"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:34 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm Considering how good the animation of the Broly is, I’m almost inclined to say that I’d rather they just do movies from here on out, as opposed to bringing back the television series. Plus, if they bring back the television series, there’s a chance that just do an adaptation of Broly, which I’d rather they not do. Of course, doing something like that would likely entail skipping over the Galactic Prisoners arc, so that would be bound to confuse people.

I just feel the Galactic Prisoner arc isn't a short "manga-only-filler" story anymore, it's a huge arc in the main storyline, in which Goku and Vegeta are truely trying to evolve and break new shelves. It would be a mistake IMO if they ignored all that content only for the sake of optimally animating a new movie. What you can tell in a movie is always limited. I would expect they'd have the resources (if you see how much they are making) to do at least a 24-episode run a year, without getting in trouble for a new movie.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Stampede was by most accounts even better animated than Broly was and One Piece had an ongoing anime while Toei was making the movie so why can't they do the same for their biggest moneymaker?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:31 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm Stampede was by most accounts even better animated than Broly was and One Piece had an ongoing anime while Toei was making the movie so why can't they do the same for their biggest moneymaker?
I'm thinking it was to reorganize their structure of making animated DB stuff. The first 2 arcs were fraught with problems of how they were handling things with the schedule they had the animation team under & the constantly changing showrunners every arc didn't help, since the writing turned very inconsistent (Goku's characterization also didn't help there from early on) to go with the animation quality. Giving the series a rest for a bit is for the best so they can regroup & pick it back up at some point. I'm hoping they'll come out of the gate strong with a new series in the near future.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm Stampede was by most accounts even better animated than Broly was and One Piece had an ongoing anime while Toei was making the movie so why can't they do the same for their biggest moneymaker?
It’s not that I don’t think they could pull off having movies with great animation that air concurrently with a television series, it’s that the television series will inevitably look like a massive downgrade after the Broly movie. Assuming they adapt the movie when the anime returns, we’re just going to get a significantly uglier version of a story we’ve already seen. Hell, BoG and RF don’t even look that good, but they look downright beautiful when placed alongside Super’s retelling of the films.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:46 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:34 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm Considering how good the animation of the Broly is, I’m almost inclined to say that I’d rather they just do movies from here on out, as opposed to bringing back the television series. Plus, if they bring back the television series, there’s a chance that just do an adaptation of Broly, which I’d rather they not do. Of course, doing something like that would likely entail skipping over the Galactic Prisoners arc, so that would be bound to confuse people.

I just feel the Galactic Prisoner arc isn't a short "manga-only-filler" story anymore, it's a huge arc in the main storyline, in which Goku and Vegeta are truely trying to evolve and break new shelves. It would be a mistake IMO if they ignored all that content only for the sake of optimally animating a new movie. What you can tell in a movie is always limited. I would expect they'd have the resources (if you see how much they are making) to do at least a 24-episode run a year, without getting in trouble for a new movie.
I'd love a fleshed out arc of broly at this point in addition to galactic patrol arc.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am

I wonder if maybe the next movie is set on Planet Sadala, with Vegeta having a major role and that’s why Horikawa is hyping it up.

Toei/Shueisha and the DB Room for sure must know that there’s a high demand for Sadala and Yamoshi to be shown, so they may have pressured Toriyama into writing something for it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:18 am

emperior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am I wonder if maybe the next movie is set on Planet Sadala, with Vegeta having a major role and that’s why Horikawa is hyping it up.

Toei/Shueisha and the DB Room for sure must know that there’s a high demand for Sadala and Yamoshi to be shown, so they may have pressured Toriyama into writing something for it.
They'd know that Toriyama shouldn't be pressured into anything or he might quit.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:18 am
emperior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am I wonder if maybe the next movie is set on Planet Sadala, with Vegeta having a major role and that’s why Horikawa is hyping it up.

They'd know that Toriyama shouldn't be pressured into anything or he might quit.
They already pressured him for Broly’s movie as they sent him many ideas until he decided to go with Broly.

They have to because the serie must go forward and if Toriyama is out of ideas they pitch him some until he writes something.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 am

We just had a movie that heavily revolves around the Saiyan race. I’d rather the next movie focus on something else.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 am

emperior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:18 am

They already pressured him for Broly’s movie as they sent him many ideas until he decided to go with Broly.

They have to because the serie must go forward and if Toriyama is out of ideas they pitch him some until he writes something.
I think we use the word "pressure" quite differently.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 am

emperior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 amThey already pressured him for Broly’s movie as they sent him many ideas until he decided to go with Broly.

The series doesn't HAVE to move forward. It could end rather than pitching every conceivable idea hoping one sticks. I don't think they intend for this to be a long term strategy.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 am
emperior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:47 amThey already pressured him for Broly’s movie as they sent him many ideas until he decided to go with Broly.

The series doesn't HAVE to move forward. It could end rather than pitching every conceivable idea hoping one sticks. I don't think they intend for this to be a long term strategy.

It's not because a story has been going on for very long and is partially working on nostalgia, automatically no additional good content can be made or new things can't be explored. Those reasons that are always put up are no exact science either. It's something personal and subjective. This might be your opinion, as you are entitled to. But as you can see in this thread, there are still enough people that would like the anime to continue as well, for whom it makes sense.

I do have the impression some people were disappointed in the first part of Super, which i can somehow understand, but later on could no longer turn their carts or weren't prepared to, but that doesn't mean everyone has to take the same unconstructive and unuseful action to deprive oneself from the enjoyment of future content because it's 'bad nostalgia' according to some. It's not because you jump out of a window, others are going to do the exact same thing.

If you look at the reactions on the manga-thread, i do have the impression a substantial part of the fandom actually appreciates the current Moro arc, being enjoyable additional content. Toyotaro can work out ideas under supervision of Toriyama. If approved by Toryama. TOEI only has to adapt and no longer has to concentrate on the story aspect. If it went somewhere really wrong in the first part of Super, it's because TOEI had to concentrate more on writing than animating, while this may not be their strongest asset. I think they however should take responsibility within their roles as animators within the franchise and further adapt the 'canon' storyline, as this stands to reason.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pmIt's not because a story has been going on for very long and is partially working on nostalgia, automatically no additional good content can be made. Those reasons that are always put up are no exact science either. It's something personal and subjective.
This might be your opinion, as you are entitled to. But as you can see in this thread, there are still enough people that would like the anime to continue as well, for whom it makes sense.
I took issue with him saying they pressured Toriyama and the series MUST move forward. Of course, I do feel the fan base should be willing to move on and let the franchise rest if it's mainly to experience more nostalgia. Realistically, Toriyama being out of ideas and relying on them pitching him ones he might like isn't going to last. He apparently rejected a few ideas before deciding to use Broly.

Given the storylines we've seen so far, it's clear they're struggling coming up with new ideas. At some point, they might resort to using ideas that were previously rejected in an effort to keep it going a little longer. In your opinion, when do you believe would be a good time to end it? When they think of a good ending or until they've exhausted every idea possible?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pmIt's not because a story has been going on for very long and is partially working on nostalgia, automatically no additional good content can be made. Those reasons that are always put up are no exact science either. It's something personal and subjective.
This might be your opinion, as you are entitled to. But as you can see in this thread, there are still enough people that would like the anime to continue as well, for whom it makes sense.
I took issue with him saying they pressured Toriyama and the series MUST move forward. Of course, I do feel the fan base should be willing to move on and let the franchise rest if it's mainly to experience more nostalgia. Realistically, Toriyama being out of ideas and relying on them pitching him ones he might like isn't going to last. He apparently rejected a few ideas before deciding to use Broly.

Given the storylines we've seen so far, it's clear they're struggling coming up with new ideas. At some point, they might resort to using ideas that were previously rejected in an effort to keep it going a little longer. In your opinion, when do you believe would be a good time to end it? When they think of a good ending or until they've exhausted every idea possible?

I think now at this point would be the worst possible timing to end the anime run. Because the story as well the animation are getting better. The only problem is we haven't seen them really combined. I think this generation deserves to see a good animated well-written second part of Super. The new art and animation lies on the table, the manga is getting better and better according to many people, so what are we waiting for?

If it ends, let the manga and anime run finish together in glory, but please spare us this moneysaving combination of a fulltime manga with an occasional movie every two or three years and a massive load of unadapted material. That would suck. A movie only formula is better than nothing, but everything is said with that. Dragon Ball is an anime in my opinion.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:05 pm

It should end when they get to a good stopping point and tie up the loose threads. The anime ending with Goku reviving space Hitler is a very large loose thread. The movie that sets up a rematch between Broly and Freeza is also a loose thread. So they're clearly not there yet.

Plus seeing a U6 Planet Sadala arc would be pretty neat.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Geekdom's new video appeared on my recommendation list. Is there any new info or is it just him discussing Ryo's two tweets for 10 minutes?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 pm Geekdom's new video appeared on my recommendation list. Is there any new info or is it just him discussing Ryo's two tweets for 10 minutes?
Pobably him discussing the tweets & rumors, then giving his take on things.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:49 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 pm Geekdom's new video appeared on my recommendation list. Is there any new info or is it just him discussing Ryo's two tweets for 10 minutes?
Just him discussing Horikawa's tweets and talking about how everyone kept "shooting the messenger" in regards to him talking about the Super continuations (or lack thereof).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is another dragon ball related tweet or not.

https://twitter.com/ryohorikawa/status/ ... 9759662080

Unrelated question: How hard on the throat is being a VA for Dragon Ball? What kind of voice exercises do the actors do
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 pm I'm not sure if this is another dragon ball related tweet or not.

https://twitter.com/ryohorikawa/status/ ... 9759662080

Unrelated question: How hard on the throat is being a VA for Dragon Ball? What kind of voice exercises do the actors do
From Google translate :

December 8th. Hold an event on Earth! I don't want to tell you what to sing! But never say from the strongest staff in the universe! It is said ^_^ In order to defeat you, I will challenge the unknown thing called talk from the start! Fufufu! Mr. R Fujimoto
@Rfujimoto
! Let's get involved in the talk! After all, I'm the strongest!