"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:41 pm

OverHeaven wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote: I think they were betting on the target demographic for the show (which are kids) to forget. But not us tho :lol:
Are you serious? This is a simple thing even for kids to understand and is very obvious. Why some of you always talk as if kids are complete morons who understand nothing lol. At least I know I and my friends were watching more complicated stuff when I was a kid, with blood too (shonen level, not too much).

We're talking about kids let's say 10-14 years old or something, right? not 6 y.o
Hmm, dunno who you are talking to here :think:, as *I* definitely never said or implied kids are incompetent morons. I said, they (as in Toei) were betting on the kids watching (them being 12 or younger, as 13-14 are the beginning of teenage years and teenagers aren't "kids") forgetting Freeza was there and not necessarily caring about adults' perception of the show. Which, by all means, would be a pretty stupid bet on Toei's part. I don't necessarily appreciate at times how the writing insults the intelligence of the viewing audience, don't get me wrong, but it's not as if Toei necessarily cares as much about any age outside of the target demographic and the money that's coming in. :lol:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Usopp: It's not over yet, is it? No matter what, no matter the peril, you've always sprung back! You'll definitely be able to defeat Lucci! I believe in you! So get up, Luffy!
Lucci: Impossible! You shouldn't have any more stamina!
Luffy: Lucci, it ain't over yet!
Lucci: How? How can you stand after being beaten so many times, Monkey D. Luffy?!
Luffy: Robin and Sogeking, and everyone else are trustin' me. I swear on that faith I can never back down now!

Sakura: Naruto isn't fighting only for himself. It's because he's bearing our hopes too.
Kakashi: Sakura's right. Naruto has people who help raise each other up. Not only do we all treasure each other greatly, but our existence also gives Naruto strength. I'm sure he doesn't believe, even for a moment, that he came this far by himself.
Gaara: It's all because of Naruto that we're here right now. When we first met, some of us fought or were enemies, but here we all are, trusting Naruto.
[...]
Sasuke: Who cares about friendship? Who cares about trust? To accept that would be to deny everything that I've ever been. I won't believe in such power. Such a thing is easily erased!

Did anyone noticed that Toei combined these 2 scenes from Naruto and One Piece in episode 130?
They sound so similar.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Usopp: It's not over yet, is it? No matter what, no matter the peril, you've always sprung back! You'll definitely be able to defeat Lucci! I believe in you! So get up, Luffy!
Lucci: How? How can you stand after being beaten so many times, Monkey D. Luffy?!
Luffy: Robin and Sogeking, and everyone else are trustin' me. I swear on that faith I can never back down now!

Sakura: Naruto isn't fighting only for himself. It's because he's bearing our hopes too.
Kakashi: Sakura's right. Naruto has people who help raise each other up. Not only do we all treasure each other greatly, but our existence also gives Naruto strength. I'm sure he doesn't believe, even for a moment, that he came this far by himself.
Gaara: It's all because of Naruto that we're here right now. When we first met, some of us fought or were enemies, but here we all are, trusting Naruto.
[...]
Sasuke: Who cares about friendship? Who cares about trust? To accept that would be to deny everything that I've ever been. I won't believe in such power. Such a thing is easily erased!

Did anyone noticed that Toei combined these 2 scenes from Naruto and One Piece in episode 130?
They sound so similar.
Yes, I did and Doctor. did, which is still hilarious how similar it sounds :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm

thegamer23 wrote:That "exploding back" shot was strange enough tho. Mmmm.
That has Evangelion vibes!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Too bad they didn't had the guts to show this in a normal scene instead of that black filter
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
thegamer23 wrote:That "exploding back" shot was strange enough tho. Mmmm.
That has Evangelion vibes!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Too bad they didn't had the guts to show this in a normal scene instead of that black filter
Meh, looks much more atmospheric and dire with the background change.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:09 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Usopp: It's not over yet, is it? No matter what, no matter the peril, you've always sprung back! You'll definitely be able to defeat Lucci! I believe in you! So get up, Luffy!

[...]

They sound so similar.
They're shonen animes after all. Generic type, to the core.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Mercenary wrote:

[...]

They sound so similar.
Uhh I don't think those lines were actually in those animes. Didn't Doctor just switch out the names to show that those kind of lines could fit in other animes ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 pm

kinisking wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Lucci: Impossible! You shouldn't have any more stamina!

[...]
Uhh I don't think those lines were actually in those animes. Didn't Doctor just switch out the names to show that those kind of lines could fit in other animes ?
I doubt he would invent these lines just to prove a point.

by Doctor.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Lucci: Impossible! You shouldn't have any more stamina!

[...]
I doubt he would invent these lines just to prove a point.
That’s exactly what he did.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41582&start=380#p1479852
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 pm

kinisking wrote:
Mercenary wrote:

[...]

They sound so similar.
The first one it’s for sure .. don’t remember line by line but the meaning is kinda the same same for sure .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Helios518 wrote:That’s exactly what he did.

So you're also telling me that perucho1990 just copy and past his comment in this thread not knowing these if these dialogues happened in those series just for shit and giggles?
perucho1990 wrote:Did anyone noticed that Toei combined these 2 scenes from Naruto and One Piece in episode 130?
They sound so similar.

by Doctor.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes, I literally just switched out the DB characters for OP and Naruto characters. The lines are taken straight out of DBS #130. If they sound too similar to specific moments in One Piece or Naruto, then that proves my point about how generic the dialogue in #130 was and how much the conflict lacked an identity of its own.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yes, I literally just switched out the DB characters for OP and Naruto characters. The lines are taken straight out of DBS #130. If they sound too similar to specific moments in One Piece or Naruto, then that proves my point about how generic the dialogue in #130 was and how much the conflict lacked an identity of its own.
I don't even think the conversation between Luffy or Lucci was as generic as the one between Goku or Jiren last episode, granted my memory is not the greatest but from what I remember of that fight I don't think their dialogue was super generic. Yeah while I liked the episode I can't argue that the writing of the episode wasn't all that great but then again it really hasn't been that good this entire arc outside of a few episodes.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:52 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Helios518 wrote:That’s exactly what he did.

So you're also telling me that perucho1990 just copy and past his comment in this thread not knowing these if these dialogues happened in those series just for shit and giggles?
perucho1990 wrote:Did anyone noticed that Toei combined these 2 scenes from Naruto and One Piece in episode 130?
They sound so similar.
Yes, that's exactly what I think he did.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 pm

I've gotta say, that usually it's Toei the one dropping the ball, but over the course of DBS Toriyama's writing has been lackluster. With this Jiren fight, Toei has gone above and beyond what Toriyama's given them. Not to say that Toriyama has ran out of his ideas. I do think these ideas are in fact brilliant. The 12 universes, GoDs, Ultra Instinct, are all great and fresh ideas. The problem is that Toriyama didn't do much with them. His ideas had immense potential, but he took the lazy route. Instead of exploring these universes through an arc, it's just tournament after tournament. Even with Jiren, the main adversary in the series, he was staunchly against thoroughly elaborating his character. His creative juices are still kicking and the ideas are good, it's just the exploration of those ideas/notions are superficial, lazy and bland.

DBS has been more frustrating than anything. Not because it's bad, because if it was just bad, you'd just leave it at that. It's frustrating because it could have been so much more. Imo it even had the potential to surpass DBZ/DB in a lot of respects, but you could tell the lack of enthusiasm was prevalent in so much of the series. It felt like a young talented athlete who never consistently became a top player, but just reached those heights people expected him to once in a while.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 pm

DragonHermit wrote:I've gotta say, that usually it's Toei the one dropping the ball, but over the course of DBS Toriyama's writing has been lackluster. With this Jiren fight, Toei has gone above and beyond what Toriyama's given them. Not to say that Toriyama has ran out of his ideas. I do think these ideas are in fact brilliant. The 12 universes, GoDs, Ultra Instinct, are all great and fresh ideas. The problem is that Toriyama didn't do much with them. His ideas had immense potential, but he took the lazy route. Instead of exploring these universes through an arc, it's just tournament after tournament. Even with Jiren, the main adversary in the series, he was staunchly against thoroughly elaborating his character. His creative juices are still kicking and the ideas are good, it's just the exploration of those ideas/notions are superficial, lazy and bland.

DBS has been more frustrating than anything. Not because it's bad, because if it was just bad, you'd just leave it at that. It's frustrating because it could have been so much more. Imo it even had the potential to surpass DBZ/DB in a lot of respects, but you could tell the lack of enthusiasm was prevalent in so much of the series. It felt like a young talented athlete who never consistently became a top player, but just reached those heights people expected him to once in a while.
Toriyama doesn't actually write DBS (either version). He only gives a blueprint of what major events are supposed to happen (like who beats who for example) and its up to Toei (anime) or Toyotaro (manga) to do the actual execution and storyboard. He's more involved with Super than he was with GT though.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am

DragonHermit wrote:I've gotta say, that usually it's Toei the one dropping the ball, but over the course of DBS Toriyama's writing has been lackluster. With this Jiren fight, Toei has gone above and beyond what Toriyama's given them. Not to say that Toriyama has ran out of his ideas. I do think these ideas are in fact brilliant. The 12 universes, GoDs, Ultra Instinct, are all great and fresh ideas. The problem is that Toriyama didn't do much with them. His ideas had immense potential, but he took the lazy route. Instead of exploring these universes through an arc, it's just tournament after tournament. Even with Jiren, the main adversary in the series, he was staunchly against thoroughly elaborating his character. His creative juices are still kicking and the ideas are good, it's just the exploration of those ideas/notions are superficial, lazy and bland.

I agree with this sentiment. Never liked the idea of this big tournament to happen so soon in the series, the premise is definitely good, but lacks development. I think Toei did the best they could though their writers are not cohesive. I'll wait for how Toyotaro will conclude this arc, then we can be sure on who to blame on all this.

by Doctor.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am

Jiren trying to blow up U7's bench was cool. I like the fact he attacked Goku's strength, the real enemy.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 am

Miracles wrote:Jiren trying to blow up U7's bench was cool. I like the fact he attacked Goku's strength, the real enemy.
Same here.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:44 am

Miracles wrote:Jiren trying to blow up U7's bench was cool. I like the fact he attacked Goku's strength, the real enemy.
It seemed to me he did it just to prove a point, not to defeat Goku. That the power coming from friendship is fragile and can be easily undone because his friends are 'weaklings'. Building a castle on sand, so to speak.