"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Loputousu
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Loputousu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Loputousu wrote:How the hell is that bad writing? Jiren is injured and far from full power now lol. You're just looking for excuses to whine.
Except that's just your headcanon, this episode do not imply that Jiren have lost power, just that Goku was about to defeat him. With all the feats presented by Jiren in this arc (being suppressed and still beating the shit of KKx20 SSJB with no effort) is stupid to show that 17 and Freeza can hold their own against him, no matter how injured he was.
MegaBossMan wrote:.... So should they just let Jiren win? I don't really get it. Goku's out of commission. They've got less than a minute left. Jiren stands in their way of victory. Naturally they know they're far-outclassed, but why should they stand down now when there's no other option left?
I'm not arguing that Jiren should win no matter what, just that was a terrible choice to have Goku out of comission while 17 and Freeza take on Jiren, when they could have Jiren blasting Goku off stage and Freeza doing the same with Jiren by blasting him on his back.
Soooooooo we've seen characters lose a huge chunk of their stamina when they're beaten up badly throughout the entire series and you're using this as an excuse of bad writing? Okay.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 am

Loputousu wrote:Soooooooo we've seen characters lose a huge chunk of their stamina when they're beaten up badly throughout the entire series and you're using this as an excuse of bad writing? Okay.
It was bad writing back then and it is now. Your argument is flawed.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10260
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 am

Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:28 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Loputousu wrote:Soooooooo we've seen characters lose a huge chunk of their stamina when they're beaten up badly throughout the entire series and you're using this as an excuse of bad writing? Okay.
It was bad writing back then and it is now. Your argument is flawed.
Since when did any character who got beat up bad didnt lose stamina?

kn83
Banned
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by kn83 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Ikr smh. Unless you have infinite stamina like 17, 18 and Buu, if you get beaten up severely you will lose much of your strength just like in real life. Its common sense.

At this point, its obviously that most people that constantly complain about DBS are slow. Yes the show has writing problems, but nowhere near to the degree the whiners and babies say it does.
Last edited by kn83 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kenneth La Torre
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am

I’m starting to love jiren, but not for the right reasons, but because his personality is a mess. He is basically a mentally ill character. He is traumatized by the death of his parents and he was about to kill the people on the stands just to take away what goku cares about (despite the fact that he doesn’t kill and is a heroe). That is something someone who is mentally ill would do. I feel bad for him honestly, especially when he said “I will not let that happen to me again”. You can tell toei was trying to do something good with jiren, but they failed on their execution.

This episode did change my perspective on jiren somewhat.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Losing power is not the issue and yes that the said character is a freaking titan compared to those who try to stand up to him no matter how beaten he was.
Professor Freeza wrote:Since when did any character who got beat up bad didnt lose stamina?
Vegeta on his first match with Jiren was beaten and assumed to have lost stamina, but in the next episode we see him unlocking a new form.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
Sandubadear
I Live Here
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 am
Location: Space Amazon

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:42 am

This isn't pokemon where your HP goes down but your attack is still the same lol, try getting your ass kicked and then see if your strength is still the same.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:45 am

Trying to compare reality with Dragon Ball is not a good argument either as I never saw anyone in real life gaining stamina by being beaten up
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.


User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:59 am

prince212 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Daishinkan said 17 died, if 17 somehow survives it will make him look like a total moron.

And the 2nd batch of spoilers pretty much told us Jiren is getting erased next week. Freeza win is pretty much sealed.
Yes he will look like a moron , even more than everybody ignoring that freeza is still there.
Will be great imo because I really liked mvp 17 and also some unspoiled thing will be great , but that is very unclear and may be nonsense. 17 no ki fact helps and may be Jiren and freeza standing tie and 17 breaking the balance will help .. but again , that’s way unlikely to happen. I just like unexpected things to happen , and the fact that Goku seems to don’t get the big win already gave me something about it , because after 128 episode I was convinced I knew the end and ..no, I didn’t
Just wanna repost my own post that I made last week hahahahahaha, when nobody expected a17 to be in the picture
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5109
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:09 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Losing power is not the issue and yes that the said character is a freaking titan compared to those who try to stand up to him no matter how beaten he was.
Professor Freeza wrote:Since when did any character who got beat up bad didnt lose stamina?
Vegeta on his first match with Jiren was beaten and assumed to have lost stamina, but in the next episode we see him unlocking a new form.
Exactly.

Losing stamina = getting weaker is fine.

Losing stamina = getting stronger is bad.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dragono » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:34 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Losing power is not the issue and yes that the said character is a freaking titan compared to those who try to stand up to him no matter how beaten he was.
Professor Freeza wrote:Since when did any character who got beat up bad didnt lose stamina?
Vegeta on his first match with Jiren was beaten and assumed to have lost stamina, but in the next episode we see him unlocking a new form.
Exactly.

Losing stamina = getting weaker is fine.

Losing stamina = getting stronger is bad.
but that commentor was saying its bad that jiren losing stamina makes him weaker.

User avatar
8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by 8bitdee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:49 am

sintzu wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:As long as Dragon Ball keeps being entertaining, most people won't care about those details.
Complaining about lack of consistency is not as fun as tune in to watch the next episode.
I think consistency is very important as most will expect it in other things such as movies and games so I don't know why Super gets a pass for the lack of it. It seems like it gets away with a lot of things that others would get thrown under the bus for.
It gets away with it because you are watching it. Like I said in another thread, you vote with your eyeballs and wallet. Toei is in the money making business, just like every animation studio, and when they see the financial success of Super DESPITE the inconsistencies and flaws, to them the success means they're doing a good (enough) product that people will continue to support them. If you don't like something, stop watching it. Take Marvels MCU for example. The reason they have come so far is because they're doing something people like. And it's why a lot of their movies follow the same old formula, because it works. People are suckers for it. When people like what they're getting, they give Marvel a billion dollars for Black Panther. When people don't like what's being done with a product, as was the case with Justice League then people give it half a billion less. People voted with their eyeballs and wallets and now you see Warner and DC trying to change their cinematic universe strategy to make the future movies better.

Same with this. If Toei was doing financially bad with Super, they'd rethink their strategy when it comes creating this product to try and make it better. But they're not. Super is a financial success for them and because people won't stop watching it. They are allowed to get away with the flaws.
You can go online and complain about everything you don't like about it, but at the end of the day you're giving Toei your time and money (assuming you're not watching illegally), so you're giving them the message that you're okay with what you're getting. (And if you were watching it illegally, then you have less of a right to complain.)

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by omaro34 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:01 am

Caught up with Super now, good to be back.

I hope to god next week's last episode doesn't leave fans with a bad memory. Lots of times when one looks back at a series the last episode is what they might remember due to recency bias.

I was hoping the tournament would have been wrapped up by now. They are still fighting which likely means the events that occur after the tournament will be rushed.

Hope I'm wrong and for Super's sake, let's hope next episode finishes strong. Tonight was good especially from an animation standpoint.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:02 am

You know I wouldn't be surprised if Android 17 wins this whole thing and wishes for the boat. That just seems like something Toriyama would do.

Gigantic multi universal tournament, the winning prize, a boat.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 am

So when is Hit's clone gonna show himself...? :lol:

Loputousu
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Loputousu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Loputousu wrote:Soooooooo we've seen characters lose a huge chunk of their stamina when they're beaten up badly throughout the entire series and you're using this as an excuse of bad writing? Okay.
It was bad writing back then and it is now. Your argument is flawed.
Yeah you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Got it.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Losing power when you have the shit beat out of you is bad writing?
Losing power is not the issue and yes that the said character is a freaking titan compared to those who try to stand up to him no matter how beaten he was.
Professor Freeza wrote:Since when did any character who got beat up bad didnt lose stamina?
Vegeta on his first match with Jiren was beaten and assumed to have lost stamina, but in the next episode we see him unlocking a new form.
Exactly.

Losing stamina = getting weaker is fine.

Losing stamina = getting stronger is bad.
That's not what he's saying. Can you read more carefully please?


User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:04 am

Outside of nakama power,my biggest problem with the drama was:
Takami: But you have to be careful not to let Dragon Ball get too sentimental. You’ve got to protect the world that Toriyama-sensei created. Vegeta adds some good flavoring into the mix.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Post Reply