issue they need to address.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

darzap
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by darzap » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:People have their own opinions. Respect them and stop insulting and belliting people for something they like. This community is toxic.
There is not a single insult in my post towards a specific person, let alone FortuneSSJ. I'm criticizing a pattern, maybe you take criticism towards DBS personally? If anything is insultingly aimed at a person, it is, in fact, the following.
FortuneSSJ wrote:What's next, genius?!
What do you think is implied by that?
FortuneSSJ wrote:They care but they can't please everyone, so as long as they please the majority it's okay and that's why DBS is a success.
You can't please everyone by making a single soup because taste differs and there is no kind of soup liked by everybody. Yet, almost everybody would prefer not to have a 20 hairs floating at the soup's surface. Some might ignore it, but it's still straight carelessness. No chef would argue that it's a matter of taste.
FortuneSSJ wrote:I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
I'm comparing children's stories because it seems to be the argument, that children's stories are held to a lesser standard of writing quality. The point is, that even if a story is aimed towards children and teens, the writers may still care. I'm not saying DBS should be as complex as other stories at all, but it is simultaneously way simpler, yet it contradicts it's own previously established mechanics in every other episode. The comparison is more like "these kitchens have made 1000 soups and three of them have a hair in it, those kitchen has delivered 20 soups and 10 of them have hair in them. I'm not saying that kitchen should go into the mass soup production business, but it definitely work on its quality."

User avatar
Simere
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:28 am

darzap wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next, genius?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
I'm comparing children's stories because it seems to be the argument, that children's stories are held to a lesser standard of writing quality. The point is, that even if a story is aimed towards children and teens, the writers may still care.
Lord of the Rings isn't a children's story. I assume you mean The Hobbit?

darzap
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by darzap » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 am

Simere wrote:
darzap wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next, genius?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
I'm comparing children's stories because it seems to be the argument, that children's stories are held to a lesser standard of writing quality. The point is, that even if a story is aimed towards children and teens, the writers may still care.
Lord of the Rings isn't a children's story. I assume you mean The Hobbit?
Well, that's when I've read it but even the Hobbit book would serve this argument.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:35 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:I think it's funny you're comparing DBS to Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...What's next, genius?! Naruto vs Game of Thrones?!
The comparison isn't being used to ask which has better or more "adult" writing, just that DB as a story should be held to the same standerds as other stories in terms of having consistant writing. If DB is going to set certain things such as power levels (not numbers, just basic power scaling) and character attitudes, then it should stick with them just as you'd expect and demand any other show or movie to stick with the rules it sets up.

Lord of the rings and Harry Potter have their own rules that if the writers broke, people would question the skills of the writers and most likely even demand them to be replaced by others who know what they're doing. Why Super can get away with breaking the most basic of writing and production rules is completely beyond me.
FortuneSSJ wrote:They care but they can't please everyone, so as long as they please the majority it's okay and that's why DBS is a success.
So as long as the majority don't care about consistancy then it's OK to be inconsistant ? Most gamers are OK with microtransactions so I guess that's OK as well ? Most people buy things that are way above the price they should be at so is it OK for companies to rip everyone off ?

I swear you and others who defend Super's careless mistakes would rip apart any other franchise for doing less.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2217
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 am

A new preview image for episode 131.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

So now the ultimate question remains, are they both IN or OUT!???
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:A new preview image for episode 131.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

So now the ultimate question remains, are they both IN or OUT!???
Damm i think they are both in. That does mean Goku wasn't eliminated at all!

User avatar
Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 am
Location: Norway

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mercenary » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:21 am

So Goku is still in?

Yeah, it was too good to be true. They wouldn't have that big balls to eliminate him.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks to this pic, I have a feeling this ending will be another bizarre wtf-esque thing.

User avatar
FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by FrostByte » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 am

Goku is not eliminated.This is great news!

User avatar
OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm
Location: SA

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by OverHeaven » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:15 am

Maybe Goku was eliminated but Zeno allowed him to continue fighting?

There's still that weird part about Goku and Jiren looking at Zeno's eyes. Perhaps they told the climax battle should end if one side is unable to continue fighting, and not by ring out.


Anyway, this is good news, especially for Goku fans. Though he still couldn't beat Jiren by himself.

darzap
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by darzap » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 am

OverHeaven wrote:Maybe Goku was eliminated but Zeno allowed him to continue fighting?

There's still that weird part about Goku and Jiren looking at Zeno's eyes. Perhaps they told the climax battle should end if one side is unable to continue fighting, and not by ring out.


Anyway, this is good news, especially for Goku fans. Though he still couldn't beat Jiren by himself.
I sincerely hope, they don't go down that road of reversing a possible elimination of Goku. A victory after getting an extra chance against ToP rules would feel very unsatisfactory. I would take "Freeza cheap shots Jiren" over that, because cheap shotting is at least a n established part of the ToP and Freezes character.

Maybe Goku is falling and they have an intense staring scene mid-fall while the peanut gallery screams "Oh no, Goku"!" but Goku uses instantaneous movement to get back in before he gets properly eliminated.

Husig
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Husig » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:31 am

It was never stated in the spoilers that goku was eliminated. He was just ring out. So people went nuts. Afaik jiren was also ring out in 123. Was he eliminated? No. So i guess same happens with goku he was ring out but somehow he could pull himself back into the ring.

Post Reply